Driving Techniques & Controller Setup

bodfred

Would like to get people's input on this, me & mate were playing online co-op & I got DSQ'd. I decided to spectate his car around the track, I noticed the following about his technique:

1. Every corner he brakes at, huge amount of brake smoke out of front tyres!

2. Accelerate out of corners the engine rev's up to max. straight away.

Our controller setup is X for accelerate & square for brake. So this got me thinking, if these are buttons, the button is either pressed in or not, so no acceleration vs. accelerator jammed to the floor, same for brakes, no brakes vs. jam on.

I found a technique where long sweeping corners instead of breaking shift down the gears while still accelerated this gained us some time.

I am thinking of switching controls back of the default triggers for brake and accelerate, so these functions would not be black & white, because with a trigger you don't need to press it in all the way, so in theory apply the correct amount of brake accelerate as needed.

Would like to gather some tip on this & how people drive / setup their controls, because this x & square nonsense were using at the moment won't cut it when it comes to gold time attacks etc..

Cheers.

Hi. Ignore the locking up smoke that you see when spectating your friend. You will see this if you spectate anyone. Its not something they see on their screen as they are driving. It is for visual effect only to make it more realistic for someone watching. With ABS enabled it is impossible to lock up under breaking.

The engine revving up to max straight away out of corners could be a number of things. It could be gearing, entry and exit speed, throttle application or traction control disabled. Using x and square for accelerate and breaking can be effective and it doesn't have to be an on off case. It is possible to feather the buttons to get the desired effect, but its harder to get right compared with triggers.

As for downshifting through corners instead of breaking, this is quicker through a lot of corners. A few I can think of are 1st sector at Austin. A few corners in s1 at Suzuka and theres probably quite a few I cant think of now. But theres no point being fast through a corner and coming out the corner slowly. Exit speed is more important than entry speed, especially for slow corners leading onto a straight. You are much better breaking earlier, carrying less speed and getting on the throttle earlier.