An Amateur's Guide to Timed To Perfection Trophy

staticsnake

F1 2011 PS Vita - An Amateur's Guide to Timed To Perfection Trophy

Yes, I'm the amateur. Thought I might add here what I'm doing in case it helps others (see setups below wall of text :whistle:) and I'm putting it in my own thread so it's more easily findable. For the most part I've been using all the tips I find all over these forums (thanks everyone), but in some cases I have to tweak things further. Some general tips include learning when you can brake late in some corners and overdriving when you can.

Also, I found that in some cases running a different line into/out of a corner than the driving line helped. Sometimes I could position my car better by taking a corner differently and either carrying my speed through better or at least getting a better drive off. Keep in mind you accelerate better with the wheels straight, you'll accelerate slower while turning, so sometimes I used this to my advantage to find ways to shave off precious time by positioning my drive off better so as to accelerate more straight. Keep all of this in mind as I ran a lot of laps at some tracks with the same setups and would sometimes find that running a corner or two in very specific ways or using my DRS/KERS in better ways would suddenly give me a full second over the Gold time required (especially hairpin turns). Strangely enough your driving style matters a ton.

I used my ghosts for help but they can also be a distraction. As they say in racing, remember to race the track, not the cars. So focus on the track and where you can do better in spite of the ghost car's position. Finally, I found that sometimes I came across the finish line slower on a 2nd lap than on a restart, so I'd restart the lap. I've also notice that restarts coming off corners where the computer is driving you (before you are given control) can vary drastically, and sometimes the computer restarts you much faster/slower, so use this to your advantage as well.

Anyways, here's my setups I saved from Gold Time Trials (I'll update as I finish more). On a side note, I will state that for some reason my setups seemed to randomly get reset, or at least parts of them (like the ride height), so double-check after you save them or something. Just hit RESET in tuning and then make ONLY these settings changes (do in order because changing some settings on SIMPLE TUNING sometimes resets the Ride Height):

Melbourne

My Time: 01:24.036

Aerodynamics: 90%

Balance: 100%

Gears: 71%

Suspension: 75%

Ride Height: 35%

Kuala Lumpur

My Time: 01:31.739

Aerodynamics: 75%

Gears: 70%

Ride Height: 100% <---maybe try lowering for even faster

Shanghai

My Time: 01:32.677

Aerodynamics: 60%

Gears: 65%

Suspension: 50%

Ride Height: 30%

Istanbul

My Time: 01:25.156

Aerodynamics: 100%

Gears: 100%

Suspension: 0%

Ride Height: 70%

**I found another shortcut glitch at the end of this track as well. When you are coming off the fast straight to the final chicane (turns 12, 13, and 14), slow down and turn left on 12, but don't slow all the way. Slow just enough to go off track at a 90 degree turn so the wall is just to the right of you and head straight to turn 14. The next part is hard and I could only replicate this twice. There is a patch of pavement off track and then some grass between this patch and the track (at turn 14). If you drive straight onto turn 14 the lap won't count, but if you somehow put your car on the grass driving between the pavement patch and the track on turn 14 with your left tires on the red/white track edge, then turn onto turn 14 slightly at roughly just before the center of that corner. Somehow if you do this right it won't register that you cheated and the lap will still count (the top-right timer will still be there).

Catalunya

My Time: 01:22.478

Aerodynamics: 100%

Suspension: 100%

Ride Height: 100% <---maybe try lowering for even faster

Monte Carlo

My Time: 01:19.108

Aerodynamics: 0%

Gears: 0%

Ride Height: 80%

Montreal

My Time: 01:08.092

Aerodynamics: 95%

Ride Height: 25%

Valencia

My Time: 01:34.089

Aerodynamics: 55%

Ride Height: 20%

Silverstone

My Time: 01:25.156

Ride Height: 10%

**I used the shortcut glitch at the end, completely bypassing the final chicane set. Just go faster and stay left coming off the final 90 degree turn before the final chicane, this will be the third to last corner. Come off fast onto the grass to the left and stay left. Hug the left side of the final corner as you come around to the finish line and don't come back on the track as you finish the lap.

Nurburgring

My Time: 01:29.615

Aerodynamics: 50%

Ride Height: 50%

Budapest

My Time: 01:16.841

Aerodynamics: 35%

Spa

My Time: 01:41.170

Aerodynamics: 70%

**I used the shortcut glitch at the end, completely bypassing the final chicane set. Just fly as fast as possible past the 2nd to last corner straight towards the finish line, then run on the grass on the left of the finish line.

Monza

My Time: 01:19.904

Aerodynamics: 60%

Gears: 75%

Ride Height: 10%

Singapore

My Time: 01:38.649

Aerodynamics: 20%

Ride Height: 20%

Suzuka

My Time: 01:31.986

Aerodynamics: 10%

Gears: 55%

Yeongam

My Time: 01:38.144

New Delhi

My Time: 01:26.790

Yas Marina

My Time: 01:36.333

Aerodynamics: 88%

Gears: 75%

Ride Height: 25%

Sao Paulo

My Time: 01:12.121

Aerodynamics: 40%

I just want to state that I feel like an amateur and at first thought this would be pointless, but as some people point out, this merely takes some patience and focus. Just come back to it another time if it's frustrating you. I am in no way an excellent or pro gamer and in some cases I surprised myself that I could do so well at some of these tracks. So hang in there cause this can be done by amateurs too. I don't think this is as hard as it seems. Of course I'll feel better saying that once I finally get all of them. Good luck everyone.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Thanks for the tips on the setups! I just finished all the gold medals after a very long break with the game.

I used to get so frustrated not being able to complete more than half of these tracks with gold during the time trials. On many of them I wasn't even close, even with the setups listed above.

I'm not a racing game expert by any means. What I was screwing up was my usage of the DRS and KERS. My problem was specifically with DRS (Triangle button by default..). I was using it almost all the time. As long as I had control of my car I was mashing it for extra boost...and that's what was killing my times.

After figuring out that I should only be using it on the straights and on lighter curves where no slowdown/braking was required, my times dropped a few seconds on every track. I pretty much only used it in 3rd gear or higher as a general rule. After I figured that out, I was able to complete my final 10 gold medals in under an hour, after wasting dozens of hours trying to get any of them complete before.

Edited by Misbik

• 10 months later...

One other thing you can do is add negative camber to the front wheels (like -2.00) on tracks where the time is in the corners; you'll turn in much better.

I'm puzzled by some of the gear ratios given here; you don't want to hit the limiter 5 seconds before a straight ends do you?

EDIT:

I'm no expert either, but having beaten the Gold times, here are some tips that might work for people.

It's important to realize most of the time is in how you drive the car, not how it's set up.

The only driver aid I recommend using is automatic shifting.

Set-up:

- Always run option tires; there's no tire degradation in Time Trial mode

- If the time is found in the corners: increase downforce (lower value), add negative camber to the front wheels (around -2.00)

- if the track has a long straight: decrease downforce (higher value)

- Gear Ratio: the default of 70% given in the guide isn't going to help you imho: always set up the gearing so that you hit the limiter on the longest straight just before you reach the braking zone; no wonder Monza is listed as being difficult!

- Lower the ride height as much as possible (30% for starters)

KERS, DRS and wheelspin:

- Accelerate gradually out of (slow) corners if you're losing traction

- KERS and DRS are best used when the car is straightened, to avoid loss of traction

- KERS is most effective in 2nd and 3rd gears; the longer the stretch to the next corner, the more time you'll gain

- DRS is best used from 2nd gear onward

- Until you're familiar with the game, only use KERS and DRS on the longer straights

Edited by fadingtrails
tips

• 2 years later...