What is the status of the FEAR 2 servers?

I just checked and it appears the Leaderboards are still up. I'm not so sure about the servers, nobody is ever on anyway so it's difficult to tell if they're still active. What I can say for sure is that the servers were still up at June 1, 2014 (2 AM EST). I hope this is a good sign.

If the servers are down, are there other ways to get the Platinum? Is local play an option? Also, what petition websites do gamers go to normally to show their support for a game?

UPDATE: Servers are down. :( Where do we go for online petitions?

Edited by predxeno

Once the servers close (which they will) the (P) will be completely unobtainable as there's no way to login to the servers without GameSpy and you can't earn trophies in LAN mode. The Publishers and Developers abandoned this game many years ago and the servers are virtually dead, it also didn't sell very well so petitioning to keep the servers open is pointless.

Edited by Terminator
Added extra info.

Is there any way to bring back the servers? I don't suppose fan-hosted servers are a possibility?

Not possible.

A petition got Dark Souls onto PC. At least I think that was the reason.

This isn't Dark Souls. F.E.A.R. 2 was nowhere near as popular.

I'm thinking of starting a Kickstarter campaign to get the Fear 2 servers back online. If petitions won't do anything, then maybe a bigger demonstration is required.

Waste of time, as has been said. This game was not popular, end of story. The only people still playing were those VERY few trophy hunters who still wanted the online trophies.

This^

The server population for FEAR 2 died very quickly, the only people that used to still play up until this morning were trolls and boosters. The only reason Dark Souls made it to the PC is because the console versions have a seriously rabid fan base, FEAR 2 doesn't so no-one is going to waste time and money keeping it going.

I'm thinking of starting a Kickstarter campaign to get the Fear 2 servers back online. If petitions won't do anything, then maybe a bigger demonstration is required.

I think we should do a kickstarter project to form a server provider company and then acquire rights & online codes for all ps3 games that have servers been closed down by irresponsible companies.:whistle: and lastly migrating to our servers and switch the server on.

They don't want their ip anymore, then give it to us lol

Edited by ntahla

I hate those unachievable online trophies. :(

Sony/Editors should patch the game to get them out of the plat requirements, say as if it was a DLC, to be fair with those who actually unlocked them.

That will never happen, the best you could hope for is for the "Ranked" requirement to be removed so you could do them an Unranked or LAN match (though in this case even the Unranked servers are inaccessible).

• 3 weeks later...
I think we should do a kickstarter project to form a server provider company and then acquire rights & online codes for all ps3 games that have servers been closed down by irresponsible companies.:whistle: and lastly migrating to our servers and switch the server on.

They don't want their ip anymore, then give it to us lol

I like that idea.:think:

Kickstarter isn't going to get you anywhere

5+/- year old game with a .1% plat completion

This^

The only people that will pay to save the servers for this game are the hardest of hardcore players, who only make up a tiny number of the people that even bothered to (P) this. By the time I got the 100% for FEAR 2, the servers were deserted most of the time with only hardcore trophy boosters and trolls still playing. Yes you could still find the occasional legit player but they were as rare as Platinum dust.

Edited by Terminator
Fixed typo.

• 4 months later...

Just signed up to comment but...GOD DAMN!!! I've had FEAR 2 hidden away for years, but I did play the multiplayer when I first got it. Only just found out the servers to FEAR 2 were shut down earlier this year. I just completed the story a couple of hours ago and was going to go online...

What a kick in the balls! I was hoping to get platinum in it. I wished I'd carried on playing multiplayer all those years ago now. Now it feels like playing the story was a waste of time only to find this out...

I guess that's what you get for sticking a game away and not playing it for years. Oh well, will have to just try and forget about it...

• 1 month later...
This^

The only people that will pay to save the servers for this game are the hardest of hardcore players, who only make up a tiny number of the people that even bothered to (P) this. By the time I got the 100% for FEAR 2, the servers were deserted most of the time with only hardcore trophy boosters and trolls still playing. Yes you could still find the occasional legit player but they were as rare as Platinum dust.

I got my platinum +/- 5 years ago, and the servers were completely deserted *back then*. It was common to lose boosting partners during a session due to connectivity issues and have absolutely no fear of being interrupted by a random, and the booster virtually always had no problems re-connecting.

That was a damn near 200 hour grind, and I could probably count on one hand the number of legitimate players in total I saw during that time. Even in 2009/2010, keeping the server running was a waste of electricity. I'm actually surprised they kept it going as long as they did.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...