Zen Pinball Excalibur

MofoSLO

I presume you know how to start the tales?

The problem is I'm not sure which of the tales I chose, it consisted of shooting different ramps around the table (they were all lit). The menu screen had 3 doors displayed, shooting any ramp seemed to randomly open one of the three doors, If someone was behind the door, it would bring you up a floor. If I'm not mistaken I had to go as far as floor 7 or 8. Once I arrived, the trophy popped up and surprised me!

Unfortunately like I said I have really only played this table for about 30 minutes, If I find any more information will post it up!

Not to get off topic but any help on earth defence trophies would be amazing!

You can reply to my thread "Earth Defence Strategy" to stay on topic here.

Edited by Silencecm

i just figured out this table last night.

will post further...

EDIT:

Woot! i just got my last trophy for this table. the silver is joke compared to the others. even SF II. just spell tale, then hit left sink hole and finish the given tale/mission. i did the sir gerwin or whatever.

now...onto the 10 medals in earth defence. noW THAT is WAY harder to do...

Edited by lade73

The trophies are disappointing. I can't believe I'm complaining about easy trophies, but I enjoy a challenge. Also a challenging trophy usually helps rack up some points to make it onto the scoreboard (I.E. Telsa's best one minute scoreboard, find me on there!).

I don't know why, but it took me numerous attempts to complete the "Defender of Camelot" and "Fame is NOT Fleeting" trophies on this table. I kept screwing up the Robber Knights after about 9 or so correct hits and I'd generally hit the Mordred Ramp where the beast is about 3 times and then fail, until last night when I just kept attempting those challenges and nothing else.

I felt really stupid when I discovered that for the barking beast you could trap the ball on the left flipper after a successful shot at the beast. I thought for sure, the ball was rolling too fast to trap so I was attempting to make moving shots at the ramp instead of controlled shots from a trapped ball. So, hit the beast, trap, repeat. (I think 4 times?)

For Morgana's Hidden Path, the LEFT choice (saving the real damsel video mode) is quite easy, whereas I haven't yet beat the RIGHT choice where you need to outrun the dragon's breath of fire (only tried it once).

So, now all I need is to beat one of the knight's quests. I came pretty close with Lancelot's (floor 5 or 6 I think) and Sir Kay's doesn't seem too challenging now that I know you need to take the excalibur ramp in whichever direction the dot matrix displays he has gone. The first (and only) time I tried it I went to the Right twice up the excalibur ramp following his path without knowing what I was doing, then he went left and I hit the ramp to the right again failing the quest.

Are any of the other knight's quests easier than those? Percival's seems like a pain to me and I haven't even seen Gawain's. For Arthur you need to make Excalibur ramp combos to pull the sword from the stone, but I don't know whether the combo means hitting the excalibur ramp over and over in quick succession or hitting the ramp and then hitting the trapped ball to the side of the ramp... so I didn't get very far with that as I kept missing my shots at the trapped ball (which might not even be what I was supposed to be doing)

Edited by VMethos

Played a little Zen again last night and finished off the silver trophy. I think Lancelot's Tale seems to be the easiest to do.

Tale of Sir Lancelot - The dot matrix displays three locked cell doors. You need to open the door that is holding one of Gwinevere's Ladies in Waiting to advance up to the next floor. The three doors (left, center, and right) relate to the left orbits, excalibur ramp, and right orbit respectively. Shooting an orbit or ramp that doesn't hold the Lady in Waiting will gain you some points, but does not increase the time you have to complete the challenge. Each time you free a Lady in Waiting, you gain some additional time to complete the challenge and advance a floor. Here's the important tip that makes this one much easier: One of the three doors will have a Lock that is larger than the other two on the display. This is the door that is holding the damsel in distress that you need to save. Once you complete 7 floors, the Tale is completed.

I messed around with some of the others but was unable to complete any of them... here are some general descriptions of what is necessary to do for the other tales:

King Arthur - Make a certain number excalibur ramp combos to pull the sword from the stone. (not sure how many times you need to hit the excalibur ramp, or how much time between each shot is allowed)

Sir Kay - The dot matrix will tell you to follow the trail to the left or right. Make sure the Excalibur ramp will lead you in the correct direction, then shoot it up the ramp. Once you follow the trail successfully 3 times, the beast will appear. Shoot the ball into the beasts sink hole. Again you will need to follow the trail 3 times and then shoot the beast. I messed up on my 3rd sequence of following the trail, so I don't know how many times you need to do this and whether or not there is a different final task to complete the Tale.

Sir Gawain - You need to help Sir Gawain run a long distance by hitting the Orbits over and over. The dot matrix displays how many orbit shots remain to be completed as well as a timer. I think it was 15 orbit shots or so, but I didn't notice what the amount of time you start with was.

Sir Percival - (2 ball multiball) Shoot the ball with the glowing green trail up Morgana's secret path. (Only tried this Tale twice, and never succeeded in making it up the path more than twice)

I hope this info is of some use to someone. I definitely recommend the Tale of Sir Lancelot if you're still having trouble getting the silver trophy for this table, it seems to be the easiest of all the tales. If you make even just 2 good shots within the first bit of time, knowing which orbit or ramp to hit to go up for each floor should give you lots of extra time to make your shots if you don't pay attention to opening the other doors for points.

• 2 weeks later...

here are two more trophies that ive unlocked. first one, you need to shoot up the ramp in the center, until your at level 11 then shoot up the ramp once more and the wizard will stop the ball and reveal a snake like monster once you have him up shoot at several times (maybe about 7-10 times)..l once you have done that you get the trophy

next trophy is up where you have to defeat the kings knight.... im not sure how to generate this certain quest.... you need to do the quest in where you have to protect your castle from the invaders...once hit all the arrows that have been lighten under the knight ( i am sorry but i dont know how many times you do this) but once you protect the castle from the invaders you will then get a trophy.

i hope this helps, sorry for any mistakes but i am typing this on my ps3

• 2 weeks later...

Easy table this one. After half an hour of screwing around on it, i got all but the the "dog-one" in less than 20 minutes. And thanks to Philip here I now know what to do there too :)

For those needing help with what to do:

Fame is NOT fleeting

Hit the excaliber ramp (center) untill you reach lvl 11/12. After that keep tracking/trapping the beast by shooting the right ramp.

Defender of Camelot

Keep hitting the bumpers untill your castle gets besieged. Get to the miniplayfield using the right ramp and just keep on hitting the tragets.

(on a side note, ones you finish of the task, you can choose to kill of the leader like you would in a duel. This will net you an easy extra ball)

Visit to the Sorceress

You need to hit the left targets. The first hit causes 1 of the targets to move around. Hit it again when its moving to the right and it should stay there. Repeat for the second target and the secret passage should open. After shooting it, you are opted to choose 1 of 2 options. The left is an easy video-challenge, like the "penny under the cup"-game. The right is another ramp-orbit mission. Complete either one to finish the requirements for the trophy.

A Knight's Tale

To start a tale, spell TALE by hitting the 4 targets on the right. Afterwards you can change to whatever knight you want by spinning the round table. Hit the left hole and the tale should start.

A few posts back you'll find a list of tales. Complete one of your choice and the trophy is yours

Edited by steviej

Thanks for all the help with this table. Someone should turn this into an official trophy guide!

I agree with a previous poster about the "Defender of Camelot" trophy. I think I had to try like 30 times or more for this annoying one! Firstly, hitting the bumpers enough times is tricky, since they are well blocked on the table. While I can use the right flipper to quickly hit up on it, it is just a single hit. Similarly for the left flipper just when the ball is rolling off - it will mostly score a single hit on the bumper. I think after about 7 to 10 bumper hits, then the right ramp will light up and the accompanying "Repel the invaders...!" voice prompt.

Now the mini-playfield is another challenge. I tried to play a controlled game of trapping the ball and aiming for the lit arrows. But that often proved too slow especially when "swamped" happens (3 flashing arrows). So I tried spamming the flippers, but the ball would then usually miss the targets and go spinning around the mini-playfield.

The trick (for me) is to get the timing right when hitting the ball on the flippers, then you can continuously fire at the targets. I try to fire the ball when the ball is sort of in the center of either flipper, and then continually do this with each flipper without trapping the ball. I would only trap the ball when there is no swamp and I wanted to aim at a specific target, and then would go back to continually firing with the flippers.

Even with the above, my ball would so often drain down the center. :-( I think they made the mini-playfield sequence too long! Anyway, am glad that I got this annoying one out of the way. Agree on the fact that the silver on this table is easy. Ordinarily, it should be something like Complete all Four Tales. But I am not complaining. :-)

Now on to Earth Defense. From my initial attempts, this one seems nasty, esp collecting all 10 medals. Looking at the Earth Defense thread/trophy guide, this seems even harder than any of the previous tables. Damn the table developers - they should be shot! ;-)

Now on to Earth Defense. From my initial attempts, this one seems nasty, esp collecting all 10 medals. Looking at the Earth Defense thread/trophy guide, this seems even harder than any of the previous tables. Damn the table developers - they should be shot! ;-)

Tell me about it, Earth defense is driving me insane... But then again, so did all the other tables lol. If you happen to find a fairly good way of getting that rage combo medal, you'd tell me right? :whistle:

In retrospect i gotta agree with you on the fact that defender of camelot is probably the hardest of this table's trophies. But it still can't compare to what your up against next :p

Edited by steviej

• 3 years later...

The damn robber knights are driving me to drink. I beat them long ago on the original, but I'm afraid to look at my stats on ZP2 to see how many times I've failed.

That should be the silver, completing any of the Knights of the Round Table missions are easy by comparison.

• 2 months later...
The damn robber knights are driving me to drink. I beat them long ago on the original, but I'm afraid to look at my stats on ZP2 to see how many times I've failed.

That should be the silver, completing any of the Knights of the Round Table missions are easy by comparison.

On the vita version, that bronze trophy is very easy. but The ps3 version is much harder. i don't know how many times i attempted the trophy on ps3 version, but it was like 30, i got it on 5th attempt on vita version. if you have trouble hitting the bumpers you can easily hit them from the launcher and you can hit them from the right flipper.

• 3 weeks later...

I've come back to ZP2 to get some of the trophies... and Defender of Camelot is really pissing me off. After playing a lot of The Pinball Arcade and many real tables, I realize how poorly-designed some of the ZP2 tables are. Excalibur is by far one of the worst. The bumpers are a pain in the ass to hit from any caught position and don't even get me started on the mini-playfield. :mad:

I knew I wasn't alone. This should be the silver.

Agreed. I wouldn't mind so much if you could actually control the ball in the mini playfield, but I find it almost impossible to do so. It goes too fast. At this point I can only try it a few times before I move on to something else, it's too irritating.

I've come back to ZP2 to get some of the trophies... and Defender of Camelot is really pissing me off. After playing a lot of The Pinball Arcade and many real tables, I realize how poorly-designed some of the ZP2 tables are. Excalibur is by far one of the worst. The bumpers are a pain in the ass to hit from any caught position and don't even get me started on the mini-playfield. :mad:

Its possible to hit the bumpers from caught position with the right flipper easily you can hit the bumpers with a skill shot from launcher too

• 1 year later...

Any tips on hitting the lowest right TALE target on this table (E)? The only way I can get it is by shooting blindly at the trapped ball locations and hoping my ball bounces off into the target. I tried using the sinkhole on the left, and hitting the ball across the table with the upper left flipper, but it ends up going into the cauldron ramp every single time.

EDIT:

Never mind, just got the trophy. Still don't have a consistent method, but what worked was hitting the ball with the right flipper as it was rolling down the inlane, so it would bounce off the captive ball and into the targets, sometimes it would hit two. Still a shitty design (unless I'm missing something), especially since the targets reset once you drain. Ended up getting the trophy on the mission where you have to complete 15 orbits. The guide says it's the hardest one, but that's not true. The nice thing about it is that you can just focus on the shots, and don't have to screw around catching the ball and looking at the LED display like in most other challenges.

Edited by Eternal21

Any tips on hitting the lowest right TALE target on this table (E)? The only way I can get it is by shooting blindly at the trapped ball locations and hoping my ball bounces off into the target. I tried using the sinkhole on the left, and hitting the ball across the table with the upper left flipper, but it ends up going into the cauldron ramp every single time.

EDIT:

Never mind, just got the trophy. Still don't have a consistent method, but what worked was hitting the ball with the right flipper as it was rolling down the inlane, so it would bounce off the captive ball and into the targets, sometimes it would hit two. Still a shitty design (unless I'm missing something), especially since the targets reset once you drain. Ended up getting the trophy on the mission where you have to complete 15 orbits. The guide says it's the hardest one, but that's not true. The nice thing about it is that you can just focus on the shots, and don't have to screw around catching the ball and looking at the LED display like in most other challenges.

Congratulations! Now get ready to pull out your hair trying to defeat those robber knights...

Congratulations! Now get ready to pull out your hair trying to defeat those robber knights...

Yeah, I'm doing the trophies in rarity order (easiest to hardest), so that one is still a dozen trophies away. But the few times I attempted it while going for the TALES trophy already convinced me it's going to be a complete pain in the ass.

Just to make sure I've got the rules right. I'm supposed to hit flashing targets, but only if the big knight is not behind them?

Tips would be welcome, if you have any.