Anyone who was getting the X1...

Psikorps

Is anyone else who was getting one, not getting it anymore?

I'm getting the PS4 day one, that was set in stone.

Originally I was going to pass on the X1 after the E3 debacle, between the always on, the online check-in's, forced Kinect and so on, it was a easy pass, making it the first major console release I would not have bought in a long long time.

But then MS backtracked on their outrageous policies and changed things to better suit the consumer, only because of serious consumer backlash, not because Microsoft was "in touch with the consumer", but nevertheless it brought the X1 back on my radar.

So I pre-ordered one, along with Dead Rising 3.

But after everything coming to light, mainly the 720p issue now, I have decided to pass completely on the X1, my pre-order was canceled this morning.

What really bothers me, is that none of this 720p BS was brought to the consumers attention by Microsoft, it all had to come from other sources.

The consumers did not get a message like...

"We're sorry ok, the Xbox One is powerful unit, but not powerful enough to run a game like Call of Duty at 60fps, unless the developers toned down the graphics to 720p native, then upscale them to the 1080p, like it should be running in the first place, again, we're sorry, but our console is still worth $100 more than the competitions console, really."

But nothing of the likes ever came from Microsoft.

In this day and age, its going to be 2014 soon, the console that Microsoft is touting as the future of gaming, and it's going to be around for the better part of a decade, that cant even go toe to toe with it's competition yet its still more expensive...

If that's the future Microsoft has planned for its gamers, well, I want no part of that.

It also really worried me, it got me thinking, what other bullshit does MS have waiting for the consumer that we would only find out after purchasing the console?

So rather than sink $500 into such a unknown, I have decided to drop them.

Microsoft has lost touch not only with the consumer base, but reality as well.

And personally, I cant justify giving them half a grand of my money only to potentially be stabbed in the back by them after they got it.

Sorry Microsoft, not this time.

I can see why you'd drop them. The way that Microsoft showcases the new Xbox is very confusing. One minute they talk about one feature and then the other, they say something that contradicts their first statement. With the PS4, and a lot of people on this site can agree, you know what you're going to get on launch day and within the launch window of games.

why on earth would you expect microsoft to come out on its own and say "oh hey, the ps4 will runs certain games at a higher res" they wait for the rumors to hit and then PR spin them.

Perhaps in a effort to save what little respect they had left with some people.

Their not speaking out cost them this consumer, and I'm certain I'm not the only one that viewed this as the last straw.

I would have still considered buying a X1 if Microsoft at the very least considered being honest with its consumer base from the start.

As for PR spin, they have nothing to spin, its 720p with upscale to 1080p on more than just CoD because it lacks the power to run it al 60fps otherwise.

They might try and say something like it saves on processing power to run more applications in the background or whatever, nothing will change the facts.

Which bring me back to my main worry...

It also really worried me, it got me thinking, what other bullshit does MS have waiting for the consumer that we would only find out after purchasing the console?

I'd like to own both consoles eventually but it's too much money and it's overkill to buy both at release. Not to mention my various concerns with the Xbox One which I'm not going to get into again here. Bottom line for me is I need to see that console in the wild for atleast six months before I would consider buying one. Not to mention that if anyone is going to do a price cut and offer different bundles first it's going to be Microsoft. My girlfriend actually offered to buy me one for Christmas last night and I told her not to. That's how unconvinced I am of the Xbox One.

This is were you draw the line?

Personally I lost all faith in the console at the reveal. Treating every costomer like a thief is not good business practive. And I was even more repulsed when they announced that the XB1 had 81 features hidden behind a paywall. Some of which like Skype and Youtube are free on just about every other device. Without XBOX gold you have an Xbrick.

Why didn't MS reveal at E3 that the DRM was gone? Instead they didn't even mention it, but dangled their shiny 3rd party exclusives in our faces hoping we would forget how shitty the console needed to play them was.

The way I see it, they took out the DRM and shit, but there's nothing saying they won't try to slip it back in.

Be very easy to patch back in after say, 2 years when it has a decent install base. Then a lot of people would be stuck with it (not everyone can afford 2 systems). Selling it would be useless if they reinstated all that crap too.

Be very easy to patch back in after say, 2 years when it has a decent install base. Then a lot of people would be stuck with it (not everyone can afford 2 systems). Selling it would be useless if they reinstated all that crap too.

How would selling it be worthless? It's still the same piece of hardware. The changes wouldn't necessarily devalue it.

I'm getting a PS4 day one, but I will eventually get the Xbox One once there's a price drop. There are a few games exclusive to the Xbox One that I'd like to play, but it's not worth it to spend $500 on a console that I will probably end up playing 10 games max on this whole generation. I'll probably buy the Xbox One if it ever drops to $350 or cheaper.

I'm getting a PS4 day one, but I will eventually get the Xbox One once there's a price drop. There are a few games exclusive to the Xbox One that I'd like to play, but it's not worth it to spend $500 on a console that I will probably end up playing 10 games max on this whole generation. I'll probably buy the Xbox One if it ever drops to $350 or cheaper.

The thing is, you don't just pay $500 and it's over. Having two systems which both require subsciption fees is something most people can't afford.

IF only the PS4 and XBOX One were just the $900

Edited by simonp92

The console division is too expensive for Microsoft, so they deliberately made the XBox One fail. Just look at all the rookie mistakes they made in 2012/2013.

This doesn't look like a world leading company unleashing the only contender to a console market. It looks like a division wanting to commit suicide.

In the end it'll hurt us all. Without MS fighting against Sony, Sony don't have to care about competition and can start acting like Google. Forcing this and that upon their customers, with non-existing competition.

The console division is too expensive for Microsoft, so they deliberately made the XBox One fail. Just look at all the rookie mistakes they made in 2012/2013.

This doesn't look like a world leading company unleashing the only contender to a console market. It looks like a division wanting to commit suicide.

In the end it'll hurt us all. Without MS fighting against Sony, Sony don't have to care about competition and can start acting like Google. Forcing this and that upon their customers, with non-existing competition.

Interesting theory. Let's hope it's false.

Personally I lost all faith in the console at the reveal. Treating every costomer like a thief is not good business practive. And I was even more repulsed when they announced that the XB1 had 81 features hidden behind a paywall. Some of which like Skype and Youtube are free on just about every other device. Without XBOX gold you have an Xbrick.

Why didn't MS reveal at E3 that the DRM was gone? Instead they didn't even mention it, but dangled their shiny 3rd party exclusives in our faces hoping we would forget how shitty the console needed to play them was.

My sentiments exactly my friend. The reveal is what woke me up to the fact that MS's focus isn't on games but with their partnerships with Speilberg, NFL and cable companies. Personally I found the reveal insulting because It was directed towards the corporate fat cats at MS.. not for us.

Once I heard of the DRM restrictions that sealed the deal for me and made me question just who the hell I've been supporting for the past 8 years? I was especially personally offended that they wanted to denounce MY OWNERSHIP of disk based games as well! After all, I own nearly every console platform to date since the Atari 2600 with a collections of games and I enjoy being able to play old games without having to worry about title updates and digital content working after the 360 live servers get shut down. Can you blame me? :mad:

Edited by Delow317

My sentiments exactly my friend. The reveal is what woke me up to the fact that MS's focus isn't on games but with their partnerships with Speilberg, NFL and cable companies. Personally I found the reveal insulting because It was directed towards the corporate fat cats at MS.. not for us.

Once I heard of the DRM restrictions that sealed the deal for me and made me question just who the hell I've been supporting for the past 8 years? I was especially personally offended that they wanted to denounce MY OWNERSHIP of disk based games as well! After all, I own nearly every console platform to date since the Atari 2600 with a collections of games and I enjoy being able to play old games without having to worry about title updates and digital content working after the 360 live servers get shut down. Can you blame me? :mad:

People are so gullible. All MS had to do was promise a headset in the box and one free game in Europe and everyone forgot their previous blunders from one week to another.

I personally care little about resolution or FPS or whatever seems to be the newest shit flung at the XB1, I do however care if I'm being treated like a consumer and not a thief.

People are so gullible. All MS had to do was promise a headset in the box and one free game in Europe and everyone forgot their previous blunders from one week to another.

I personally care little about resolution or FPS or whatever seems to be the newest shit flung at the XB1, I do however care if I'm being treated like a consumer and not a thief.

Exactly, and the point is that people are this gullible, especially the ones that don't see the 180's as actually making MS look weak themselves with their flip-flopping. For many of my old Xbox Live buddies, they just overlook the seriousness of what they tried to do (change the game industry into something like Steam yet worse) in favor of the exclusives, dedicated servers and the fact that everyone can benefit from gold on the same console now. Not enough reasons for me though..

In the end the way I see it is that the X1 wasn't even designed for us, it was designed for MS themselves and designed to milk every penny out of us through Xbox live and many other associated fees that will be tacked on later. Personally I think the DRM will return along with another $10 price hike bringing the price of XBL Gold to $70 bucks in the U.S.

Thank god for us though.. we are not so gullible!:cool:

Edited by Delow317

I was already planning on getting a PS4 before the XB1 reveal and have always preferred PS consoles, but I would have said its likely that I'd get M$ new console within a few years, most likely after a price drop, but boy did they screw up..

This is how I felt after the reveal. M$ have lost me for a long time. I have no trust in them at all. They tried to screw over consumers as much as they possibly could and weren't going to get away with it. I am pretty sure their 180 had nothing to do with what consumers wanted and everything to do with $$$. Afterall, the original XB1 was their vision of the future. :facepalm:

The way I see it, they took out the DRM and shit, but there's nothing saying they won't try to slip it back in.

Exactly. Apparently, before they did this, it wasn't going to be easy to take out DRM and always online updates .. but they will with a patch! There is no reason to believe there won't be patches in the future that'll start to open these doors again. It comes down to trust for me. Trust in spending my hard earned cash. I have none of that in M$.

Edited by AstroFlibble

• 2 months later...

I don't have a XB1 yet, they're still too expensive. I'll probably wait until the eventual price drop to $300 New, and hopefully they'll also have at least 50+ games that I'd want to play, that I couldn't already get on an Xbox 360.

(I plan on getting a Xbox 360 this Christmas, 3DS for Christmas 2015, PSVita for Christmas 2016, PS4 for Christmas 2017, and finally a XB1 for Christmas 2018)