XboxAchievements Got a news tip? tips@ps3t.org
Username
Password

Go Back   PlaystationTrophies.org > General Discussion > Entertainment & Media Board

Old 08-13-2010, 07:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Awards Showcase Maximum Clubs Top 5   1,000 Posts   Bronze Submission
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Default Remakes that are better than the original

Doesn't happen very often but sometimes it does.

This doesn't apply just to films, it goes for music or even a TV series as well.

Example:

Johnny Cash's "Hurt". The original NIN version was great but Cash's take on the song, especially when heard when you watch the music video, makes it a masterpiece. Toss in Trent Reznor saying the song belongs to Cash to put the icing on the cake.

And remember, this isn't just for people to list GOOD remakes. It for when the remake outshines and is better than the original.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Many many many occasions when the opposite is true. I'd say 80% of the time remakes are pointless. For example, the legendary Under The Bridge by Red Hot Chili Peppers being remade by All Saints. That example alone should shoot what you said down.
Burnout Paradise (Not DLC) LittleBIGPlanet

LOVING THE LBP2 BETA
BARNZ_999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Maximum Clubs Director

Awards Showcase Maximum Clubs Top 5   Community Gaming Event Gold   THL Season 5 - Cross-site Competition Champions   2,500 Posts   THL Season 4 - Big Ol' Pile of Platinums   Bronzer Than Nothing   PS3T's 5th Birthday Game Night Series   Staff - Clubs Director   I Beat the Staff Too!!!!   THL Season 1 - Close But No Cigar   Helping Hand   Call of Duty 4 Birthday
Total Awards: 12 (more» ...)

My favourites:

I can't really think of any TV or films that were better than the originals though

SylarTheNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Awards Showcase THL Season 4 - Big Ol' Pile of Platinums   2,500 Posts   Bronze Road Map Submitter   Bronze Trophy Guide Submitter   Community Gaming Event Bronze   I Beat the Staff!!!!
Total Awards: 6 (more» ...)

The Krazies, and Karate Kid.
For The Krazies, the original was a scary as hell! But Karate Kid, well, the new one is just awesome!
Scrubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

For films I would have to say John Carpenter's "The Thing" and David Cronenberg's "The Fly" both those films are fantastic horrors, thrillers, character drama's and both have really amazing monster effects.

Platinum's: |Call of Duty:World at War|Resident Evil 5|Burnout Paradise|inFamous|Terminator Salvation|Fallout 3|Call of Jaurez:Bound in Blood|God of War I|God of War II|Dante's Inferno|Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 2|Heavy Rain|God of War III|Uncharted 2:Among Thieves|Assassins Creed II|
fablednemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Awards Showcase Community Gaming Event Bronze   2,500 Posts   Bronze Trophy Guide Submitter

yeah karate kid was nice

Every film I ever watched:
http://letterboxd.com/dda1996a/
Credit goes to blackfalc0n for this awesome signature!
dda1996a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

I like the new Bad Company by Five Finger Death Punch more than the original. Same goes for Shinedown's Simple Man.
Kruzad3r6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:33 AM   #8 (permalink)

Awards Showcase Bronzer Than Nothing   1,000 Posts   Community Gaming Event Bronze

Hmm, I'm gonna say I enjoyed Inglorious Basterds more than the original, Hulk with Ed Norton more than that Ang Lee crap, Karate Kid was pretty good too. Ultimate remake- Ocean's Eleven. The original cast weren't actors (they were the rat pack though, so that gets them some points), but the remake was awesome.

A_Fairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:59 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Awards Showcase Maximum Clubs Top 5   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)

For songs I have to go with Any Way You Want It by Rise Against over the original version. The Journey version is good but I like the faster pace of RA's version a lot more. Also Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah is an amazing song.

For films, I can only recall The Fly and The Thing.
MikeKeese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 04:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKeese View Post
For songs I have to go with Any Way You Want It by Rise Against over the original version. The Journey version is good but I like the faster pace of RA's version a lot more. Also Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah is an amazing song.

For films, I can only recall The Fly and The Thing.
I agree with the Hallelujah as I find Leonard Cohen voice a little too deep for the song, also I can't take his version seriously after how badly misplaced it was in the Watchmen film :s

Platinum's: |Call of Duty:World at War|Resident Evil 5|Burnout Paradise|inFamous|Terminator Salvation|Fallout 3|Call of Jaurez:Bound in Blood|God of War I|God of War II|Dante's Inferno|Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 2|Heavy Rain|God of War III|Uncharted 2:Among Thieves|Assassins Creed II|
fablednemesis is offline   Reply With Quote