Netflix or Amazon Prime Instant Video?

I just want to know all yous thoughts about this as I am quite stuck for choice.

I currently have Netflix but got a trial for Prime yesterday, it has a lot of stuff not on Netflix that I want to watch.. But I'm not sure if I should cancel Netflix and get Prime..

I live in UK by the way, so most of the good shit is on the US version of Netflix.

Don't want to keep changing my DNS all the time either.

Just asking for opinions & is anyone on Amazon Prime? Free next day delivery is making me think about this even further.. Just seems like I would get more out of it than Netflix?

I know this is what trials are for etc.. but I really cannot decide myself. I want to know about how Amazon deal with things, how often they get new content in etc..

I have been an Amazon Prime Instant (formerly Lovefilm Instant) subscriber for a number of years, and with the subscription I was previously on with Lovefilm, I get unlimited discs (1 at a time) and access to Amazon Prime Instant for £7.99 per month.

I have tried Netflix, and apart from the odd exclusive, I felt there was little difference between the two services and their respective libraries. The fact that I can rent a newly available films/TV programmes for £2 extra is what swings it in Amazon's favour for me personally.

From a streaming perspective, I believe it comes down to which exclusive programmes you prefer, if any. As for the delivery part of the service, the value of that is dependent on how often you order from Amazon :think:

Edited by Byrney

I've got both at the moment. Tend to find that Netflix has better content for streaming, although Amazon does get the odd exclusive that's worth watching. Amazon is definitely worthwhile for the disc based service though, good turnaround times for rentals, and I've never had any issues with new movies being available, seem to have a decent level of stock :)

I was with Lovefilm for a long time but when they stopped doing games I switched to Netflix, Mainly because it was cheaper. They offered a very similar service, You might find something on one you really want to say but not the other and vice versa.

I'm still with Netflix.

I'd have to say amazon instant video, you can actually notice when they add or remove stuff. And you can buy movies and tv shows to add to your collection so not only do you have what's available for free with prime, you also have your purchased/rented tv shows and movies in your queue. which means you can watch new releases for a few dollars which netflix can't offer. And most of the stuff netflix has, amazon prime has it. Netflix still has most of the same stuff from a few years back when I cancelled. And amazon prime subscription you pay for a whole year instead of monthly like netflix. And paying for that yearly subscription is actually cheaper than netflix and you get so many extras such as 2 day shipping and kindle library and such. More for your money.

• 1 month later...
I'm gonna ask a really stupid question here but what exactly is netflix? I guess it popped up while I was living in Japan and I never really figured out what it was :/ Do you pay a monthly subscription for unlimited movie or tv series rentals?

Netflix has a limited and selected category of both TV shows and Movies. There is also a Kid version of Netflix which contains Cartoon shows.

For the TV shows they have listed, they usually contain all the available seasons episodes as long as they were released on Bluray. If a season is not out on bluray yet, it'll take a few months before they'll appear on Netflix.

The streaming service is 7.99 a month and the content updates monthly.

The movies are okay but it'll never have nearly 100% a decent movie all the time. For example, most of the horror movies listed on Netflix are all low budget films. With the exception of a rare few that I cannot name off the top of my head.

Edited by Blaze Naruto Shippuden

I'm gonna ask a really stupid question here but what exactly is netflix? I guess it popped up while I was living in Japan and I never really figured out what it was :/ Do you pay a monthly subscription for unlimited movie or tv series rentals?

Yeah, it's a service that lets you stream movies and TV shows on the app itself. You can even stream it on your console.

On the subject though, I've really been liking Amazon Instant Video as of late. Only issue is that you have to purchase everything but they release new content on time. I never have any buffering issues neither for that matter.

Edited by Warbear

Netflix has a limited and selected category of both TV shows and Movies. There is also a Kid version of Netflix which contains Cartoon shows.

For the TV shows they have listed, they usually contain all the available seasons episodes as long as they were released on Bluray. If a season is not out on bluray yet, it'll take a few months before they'll appear on Netflix.

The movies are okay but it'll never have nearly 100% a decent movie all the time. For example, most of the horror movies listed on Netflix are all low budget films. With the exception of a rare few that I cannot name off the top of my head.

Yeah, it's a service that lets you stream movies and TV show's on the app itself. You can even stream it on your console.

On the subject though, I've really been liking Amazon Instant Video as of late. Only issue is that you have to purchase everything but they release new content on time. I never have any buffering issues neither for that matter.

Thank you both :)

So for netflix and Amazon for a limited free you get unlimited streaming? How are the 2 in terms of movie selection?

Thank you both :)

So for netflix and Amazon for a limited free you get unlimited streaming? How are the 2 in terms of movie selection?

Amazon Prime has movies that aren't on Netflix. Amazon wins the movie category but I pick Netflix for TV shows.

Now Amazon Prime does offer some TV shows that Netflix don't own the rights too. Like Under The Dome which is free with Amazon Prime.

Netflix has TV shows like

The Walking Dead

Breaking Bad

King of the Hill

Prison Break

Sons of Anchory

Dexter

Supernatural

and much much more

Edited by Blaze Naruto Shippuden

Amazon Prime has movies that aren't on Netflix. Amazon wins the movie category but I pick Netflix for TV shows.

Now Amazon Prime does offer some TV shows that Netflix don't own the rights too. Like Under The Dome which is free with Amazon Prime.

Netflix has TV shows like

The Walking Dead

Breaking Bad

King of the Hill

Prison Break

Sons of Anchory

Dexter

Supernatural

and much much more

Thanks a bunch! I appreciate the detailed reply :)

Well explained. We pay extra to get newer releases on disc. They have to wait 90 days to get them on discs so the DVDs have a chance to sell in the store.

We've been members since the company first started. Ppl said they would never make it. Ask Blockbuster about that.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Neither, Now TV is better, more streamlined and has better movies though I think it's exclusive to UK customers like my self, might work for other countries if you try it.

This, followed by Amazon then Netflix

I was a netflix member a couple years back and started a new trial this month. I think I've found only a couple of films I hadn't seen previously. Terrible for movies tbh though not bad if you love American TV shows I guess. I have heard it's got a much larger selection in the US though.

Amazon is ok only have it because I'm a prime member anyway, I like the fact you can rent but again the selection of free streaming is really limited. But they do seem to actually add new titles

Can someone explain to me how Amazon Prime Instant Video works?

I currently have a Prime membership, but I never used the Instant Video. I decided to try it out the other day on my Smart TV because I heard they had Sons of Anarchy season 7 on there. They do, but each episode costs $1.99... I thought this shit was free for Prime members (which I am), or is it just something with SoA?

Edit: Upon actually doing some research myself, I've come to the conclusion that not everything is "Prime Eligible". All the other seasons of SoA are free. I'm guessing S7 is still too new to warrant being free.

Edited by solstice

Can someone explain to me how Amazon Prime Instant Video works?

I currently have a Prime membership, but I never used the Instant Video. I decided to try it out the other day on my Smart TV because I heard they had Sons of Anarchy season 7 on there. They do, but each episode costs $1.99... I thought this shit was free for Prime members (which I am), or is it just something with SoA?

Edit: Upon actually doing some research myself, I've come to the conclusion that not everything is "Prime Eligible". All the other seasons of SoA are free. I'm guessing S7 is still too new to warrant being free.

Yeah the only free shows are the ones that say "Prime" in the top left corner.