Story Discussion Thread *MASSIVE SPOILERS INSIDE*

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/members/fiftyquid-albums-image-storage-picture12706-attention-sign-orig.png WARNING! http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/members/fiftyquid-albums-image-storage-picture12706-attention-sign-orig.png

SPOILER TAGS ARE NOT USED IN THIS THREAD!

You have entered a spoiler tag free zone about the game Enslaved: Odyssey to the West. This thread has been created to discuss anything Enslaved related. You are permitted to discuss key plot points, boss battles and any part of the story openly without the use of SPOILER TAGS. Please note, this is not a "How do I..." thread. Any posts like this will be deleted.

In summary, this is a SPOILER TAG free zone. You do not have to use SPOILER TAGS within this thread.

This thread is immune.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really surprised no one has posted in here yet. How many of us have beaten the storyline? I'm dying to talk about the ending, and how I wish we got more resolution out of it. Hopefully the DLC will give us the answers we seek.

I Read somewhere that the first DLC Is supposed to be about Pigsy, so unless they're pulling a resurrection, I highly doubt we'll learn more about the ending.

The epilogue was boring and bull, it raised more questions than it answered about the overall plot of the game. Why were slaves working on the ship transporting slaves if they're supposed to be living in a virtual paradise? Why is the mech-building corporation building mechs to "Save" people from mechs, instead of mechs that'll take out other mechs? It didn't make sense, and it kinda felt like they decided "This is where we'll end the game, fix it in post."

good point bread although to be fair their backstories seemed pretty bland. monkeys been living in the wild all his life and trips lead a similar life in the colony =/ although monkey mentioned something about trading posts and getting by, it would be neat to see those kinds of interactions or perhaps how they were both captured.

i thought the ending was great maldron! it was very open ended and symbolic of our times, although the masses may not have made the choice at first they're definately enjoying their virtual lives over the decaying world overrun with mechs. reminded me of the matrix in a way.

im not sure if they were undecided with the ending but things kind of fell in to place for me. it seems like your typical war scenario: kill the enemy and enslave who you can. i mean, who would voluntarily want to become a slave? im sure in compliance was met with death. as for the slaves on the ship im sure they couldn't count on mechs for everything, dealing with the slaves would sometimes require human intelect im sure.

maybe im just making excuses for ninja theory haha but thats my story and im stickin to it

I really liked the ending, it was completely unexpected and unique, I hope they make an Enslaved 2, and then we might get to see Monkey interacting with various trading posts and stuff and maybe see other villages with people in them now that everyone is free. What I don't get is why Monkey told trip to keep the headband on after she deactivated it? Was he doing it to say "I won't leave you" or something?

My take on that was that he didn't want to lose access to the visions the headband was giving him.

ah, it could also be that I guess.

I am definetly going to be buying all the DLC for this game, not just because it's an awesome game but because I hope people buying it will convince them to make a sequal, it really deserves one, it could become a great new IP for them.

I wouldn't mind if pigsy made a comeback, when I first saw his character design in screenshots I thought I would hate him, but he is actually pretty funny and an interesting character, I wouldn't be suprised if he managed to survive somehow (hey maybe the Leviathan had escape pods)

What I don't get is why Monkey told trip to keep the headband on after she deactivated it? Was he doing it to say "I won't leave you" or something?

i think thats essentially what monkeys gesture meant, kind of a 'i won't let you get hurt' noble knight mentality. that scene actually gave me chills it was so well delivered :s

Fantastic game, but the ending was very lacking, not to mention abrupt.

I was hoping for more, but then Trish abruptly pulled the plug on Pyramid, and after all the headbands go out, it immediately switches over to the credits.

But I do look forward to the potential answers the DLC could provide.

I also wouldn't mind trying out those pre-order bonus skins, should they ever make their way to the Psn.

Ninja Monkey gets unlimited staff ammo, which would've really come in handy xD

Fantastic game, but the ending was very lacking, not to mention abrupt.

I was hoping for more, but then Trish abruptly pulled the plug on Pyramid, and after all the headbands go out, it immediately switches over to the credits.

But I do look forward to the potential answers the DLC could provide.

I also wouldn't mind trying out those pre-order bonus skins, should they ever make their way to the Psn.

Ninja Monkey gets unlimited staff ammo, which would've really come in handy xD

shame there isn't a "very hard" mode, hard was not that hard aside from a few fights and before I learnt what focused strike was and bought it, would like to play through it again on a harder setting.

That's how they make their money. They make you buy the information you want most. I heard about the DLC about Pigsy as well. I was thinking they would just make a second game but if they work it right, maybe they'll give us some DLC with their personal stories and then some.

Yea, a few of you are right, its another case of "a matrix" type ending with the case of choice, or lack there of.

The best ending ive seen this gen is by far AC2 but this ending was also unexpected too.

My only gripe was they seemed to squeeze Andy Serkis's contract dry, not only making him lead but also his face popping up all over my game... bloody hell... leave it out m8!

Lol

Never the less great game. Im about to finish up on the trophies now!

Why were slaves working on the ship transporting slaves if they're supposed to be living in a virtual paradise?

Obviously not all the slaves get to live in paradise. If you remember the guy on the ship said at the beginning that they would kill him. My guess is that they have different masks and headbands as when Monkey put the mask on he couldnt hear Trip, however the guy on the ship at the beginning was able to see and speak to Monkey.

I think the reason the ending was lacky a bit was down to the "movie" type writing. How many films has we all watched were we've had endings like this? I know I'v seen a few. Overall though the writing and acting was ace, the story as a whole was very good and at one point I thought Pigsy was guna turn on Trip and Monkey, which is something you dont often get fooled about. You either think itl happen and it does, or you dont think about it and it doesnt. Well done game IMO.

Did anyone feel that the first half of the game (approximately) was much stronger than the second? I'm talking about the New York stuff...

The early chapters were so physically beautiful and narratively tight; in the cinematic at the end of the first level, when the slave ship crashes, you can actually see almost every location that you will be traversing during the first several levels; the progression from area to area felt very organic and controlled...

After you leave the city, though, the transition from area to area becomes more clumsy and unsatisfying - there's just a cut-scene that tells you you've gone from here to there: you're at Trip's home, you're at the mech factory, you're flying, you're underground, you're on a sub, you're in a giant mech, etc. This irritated me because I wanted to feel the move from city to country in a more concentrated way; in other words I wanted to actually experience the transition from the somewhat claustrophobic urban areas to the more open areas outside the city, kind of the way Bionic Commando fluidly transitioned you between different spaces and environments. Not a big deal, but I was hoping for more of a sense of 'odyssey' than the game actually gave me.

One other thing that left me pretty unsatisfied was Pigsy's death. I mean, obviously he was going to sacrifice himself (who didn't see that coming?), but it bugged me that the coarseness and vulgarity of the character wasn't maintained until the end. I think the developers missed an opportunity to do something better with this scene than the usual noble self-sacrifice; where, previously, was Pigsy a noble character? He was vulgar and crude and should have died with that same attitude - even just something as simple as having him say that, since he can't get the girl, and seeing as how certain death is imminent, he might as well be the one to bite it. I don't think story-tellers put enough faith in the comic and vulgar to be moving and emotionally satisfying, and I think Pigsy actually deserved a better (ie., less pompous) death than he received.

Did anyone feel that the first half of the game (approximately) was much stronger than the second? I'm talking about the New York stuff...

The early chapters were so physically beautiful and narratively tight; in the cinematic at the end of the first level, when the slave ship crashes, you can actually see almost every location that you will be traversing during the first several levels; the progression from area to area felt very organic and controlled...

After you leave the city, though, the transition from area to area becomes more clumsy and unsatisfying - there's just a cut-scene that tells you you've gone from here to there: you're at Trip's home, you're at the mech factory, you're flying, you're underground, you're on a sub, you're in a giant mech, etc. This irritated me because I wanted to feel the move from city to country in a more concentrated way; in other words I wanted to actually experience the transition from the somewhat claustrophobic urban areas to the more open areas outside the city, kind of the way Bionic Commando fluidly transitioned you between different spaces and environments. Not a big deal, but I was hoping for more of a sense of 'odyssey' than the game actually gave me.

One other thing that left me pretty unsatisfied was Pigsy's death. I mean, obviously he was going to sacrifice himself (who didn't see that coming?), but it bugged me that the coarseness and vulgarity of the character wasn't maintained until the end. I think the developers missed an opportunity to do something better with this scene than the usual noble self-sacrifice; where, previously, was Pigsy a noble character? He was vulgar and crude and should have died with that same attitude - even just something as simple as having him say that, since he can't get the girl, and seeing as how certain death is imminent, he might as well be the one to bite it. I don't think story-tellers put enough faith in the comic and vulgar to be moving and emotionally satisfying, and I think Pigsy actually deserved a better (ie., less pompous) death than he received.

I was actually expecting the entire game being going from the crash site back to Trips home, but as soon as you got the bike it was a short cutscene and then you're there! 300 miles in 2 minutes!

I liked how the unfinished Titan in the mech factory was a Monkey :)

Just because pigsy was vulgar and such I don't see why he couldn't have had a noble death, he was a good guy after all, although at times I felt he might have betrayed them, but that's just good writing, I saw nothing wrong with his death, but it'd be nice if he didn't die cause he really grew on me.

Just because pigsy was vulgar and such I don't see why he couldn't have had a noble death, he was a good guy after all

This was actually my point.

The tone of is death-scene is what I have a problem with - they should have allowed him to die with the same humour and vulgar attitude he had all through the game. Self-sacrifice is, in general, a noble thing; vulgar characters/people are, of course, capable of committing noble gestures; but that doesn't mean that the music should swell on the soundtrack and everything should become tritely maudlin. To me, having him die in such a pompous way was a betrayal of his character - he should have been grunting derisive pig-noises at the enemy right up until the end.

This was actually my point.

The tone of is death-scene is what I have a problem with - they should have allowed him to die with the same humour and vulgar attitude he had all through the game. Self-sacrifice is, in general, a noble thing; vulgar characters/people are, of course, capable of committing noble gestures; but that doesn't mean that the music should swell on the soundtrack and everything should become tritely maudlin. To me, having him die in such a pompous way was a betrayal of his character - he should have been grunting derisive pig-noises at the enemy right up until the end.

maybe he wasn't like that because he had a way to escape and just wanted Trip to think he was sacrificing himself, and then he makes his comeback in the DLC and is all like "so did you cry when you thought I died to save you?" or something like that. I dunno. ohwell.

there are a lot of silly inconsistencies with the game that all happen in the first chapter.

It's been mentioned that the ship was flying from East to West- and when it crashed Trip had to travel West some more- so there is no real understanding of where or why that ship was going the way it was.

The other problem is that if Pyramid is supposed to be such a great thing- why are the ships called "Prisoner Ships"? The human guards could have easily explained the situation to Trip and Monkey as well, but it really doesn't even make sense why the are there. Everything else is robots-- are you trying to tell me that they couldn't have made a few dozen more robots to manage the ships so that those guys could be all matrix'ed up too?

The ship is flying to the west. The desitination is the pyramid and it ships the new slaves "pyramid" saved from the wasteland.

Since odyssey to the west is a Chinese tale. I say both Monkey and Trip are Chinese and the ship set off from Asia. That explains why the ship is traveling west.

Edited by YokA_sun

Ok so Pyramid created the mechs and is gathering "slaves" right? But he said he was saving people? How by killing most people with mechs and putting the others to work with headbands is he saving people?

This game left to many plot holes. The pacing was off too as most people have said. Overall the story was good just like Heavenly Sword. Hopefully if the make a sequel the can explain more about the world, like why the titans and mechs were originally built and how some under control why others are not, you know fill in most of the plot holes from this game.

Ok so Pyramid created the mechs and is gathering "slaves" right? But he said he was saving people? How by killing most people with mechs and putting the others to work with headbands is he saving people?

This game left to many plot holes. The pacing was off too as most people have said. Overall the story was good just like Heavenly Sword. Hopefully if the make a sequel the can explain more about the world, like why the titans and mechs were originally built and how some under control why others are not, you know fill in most of the plot holes from this game.

Totally right.

Its about times they makes our games built with a proper story without plot holes such as this game, then they wonder why this story telling medium isnt taken seriously.

Its about times they makes our games built with a proper story without plot holes such as this game, then they wonder why this story telling medium isnt taken seriously.

+1 cookie, because that is, well just true.

Without going to far of topic though I'd just like to say that this is what game developers do now. You buy half of the full story (possibly less if its EA, Activison, etc) so that they can milk a writers idea for more $£€'s.

Overall I expected a bit more from Ninja Theory and hoped to get a completed story, IMO 12hours does not constitute a full gaming experience.

Anyway, they did a good job making the game fun and the story was captivating up till the very abtupt end, at which point I expected somethign like - 3years later Monkey and Trip have a kid, blah blah etc, etc.

The other problem is that if Pyramid is supposed to be such a great thing- why are the ships called "Prisoner Ships"?

That was my only real gripe. Obviously it was a storytelling choice, because otherwise you would've known from the very beginning these people weren't really "slaves"... and they had to save that for the big Epilogue reveal. But still, it felt a little weird in retrospect. Villains don't call themselves villains, so why even use terms like "prisoners" and "slaves" when that obviously was not how Pyramid saw things?

Let's not forget that Pyramid most likely was more than just a little crazy. He's enforcing his "perfect virtual world" on people and kills people who oppose him. Sounds pretty deranged...

Edited by Moving On