Having An Unknown Time Limit In A Puzzle Game...

gettinmoney662

If you want, you could go to every stage, press the select button and wait to die then report back to us.

Haha, that's how it works? Fuck that, that's ridiculous. I thought it would be a countdown timer or something. How are you gonna give someone a time limit but let them have no idea when that time limit is up? PixelJunk Eden's time limit was pretty harsh but at least you knew when it was about to be up. In Echochrome, you'll be in the middle of getting your last guy and all of a sudden he'll drop down to his knees and the computer will say "Sorry." If you're near the end of the course, too bad, you have to start all over. Fuckin bullshit.

...is the stupidest fuckin idea since Atari thought E.T. would be a good game.

At least give me a timer so I know when I'm about to lose. At least tell me how long the limit is before I go into the puzzle or at least after I screw up.

How is knowing you're about to lose going to help you in the slightest? Just retry the level like you would have had to do if there WAS a visible timer.

Dumbest complaint thread ever.

Edited by Puppystomper

How is knowing you're about to lose going to help you in the slightest? Just retry the level like you would have had to do if there WAS a visible timer.

Dumbest complaint thread ever.

Ummm, because then I know I wouldn't be able to sit and think for awhile or I could at least see what I have done and plan for my next run while the clock is ticking down to its last second. Furthermore, if I only had one echo in the level so far and there was only 30 seconds left, I wouldn't bother going for the others and would just use the rest of my time to plan my next go at it. Also, I would be able to see how I'm currently doing against my previous times to see if I need to speed it up or if I know I'm going to make it for sure.

Is that enough reasons or should I keep naming them?

Ummm, because then I know I wouldn't be able to sit and think for awhile or I could at least see what I have done and plan for my next run while the clock is ticking down to its last second. Furthermore, if I only had one echo in the level so far and there was only 30 seconds left, I wouldn't bother going for the others and would just use the rest of my time to plan my next go at it. Also, I would be able to see how I'm currently doing against my previous times to see if I need to speed it up or if I know I'm going to make it for sure.

Is that enough reasons or should I keep naming them?

They're all stupid. Please, just stop.

Awww, I just realized what you are, you're a bitch. How cute.

The number one rule in making fun of people online is to at least be funny with it. You can't just be like, "You're stupid, ha ha ha" and expect people to be entertained.

I didn't say you were stupid, I said the reasons you stated were stupid. And who the fuck said I was trying to entertain? Stop making yourself look ridiculous.

Alright just finished the game and one thing I did notice after I failed Course G numerous times, a timer showed up on the upper right corner of the screen. Not sure if I hit a button or if the game feels sorry for you and gives you a timer. I believe on all the courses you have to beat them under 18:00.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Agreed. It's a big turn off for me.

It's bad enough that there's a timer for a game which doesn't need one. It's worse that it's mostly invisible!

If there was a timer, it should be counting up, instead of down, and used only for scoring and ranking purposes.

+1 the timeR is the worst idea of this game. It should be an option (to unlock a trophy or anything). I liked ECHOCHROME a lot, but the timer pissed me off. Trying to figure a way out of the different stages was a great experience. But not with a timer.

• 4 years later...

That I'm posting four years later suggests nobody will really care about what I'm about to say, but:

Each individual stage has a time limit of 5 minutes. You hear 1 bell at 1 minute, 2 at 2, 3 at 3, 4 at 4, then 5 more high pitched ones at 4:30, then a "sorry" at 5 minutes.

Each course has a time limit of 18 minutes. You get 1 bell at 3 minutes, 2 at 6, 3 at 9, 4 at 12, 5 at 15 then a sorry at 18. No extra warning. For courses, 18/8 means you have 2:15 per stage.

I don't think I could cope with a timer on the screen, if such an option exists. The game is stressful enough.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
That I'm posting four years later suggests nobody will really care about what I'm about to say, but:

Each individual stage has a time limit of 5 minutes. You hear 1 bell at 1 minute, 2 at 2, 3 at 3, 4 at 4, then 5 more high pitched ones at 4:30, then a "sorry" at 5 minutes.

Each course has a time limit of 18 minutes. You get 1 bell at 3 minutes, 2 at 6, 3 at 9, 4 at 12, 5 at 15 then a sorry at 18. No extra warning. For courses, 18/8 means you have 2:15 per stage.

I don't think I could cope with a timer on the screen, if such an option exists. The game is stressful enough.

I care

And the time limit is a bitch

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm not sure of the 5 minutes time either, some stages I went more than 5 minutes, even a few beyond the 10 minutes. It kinda sucks you can't tell how much time you have. I remember once I failed a stage when my character was literally a couple steps from the last shade to finish the level. I was so pissed, but when I tried again, I was quicker.

• 2 months later...

I'll confirm that as well. I have a 19:40.0 on course C, a 22.04.4 on course E, and 32.25.7 on course F. I have run out of time on the individual stages, so I know the time limit still exists, but if its still there for the courses, it's much more generous than 18 minutes.

• 5 years later...
On 11/16/2016 at 11:28 PM, bendomino said:

I'll confirm that as well. I have a 19:40.0 on course C, a 22.04.4 on course E, and 32.25.7 on course F. I have run out of time on the individual stages, so I know the time limit still exists, but if its still there for the courses, it's much more generous than 18 minutes.

how does it happen, how do you play without time limit? :)