How is the game?

gueeds2103

I might just pick the game up anyways. However, with no demo, I am wary towards buggy/sluggish gameplay and repetitive missions. The framerate also looked a little choppy in some videos I've seen. The game seems right up my alley, but I would like to see what some other people think before I take the plunge.

If you were interested in the game because of the trailer then you should absolutely pick it up. This is what a 3D Rampage game should have been. There are enough varieties of level layouts that it doesn't become repetitive anywhere near as quickly as Rampage does.

Most of the monster parts have different stats, and because of different mission objectives it's worthwhile to build and modify a couple monsters (a quick one for races, a low health high damage bruiser for targeted destruction levels, etc.). I never noticed any slowdown in singleplayer, and although multiplayer is local only every mission can be played in co-op. Plus, it has custom soundtrack support (I don't have much experience with PS3 games, but this seems to be kind of uncommon).

sodacat, thank you for the informative and genuinely helpful post. Made it worth popping open this thread; unlike the useless one-liner up near the top that dismissed it without saying anything useful.

I'm going to wait until I hear more but this looks like it could be an okay purchase. Will keep an eye out and report back if I find anything useful elsewhere on the internet regarding this game.

It's a very quick game. The city playable area is small and you're only allowed 2:30 minutes to do as much destruction as possible. There is like only 4 or 5 different cities and you have various challenges such as destroying as much property as possible or eating as many people as possible.

Monster customization is ok, you have to get silver or gold medals to get more parts. But even when I have all the parts it feels like they could have added much more. There's like only ~15 head pieces and ~20 arm pieces and some chest/back/leg parts. There's a mix of robot and monster parts

Your monster seems to have a constant health drain and loses more when attacking or being attacked thus forcing you to always eat people to refill your health. You have unlimited lives but the penalty for dying is having a few seconds on the clock subtracted. Which is annoying because you only get 2 minutes of game time to destroy.

This game is great if you're fans of Rampage and Godzilla games or even my favorite, King of Monsters. It's great only because there is no other full 60 dollar game of this type. As a ten dollar game, you're going to get around 3-5 hours out of it.

Edit:

All trophies can be done solo. OCM and Megabucks looks hard but can be achieved with the time slip backpack to slow down the clock.

Edited by Azsharra

Thanks for the input sodacat and Azsharra! After reading them though, I think I would get annoyed with constant health drain and only a few timed levels. I was hoping to be able to pretty much take my time and demolish everything in sight, but from the sounds of things it seems like they made it a chore. Appreciate the insight though and will keep an eye on this game further to see if I change my mind.

Your monster seems to have a constant health drain and loses more when attacking or being attacked thus forcing you to always eat people to refill your health. You have unlimited lives but the penalty for dying is having a few seconds on the clock subtracted. Which is annoying because you only get 2 minutes of game time to destroy.
This actually seems genius to me, a lot like the Lost Planet games with the thermal energy.

You also forgot to mention one great game that came out last gen exclusively for the PS2, War of the Monsters.

Well looks like I might pick this up with the discounted Deadliest Warrior game.

This actually seems genius to me, a lot like the Lost Planet games with the thermal energy.

You also forgot to mention one great game that came out last gen exclusively for the PS2, War of the Monsters.

Well looks like I might pick this up with the discounted Deadliest Warrior game.

This game is basically all about challenges/missions and trying to earn gold medals on all of them. There is also a leader board for every mission. In a way it makes sense to have monster's health drain to make it challenging.

What it is lacking is a large sandbox mode, where you're free to survive and roam around without the clock counting down. There is a survival challenge where you try to stay alive for 4 minutes but I would like to play longer than that.

I picked this up last night, only £5 for PlaystationPlus members. It's good for a laugh. It'll probably get repetitive but so far I'm enjoying trying to beat the challenges and appreciate that they're not ALL destroy everything missions.

The energy drain isn't really that big a deal, it's a game mechanic to make it challenging. The designs and look are cool. Being able to make your own distinctive monster is a nice touch. It's best selling point is that you can flick it on for 5 minutes and just have fun destroying stuff. The only thing it seems to be missing is a free play mode where you don't have to worry about time and energy draining.

There are better games out there but not many you can pick up for a quick cheap fix like this one.

game is funny. might be even more with more players causing destruction. 6 or 7 story levels to beat with few challanges each.

got half of the trophies only by playing the game.

getting all gold and causing less than 50 000 damage in the race looks challenging or maybe there will be some special spot to get it.

It really depends on how you like these kind of games or not. So far I have only been able to play it for a few hours but have a blast when I do play it. It is a great game for only $10. It is one you can turn on when you only have a half an hour to kill and want some mindless destruction.

Its also a good 2 player game when you have a friend come over and need a little chuckle game to play.

If you liked Rampage back in the day you will love this.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...