Easy way to tackle Hard/Chaos for Lvl 5 Weapons ~

cocoa_sg

Hello!

As you may know, one of the trophies requires you to collect all weapons in the game, including Level 5 weapons, which have a few requirements:

1) You must play as the EX user of the 5th level weapon in order to unlock that weapon, for example, playing as Zhang Liao to unlock the 5th level Twin Halberds in the Battle of Hefei stage (Wei).

2) The difficulty must be set as Hard or higher.

3) Only stages in Story Mode and Free Mode are to be used.

Please refer to this thread by Bng422 (translated from a Japanese wiki) for the full list of Level 5 weapons and their locations:

Dynasty Warriors 8 5th Weapons Guide

EDIT: Full Weapon List - http://koei.wikia.com/wiki/Dynasty_Warriors_8/Weapons

Now, let's get to the meat of the details on how to tackle at least Hard/Chaos with all the officers, other than your main which you will no doubt have focused on only for his/her most powerful weapons and elements.

1) First, raise the Blacksmith level in Ambition Mode to the max of Level 50; this ensures that you are able to buy Level 4 weapons at least (farm material stages on Beginner difficulty to get as much materials as possible).

2) Like the Thunder Flute trick from DW7: Xtreme Legends and earlier, you are able to emulate this flute trick here too!

3) Now, simply check the Flute weapons from the Blacksmith UNTIL you see an empty Level 4 flute (any affinity will do) OR a Level 4 flute with 1-3 of the elements that are required to make it overpowered (like the above-mentioned Thunder Flute trick) but none of any other undesired elements. Reset by quitting from Ambition Mode and then checking the Blacksmith again.

4) The six elements that you will need for the flute are: Slash, Thunder, Cyclone, Awe, Recovery/Jubilation (Jubilation is better in my opinion), Induction.

5) Once you have the base flute ready (empty or filled with a few of those desired elements above), simply Temper it at the blacksmith with other weapons with 1 or 2 of the other desired elements. Once you have filled up the flute with all 6 of the desired elements, simply Temper it again with more weapons to strengthen those elements to Level 10. Best not to sell junk weapons with only 1 element (but which is desired); makes it much easier to Temper desired elements only onto the flute). Feel free to ask me more questions later about Tempering, if you wish.

6) Now that you have one overpowered flute ready (with one affinity), feel free to repeat the process to get another flute of a DIFFERENT affinity.

7) Use both flutes with any officer that you need the Level 5 weapon for, and ride on a horse with at least the horse skill "Sprint - Endurance" (I think that was the name, forgot) that prevents you from being knocked off the horse by attacks. And set the difficulty to Hard or above.

8) Hold down the L1 button to strafe with the horse, and spam the Triangle button to shoot off heavy attacks with the flute, switching between both affinities as required based on enemy officers' affinities; you will be able to stun and deal insane damage to them, keeping them in the air, making it quite easy to get those Level 5 weapons.

EDIT:

9) The 4 skills that I recommend you use for this set-up are: Equestrian, Havoc, Attack Boost, Mighty Roar.

Figured I would add to the thread by mentioning the two weapons I made. I made 2, 4 circle Lightning Swords with their affinities being Heaven and Earth. I have the following elements on both weapons maxed out at 10; Cyclone, Explosive, Flash, Jubilation, Slash, and Velocity. I tested them both out on a couple of Chaos stages and honestly, these weapons are very overpowered. I almost always took out an officer within 5 hits. It's like playing the Easy difficulty, only that the enemies hit a lot harder.

Also another thing to try is the lottery of special weapons at the blacksmith. Sometimes you can get a decent base weapon with one of the elements you need. Finding blank 4 circle weapons is a lot harder than reloading over and over with the special weapons til you get something that works.

Just for reference, you can actually just exit the 'special weapons' page and go back into it for a new selection of level 4 weapons to be listed. No need to exit/return to ambition mode repeatedly.

Now for another set of elements for your main character (like me, if you do not want to tackle Chaos difficulty with such a cheap flute trick, but rather get into the meat of things and just have fun):

The elements required are:

Slash, Thunder, Cyclone, Velocity (or switch that out if you are using a fast character, for perhaps Awe), Recovery/Jubilation (Jubilation is recommended), Explosive

EDIT: The 4 skills that I recommend you use for this set-up are: Victory Cry/Fortune Hunter, Havoc, Attack Boost, Mighty Roar.

Simply make two of your main character's Level 4 weapons with those elements as above, but with different affinities. Slash away and have fun!

For your info, I use Zhang Liao as my favourite main character, as I always have for all the DW games up to date. =D His R1 attack is simply insane, allowing you to melt down Chaos generals' HP from far range, and well, his EX attack makes him a fast killing machine. And more importantly, his Square + Square + Triangle combo always breaks through officers' guard and stuns them all the time. But hey, just play whoever suits you best. *wink*

Edited by cocoa_sg

I've read that Induction and Thunder on the same weapon together will cancel one of the elements out, so you might want to consider getting one or the other, not both.

That is interesting, thanks for pointing this out! If so, I guess you could keep Thunder as it does extra damage to enemy officers like Slash, and replace Induction with Explosive for the flutes.

The lv 5 weapon vary tremendously in their difficulty, some can be gotten easily after you beaten campaign once (or even during first through), others require alot of preparation.

If you just getting started, here are the easiest ones for me:

[spoiler=nelain]

Yue Jin (Battle of Yan Province): Follow the mission prompt and cross the bridge, it won't take 5 mins.

Gan Ning (IF Battle of He Fei): Pretty much just just follow the mission, you can't let the siege ram get destroyed later in the battle, but you are always near the thing (unless you purposely wander off), so protecting it should not be an issue.

Ma Chao (Infiltration of Chang An): follow prompt, kill a few generals, reach the second Lady-in-wait (or whatever she is called in English version) in less than 5 mins.

Huang Zhong (Mt. Ding Jun): follow prompt, make sure to kill every single general you encounter on your way up the mountain.

Quick question: How do get the Level 5 weapons?

I've done both Lu Bu's and Ma Chao's on Hard and Chaos in both free play and story mode and each time it said i found a treasure but after the battle was over i didn't get the weapons.

Is there something i'm missing here? or is there something wrong with my game.

Quick question: How do get the Level 5 weapons?

I've done both Lu Bu's and Ma Chao's on Hard and Chaos in both free play and story mode and each time it said i found a treasure but after the battle was over i didn't get the weapons.

Is there something i'm missing here? or is there something wrong with my game.

You have to go and pick up that treasure weapon, check the battle log for location.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Actually to get the 5 level weapons i use xiahou yuan's 5 level bow and rod (which is quite easy to gain) and just spam the charge attack 6, cause it kills enemy officers instantly (it has the wind element and C6 consists in multiple hits).. hope this helps :)

actually, with good attributes setup by tempering, most weapons could be used for hard/chaos setup.

personally, I did most of my 5 star weapons hunt on chaos, if I were to attempt it on hard, I need to do once more on chaos for the "completing all stages on chaos" trophy. so that saves some time for your platinum run. :)