Nightmare Character Build *questions*

I'm using LuBu at Max Stats and currently having difficulties with the Nightmare Difficulty.

Could someone tell me a good build I could use to make LuBu seam invincible again!?

I'm currently using:

Conqueror's Halberd

ATK: 100

Equipped Seals:

Walking Speed

Attack Range Up

Projectile Resistance

Combat Resistance

Officer Assassin

Dragon Eye

ATK: 84

Equipped Seals:

Walking Speed

Attack Range Up

Projectile Resistance

Combat Resistance

Officer Assassin

Thank you in advance for any help!

No matter what you do, enemies on nightmare mode are going to hurt you badly. The answer is to have a Speed weapon to heal yourself with in a pinch (or EX for Jin people).

Lu Bu with max stats is going to be exactly the same as everyone else, though. The only difference will be his musou (actually, I find his ground musou not very good, his jump one is tons better, but slightly tougher to use since you can't jump cancel with Halberd). You may wish to try massively upping your attack with both Elemental Attack Up, and Synergy/Double Element, depending on the element of Dragon Eye or whatever other alternate you use. I never really saw the point of resistances just because I find that it's easier to just try to avoid getting hit in the first place rather than taking the hit during your string.

The other key is knowing exactly how your attack string works. If you start at the edge of a crowd and work your way in with C6 on the halberd, you'll end up at the center of the crowd in an invincible charge move that does huge crowd damage. By the way, an easy way to throw in Lu Bu's awesome musou 2 is to hit with C4 (which is unblockable), and right as it ends, do a short hop and immediately hit O to activate. You'll juggle them right out of the air.

Otherwise, it's not a matter of your character becoming buff and invincible, it's a matter of you having enough survivability to kill everything else before it can kill you. You'll have to wait for Musou Orochi 2 to get your invincible Lu Bu back. :)

No matter what you do, enemies on nightmare mode are going to hurt you badly. The answer is to have a Speed weapon to heal yourself with in a pinch (or EX for Jin people).

Lu Bu with max stats is going to be exactly the same as everyone else, though. The only difference will be his musou (actually, I find his ground musou not very good, his jump one is tons better, but slightly tougher to use since you can't jump cancel with Halberd). You may wish to try massively upping your attack with both Elemental Attack Up, and Synergy/Double Element, depending on the element of Dragon Eye or whatever other alternate you use. I never really saw the point of resistances just because I find that it's easier to just try to avoid getting hit in the first place rather than taking the hit during your string.

The other key is knowing exactly how your attack string works. If you start at the edge of a crowd and work your way in with C6 on the halberd, you'll end up at the center of the crowd in an invincible charge move that does huge crowd damage. By the way, an easy way to throw in Lu Bu's awesome musou 2 is to hit with C4 (which is unblockable), and right as it ends, do a short hop and immediately hit O to activate. You'll juggle them right out of the air.

Otherwise, it's not a matter of your character becoming buff and invincible, it's a matter of you having enough survivability to kill everything else before it can kill you. You'll have to wait for Musou Orochi 2 to get your invincible Lu Bu back. :)

Thanks a lot for the information! Now to try and survive! :|

If you want to seem invincible on Nightmare, you could use this method. Be warned though, this will make the game no fun. If you're looking for any type of challenge, don't do this.

First, equip Red Hare as your horse.

Next, equip the the best Flute you have with the Lightning element and the best Feather Fan you have with the Wind element.

The seals you want are Double Element, Combat Resistance, Horsemanship, Officer Assassination x2, Elemental Attack Up x2, and Projectile Resistance x2. I don't know if a second Horsemanship stacks, but I use two anyways.

Now, to use this set up, don't get off your horse and have your Flute equipped at all times. When you reach enemies, simply hold the guard button to strafe around and press Triangle for your charge attack. Your area Flute charge attack on a horse will attack everyone in an area. Because of the Wind element and Double Element, it will ignore any blocks and deal damage to everyone. Keep using your charge attack until the enemy officer is dead, then move to the next.

This works on just about any stage except for those which you need to dismount your horse, which is only about three stages in Legend Mode.

If you want to seem invincible on Nightmare, you could use this method. Be warned though, this will make the game no fun. If you're looking for any type of challenge, don't do this.

Next, equip the the best Flute you have with the Lightning element and the best Feather Fan you have with the Wind element.

The seals you want are Double Element, Combat Resistance, Horsemanship, Officer Assassination x2, Elemental Attack Up x2, and Projectile Resistance x2. I don't know if a second Horsemanship stacks, but I use two anyways.

Now, to use this set up, don't get off your horse and have your Flute equipped at all times. When you reach enemies, simply hold the guard button to strafe around and press Triangle for your charge attack. Your area Flute charge attack on a horse will attack everyone in an area. Because of the Wind element and Double Element, it will ignore any blocks and deal damage to everyone. Keep using your charge attack until the enemy officer is dead, then move to the next.

This works on just about any stage except for those which you need to dismount your horse, which is only about three stages in Legend Mode.

Hmm! Very interesting, I think I'll use this to get the Nightmare weapons out of the way! Thank you for this information!

I got all but two (For the nightmare dragon spear and nightmare brush I used the red hare, chaos flute/chaos war fan trick) of the nightmare weapons by using this set-up:

Weapons

Nightmare Dragon Spear lvl 7 lightning element

Chaos War Fan lvl 9 wind element

Seals

Attack range up x1, combat resistance, elemental invulnerability, element attack up x1, double element, officer assassin x2, walking speed up x2.

My character was Zhen Ji (Her musou's deal alot of damage now and are good for recovering health and she has element attack up in her skill tree so you can deal max damage and save a seal slot since the Dragon Spear only has 4 slots).

To deal alot of damage on nightmare difficulty with any character you need to equip two officer assassins and two element attack ups, one weapon with wind element and one weapon with lightning element and combat resistance so you don't get interrupted.

I recommend using the nightmare dragon spear because its a speed weapon so you recover life, has about 77 attack power, the ability to tumble to safety if your juggled or caught in an enemies musou and you can continually attack by using its ability to instantly use the :triangle: attack after the 4th-6th charges which unless you miss or they use an air musou you can juggle them forever.

I have Lu Bu's final title but I never really use him. Even with his final title he's still very vulnerable on nightmare difficulty because his EX weapon is a power weapon so when I used him I used my current set-up with him on nightmare difficulty. But with your current set-up you have one obvious problem: Combat resistance doesn't stack so having two is a waste of a slot so swap one for element attack up so the slash element is more effective.

I just have to say, it's actually really neat seeing different strategies of play, but I guess that was the point in giving so many weapon/element options. I've never been a person for finesse, so my strategy is for rambo-ing in and killing everyone on foot, personally.

For Rampdizier's strat, what's the point of having the fan if you don't use it? The fan is not the only weapon with wind element.

Well, any Wind element weapon will do, but if I remember right, and I haven't played the game in a while, the best one can be obtained pretty early (again, if I remember right). I could be wrong on that, but like you said, any Wind element weapon with five seal slots should work.

Well, any Wind element weapon will do, but if I remember right, and I haven't played the game in a while, the best one can be obtained pretty early (again, if I remember right). I could be wrong on that, but like you said, any Wind element weapon with five seal slots should work.

Don't forget it has lvl 9 wind element which increases its damage. Lower wind element weapons deal a little less elemental damage.

The chaos flute (Lvl 9 lightning) and chaos war fan (Lvl 9 wind) are the most powerful combination for this trick with double element equipped.

On the last stage (Liu Shan's) on nightmare difficulty you can kill any generic in about 6-10 hits because each hit is unblockable and either stuns an enemy or sends them straight up in the air allowing them to be juggled continually.

I got all but two (For the nightmare dragon spear and nightmare brush I used the red hare, chaos flute/chaos war fan trick) of the nightmare weapons by using this set-up:

Weapons

Nightmare Dragon Spear lvl 7 lightning element

Chaos War Fan lvl 9 wind element

Seals

Attack range up x1, combat resistance, elemental invulnerability, element attack up x1, double element, officer assassin x2, walking speed up x2.

My character was Zhen Ji (Her musou's deal alot of damage now and are good for recovering health and she has element attack up in her skill tree so you can deal max damage and save a seal slot since the Dragon Spear only has 4 slots).

To deal alot of damage on nightmare difficulty with any character you need to equip two officer assassins and two element attack ups, one weapon with wind element and one weapon with lightning element and combat resistance so you don't get interrupted.

I recommend using the nightmare dragon spear because its a speed weapon so you recover life, has about 77 attack power, the ability to tumble to safety if your juggled or caught in an enemies musou and you can continually attack by using its ability to instantly use the :triangle: attack after the 4th-6th charges which unless you miss or they use an air musou you can juggle them forever.

I have Lu Bu's final title but I never really use him. Even with his final title he's still very vulnerable on nightmare difficulty because his EX weapon is a power weapon so when I used him I used my current set-up with him on nightmare difficulty. But with your current set-up you have one obvious problem: Combat resistance doesn't stack so having two is a waste of a slot so swap one for element attack up so the slash element is more effective.

Thanks for the tips!

I didn't realize combat resistance didn't stack!

Lu Bu is by far the fastest killer, but I get lazy and doesn't like to switch weapon.

Guan Yu's damage dealing rate is a little slower than Lu Bu, but he is basically impossible to kill due to healing on the main weapon, so my built:

Weapon 1 Divine Dragon:

Synergy

Attack Range up

Combat Resistance

Projective resistance

officer Assassin

Lion's Fang (or Burning Phoenix):

elemental up

projective resistance

officer Assassin

for every officer, EX attack to get attack buff, then just keep C6 with Mosou. This will get you through all Nightmare weapon requirements with ease, except for Shu's Wuzhang Plain, you need to kill officers superfast on that so that Zhuge Liang doesn't kick the bucket, use Lu Bu for that.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a question but I have equipped the same slots as described in this thread. I am dealing lots off damage to bosses as expected but they are able to block still. Which is the element or setup which disables the bosses blocking?

I can still go up behind them and catch them off guard on the horse but I was hoping they wouldn't be able to block :)

Just a question but I have equipped the same slots as described in this thread. I am dealing lots off damage to bosses as expected but they are able to block still. Which is the element or setup which disables the bosses blocking?

I can still go up behind them and catch them off guard on the horse but I was hoping they wouldn't be able to block :)

Weapon 1: Lightning

Weapon 2: Wind

The higher the elements level the better

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not a big fan of combat resistance on higher difficulty levels. This skill has been in past titles as well, and i find it has an actual sort of drawback on high difficulty levels. That drawback is you take carzy amounts of damage that does not stop. The skill only stops you from having your attack interupted, it does not lessen the damage being received. Meaning you stand there while they keep wailing on you... Sure you are attacking, but if its from behind, it goes on unless you have a wepaon with full range. I find it better to focus on damage being done, and just not get hit, then work too much on DEF. Use saves before and during teh battle to ensure this happens.

Often I find projectile resistance a key as archers on teh sidelines are always a DW treat, especially on high diffculty levels. Always a good idea to clear them out of an area before going after a general, if you have teh time to do so.

Synergy is a great strength boost, and is stackable. in Lu Bu's case, he can stack 3 of them, as 1 in is his base skill set. This powers up your attack, especially teh Mousou it seems to very high levels. Also Lu Bu's 2nd airbourne mosusou is unblockable. Given that capability, give him Dark element on both weapons, elemenatal attack up, synergy, then round out with def items like projectile resitance or what not. On Chaos he can OHK most generals with this setup, and many of nightmare ones dont take very long. Da Qiao is alos a great chosie as her 2nd mosusou is also unblockable and can "gather up" many of teh generals on the field in that attack to hit them all at once.

Best advice in this game though is to abuse interiem saves. If you rush in an dget nailed instead of attacking, reload... I save every time i do anything well. Its insurance. In some old titles (im looking at you DW3XL) it was the only way to get some wepaons, especially if playing solo. DW5 was evil when it introduced limited saves... BAD KOEI!!! lol The only downside is that DW7XL has only a single save slot, so make sure when you save, you are not in a bad spot, otherwise you just locked it in.

Edited by Metal_Jaws

currently using a max sun ce with halberd and staff. both have synergy.

attack +++, defence +++, officer assassin, projectal resistence, attack range up (i think).

switching between halberd and staff with one recovering health while the other one briefly doubles attack.

currently using a max sun ce with halberd and staff. both have synergy.

attack +++, defence +++, officer assassin, projectal resistence, attack range up (i think).

switching between halberd and staff with one recovering health while the other one briefly doubles attack.

Just so you know, if your Sun Ce has maxed base stats at 1400 att/def, then Att+++ and Def+++ no longer benefit you. They do not increase stats beyond the max.

Just so you know, if your Sun Ce has maxed base stats at 1400 att/def, then Att+++ and Def+++ no longer benefit you. They do not increase stats beyond the max.

Thanks for that. I was wondering if it was pointless even though the character has maxed stats.

Guess ill equip something more useful to help assist with nightmare - wu zhang (shu).

I know its not the right topic but i am struggling with this one. I have gone through 3 playthroughs on this level and still yet to acquire the weapon.

I took over the 2 bases, killed deng ai, then zhong hui, captured the bases, retreated, then killed all officers except for sima yi, yet i still can't get the weapon. Have played both Sun Ce and Zhuge Liang but to no avail. Help?

UPDATE: Finally managed to do it. all nightmare weapons now complete. Wasn't hard at all. Comparing it to DW3 and DW4 xtreme legends :3

Edited by Bofuism

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
Don't forget it has lvl 9 wind element which increases its damage. Lower wind element weapons deal a little less elemental damage.

The chaos flute (Lvl 9 lightning) and chaos war fan (Lvl 9 wind) are the most powerful combination for this trick with double element equipped.

On the last stage (Liu Shan's) on nightmare difficulty you can kill any generic in about 6-10 hits because each hit is unblockable and either stuns an enemy or sends them straight up in the air allowing them to be juggled continually.

I assume using a double elemental damage up seals would also increase damage output?

• 10 months later...

Wow! This has proven very effective on getting the 8th title. So this is the famous flute-fan technique. I

I have platinumed Dynasty Warriors 7, DW 7 Empires, DW 8 and Warriors Orochi 3 but never tried this technique. Thanks!