Most popular characters

sefjwm

Based on the lvl 20 trophies found here Dungeon Siege III Trophies - YourGamerCards.net

it looks like the most popular main character is Lucas followed my Katarina, Anjali and Reinhart.

Why is that? Personally I found Lucas and Katarina to be the two hardest characters to use. Lucas always has to me in melee range and has no "summon" spell. Katarina has horrible animation delay on her normal rifle attack that always gets me killed.

Anjali seems to be the most OP with a summon, shield, and 2 ridiculously strong AOE spells that are even more insanely powerful empowered. The last boss is a joke when you place them under his face.

I also like Reinhart with his clone decoy and super strong electrocution. He also had a shield.

What are your favorites and why?

• 1 month later...

I think Lucas has the highest because he's the easiest to use. You don't really need to consider combining his skills in certain ways. If you're struggling with him, back off, activate your healing aura, and run decoy for your ranged partner.

He doesn't struggle at all to regenerate focus, and late-game you can become basically invincible, as he can gain a sword that has 110+ Vampiric. Add this to high stamina armour, and you can pretty much never die.

• 3 months later...

I totally agree with the thread opener, though the two people you pointed out as best has even more powers that when used right can make them even more powerful. Reinhart and Anjali both have teleport evading, which is very effective in fights. Reinhart can even inflict slow and damage when he is teleporting around undamaged. And then you can also make Reinhart's magic cost less to use and be stronger, which makes the (can't remember the name of the attack, the bottom middle spell) last for a long time, and you can both make it stronger and heal Reinhart while he does it. He can also weaken a big area for other melee character to do a lot of extra damage. I ended up not using lightning much, because there was no point in keeping him as a fighter, but rather a rogue going around inflicting negative status on the enemies and healing team players while rarely ever dying. Anjali felt much the same way, just she was more of a fighter. The best teams for me was a mix of Reinhart, Anjali and Lucas. Katrina was pretty useless.

Katarina is simply overpowered in this game with the correct build. I just played through hardcore with her, using Anjali as my AI controlled companion. Apart of some early fights (most notably the thief master in the crypts - that's where my Katarina first died), i had NO problems finishing the game. No problems in Jeyne's rectangular arena, or fighting her at the top of the Spire, or in the East Forest later. I do not believe it would've been so easy using any other character, or with any other character as my companion. Player Katarina + AI Anjali (or a co-op buddy) is simply the most powerful combo available in this game.

That said, my Anjali was built only to be a semi-tank with decent DPS, that would deal some damage to monsters, but i really focused on her supportive and resurrecting role.

Weapons - anything with high agility and stagger. Every other stats on weapons were ignored.

Armors/jewelry - a healthy mix of stamina and agility, with some armor whenever possible. I completely ignored block, all chaos statistics, and all those funny stats like warding. No need for them.

In the end, my Anjali on 28th level had ~30% crit chance, about 2800hp and would keep every cyclops and other more durable opponents in a stun-lock, using both her autoattack and skills.

Proficiencies - defense and stuns. Higher health for the jackal, quick health from self-healing, and stuns/knockdowns/slowdowns everywhere else.

Abilities - higher health gain, stuns via critical hits, AoE knockdowns via critical hits, and all other defensive/critical bonuses.

My Katarina:

Weapon of choice - XYZ Carbine of Brutality (the prefix doesn't really matter) - high agility + high doom. I never ever used the pistols save for summoning the dog from time to time, and they had the highest possible +will (completely ignored everything else). The Carbine was green or blue all the time, i've never used a gold weapon, no nice +doom uniques. In the end, you want 140+ doom (quite easy, my Carbine alone had 95 doom).

Armor stats - agility high enough to have 55-60% in critical chance (51% is the absolute minimum); then ring of doom (found a +40 one in Glitterdelve shop); necklace with +agility and +doom. It's better to have +3 agility than +15 stamina. Ignore everything else but agility, doom and stamina, with stamina being the least important of the three.

Proficiencies - Heartseeking Shot for focus recovery, although it doesn't really matter so much later on; healing skill for additional hp when attacking; dog for hp and dmg; the middle support skill for +agility; the rest doesn't matter, though Caress of Suffering may reduce the target's armor, and it might speed some fights up.

Abilities - more hp; higher agility; more critical damage; then the most important is Thrill of the Hunt, max it out; after you have those, work on the ability that deals damage when dodging - 2-3 points is enough.

Some things to keep in mind on that build:

* use Heartseeking Shot as often as possible to master it asap; it will be your main (and, pretty much, ONLY skill to use after you get Thrill of the Hunt);

* dodge often; never stay stationary, as you are a glass cannon - you may die in two hits, but your one hit should wipe out the whole enemy group; during boss fights, you have to time your shots well - usually it looks something like dodge-dodge-dodge-empowered HS-dodge-dodge-empowered HS-dodge-dodge-heal (or empowered heal, if Anjali took ANY damage)-dodge-dodge-empowered HS... - generating power spheres as you dodge!

* you can spam mastered Heartseeking if you have at least 2-3 points in Thrill (max it out!); in the end, you will generate more power spheres than lose for using the skill, letting you spam it all the time (the fight with Warbeast, on hardcore, was down to getting close to the boss and spamming empowered Heartseeking in its side until it died);

* later on, with the dodging-damage ability, you will deal like 4 damage each dodge... but when you crit, and you will crit nearly all the time, it will be 170 damage + getting some power spheres for heals or Heartseeking; in theory, you could just spam dodge and heal all the time, and kill everyone, but it'd take a bit long - so make free use of empowered Heartseeking.

Edited by freythis

• 2 months later...

Did my hardcore run with Katarina. I liked all the characters, but I found her the most fun. Flintlock Fury empowered with a high crit is insane, and is pretty much the only way I got past the master thief boss just before the gent. Near the end of the game one of the last things I put points into was the skill that leaches when you dodge. Combine that, again, with a high crit and not only are you dealing some pretty good damage, but you're also leaching some of your total power (pink orbs) back. Awesomely fun to just spam empowered heartseeking shot over and over. Biggest downer was Rajani, literally took me 7 hours of gameplay to beat her solo on hardcore. UGH.

• 2 months later...
Based on the lvl 20 trophies found here Dungeon Siege III Trophies - YourGamerCards.net

it looks like the most popular main character is Lucas followed my Katarina, Anjali and Reinhart.

Why is that? Personally I found Lucas and Katarina to be the two hardest characters to use. Lucas always has to me in melee range and has no "summon" spell. Katarina has horrible animation delay on her normal rifle attack that always gets me killed.

Anjali seems to be the most OP with a summon, shield, and 2 ridiculously strong AOE spells that are even more insanely powerful empowered. The last boss is a joke when you place them under his face.

I also like Reinhart with his clone decoy and super strong electrocution. He also had a shield.

What are your favorites and why?

I like fire bitch and lightning dude!

• 1 year later...

Personally, Katarina is my girl. I typically play rogue styled characters, and she is the closest the game has. I wasn't too big on the gun style, but the more I played as her, the better I was liking her. Anjali is my other go to (and my favorite NPC) because she is crazy overpowered. Lucas seems to be hesitant when it comes to using power orbs and the like (plus playing sword and board isn't my style). As for Reinhart, I haven't played as him as the main character as of yet, so all I can base it off of is him as an NPC, and he wasn't too much help for how I typically play.