Bad Controls

Masononmute

Yeah on extreme, I know I was pushing down because you have no choice but to play with hard pogo configuration, and in the himilayas especially trying to get those goddamn goats, many a time I pushed down and it didn't click.

Thats where I lost most of my lives on extreme, cuz Transylvania, African Mines weren't too bad, and when I got the treasure on Himilayas as I said in another thread, when I went to Amazon next I had no lives left.

I had better luck when I switched to using analog over d-pad (which I hate doing in games like this), but it was still spotty as inputs just seem to be ignored sometimes. It's a shame, as I feel like the control issues takes you away from what otherwise is a fun experience.

I started to go analog on my 2nd time around, and got all the way to the end, then it started sticking on me. Yeah I was a wee bit pissed then lol, but then when I went to D-Pad I had much better success, but it really is one's preference.

For what it's worth, according to the Steam community hub for the PC version it looks like the pogo was already patched. A developer post confirmed that they fixed pogo not going through in certain situations.

Hopefully this means that they'll be doing the same for the console version, but obviously it'll have to go through the normal certification stuff. So fingers crossed this won't be an issue soon enough if they patch it on the console side as well.

I think I know why the controls are bad on hard mode in this game as opposed to DuckTales on the NES. And by controls, I am of course talking about the Pogo Stick not coming out when you want I to.

The reason why (I think) is because we tend to press :square: or :circle: just before we press down on the D-Pad. I tested it out for a while and when you press down before :square: or :circle:, it usually works.

I forgot how the NES was, but I don't think that was the case back then. I think it didn't matter which button you pressed first. Maybe that's why the NES seems much more easier, especially with the case that on the NES, Scrooge doesn't quit hopping on the edge of a ledge. I noticed that on the Remastered, the ledges can interrupt your bouncing if you're not careful.

Anyway, I hope they come out with a fix update to correct this and allow the Pogo Stick to come out regardless which button to press.

Again, this is only when the Hard mode Pogo option is in effect.

I'm having the same issues guys! And I always make certain I press down before I press square. It just won't come out whenever it matters! This is seemingly frustrating as you're going for the "Smarter than the Smarties" trophy! I know this game like the back of my hand but the only thing that's making this difficulty really hard is because of the mandatory broken "Hard pogo" option!

Edited by Dragoontooth

Controls are not broken.

"Hard pogo" is the classic NES version of Pogo-Jump controls.

On NES it was:

1. You press "Jump" key.

2. You press "Down" key.

3. You press "Pogo" key, while you holding "Down" key.

If you press "Pogo" earlier then "Down" key - you just falls on enemy head.

If you press "Pogo" and "Down" at the same time - you just falls on enemy head.

It is classic controls and it is not seems to be broken. It was made for give you the feeling of Classic Nes DuckTales game, same as no save-points and only 5 hearts of hit-points.

But it is pain in the ass, i agree.

P.s. sorry for my English. It is bad, i know. :)

Controls are not broken.

"Hard pogo" is the classic NES version of Pogo-Jump controls.

no, it's broken and it needs to be patched. They already patched it for the PC.

The issue shows up in the "easy pogo" mode too. Sometimes, the pogo just doesn't deploy when you hit square or circle, and there's no excuse for that. There's no "timing" or proper execution required, just "press the button," and it still doesn't work all the time.

It got to the point where I would try to avoid just jumping directly on an enemy's head, and instead I would start the pogo and hold down the button, thereby ensuring that the game wouldn't glitch on me... especially on the last level where that would mean falling into the lava.

Between this issue and the occasional crashes I've been experiencing, this is impossible until it gets a patch. I don't understand how anyone has pulled it off.

no, it's broken and it needs to be patched. They already patched it for the PC.

The issue shows up in the "easy pogo" mode too. Sometimes, the pogo just doesn't deploy when you hit square or circle, and there's no excuse for that. There's no "timing" or proper execution required, just "press the button," and it still doesn't work all the time.

It got to the point where I would try to avoid just jumping directly on an enemy's head, and instead I would start the pogo and hold down the button, thereby ensuring that the game wouldn't glitch on me... especially on the last level where that would mean falling into the lava.

Between this issue and the occasional crashes I've been experiencing, this is impossible until it gets a patch. I don't understand how anyone has pulled it off.

You will be surprised to know that in Nes-version it worked the same way.

Developers from WayForward just gave us classic control for maximum nostalgia.

I already "game overed" several times on Extreme mode, and keep trying :)

You will be surprised to know that in Nes-version it worked the same way.

Developers from WayForward just gave us classic control for maximum nostalgia.

I already "game overed" several times on Extreme mode, and keep trying :)

It surely did not work that way in NES. In the old version it was your own fault if you couldn't succeed with pogo jump. I completed the Extreme mode on my first try but I was ready to give up many times because of the unresponsive pogo system.

I admit that hard pogo depends somewhat of the timing like you said but there surely is serious problems in the controls. The problems with easy pogo proves that too. It's sad that they executed this remake so well but messed up with the controls which were quite solid in the NES version.

I don't think there's a "serious" issue with the controls - at least I've had none during my playthrough on hard difficulty, but even I can admit there's a small area I've noticed in the Mount Vesuvius stage that when you jump and try to pogo, it's unresponsive a large part of the time depending on how high Scrooge is in the air/low to the ground. If that little patch exists, maybe it exists in other parts of the game also, who knows.

But, as it stands, the controls were far from "bad" when I beat the game on hard. I found them very responsive and I played through hard mode with hard pogo enabled the entire way through.