-Offline: 8 (3 (B) 3 (S) 2 (G))

-Online: 0

-Approximate time to 100%: 1-3 hours

-Minimum number of playthroughs needed: 2

-Number of missable trophies: 0

-Glitched trophies: 0

-Do cheats affect trophies?: No cheats

Introduction

Dragon's Lair II is an interactive movie game originally released in the arcades in 1991. The game is more unique as you do not directly control Dirk, the main character. Instead, the game is a scripted animated movie where you must enter the correct input in order to progress. Throughout the game, yellow lights will flash on the screen to indicate your move. The direction you must enter (:left:, :right:, :up: or :down:) depends on where the light is relative to Dirk's location on the screen. If Dirk's sword lights up, you must press :cross:. You only have a brief moment (some shorter than others) to enter in the correct move. If you fail to enter the correct move in time or if you enter an incorrect move, you lose a life.

Quick reflexes and memorization through trial and error are the key to succeeding in this game. In this PS3 version, there is a "move guide" option, where a directional arrow display is added to the bottom left corner of the screen. One of the arrows (or the sword icon) will light up when it is time for you to enter in a move. This makes the game much easier as some of the light flashes on the screen can be hard to find if you are not familiar with a level. You can literally play through the entire game with your eyes focused on nothing else but the move guide.

There are two main game modes, Original and Director's Cut. There are two main differences between the modes. The first difference is in acquiring treasures. As an example, the first treasure you come upon in the game is an arrow shortly after entering the castle in level 1. The arrow, which is located above Dirk's head, as well as Dirk's sword will both flash at the same time. In Original, you must press :up: to collect the arrow. After collecting the treasure, the scene will replay, where upon you must press :cross: to proceed. In Director's Cut, once you press :up: to collect the arrow, the scene will continue as if you had pressed :cross: instead.

The second major difference between the two modes is in level 7. The Director's Cut version plays differently and is much shorter than the Original. Other than those two differences, the modes are identical.

There are eleven treasures scattered throughout the first six levels. In order to progress to level 7, you must collect all eleven treasures or you will be sent back to the level(s) to collect the treasure(s) you missed. In this case, once you collect the final treasure and complete the level it was in, you will jump forward to level 7.

Road Map

Step 1: Watch the game

Simply select “Watch Game” from the main menu and the entire game will run from start to finish as if someone were playing a flawless game (minus the collecting of treasures). Completion of this mode will unlock Warped View.

Step 2: Play Original mode with three lives and no move guide.

In the settings menu, set "lives" to three and "move guide" to no. Save the game at the beginning of each level so that you can quit and reload if you lose a life. While on level 1, intentionally miss one of the treasures. This will cause the game to make you go back and repeat this level as you cannot progress into level 7 until you have collected all eleven treasures. While replaying through level 1, intentionally miss the treasure again and you will be awarded Double Negative upon completing the level. When it sends you back through the level for a third time, collect it and you will earn Novice Hunter. Also be sure to collect the butterfly treasure on level 5 on your first run through to earn Butterflied. Once you complete the game, you will earn Master Rescuer and Classic Dirk simultaneously.

Step 3: Play Director's Cut mode with three lives and no move guide.

Make sure "lives" is set to three and "move guide" is set to no in the settings menu. Play the game straight through. Be sure to collect all treasures on the way and save at the beginning of every level in case you make a mistake. Upon completing the game, you will earn Bonus Ending and Unseen Mordroc.

If this is your first time playing this game or you are having too much trouble, you may wish to do a playthrough first with infinite lives and the move guide set to on. This will give you an idea of the inputs for each level as well as the locations of all eleven treasures. It will add an extra play through, but it could save you a lot of time and frustration in the long run.

Walkthrough

Here is a complete walkthrough for each level. U = up, D = down, L = left, R = right and S = sword. A move with a () indicates a treasure location. For example, the move (U)S would mean that you would press Up to collect the treasure and then Sword when the scene replays to continue your progress. In Director's Cut, you will move on automatically after pressing Up to collect the treasure, so there will be no need to press Sword.

Note that levels 2 through 7 may end up being mirror image levels (it appears random for every playthrough), so if you are using this walkthrough, just reverse all of the Left and Right directional moves.

Level 1 - Treasures: Arrow, Bow, Key

L, L, L, S, S, D, R, S, (U)R, ®S, L, D, S, L, R, R, S, L, D, S, L, S, D, S, R, S, ®L, S, S, L, S, S, S, R, S

Level 2 - Treasure: Egg

D, R, R, L, ®S, S, S, S, S, L, S, S, R, L, S, R, S, S, R, S, S, R, S, S, S, L, R, L, S, S, S, L, S, S, R, S, S

Level 3 - Treasure: Ace of Spades

S, S, S, R, R, S, D, S, L, S, R, S, S, U, R, L, U, (U)S, R, L, S, R, L, R, S, L, R, R, L, S, D, L, R, D, S, S, D, L, R, S

Level 4 - Treasure: Golden Apple, Golden Apple (2)

L, R, R, L, U, R, U, L, L, R, L, R, R, R, ®S, S, S, S, U, S, S, L, S, S, (L)S, L, D, L, S, S, L, L, R, R, S, L, L, L, L, S, D, R, R, R, S

Level 5 - Treasures: Hammer, Butterfly

U, L, R, D, S, R, L, L, D, S, S, D, D, S, D, S, R, (D)S, U, U, L, L, L, S, L, L, S, D, U, D, S, R, R, L, (L)R, R, L, R, U, S, L, U, R, S, R, S, S

Level 6 - Treasures: Dagger, Hourglass

L, R, R, R, L, L, L, S, L, S, L, L, L, S, L, (U)L, S, S, S, L, S, S, D, R, D, L, S, R, L, S, S, R, (L)S, L, S, S, U, R, S, D, L, R, S, S, R, L, U, S, L, S

Level 7 (Original)

S, R, L, L, L, R, L, D, L, D, R, S, U, L, R, U, U, D, R, L, R, L, R, L, R, S, R, L, S

Level 7 (Director's Cut)

S, L, R, R, R, L, U, D, D, L, R, S

Level 8

S, S, S, S, R, L, S, S, R, S, S, U, D, R, R, R, S, S, R

Edited by Tuffinz
editorial sweep
  • Thanks 1

Trophies

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1050/02.jpgWarped View (B)(H)

Watch the entire game!

To unlock this trophy, simply select "Watch Game" from the main menu. You will then watch the entire game from start to finish. You will earn the trophy shortly after the credits begin to roll.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1050/02.jpgNovice Hunter (B)

Collect all three treasures in the first level

The three treasures are the arrow, the bow and the key. The arrow and bow appear almost immediately after entering the castle. The key is near the end of the level where you go to fetch water from the well. You will earn the trophy upon completing the level.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1050/02.jpgDouble Negative (B)(H)

See the "You Missed a Treasure Again!" screen

In order to reach level 7, you must acquire all eleven treasures. If you miss a treasure, you will get a message saying that you missed a treasure and the game will take you back to the level where the missing treasure is located. If you fail to acquire the treasure again, you will receive the screen upon completing the level. I suggest intentionally skipping one of the treasures in level 1 as the level is very short and will not take long to replay.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1050/04.jpgClassic Dirk (S)

Complete the game in Original mode

Select Original mode and complete the game. You may use any assist options as well as any number of lives. This trophy is stackable with Master Rescuer.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1050/04.jpgUnseen Mordroc (S)

Complete the game in Director's Cut mode

Select Director's Cut mode and complete the game. You may use any assist options as well as any number of lives. This trophy is stackable with Bonus Ending.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1050/04.jpgButterflied (S)

Collect the Butterfly Treasure on the first try

The butterfly treasure is located in level 5 (Beethoven's Creative Gust). It is located in the cat's mouth as it begins to breathe fire on you for the second time while you are riding the instruments. It can be hard to spot, so I suggest you save your game upon starting the level. You must collect this treasure on your first run through this level before reaching level 7. If you miss the treasure, quit the game and reload your save.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1050/07.jpgBonus Ending (G)

Complete the game in Director's Cut mode, in 3 lives, no move guide

Be sure that the "Lives" option in the settings menu is set to three and that the "Move Guide" option is off (the "Move Beeps" option is permitted). Although you only have three lives, saving your game is allowed. Be sure to save the game at the beginning of each level. If you die, simply quit and reload your saved game.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/1050/07.jpgMaster Rescuer (G)

Complete the game in Original mode, in 3 lives, no move guide

Same conditions as Bonus Ending, but playing in Original mode.

Edited by Tuffinz
editorial sweep

Thanks CrazyApes. When I saw the first Dragon's Lair in the store I was hoping sooo much that this one would eventually make it. Then I got teased with Space Ace. So I knew this one would be up eventually. I never played the other two, but I dumped more money than I care to remember on this one. I had the entire game memorized at one point. It was pretty cool to see people crowding around watching in awe as I made it to the later levels :cool:

No worries... Yeah I remember getting to Beethoven's Cat level in the arcade and the rush of adrenaline that I had trying to beat that (especially once you get airborne).

I had beaten Space Ace & Dragon's Lair 2 in the arcade but never Dragon's Lair. Although, I probably spent more money beating the arcade than it would have cost to buy the actual arcade games, it was still worth it. So glad they released these.

Have you played Brain Dead 13? It's the same as these, but it's really funny and I think it's a bit longer. You can find it on PS1 and 3D0, but I'm hoping they give that the PSN HD treatment. LOVE that game!

• 3 months later...

I'm having a huge problem with DL2. I've already finished the game with the move guide but am now trying it without and I cannot grab the hammer treasure on the beethoven level. In the guide it says to press down but every time i do that i die no matter when i press the button. I did it before in my move guide playthrough but I can't remember exactly what I did....is there any special timing to it because I have tried it over and over and simply do not seem to be able to get hold of it...it's driving me nuts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I'm having a huge problem with DL2. I've already finished the game with the move guide but am now trying it without and I cannot grab the hammer treasure on the beethoven level. In the guide it says to press down but every time i do that i die no matter when i press the button. I did it before in my move guide playthrough but I can't remember exactly what I did....is there any special timing to it because I have tried it over and over and simply do not seem to be able to get hold of it...it's driving me nuts.

We figured out the problem in PMs, but I figure I should also include it here in case someone else encounters the issue: If you have already collected a treasure, it will still flash in its usual spot during gameplay, but if you try to collect it again, it will be counted as an incorrect move.

And thanks Jimbo. It's only my 2nd guide, so I appreciate the comments :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Thanks for the guide. I would mention one small thing for the next person who uses this: the move guide is basically the only thing you need. If you turn on the "move beep" option (which defaults to on), you can just spam the next command until you hear the beep, and then continue down the chain. You literally need not look at the TV.

• 7 years later...