Dragon Fantasy: Book I - Trophy Guide and Road Map

cycoivan

Dragon Fantasy Book 1

Road Map & Trophy Guide

Road Map

Overview:

• Estimated 100% difficulty: 2/10
  • Offline trophies: 12 (1 (G) 4 (S) 7 (B))
  • Online trophies: 0
  • Approximate amount of time to 100%: 15 hours
  • Minimum number of playthroughs: 4 (1 of each chapter)
  • Number of missable trophies: 5 (Well Educated, With a Little Help..., Man of Shadows, Fund Raising, Gotta Catch a Few)
  • Glitched trophies: As far I am aware, if you play 100% on either the PS3 or Vita version, none of the trophies are glitched. It may be possible using cross save that (B)Well Educated will reset the counter for bookshelves to 0, forcing you to do all 30 again. Until a patch is released to fix the memory leak in the PS3 version, I recommend playing with the Vita version.
  • Do trophies stack: No
  • Does difficulty affect any trophies: No
  • Do cheat codes disable trophies: None
  • Additional accessories required: No

Introduction:

Dragon Fantasy is a homage/parody of the early Dragon Warrior/Final Fantasy games. It is divided into several chapters with a loosely intertwined story between the four. Developed by the Muteki Corporation, it was first available on Android and iOS platforms using an 8-bit engine. For the PS3 and Vita, the graphics have been bumped up to 16 bits.

Walkthrough:

Note: These steps do not have to be completed in any particular order, as they are presented chronologically in the story. However, completing Ogden's quest before Anders' will make unlocking the latter's trophies easier.

Step 1 (Complete Chapter 1 - Ogden's Story):

Time - about 5-8 hours

Ogden is a former dragon slayer turned semi-retired captain of the guard, whose best days are behind him.. His is probably the hardest of the four scenarios to complete because he has no other party members with him. However, with a judicious amount of recovery supplies and spell usage, you will be able to make it through with no problem.

Ogden's chapter has only one missable trophy, (B) Well Educated, so make sure that in every town you visit, that you inspect each bookshelf. If you do this, you'll unlock this trophy in the last city you visit. If you miss one, you can Warp back to all the cities that you have visited and search again. There are no bookshelves in dungeons to worry about.

Trophies earned:

(S) Ogden's Story

(B) High-tech Weaponry

(B) Well Educated

Step 2 (Complete Chapter 2 - Anders' Story):

Time - about 2 hours

Anders is the crown prince of Wester who turned down a chance at becoming King so he could live his life the way he wanted. However, what he wanted didn't include having to track down and save his little brother from the Dark Knight. As Anders can have up to three extra party members accompanying him, this is signifiicantly easier than Ogden's chapter. There is also less to do, so this chapter will fly by.

However, there are two missable trophies that will add some extra time to the chapter, as they have to be done in a certain order. First, (B) Man of Shadows requires you to visit the site where Ogden fought the cave troll (north of Lakehaven). After that, you can get (B)With a Little Help.... which requires you to visit Derwent (the first town Ogden visits) to recruit Serps from the inn there.

Trophies Earned:

(S) Anders' Story

(B) With a Little Help...

(B) Man of Shadows

Step 3 (Complete Chapter 3 - Jerald's Story):

Time - 3-5 hours

Jerald is a thief who finds himself in possession of the Voidstone that Anders' was trying to send to a safe location. He hopes to be able to sell it to get him and his niece Ramona out of the facist state of Sandheim and to a better life.

There is only one missable trophy here, (B) Fund Raising, which is to pickpocket 25 NPC's. However it's very easy to farm this in the first town you visit (Jobton)

Trophies Earned:

(G) The Fantastical Dragon!

(S) Jerald's Story

(B) Fund Raising

(B) Treasure Hunter

Step 4 (Complete Intermission M: A Minecraft Story):

After leaving with the Voidstone, the Woodsman, Ogden, Anders, and Ramona find themselves on an odd island. Build yourself an axe and get crafting, but keep an eye out for Creepers.

The only missable trophy here is (B)Gotta Catch a Few, however it's very easy to capture monsters - you just have to make sure to drop the first two off with Freya, so you can capture another two.

Trophies Earned:

(S) Intermission M

(B) Gotta Catch A Few

Edited by Dark_Phantom_89
Editorial Sweep

Trophy Guide

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/2014/D18.jpg The Fantastical Dragon! (G)

Complete the main storyline in chapters 1, 2, and 3.

Self explanatory, just finish the first three chapters.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/2014/41B.jpg Ogden's Story (S)

Complete Chapter 1: Dragon Fantasy

This chapter is the toughest of the bunch, so you might as well get it out of the way first.

Tips:

• Always have extra herbs, antidotes, ropes, wyvern powders, and (if you can afford it,) potato juice on hand. Travelling between cities can be a slog, and you don't want to lose half your gold by not having enough on hand to prevent yourself from dying.
  • Personally, I found upgrading armor first was preferable to upgrading weapons. There is a 20% miss rate on weapon attacks and it's better to be able to weather any blows.
  • Grind a bit before going anywhere new, as this game is supposed to be a homage to Dragon Quest/Final Fantasy. Monsters get tough rather quickly, so don't go and try to do a speed run.
  • Pay attention to who has the first turn, as it will stay that way for the whole battle. For enemies that take a turn before Ogden, keep an eye on your HP and heal earlier to compensate.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/2014/BBF.jpg Anders' Story (S)

Complete Chapter 2: The Heir Unapparent

This chapter is an easy intermission between Chapters 1 and 3.

Tips:

• There is really not too much to note here. Make sure you unequip Chest after beating the Rat King but before talking to the Queen. The extra iron gear comes in handy.
  • Hang on to all the potato juices you find, as for a spellcaster, Casty doesn't really get much for MP.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/2014/091.jpg Jerald's Story (S)

Complete Chapter 3: Operation Desert Plunder

This falls inbetween Chapters 1 and 3 in terms of difficulty. You have the benefit of multiple characters, but there's only a maximum of two.

Tips:

• To get gold quickly in the beginning, steal from Cranky Condors. You can get Wyvern Wings worth 50G when you sell them. Stealy Dans drop 50G when beaten too.
  • Save up to buy equipment in Bandit's cave. Their treasure isn't that great, but their shops are decent.
  • Utilize the 0MP skills that Jerald and Ramona get. Not only do Lightning Strike and Turbo Slap do double damage and multiple enemy damage respectively, they have 100% success rates.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/2014/9DC.jpg High-tech Weaponry (B)

Receive the Woodsman's Finest Pokin' Stick

Obtained in Ogden's chapter. Story related - the Woodsman will give you this before you leave his house at the beginning of the game.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/2014/B8D.jpg Well Educated (B)

Read 30 Different Books in Ogden's Story.

If you check every bookcase in every town, you will get this in Crescent Cove. The only books that count are those with text that is NOT "Ogden picked up a book and found it boring, so he put it back"

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/2014/31E.jpg With a Little Help... (B)

As Anders, Recruit Punchy, Casty, and Serps at the Same Time

Missable. After escaping the castle basement and talking to the Queen, you can recruit Punchy and Casty from the recruitment center (top left building in the city of Wester).

Serps can be recruited in the inn of Derwent (the town next to the Woodman's shack.) He's the character wearing the black shirt.

Must be done after (B) Man of Shadows if you want to do it on the same playthrough. If you miss it, you can try for this in a new playthrough in about 20-30 minutes. (credit to Loko4FourLoko for the info.)

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/2014/6DE.jpg Man of Shadows (B)

See How the Cave Troll Acquires the Rusty Helmet

Missable. This is obtained in Anders' chapter. Travel to the cave north of Lakehaven and find the room where Ogden fought the Cave Troll. You will see a scene play out and get the trophy.

This must be done before (B)With a Little Help... (credit to Loko4FourLoko for the info)

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/2014/D5D.jpg Fund Raising (B)

Have Jerald Pick-pocket 25 People

Missable. As Jerald, approach "mark" NPC's from behind (kids, women, and old people) and try to talk to them. If successful, a coin will pop out. You can farm this in Jobton in the beginning. There are five NPC's you can pickpocket. Pickpocket them all, enter a shop, exit and repeat.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/2014/403.jpg Treasure Hunter (B)

Find the Bandit Treasure Room in the Bandit Cave

Story related. This is received in Jerald's chapter. The bandit cave is west of Sandheim. The first floor consists of some decent shops, an expensive inn, and an outhouse you can save your game at. The cave entrance is south of the outhouse.

In the cave, if you are at a low level, you can ignore all the treasure chests as most of them are Bitey Boxes and will hit you hard for not a lot of reward. Also, there are no random encounters, so you can explore to your heart's content

On the second floor, make your way to the south east corner of the map and go down, then on the third floor, go north all the way, then west. Essentially, where you see two ladders separated by a space you can't cross, go up to the second floor and down the other ladder. You'll have to do this at two other places.

After the second time, follow the path and you'll see a ladder which leads down to a room filled with treasure boxes (filled with junk). The trophy will unlock here.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/2014/CA9.jpg Intermission M (S)

Complete Intermission M: A Minecraft Story

What if Dragon Quest and Minecraft had a baby? It would look something like this. This "chapter" is a pretty quick play, especially when you have a party of four.

Tips:

• Buy two sticks and three stones at the store right away and then craft an axe at the cabinet in the upper right corner. You can use that to cut a shortcut into the cave behind the store.
  • When you go through the shortcut, go all the way to the north and then west. All along the wall here are minerals. Work your way south and there's a room with a bed and a crafting table. You can make a diamond sword and all iron armor for Woodsy. It makes the chapter much easier.
  • Creepers make excellent captures, as they can hit hard with no equipment (credit to Anewlife2010)

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/2014/C41.jpg Gotta Catch a Few (B)

Have Woodsy Capture 4 Unique Monster Types

Missable. In battle, have Woodsy cast Capture. I personally have had a 100% success rate with this. Capture 2 different monsters, leave the cave and drop them off with Freya. Then go in and capture another two that you wish to keep. I beat the chapter with an Enderman and a Zombie Pig with no problem.

Reports are that it may be glitched, but in a good way. The trophy may pop when you get three captures. It's so far unconfirmed, but Ramona may count as a "capture."

Edited by Dark_Phantom_89
Editorial Sweep

Thanks. I'm a massive fan of Dragon Quest / Final Fantasy and when I saw the trailer last week on PSN I knew I had to get the game. I'm loving it so far. Definitely mark me down for Dragon Fantasy Book 2 :applause:

Also, as far as the guide goes, I plan on finishing up tonight (depending on how long it takes to finish Chapter 3). I already see a bunch of minor typos and formatting that needs to be fixed.

Edited by Vyrastas
Double post

Just a minor correction, you need 3 stones and 2 sticks for an axe in the Minecraft section. Thanks for the guide though, I never would have found Serps on my own.

EDIT: I had the same glitch with the Gotta Catch a Few trophy. I only caught 3 monsters when the trophy unlocked.

Just a minor correction, you need 3 stones and 2 sticks for an axe in the Minecraft section. Thanks for the guide though, I never would have found Serps on my own.

EDIT: I had the same glitch with the Gotta Catch a Few trophy. I only caught 3 monsters when the trophy unlocked.

I edited it slightly to incorporate the possible glitch and the right crafting recipe for the axe. BTW, I should be thanking you for writing such a kick ass guide to making and submitting trophy guides. It made my first time doing it a breeze. :applause:

Great Job! Thanks to you I was able to find serps and obtain the two missing trophies from chapter 2.

I would like to contribute one thing to this walkthrough. I found a tip (well more like a glitch) during Intermission M that when you capture a creature with a magic power (such as a creeper or ghost) they will be able to use that power freely even thought they don't have any MP. However, if you were to do a quick save or quite the game, those guys would no longer be able to preform those moves and it would state that they don't have enough MP. I know that you can beat this chapter in less than an hour but I took my time to explore around a bit and I ended up quiting twice.. and well this happend XD.

I would suggest that anybody playing the Intermission M chapter to just play through the whole thing without quick saving or quiting the game (or to not capture a creeper before doing so :whistle:).

My gold trophy for completing chapters 1-3 did not pop, it is the only trophy that did not chime in. What the F... Not getting Book II. NEVER touching this crap again. The game was unbelievably fun for a PSN title, but as I've already stated on the playstation blog (US) I had encountered an almost unbearable number of glitches and other issues. Not this it was this one thing to send me over the edge, it was just the straw that broke the camel's back. That's it.

I have saves at the very end of each playthrough and replaying them each on my Vita or PS3 (obviously) yields no positive results. Tried them both in 8-bit mode and regular 16-bit. Nothing doing. So pissed off.

@Moshuadeath

Man that sucks. I'm sorry to hear that. I had a similar problem with another game. I finally got that trophy but I had to do a second playthrough to get it. Not sure why it didn't pop up before.

Maybe if you do a second playthrough with all three chapters it will unlock for you? I know it's quite buggy but if you save every now and then (I usually step into a cave or town to autosave) I usually don't loose too much XP and gold when I'm grinding. And since you've done them all once it shouldn't take you too long to finish them again. I am doing a second playthrough right now. So far I've played about 3 hours and already more than half way through Ogden's chapter (just beat the volcano pirate cave).

My gold trophy for completing chapters 1-3 did not pop, it is the only trophy that did not chime in. What the F... Not getting Book II. NEVER touching this crap again. The game was unbelievably fun for a PSN title, but as I've already stated on the playstation blog (US) I had encountered an almost unbearable number of glitches and other issues. Not this it was this one thing to send me over the edge, it was just the straw that broke the camel's back. That's it.

I have saves at the very end of each playthrough and replaying them each on my Vita or PS3 (obviously) yields no positive results. Tried them both in 8-bit mode and regular 16-bit. Nothing doing. So pissed off.

Were you switching back and forth between the PS3 and the Vita? Perhaps the cross save is broken more than expected, maybe you have to go start to finish on all 3 playthroughs on one system...anyone else have this problem?

What if Dragon Quest and Minecraft had a baby? It would look something like this. This "chapter" is a pretty quick play, especially when you have a party of four.

Tips:

• Buy two sticks and three stones at the store right away and then craft an axe at the cabinet in the upper right corner. You can use that to cut a shortcut into the cave behind the store.
  • When you go through the shortcut, go all the way to the north and then west. All along the wall here are minerals. Work your way south and there's a room with a bed and a crafting table. You can make a diamond sword and all iron armor for Woodsy. It makes the chapter much easier.

Are you supposed to be able to forge ALL of these in that room in the cave? If so, I was one iron short from being able to do this. Did I miss one somewhere?

Edited by phoenragon

I'm pretty sure there is a piece or two directly behind and to the right of the building the store is in.

You can make all diamond type gear easily if your patient enough. Buy a herb and spice from town, create a turboherb, then sell it. Buying a herb and a spice item will cost you 60G (10 for the herb and 50 for the spice). To make a turboherb you only need one herb and one spice for the bench behind the sellers. Make them and sell them to the sellers for 125G each (that's a net profit of 65G for each turboherb you make this way)! If you make enough and sell them, you'll be able to buy diamond pieces (which are 2000G each) And the other components that are preaty cheap. I only made a set of diamond gear (that is the sword, helmet, armor, and sheild) for Woodsy but you can do it for all the creatures you capture (I think).

Edited by wubwub

• 3 months later...