easy menacing & silver-tongued trophies

CatNZ

just got them last night, and thought some people might appreciate a little help:

since these intimidation opportunities are early in the game, they're better done with a new character. Make sure you have 2 Coercion skills (i.e. have 14 points in cunning), and around 16str necessary for intimidation check.

Always save before you start a conversation, DO read the dialogue to see if you've succeeded, re-load in case you fail the check.

list of people to intimidate for Bully & Menacing trophies:

Lothering

1 - Farmer by the entrance, talk to him about Loghain, then intimidate him

2 - Merchant near the Chantry

3 - Doomsayer right outside the Chantry

4 - (speak to Sten in his cage first) Revered Mother, intimidate her to release Sten

Redcliffe Village

5 - Dwyn the dwarf, break in the house and intimidate him straight away.

6 - Dwyn the dwarf, intimidate him into assisting the battle.

7 - Owen the blacksmith, intimidate him to unlock his door.

8 - Lloyd the bartender, intimidate him into assisting the battle.

9 - (ask Bella about the elf first) Berwick the elf, question his presence in town, then intimidate him into assisting the battle.

10 - (speak to Ser Perth first) Revered Mother Hannah in the Chantry, intimidate her to provide blessing.

11 - (get quest from Kaitlin in the Chantry first) Bevin, hiding in the wardrobe in Kaitlin's house. Intimidate him to tell the secret.

12 - Bevin, intimidate him again for the key.

Lake Calenhad Docks

13 - Carroll, intimidate him to gain access to Circle Tower

speak to the Mages' Collective Liaison by the Tavern, and pick up "Careless Accusations" quest

Wooden Glen (a random-encounter scenario, on the way to Denerim)

This encounter will only happen if you have "Careless Accusations" quest

14 - Adventure Leader

To get Persuasive and Silver Tongue trophies:

- Travel to Orzammar (via Frostback Mountains)

- Find Zerlinda in the Dust Town district. She will give you "Zerlinda's Woe" quest.

- Go to Tapsters Tavern and find Ordel.

- Speak to Ordel, persuade him to take his daughter back, end the conversation. Ordel will disappear after the conversation. Leave Tapsters Tavern.

Keep re-entering Tapsters Tavern and persuade Ordel until you get the Persuasive and Silver Tongue trophies!

credits: Bully Achievement in Dragon Age: Origins and Easy Silver Tongued Trophy ! - Dragon Age: Origins - PlayStation.com Forums

Nice info, I'll have to try that glitch for the persuasion one, I just got that quest last night but haven't done it yet.

I'm assuming the persuasion and intimidation counts don't carry over into the next playthrough? I don't think I'll be able to get the 10 intimidation one in my current playthrough, I didn't succeed at some of those.

Yes I'm a warrior, but I didn't get the 5 intimidations trophy until after I had already gone through Lothering, Redcliffe and Lake Calenhad (all the locations listed above). There must be more than this for warriors, like you said, since I had a couple of Intimidation offers in Orzammar, which is where I got the trophy. I didn't boost the necessary skills early to make it easier, hopefully there are at least 4-5 more in the game so I can get 10.

I noticed a lot of intimidation opportunities also came with the choice to persuade... and since it takes 15 more successes for the silver tongue trophy than menacing, you may have missed out a quite few intimidations while working towards silver tongue...

those 4 trophies aren't that difficult, they will come naturally as you play through the game, picking up side quests, and talk until you exhaust all options... just need to pick up Coersion skills, as well as put points into strength(intimidation) and cunning(persuasion) as your character levels up

...and remember to read the dialogue, I have failed more often than I thought :p

I felt compelled to post the persuasion glitch. it's not a fun way to get silver tongue, but I understand that sometimes people really don't want to include Coersion in their character builds.

I noticed a lot of intimidation opportunities also came with the choice to persuade... and since it takes 15 more successes for the silver tongue trophy than menacing, you may have missed out a quite few intimidations while working towards silver tongue...

those 4 trophies aren't that difficult, they will come naturally as you play through the game, picking up side quests, and talk until you exhaust all options... just need to pick up Coersion skills, as well as put points into strength(intimidation) and cunning(persuasion) as your character levels up

...and remember to read the dialogue, I have failed more often than I thought :p

I felt compelled to post the persuasion glitch. it's not a fun way to get silver tongue, but I understand that sometimes people really don't want to include Coersion in their character builds.

Wow nice find, thanks! I'll try it later sometime today.

• 4 months later...
i think the intimidate one would work as well on ordel. if you select the "what kind of monster throws his child out on the street" and then "(intimidate) if you dont take them back thats murder" im not sure if it does work though because i cant test it.

I saw that option when talking to Ordel, but never tried grinding the intimidation trophies with him... it would be cool if you can test it out :) if that works then Ordel'll be able to take care of 4 trophies ;)

• 6 months later...

How does it work for mages?

I noticed in redcliffs that i can intimidate the kid in the closet for the key. Something that said You do realize I'm a mage and the kid goes okay i don't want my hair on fire.

So my question is does magic replace strength in the intimidation parts?

[edit]

I hereby confirm that both the intimidate AND pursuade can be done at Ordel. Just keep walking in and out and either pursuade him or as CatNZ said if you dont take them back thats murder. Don't know if the follow up line has any influence but i sticked with the first answer.

Hope it helped.

[edit]

I had expert Coercion

str 14

mag 32

cun 12

my guess is for the intimidate with a mage it's mag replaced str.

Edited by lendea

lol yeah got t he menacing not even 2hrs ago went from 1 of my orgin stories and went though the list didnt get it traveled to ordel did it 1 time and got it :D

now the long part of lvling my rouge and mage 2 20 rouge shouldnt be a prob lvl 17 at alienage mage lvl 16 at landsmeet fuked that game up a bit and now looking for exp :(

• 2 weeks later...
i can't find ordel in tapsters tavern can anyone help me ? The save i'm using is pretty far along , do i need to use an older one ?

Thanks

have you spoken to his daughter Zerlinda? if she's there then Ordel must be in Tapster's tavern... since Zerlinda's the quest giver.

my memory's really hazy on that, plus all dwarves look alike :p but think he was along the left hand side of the tavern.... if you're standing at the doorway looking into the tavern.