Blight-Queller

Cold Fusion

Ok,

I'm really confused by this trophy, and there more I read about it, the worse it gets. I've been using the trophy guide, and the link for more info, but I just don't get it.

Ok, so here's my question. By the end game, I have a kill count between 700 to 800 (heroic achievment), but I'm not even sure how many I have actually killed. Some people seem to say your main character needs to kill them for them to count, others say any kill counts.

How do you even get to 1000 kills?! They aren't stackable between games, and by reloading, don't I lose what I have done? Hard saving, doesn't that cause you to reload where you last stopped, after you killed everything? People seem to constantly say at the end of the game, but how can I get that to work?

Also, if I delete my patch (I started this game with the patches downloaded, as the game is pretty old, and when it started up, I just downloaded everything), reload my game before the final battle, finish the game, then reload my current game (with the patch downloaded), will they stack and pop?

I hate this trophy btw, really, really hate it.

First of all, I too dread this trophy. From what I've read you can indeed reload and replay a previous save to increase the counter, there must be an extra "profile save slot" which tracks your progress over different saves of the same character.

Regarding the patch, my interpretation of this is:

Playing without patch, no second counter is used, first counter is incremented over multiple playthroughs.

Playing with patch, only the second counter is used, need to track all kills on this to get Blight-Queller on the same character.

Most important is that only one counter counts for B-Q, regardless of patch or not. They never add up. The advice to delete the patch is for those who applied the patch mid-game (when it was released), so that they can continue with the totals tracked in the first counter. For those who started the game with the patch installed it is better to stick with it, otherwise you would switch to the first counter, which of course is at zero kills. All your previous accomplishments would be unavailable then, and I don't think you or me would have the nerve to do another complete playthrough...

First of all, I too dread this trophy. From what I've read you can indeed reload and replay a previous save to increase the counter, there must be an extra "profile save slot" which tracks your progress over different saves of the same character.

Late response but you're correct about the separate save file. BioWare have done it for years and it can be very helpful.

Shame they turned to slags and sold out. DA:O has to be one of the (if not the) greatest RPG's to ever have been released.

I wanna play it again but I stand by my own personal BioSkankyWhore ban.

I have this platinum, and I too was dreaded about this trophy. It has been a while since I got it, I can't remember exactly the details.

I read a lot about it and found the following:

You can go to a place with lots of monsters (at the end of the game, in the elf village in the main city), you kill them all with YOUR character (if I recall well enough), then you load the game and kill them all again. Rinse and repeat. It does sounds weird, but it is the way it works. It seems like the character kills is updated online, and when you reload the monsters are back but the kill count does not decrease. Weird, I'm not sure why this works, but it does.

When you install a DLC your kill count will go back to zero, that is why you should not install a DLC if you're looking for this trophy.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Starting to worry about this trophy myself now.

I bought the Ultimate Edition, so all patches are ready to go. Whatever. All is cool.

I got the first darkspawn killed related trophy easy enough. However, I've killed 565 at the moment (going by the loading screen that sometimes details these stats), and I haven't received the trophy for killing 500. So obviously, this is leading on to believe the 1,000 kill trophy won't pop when I actually get there.

Before anyone asks, I've got each of my party members tactics turned off when I know I'm facing darkspawn (I 100% the game on the 360, and did multiple playthroughs of the base game, so memory is good when anticipating them), in preparation of said trophies.

Bit of a shame. :think: :(

Edited by InjusticeReborn

• 2 weeks later...
However, I've killed 565 at the moment (going by the loading screen that sometimes details these stats), and I haven't received the trophy for killing 500. So obviously, this is leading on to believe the 1,000 kill trophy won't pop when I actually get there.

Anyone playing Dragon Age v1.04 or the Ultimate edition should ignore the stats screen for darkspawn kills as it does not accurately represent YOUR kill count. Those game versions use a separate and invisible counter to count how many darkspawn you have killed. The stats screen uses an outdated kill counter from the original game that's no longer used as a means of tracking your darkspawn kills (unless playing unpatched on the retail version). But even then I think the stats screen only tells you how many your team have killed anyway *shrug* (it's been awhile since I played it).

How do you know when you've killed enough darkspawn? Only when the trophy pops...

Though the best part of the invisible counter is that it saves your kills to a separate file independent of the main game save so you don't need to save after X amount of kills, and you can reload a set save to grind out a particular area.

The bad news is the separate save file is tied to your particular playthrough so it won't count across multiple playthroughs (each one has its own counter).

Edited by Malak101

But even then I think the stats screen only tells you how many your team have killed anyway *shrug* (it's been awhile since I played it).

How do you know when you've killed enough darkspawn? Only when the trophy pops...

But like I said, I've had my party's tactics turned off, so whenever I enter combat, they hold back and do nothing. I will admit they have killed a few here and there (like when I had them active during the battle against the Broodmother (or mare?) in the Deep Roads), but not enough to total over 100 to not have my 500 kill count trophy ping.

However, I do think I have figured it out - I am 99% sure it is because I started a new character part way through my main. I am under the assumption that the 'invisible counter' that everyone mentions resets the count.

I had my one game. I played the main quest up until the completion of Urn of the Sacred Ashes (and I did Return to Ostagar and Warden's Keep DLC's). At this point I had obviously pinged the kill 100 darkspawn trophy, and it was at this point I started a new game, because I forgot to keep a save to get the second outcome for the Urn of the Sacred Ashes quest - so I used that second save to do so.

I can't be exact, as I obviously didn't think I'd run into a problem so I didn't take note, but with that first save, I think I must have easily had darkspawn kills in the 200's.

So after getting that second save's use out of the way, I returned to my original. I then proceeded to do the rest of the main quests in Orzammar and Brecillian Forest, as well as the Stone Prisoner DLC. Like I said in my previous reply, I had a total of 565 somewhere amongst that. Can't remember where. But what I do know is that at the Alienage in Denerim during the end game section, I've got a total of around 750 - killing the 62 darkspawn enemies in the Alienage had my darkspawn total at 815. No '500' trophy had pinged.

I thought to give that method a go some more, so I reloaded once or twice (I kept dying by that darkspawn General XD), and the '500' trophy finally pinged, part way through killing that horde.

I obviously kept at this method (finished it around 1am this morning) to get the Blight Queller trophy. Again, my total is 815 in the stats section.

I can't be bothered to test this on another account and go through the game again just to see if my guess is right (especially as Destiny is almost here), but that is the only thing I can think of that may have had an impact.

I am under the impression, should you install all DLC and patches before starting your first ever game, and you do not create any other save file, the kill count for darkspawn and the trophies linked to them would properly align.

Anyway, so yeah, I got the 500 and 1,000 trophies finally late last night/early this morning, reloading at the Alienage in Denerim during the end game section.

Edited by InjusticeReborn