For those interested in the romances

widget624

Romances in Dragon Age Inquisition - Story, Campaign & Characters - The BioWare Forum

SPOILER WARNING! This post reveals all of the possible romance options that players will have in the game. If you want to keep the mystery alive until November, be forewarned. If you’re ready to find out now, keep reading!

Let’s take a moment to talk about romance in Dragon Age: Inquisition, shall we?

It’s quite valid to ask, “Why reveal which characters can be romanced at all? Isn’t it better to leave the mystery and let players discover the romances as they play?” While some players understandably prefer to start games completely unspoiled, the truth is that DA:I is huge. The story takes a great deal of time to unfold, as do the relationships players develop with followers. As a result, you could play the game for a significant length of time before discovering that a follower isn’t interested.

Again, many prefer that kind of discovery. Many players also have no interest in romancing anyone, and we’ve designed each follower to have a rewarding story arc for players who choose to engage with them, romantically or not. We’ve come to realize, however, that for many players, romances are an incredibly important feature—one in which we’ve invested a great deal of development time—and they prefer a heads-up to having their hearts set on a particular character, only to end up disappointed.

To preface this information, a few words on our design goals for romances: First, we want to offer choice to our players. This doesn’t mean that all choices are available to everyone—it means that no matter what type of character you choose to play, more than one possible romance option will be available. This doesn’t guarantee that a player will find a particular character to be personally appealing—which could be the case even if every character in the game could be romanced by anyone—but it ideally lets each player know they’re not an afterthought in our development process.

Second, we want our characters to be internally consistent. Every major DA:I character has a story arc, personal goals, and thoughts on how your journey together has evolved; sometimes a romance arc doesn’t make sense for them, sometimes it does. Either way, we aren’t trying to justify why a character can’t be romanced—we’re looking at how a romance with that character would make sense according to the rest of their story, and why that romance will strengthen an interesting story arc.

Finally, a character being eligible for a romance doesn’t necessarily guarantee that they will be successfully won over. These characters have their own agendas and opinions, and the choices a player makes during the game have a definite impact on their affections. That’s intentional.

With that in mind, we now reveal who can be romanced by whom. If you’re not interested in having that kind of foreknowledge before going into Inquisition, consider this fair warning and proceed no further.

Still here? Okay, then.

Here are our “core” romance options. They are available to players of any race, and fulfill our first design goal of providing multiple options to everyone:

Cassandra is interested in male characters.

Blackwall is interested in female characters.

Josephine is interested in both male and female characters

Iron Bull is interested in both male and female characters

Sera is interested in female characters.

Dorian is interested in male characters.

Two “additional” romance options were added to the game as a result of the extra development time DA:I received. They are more limited in scope, largely for reasons directly related to their story arcs, but are otherwise the equal of the other options:

Cullen is interested in female elves and female humans.

Solas is interested in female elves only.

This means that of our core cast, Varric, Vivienne, Cole, and Leliana are not romance options. While we know this may disappoint some fans who were interested in them, we don’t believe that they lose out, as each character engages in their own meaningful story.

We can’t wait for November, when you can finally meet these characters, help them tell their stories, and explore this enormous game with us.

Mike..

Wow I am so disappointed with them making Vivienne, Cole, and Leliana non-romantic options as they were the ones I am looking forward the most as characters. The rest of them don't seem quite as appealing to me but I guess I can hope I am wrong, at least.

I don't play for romance but... I am still slightly disappointed. At least they are promising us they will be still developed.

Wow I am so disappointed with them making Vivienne, Cole, and Leliana non-romantic options as they were the ones I am looking forward the most as characters. The rest of them don't seem quite as appealing to me but I guess I can hope I am wrong, at least.

I don't play for romance but... I am still slightly disappointed. At least they are promising us they will be still developed.

Yea, me too. Wanted Leliana romanceable again. I know a lot will be disappointed Varric won't be. Oh, well. As long as they're not just cardboard cutouts...

I'm slightly disappointed that there are only two options if your character's a straight male, but oh well.

You probably don't know Cole's story, I'm guessing? He definitely should not be romancable.

Edited by mattigummi

Well, if romance is a high priority for you, then you shouldn't play this game.

Uh, what? No, romance is not a high priority for me, and even if it was, I should not play a game that I've been looking forward to play for a couple of years because of that? What I meant with my comment , is that it makes perfect sense for Cole not to romancable, as sleipnirx stated he was so disappointed with that fact.

Edit: If you were talking about the first part of my post, then I'll admit I didn't word it well enough and I've edited it to be more clear.

Edited by mattigummi

Yea, me too. Wanted Leliana romanceable again. I know a lot will be disappointed Varric won't be. Oh, well. As long as they're not just cardboard cutouts...

Yeah, I have seen some people who are big fan of Varric and were hoping he would be a romantic option in the game.

You probably don't know Cole's story, I'm guessing? He definitely should not be romancable.

Yep, I didn't at this point. I discussed the post with a friend of mine after I posted and she told me Cole isn't an option because it just wouldn't work out? To be honest, it makes me even more curious and while I am still slighty disappointed, I am sure Bioware will pull it off nicely.

The disappointment is mostly due to how I have no interest in the romantic options aside from Cassandra who only is interested in males, bummer, but on the other hand... DA characters are mostly interesting so I will probably grow fond of more of them. I just enjoy seeing the romantic development between characters in DA because it develops them so much more as characters in these games.

Uh, what? No, romance is not a high priority for me, and even if it was, I should not play a game that I've been looking forward to play for a couple of years because of that? What I meant with my comment , is that it makes perfect sense for Cole not to romancable, as sleipnirx stated he was so disappointed with that fact.

Edit: If you were talking about the first part of my post, then I'll admit I didn't word it well enough and I've edited it to be more clear.

Wasn't directed towards you. I meant "you" in a general sense.

Regardless, there will be romance trophies! Still bummed Varric isn't an option. They could've done it for female dwarves if nothing else.

Edited by ShadowStar83x

Thanks for posting this, I'm staying away from the BSN forums for fear of spoilers, so I would have missed this!

I'm lucky because the two characters that interest me the most - Cullen and Blackwall - are romanceable by straight female characters, but I have to say that many of the other romances intrigue me a lot too so maybe I'll try playing a male character or a s/s romance for once. :)

I'm slightly disappointed that there are only two options if your character's a straight male, but oh well.

I understand why people playing straight males could be disappointed but DA:O and DA2 had "only" two straight male romance options too, so it's not that DA:I has "less" options. It's just that straight female (elves, lol) have more romance options this time around, which actually is a pleasant surprise IMHO. They said they added Cullen and Solas after they were given more time in 2013 so they were not part of the original "plan".

Re Varric: I think they said there was a reason why Varric and Vivienne aren't romanceable, didn't fit into their character arc or something and at least for Vivienne you will find out why she isn't romanceable, or something like that.

I'm really looking forward to meeting Cole, btw. I read the book where he is introduced so I know about his backstory. I wonder if they will tell something "new" about him or mostly retell his story again for people who haven't read the book.