Story Discussion Thread *Spoilers*

ShadowAFC

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/members/fiftyquid-albums-image-storage-picture12706-attention-sign-orig.png WARNING! http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/members/fiftyquid-albums-image-storage-picture12706-attention-sign-orig.png

SPOILER TAGS ARE NOT USED IN THIS THREAD!

You have entered a spoiler tag free zone about the game Dragon Age II. This thread has been created to discuss anything Dragon Age related. You are permitted to discuss key plot points, boss battles and any part of the story openly without the use of SPOILER TAGS. Please note, this is not a "How do I..." thread. Any posts like this will be deleted.

In summary, this is a SPOILER TAG free zone. You do not have to use SPOILER TAGS within this thread. This thread is immune. Failure to use spoiler tags outside of this thread may result in a three day ban.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In ACT 1 there is a place you can go to change your appearance (same as when you create your character at the start). It is a mirror you stand in front of and access the menu. Sorry I forget the place I went to get this mirror.

Is this something new to DA, as I have not completed DA:O yet either.

Also will this be available through out the game or just in Act 1?

I do have the official guide however I want to avoid it as much as possible and only refer to it when I get lost. Yes I get lost a lot, running around in buildings for days and can't find the door hehe. I really hate the way the map in DA works, I like the way FFXIII did the map , which auto rotates to your direction of travel. And I still don't understand why they talk north south etc, as there is no compass in the HUD.

I absolutely love how things go from bad to worse. I felt bad because you lose all your immediate family members. Yet once Act 2 starts the finale with the Qunari revolt I really started enjoying the story. Having a massive showdown between the Templars and Mages was awesome and I had a hard time deciding what to do with Anders. I was trying to have my character romance him and then he goes and nukes the Chantry. Bioware, you've really outdone yourself and I love you for it... the last part of the game was difficult without a designated healer.

The game is good and the story is even better, but there is just one beef I've got with it - the mages. I played a mage and my favorite little sister (may she rest in peace) was a mage so of course I went out of my way to help them and protect them from the templar abuse. And what do I get in return? A bloody rebellion and an act of terrorism! Orsino – what an idiot! After all I’ve done for him and the mages he just goes ahead and ruins it all by turning to blood magic and making himself a harvester! What a hell? Why would he even do that?! Why? Just WHY???!! To kill some puny templars that my Hawke was slaughtering by dozens without even stopping to catch his breath? All he managed to achieve is to get himself killed and to make Hawke look like a total doofus for standing up to the bloodthirsty sect! I LIKED YOU ORSINO! And you betrayed me! And ruined any chance for people to start accepting mages as persons, not some walking time bombs, that just wait to blow up in our faces. So go fuck yourself you moron!

Then there’s Anders. Oh boy, where do I even start? You know what? - I won’t bitch about him, because he’s a got a heavy case of character derailment and thus discussing him is moot. That’s not Anders. The writers just needed some hook to introduce Grey Wardens to the story so they decided to bring back a “fan favorite” from the Awakening. Along the way they managed to butcher his character and show that they really don’t give a rat’s ass about “choices” and “consequences” in their games. Anders is dead in half of people’s playthroughs! Yet, here he is, alive and kicking. No trace of having arrows through his neck, no memories of being dead and seeing the light. And the saddest part is that the writers could have avoided all this bullshit by just giving him another name! Should they had made him another grey warden mage by the name of Tom, Dick or Harry, I wouldn’t even have a problem with him. In fact, that would have been one of the best characters in the game! Yet, we have what we have. WHY?!!!! Why do you do this Gaider? Why do you hate your own world and characters so much?!

Looks like I ended up bitching about Anders anyway, eh? Sorry about that =)

Edited by purifico
wall of text!

So... I just completed the game and... while I loved the ride... I'm very much pissed. Maybe I did something wrong, but where the hell is my closure with Morrigan from the previous game? I'm beyond mad that they didn't even touch the events after Witch Hunt :mad:

Other than that, I'd have to say the final battle with Meredith was pretty sweet. When she activated the statues I was like, "Oh shit! A transformers!" (a cookie if you get the reference)

One thing I did notice that wasn't explained, however, was Zevran showed up in the final battle out of nowhere.

I dont know yet if what happened to me was supposed to happen:

When i returned from the Deep Roads, my sister was taken to the Circle of Magi and i lost her from the party.

Also my mother was killed, decapitated, her head was sewn into another woman's body, and revived with necromancy. What the hell, this game keeps me on the edge.

I dont know if i had Bethany on the Deep Roads with me, maybe i could prevent the templars from taking her, same on the 2nd situation, i could tell mother a big NO when she asked if i mind her getting married again. Sigh.

I dont know yet if what happened to me was supposed to happen:

When i returned from the Deep Roads, my sister was taken to the Circle of Magi and i lost her from the party.

Also my mother was killed, decapitated, her head was sewn into another woman's body, and revived with necromancy. What the hell, this game keeps me on the edge.

I dont know if i had Bethany on the Deep Roads with me, maybe i could prevent the templars from taking her, same on the 2nd situation, i could tell mother a big NO when she asked if i mind her getting married again. Sigh.

Ok, here's the thing. You can not keep your family intact no matter what you do.

1. One of your siblings dies during escape from Lothering. Squashed by an ogre.

2. Your second sibling is lost at the end of first act. He/she either dies on the Deep Roads from blight (if Anders is not in party), joins the Grey Wardens

(if Anders is in party), or joins the Templar Order/Circle of Magi. In any case he/she is lost to you till the very end of Act 3 when s/he rejoins Hawke (if survived the Deep Road expedition) to fight the final battle.

3. Your mom is always murdered at the end of Act 2. No saving her. Unfortunately.

The only family member that you have left is your uncle. Oh, and a cousin if you do a side quest, but she is never seen again after it, though she sends you a very cool letter that demonstrates what kind of rumors Varric spreads about Hawke =))

If you talk to Morrigan, she will tell you that it is very unlikely that you had actually killed Flemeth - you just destroyed her current form, her spirit however is free to roam and to posses other bodies. Besides, you encounter Flemeth around the time Warden is still in his first mission, so there is no way he had killed her by the time Lothering is destroyed

So I lost my sister at the start of Act 2, I really hate :( it, she was my fav character, and see was 100% friend (loyal).

I know she comes back for a cameo later, but why do they do this.

This is why I played all the quests in Act 1 before starting the final quest. At least I still have my Bi-sexual partner Isabella :p

Must be a reason, guessing the main game developer at Bioware lost a sibling so they want to included in a game. :think:

can someone tell me why flemeth still alive? i thought u could kill her in dao? (saw youtube vid of flemeth changing in a dragon in dao1)

Remember the journey to the peak of Sundermount? With the amulet and the ritual? Even if you did happen to kill her in DA:O (unlikely), she still had a contingency plan. Which is probably why Morrigan fled through the Eluvian. She knew Flemeth would come back eventually because she did what so many people do with Flemeth: she underestimated her.

Question about Sten from DA:O

I noticed that some of the mobs are named Sten.

So was Sten his name or rank/position? Did I miss a codex somewhere that explains this?

Sten is a title in the Beresaad. Other titles are Saarebas, Tamassran, Arishok, etc. These aren't Names. Just positions, roles, societal standing... They have names, but they go by their ranking in society. Its a part of their culture. Sten mentions this in the first game. Zevran and him talk about it not really being his name in one of those Companion banter moments.

Sten is a title in the Beresaad. Other titles are Saarebas, Tamassran, Arishok, etc. These aren't Names. Just positions, roles, societal standing... They have names, but they go by their ranking in society. Its a part of their culture. Sten mentions this in the first game. Zevran and him talk about it not really being his name in one of those Companion banter moments.

That's where I missed it. I don't think I ever had them in the party at the same time.

Ok, here's the thing. You can not keep your family intact no matter what you do.

1. One of your siblings dies during escape from Lothering. Squashed by an ogre.

2. Your second sibling is lost at the end of first act. He/she either dies on the Deep Roads from blight (if Anders is not in party), joins the Grey Wardens

(if Anders is in party), or joins the Templar Order/Circle of Magi. In any case he/she is lost to you till the very end of Act 3 when s/he rejoins Hawke (if survived the Deep Road expedition) to fight the final battle.

3. Your mom is always murdered at the end of Act 2. No saving her. Unfortunately.

The only family member that you have left is your uncle. Oh, and a cousin if you do a side quest, but she is never seen again after it, though she sends you a very cool letter that demonstrates what kind of rumors Varric spreads about Hawke =))

I just completed this "All the remains" and earlier I did the "Prime Suspect"

Not knowing that the person there Gascard was important later on.

Thank you for this explanation of why Mother dies. As I could not find it easily elsewhere including the official guide. (there may be details buried in the book, don't really want to refer to until I complete my first play. I only use it when I get stuck :eek: )

Bah, the lot of you. To talk of Flemeth.

I think she has an investment in Sandal. He speaks of a woman with a mean laugh, and his gift for "not enchantment" would be something that would catch her eye. But they definitely made a point of that conversation about the woman that only Sandal interacts with, and Sandal has had a place in the series that seems as permanent as Flemeth's.

I also think she may be the Dread Wolf of elven lore, given her penchant for dealing with the Dalish and the list of things Morrigan insists she isn't. I have less to go on for that than the Sandal thing, though.

can someone tell me why flemeth still alive? i thought u could kill her in dao? (saw youtube vid of flemeth changing in a dragon in dao1)

Flemeth's essence was stored in the amulet she gave to Hawke in the prologue. The Dalish wanted to repay her for a favor by resurrecting her...Although, I'm not sure if this new Flemeth is conscious of what happened during Origins. She even said in the dialogue herself that she assumed that Morrigan would do something against her (Of course, that meant killing her. ;) ).

Flemeth's essence was stored in the amulet she gave to Hawke in the prologue. The Dalish wanted to repay her for a favor by resurrecting her...Although, I'm not sure if this new Flemeth is conscious of what happened during Origins. She even said in the dialogue herself that she assumed that Morrigan would do something against her (Of course, that meant killing her. ;) ).

That is not what the amulet was about, it was so she could easily travel there without being seen by others because of two things, Flemeth will always live on even if her body dies from what it looks like so far and even magic can not send a person to another location. (not counting the now destroyed mirrors.)

One thing I wasn't sure about was they said that you could sleep with Zeveran in the game, but I didn't get the option for a funny and cute reason, when he offered to 'get to know each other better', Anders who my Male Hawke was dating at the time quickly responded with a "it's very easy to see what you are like" obviously pointing out the fact Zeveran is a huge whore and that Anders was jealous.

Though wow what a ending, rising up with the mages to stop the injustice of the circle and the tower, but what makes me wonder even more is why can't they find the hero of Ferelden as well, with mine I could only guess hiding from crows or not wanting to get into a holly war.

But it looks like the next part of the game or Dragon Age 3 will most likely be another holly war if someone can't stop it. I hope there will be new content sometime soon.

In ACT 1 there is a place you can go to change your appearance (same as when you create your character at the start). It is a mirror you stand in front of and access the menu. Sorry I forget the place I went to get this mirror.

I do have the official guide however I want to avoid it as much as possible and only refer to it when I get lost. Yes I get lost a lot, running around in buildings for days and can't find the door hehe. I really hate the way the map in DA works, I like the way FFXIII did the map , which auto rotates to your direction of travel. And I still don't understand why they talk north south etc, as there is no compass in the HUD.

The mirror is in the Black Emporium.

Mirror is something new to DA.

Mirror is available throughout the game.

North is always up on the map.

That is not what the amulet was about, it was so she could easily travel there without being seen by others because of two things, Flemeth will always live on even if her body dies from what it looks like so far and even magic can not send a person to another location. (not counting the now destroyed mirrors.)

What do the eluvians have to do with Flemeth being resurrected? :think:

Also, you have to listen closely to the dialogue between Hawke and Flemeth after you perform the ritual on Sundermount. She clearly makes no reference of a desire to travel or be smuggled to other regions. She could have easily turned into a dragon and escaped to the Free Marches to outrun the Warden and Morrigan - but she didn't. I'm certain that she let herself get killed to convince Morrigan that she shouldn't have to pursue her afterwards.

I'm certain the reason why Morrigan pursued the eluvians was to take the fight to Flemeth, probably some sort of climactic battle that'll take place either in the DLC or DA III.

What do the eluvians have to do with Flemeth being resurrected? :think:

Also, you have to listen closely to the dialogue between Hawke and Flemeth after you perform the ritual on Sundermount. She clearly makes no reference of a desire to travel or be smuggled to other regions. She could have easily turned into a dragon and escaped to the Free Marches to outrun the Warden and Morrigan - but she didn't. I'm certain that she let herself get killed to convince Morrigan that she shouldn't have to pursue her afterwards.

I'm certain the reason why Morrigan pursued the eluvians was to take the fight to Flemeth, probably some sort of climactic battle that'll take place either in the DLC or DA III.

She didn't get ressurected, again magic can not bring people back to life, not human or elven magics, that and travling as a dragon tends to get alot of unwatnted attention and attacks and then add in the fact flemeth always plays her cards close to the hand. Then add in the fact she did not really die, she only lost a body and she did not know that her daughter would do that, she knew morrgan would betray her just not how.

Then your final mistake, no the eluvian is a mean to a end, she used it to go to another dimention, she left this world to train her son and she won't be going anywhere close to flemeth for quite sometime.

But big three things your really over looking.

1) Flemeth does not die when her body dies, she simply takes a new body.

2) Flemeth is not afraid of her daughter and does not know if she is a enemy or not, and thinks Morgain thinks the same way about her.

3) Flemeth tends to talk in riddles and not tell people the full truth, not to the Hero and not to Hawke.

One thing I thought that was done really well if you are pro mages and dating Anders at the same time it feels like thats how the main story was meant to go and has the feeling of a romantic epic. Also when your male and taking that path it has the whole double meaning behind protecting people who are being persecuted just for how they where born.

Oh. My. God. I've noticed one thing during my second playthrough that blew my mind.

During the quest where you have to save your mother from a blood mage serial killer, you come across some letters in his lair signed "O." First I didn't pay any attention to that. But then during the final events of the game First Enchanter Orsino says something of Quentin was right all along. Quentin is the blood mage maniac! And the "O." from the letter most likely stands for Orsino himself! Which means that the First Enchanter knew what Quentin was up to and encouraged him! Which also means that Orsino is responsible for Hawke's mom's death! That sonofabitch!

Why, oh why did the sexiest male in the game turned out to be a raving lunatic?! Curse you, Gaider! *shakes fist*

I think I figured it out finally.

Every time I go speak with the Qunari leader (I think that is the guy with horns and sits on a throne) and I have Isabella with me and she always wants to leave.

She is either afraid of him

or the best guess

She goes back to work at her home location :p

Wait, what?

Edited by purifico