I like this better than DA:O and I'm not a-scared to admit it

professorstotch

Anyone else with me on this? Between the 360 and PS3 versions, I've played through DA:O probably 9-10 times. I'm currently playing it now in attempt to platinum...and I literally can't stand it at this point. I only played DA2 a couple times through on 360, but I had a lot more fun with it. I know I'm probably the only one, but I'd go so far as to say I like it a heck of a lot more than DA:O.

Weird. I actually did like the second game of the series, but the environment was all recicled, the story was poor and everything.... Origins had great landscapes, the story was just epic and all... Well, some things I prefer on DA II, such as the magics and habilities, they are more developed; Still, I prefer the Origins. Could you tell us your motives for such a statement?

People always say the combat system is so much better in DA II but I don't get how they are so drastically different from each other.I just don't see it.

The only improvement for me is that the protagonist can now actually speak.I thought DA O had better characters and a much more epic story.to each their own though.

• 2 weeks later...

Makes me wonder if the fact that the OP played DA:O 9-10 times may have contributed to the fact that he dislikes the first one so much :think: LOL. I mean, I really enjoyed it the first time, the second time was fun, but by the time I got to my third playthru for platinum and even into the Awakening expansion, I just wanted it to end. Even the other dlc got on my nerves. DA:2 isn't horrible, the animation is awesome at times. Although, I'm not a fan of the recycled enviroments. Granted, I'm only finishing up Act 2, so I haven't played thru the whole story, but revisiting the same areas over and over grows tiresome. I know DA:O had a similar issue, but maybe it just didn't stand out as much as it does in the sequel.

• 1 month later...

DA2 gets a bad rap. Most comments and reviews I've seen have been disappointed with the game in comparison to origins. Personally I enjoyed it as much, if not more and that has to do with its engaging story and fast paced combat. The only negative for me was the recycled dungeons and I suppose the slightly oversimplified character upgrade system. But honestly it was a lot more fun to play and I can't wait to see what happens with DA3.

• 1 month later...

They both have their merits. DA:O had much better (non-recycled) environments, the storyline felt epic in comparison and, imho, the end was a lot more satisfying. But then I personally think DA:II had far better characters and a much more compelling protagonist and yeah, the battle system is so much more fluid and dynamic.

So I guess it depends what you prefer. I still think they're two of the best, most replayable RPGs on the PS3.

Hell, maybe we'll get really lucky and DA:III will combine the best of both...

Maybe.

Yeah, I really enjoyed the themes explored in DA2...and (nerd alert...haha) if you wanted to go further into the whole Mage-Templar thing, read Dragon Age: Asunder. It's probably the most entertaining novel based on a video game series I've ever read.

I must say, I didn't enjoy the story in DA:O (found it a bit too run-of-the-mill), but enjoyed mostly everything else about it. For DA3, I hope they continue the moral themes, and for battles make it like DA:0, but incorporate the instant execution of actions during battles that occurred in DA2. I can't even count how many times in DA:O that my characters circled enemies trying to hit them...aaahhh!