Is it worth going back to origins?

XxFearReaper

OK well I just recently bought Dragon Age II and well it's a great game but i heard that the first one is better so I just wanna know is the game worth getting Or will it turn me off of the series? I heard that the first one's system is a lot different but how is it different? I was looking at gameplay videos and the gameplay looks the same too me so I'm just wondering if it's worth it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Origins is more epic than DA2 in story & gameplay wise it had a little deeper customization in the skills & talents/spells & also companion equipments, from my experience DA2 improves some aspects like the graphics (specially for the different races) & the mage class (with its animation & armor design which in Origins they were pretty lame).

I kinda didn't like the hack & slash aspect of DA2's combat but good thing they provided the option to changed to the auto attack of the 1st game, in my opinion you should try Origins its a really great game.

• 1 month later...

I'm interested in this game. I might get it, but I have an important question...

IF! I get DA2, will I miss out on the story? Or do you recommend me getting the origins first? I see you're all saying DA:O is better, so I guess that might be enough. But please answer if we need the story from the previous game to understand the second one.

I'm interested in this game. I might get it, but I have an important question...

IF! I get DA2, will I miss out on the story? Or do you recommend me getting the origins first? I see you're all saying DA:O is better, so I guess that might be enough. But please answer if we need the story from the previous game to understand the second one.

No I don't think you'll miss out. The games have separate stories and are set in different countries. Like I said above I played DA2 first and I understood the story. Playing DAO first you'll know a lot more though of course. If you want to play 2 first then I'd say go ahead :)

• 2 weeks later...

I only played 9 hours of DA:O and then moved to other games,

Then when DA2 came out I played it until Platinum and even after that.

The only thing that DA:O helps in is some of the trophies, at least in the intial release, or maybe just one trophy I forget.

DA2 allowed me to import the incomplete save from DA:O and it helped me get the trophy. I forget which trophy it was.

As far as story you really don't need DA:O, it helps a bit to have some knowledge of it and it makes for a more enjoyable DA2 when you hear some of the dialog

[spoiler=lki]

The Oblivion Gates are one main part in DA:O, and it was cool to know of them when they talk about them in DA2.

Not sure if the meaning is lost and to what degree if you have no idea about them.

[spoiler=lki]

The Oblivion Gates are one main part in DA:O, and it was cool to know of them when they talk about them in DA2.

Not sure if the meaning is lost and to what degree if you have no idea about them.

Don't really think this needs a spoiler, but Oblivion Gates? Never heard of it in Dragon Age. Or I've just forgot... What are they?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

As a lot of the others have said, getting Origins is worth it.. It doesn't matter much regarding to the story in DA2, but the storylines in Origins are so good compared to DA2, in my opinion..

1 thing I really didn't like much about DA2 was that you could only be human, where as in Origins you had 3 different races, and 6 different story backgrounds :)

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

DA II seemed more like a side story setting up the next game.

But to answer the original question the original I think was the better game.

Edited by PainOfDemise
Please use the edit/multi quote button instead of multi-posting.

• 1 month later...
OK well I just recently bought Dragon Age II and well it's a great game but i heard that the first one is better so I just wanna know is the game worth getting Or will it turn me off of the series? I heard that the first one's system is a lot different but how is it different? I was looking at gameplay videos and the gameplay looks the same too me so I'm just wondering if it's worth it.

Origins was amazing! I would do it!