What Episode Order do you play?

Naulziator

Need to grab myself a copy of this at some point, just completed the Doom/Doom II segments in BFG Edition and I'd love to go through Plutonia and Evilution again, plus I haven't actually played Master Levels.

I'll probably go in order though, so Ultimate, Doom II, NRFTL, Master, Evilution, Plutonia.

In terms of difficulty, I'd rank Plutonia hardest above NRFTL. Some of those levels were downright brutal. Thy Flesh Consumed was pretty damn rough in places too, actually, although that may just be down to not being familiar with the levels and going in on Ultraviolence first time round. Did the same for NRFTL, Plutonia and Evilution as well though so I'm not sure, maybe they're just hard (FFFFF- Perfect Hatred).

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst I thought about going through them in order. I did Ultimate Doom first and NRFTL second, since its the shortest game. Next I'll do Master Levels as its the next shortest, and then Doom 2, Plutonia and Evilution

No Rest for the Living was sopposed to be the hardest? Funny, the only tough spot I had was the Cyber-demon in a tight alley way fight.

I didn't find NRFTL hard at all. There seemed to be many more enemies on the screen at once, and tougher enemies than in Ultimate Doom at the same time, but I just ripped through them. A bit of a spoiler about our friend Mr. Cyberdemon in map 8

[spoiler=ID]the Cyberdemon doesn't require killing in map 8. Just enter the room where he is, clear out all the enemies and setup the columns the way you would to exit the room, and then "exit" the actual map to complete NRFTL.

There isn't actually anything in that room where the cyberdemon is, that you need to retrieve to win the game. So why you don't need to kill him is beyond me. You'd think he'd be the big boss at the end, the whole last level seems to be a waste of time if you die multiple times and you don't realise you don't need to actually kill me.

If you can't open my spoiler, just quote my post and you'll see what I have written.

Edited by JHChiBulls

Hmm, I didn't actually realise that about the Cyberdemon. There's plenty of ammo and space around after you lower the columns though so it's pretty easy. The game gives you 4 BFG shots worth of ammo in the area, plus a ridiculous amount of rockets.

The only level that really felt hard for me in NRFTL was Inferno of Blood (also the most ridiculously cheesy name for a level in Doom). The amount of enemies is absurd, not to mention sneakily spawning an Archvile in a previous area at one point. It's not too bad since you can grab the BFG for the last mass of enemies, but that's only if you've got all the switches hit before then. Baron's Banquet has that one Cacodemon swarm from all directions but if you run back to the entrance you'll be fine.

Oh and NRFTL was the source of an infight between a Mancubus and two Hell Knights, which ended up with the last Knight and the Mancubus dying simultaneously. That was awesome to see.

After having little problem with Doom, Doom II, Master Levels and No Rest for the Living, playing on I'm Too Young to Die. I thought Plutonia on the same difficulty would be the same, boy was I wrong. :eek:

I did read a quote by the guy that worked on the game that Plutonia was the equivalent of playing Doom II on Hard mode. The jump in difficulty was pretty big. I did get through it tonight. I won't be going back to it any time soon. :D I'm playing Evilution now and the difficulty seems to have gone back to what Doom II on ITYTD is. I'm up to map 8 and its taken me just as much time to get here than the first 2 maps on Plutonia took and that's no exaggeration.

• 10 months later...

If you're going for a chronological order, I'd play them: Doom, Doom 2, No Rest for the Living, Master Levels, Plutonia, TNT. Although you could pretty much play Master Levels whenever since it's in no way related to the others story wise.

If you're not playing Doom on Ultra-Violence, then you're not playing Doom.

• 2 years later...