Original VS BFG Edition

ChristVic

Backlogged

DOOM 3 PC version had been sitting on my shelf since 2004, collecting dust. With the release of the BFG Edition, I decided to finally knock this off my backlog.

Not wanting to favor a ported version over the original (or rather, to play the game as it was first played or meant to be played), I decided to play through the PC versions of DOOM 3 and Resurrection of Evil prior to BFG Edition.

Original VS BFG Edition

After having played through both the original and BFG Edition back to back/simultaneously, I can say I'm somewhat disappointed with the BFG Edition.

DOOM 3 Campaign

Seems the DOOM 3 campaign is unaltered (minus the flashlight adjustments, ammo pickup amounts, lighting, and HD touchups).

Resurrection of Evil Campaign (ROE)

ROE is a different story. I've found a handful of things that have been omitted in the BFG Edition. Nothing major, but kind of irks me:

1. Arcade Games

In the original ROE, there are three different arcade games: Sarge's Bear Hunt, Hellanoid, and Martian Buddy Blaster. In BFG Edition all of the arcade games are Super Turbo Turkey Puncher 3!? Why did they choose to omit the other games? They added variety to the gameplay, pulled players away from main game out of curiousity. Perhaps to make 25,000 points trophy/achievement from Super Turbo Turkey Puncher 3 easier by being accessible in both DOOM 3 and ROE campaigns?

2. Erebus Research - Toxin Maze

Halfway through the game, when you reach Erebus Research, you go through a toxin maze. In the original ROE you pick up a breathing mask and have to progress through the maze while replenishing your O2. In BFG Edition you don't pick up the breathing mask, and have no O2 meter. WTF!? Done to make the game easier? Wasn't really hard to get through there to begin with.

Ironic that all the other O2 segments still remain unaltered (where you travel through the Mars atmosphere between stations). Ironic, since they're not easier than the toxin maze... which happens to not be difficult.

3. Phobos Labs - Invulnerability Hunter

In the original ROE, there were elevators on both sides of the room. You could take them down to get away from the fight, replenish artifact with the bodies down there, replenish health with the health station down there. In the BFG Edition there is no lower level, no elevator. WTF!? If you're trying to make the game easier for whiny ass new age gamers, taking away artifact powerups and health stations is counterproductive.

4. Hell - Pentagram

Shortly after arriving in Hell, you reach a fork in the road. In the original, the left path is blocked by bars. The right path is a dead end with a pentagram. In the original, once you step on the pentagram you get transported to an area with pillars. Here a bunch of Mancubi and Hell Knights spawn in... and you are tasked with using your artifact berserk power to punch everyone out. You are then teleported back to the forked paths where the left path is now unblocked.

In BFG edition, this part was completely omitted!? Let me guess, gotta dumb down the difficulty for whiny new age gamers. I mean come on, its not that hard punching out numerous enemies while being invulnerable to damage, and having plenty of dead bodies to replenish your artifact. Can't think of any other reason for omitting this. Would have been a nice place to get the punch out 20 enemies with berserk trophy.

5. Hell - Maledict Boss Fight

In the original ROE, Maledict summons Forgotten Ones (flying skulls) between attacks. In BFG Edition there are no Forgotten Ones. WTF!?

So many omissions makes me wonder if Id is taking lessons from George Lucas on re-envisioning something that already works perfectly fine. After all, ROE was published and supervised by Id, but not developed by Id. Creative re-envisioning perhaps.

The Lost Mission Campaign

A nice add-on. It explains some backstory about how Maledict is stuck in Hell until ROE campaign takes place. I wish they explained more in-depth the existence of Exis labs and other parts of the Mars base. But lack of information about unvisited locations of Mars was also common with the ROE Campaign. So at least lack of information is trending in typical DOOM 3 fashion. Overall The Lost Mission was good, but lacked in-depth story elements and was too short (3 hrs to beat).

Your Opinions

With regards to the BFG Edition, the DOOM 3 Campaign and The Lost Mission were enjoyable. DOOM 3 Campaign was enjoyable because it was unaltered except for lighting, HD updates, flashlight, ammo pickups. The Lost Mission was enjoyable because it never had a previous release so has nothing to compare against. ROE Campaign is enjoyable if you can overlook all the omissions. If you have played the original ROE prior to this you will probably dislike the BFG Edition version of ROE.

Slap some opinions down. I'm curious about your views on the differences between originals and BFG Edition. Or simply say I'm being an anal d-bag slamming a masterful piece of art-port.

Edited by ChristVic

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Yea. The Lost Mission seemed to be faster paced than the original Doom 3 and ROE. With greater number of enemies attacking simultaneously. Their movements also seem faster.

Perhaps combat seems more tense in The Lost Mission because you fight some of the stronger enemies early on. In Doom 3 and ROE the enemies become stronger during/after you gain better weapons, rather than before.

Edited by ChristVic