Tips for Doom and Doom 2 trophies.

TheCrazyHand

As these are required for the platinum, and as Thy Flesh Consumed is damned near The Plutonia Experiment in terms of difficulty at times, I figured I'd give you folks some tips for this.

But aren't these games long documented already

Yes, but few have beaten Thy Flesh Consumed on UV, primarily because there is exactly 9% health worth of healing on e4m1. And for Doom 2, you can find complete guides, but very few things highlighting the trouble spots. Mostly overly long and wordy guides that cover every little aspect, or video guides that tell you little about how it's done. (seeing does not tell you, for instance, when they are exploiting programming errors and bugs.

Nightmare Trophy

This one isn't too hard. Just hit the switch at the bottom of the right pillar in the green armor room. Then turn around and jump into the central courtyard, collect the blue armor, and shoot your way to the exit. You should be able to survive long enough to make it.

100% Kills+Secrets+Items

The easiest level to do this on is e2m9. It's straight forward action with everything you need in sight.

For Doom's Episode 4

First, complete the first 3 episodes on UV, only saving at the very start of each level. It can get rough, especially in episode 3, but it'll build the skill you will need for the 4th episode. Also be sure to get the secret levels, they're not required for the rampage trophy (or the individual episode ones), but it won't hurt, and do episode 4 on HMP too, same way you did the previous ones (saving only at the start, and doing the secret level), it'll give you that much more practice.

In general

Don't play around and waste ammo or health. By this, I don't just mean don't walk through lava or blood unnecessarily or don't throw ammo around, hoping to hit something. I also mean don't collect ammo or health when you have enough that you won't get the full benefit. The only exception should be if you have to because the goodies are blocking your path or you cleared the level of all enemies and/or the exit is within reach.

Thankfully, there's not near as many traps as there are in DOOM 2 or Final DOOM, so while you should still watch your back, you don't have to panic about it either.

Edited by TheCrazyHand

e4m1

Yeah, I hate to say it, but save. Save after every kill, not letting yourself take ANY damage. The only exception should be to take mild damage getting the rocket launcher, which you can minimize by activating the platform from the top (and thus, outside the waste).

There are parts where you have to get several kills before you are safe enough to save, but you should be able to deal with it. You shouldn't need rockets for the Baron of Hell, but can use them if needed. Also, run up against the cage and peak into the red key area from the other side. Doing so causes some of the enemies to spawn early, dividing up the horde and allowing you to deal with 2 smaller groups instead of a much larger one.

And of course, collect the health bonuses, may as well.

e4m2

At the start, get the imps to hit the shotgun zombies that are looking away from you. You may need some rockets in order to thin out the cacodemon ranks more quickly at first, but should be able to use the shotgun for the rest.

Beyond that, I strongly recommend bypassing the blue key using both the berserk pack route, and the strafe run (or diagonal run) bug, which still works in this version. You can see how using this video:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahEJs_1ir_I]Doom: Perfect Hatred (E4M2) [secret Exit] - UV-Speed in 0:20 by Adam Williamson - YouTube[/ame]

You can't grab the BFG through the wall like seen in the video, but you'll get it anyway when you telefrag the cyberdemon. Before you step into the teleporter to do that though, I recommend grabbing a rad suit, and getting the soul sphere in the lava. It may take a few tries to make the jump, but I prefer doing so to dealing with the rock maze. You can also collect the yellow key if you want more cells and rockets, though it'll involve some intense fighting that you're still under equipped to deal with (but it IS doable).

After you get the BFG, use it if needed to clear any demons or cacodemons, then lower the ledge in front of you and quickly run to the secret exit as seen in the video.

e4m9

Not necessary, but I still recommend it for the backpack. It may be available elsewhere in the episode, but I'm not sure where, and having it earlier is always good. So unless you can find one on e4m1 or e4m2, you may want to take the detour.

This one is only bad at the beginning because there is no cover, anywhere. At least until you clear the initial enemies. Run around the room a couple of times, then go by the brown door where it's at least safer and kill the imps. From there, pick off any remaining enemies when they're done fighting, then try to get any enemies in the currently inaccessible areas. Once you do so, it's a pretty straight forward combat challenge, and not a particularly difficult one. But you will want to activate the wall across from the exit switch to get the backpack.

Also note that there's a fairly generous amount of cell ammo around that you will want to collect.

e4m3

Kind of like e4m9, but much harder. Still won't be too bad one you get past the beginning, but you'll definitely need to watch out for some nasty surprises, namely, Barons of Hell, though not in the worst of circumstances.

Worth noting, the strategy at the start is different. whip out the rocket launcher and hit the switch at the start, then grab the invincibility sphere and drop off, run around the other way, down the stairs and follow the path to the plasma gun, hitting anything that gets in your way with rockets. Then turn around, and clear the enemies in the immediate area.

Doing so causes a lot of fighting among the enemies (who will hit each other a lot while you run to the plasma gun). After this, clear a path back the way you came, and head downstairs to the red key.

As with e4m9, there are plenty of safe spots once you clear out some enemies, but you should definitely exploit monster infighting and invulnerability since you have those tools at your disposal.

After the red key, it gets rather anti-climactic and should be easily finished. When you get to the exit room, be sure to go back through the level, collecting any bit of ammo you can. There's plenty of it, and no reason to let it go to waste.

Also, you can do this level in less than 10 seconds, but it requires doing a wall strafe run along the edge of a platform, which is insanely hard.

e4m4

Seems ID software wanted to give us a break with this one. They succeeded. The only part you need to worry about is immediately after collecting the red key, as you will be ambushed by imps and demons from different sides, but you should be able to handle it. There's not much combat here at all, and other than that one part, it's not very intense either.

e4m5

Intimidating, but only hard if you rush through. If you take your time, it won't be that bad. So as long as you're not speed running the level it's easy. You don't need to drop into the blood at any point, but there is one part where doing so may be strategic to keep enemies from blocking and killing you.

Also noteworthy is that you can skip the blue and yellow keys, but the blue key is located shortly behind a red door. The yellow key may be worth skipping, as you can do it by just jumping through a window next to the yellow door and quickly hitting the exit switch. Only problem is, an enemy may block you, but it should only take a couple or so tries.

e4m6

ID Software knows people save cheat, and ID Software knows how to cheat the save cheaters. Such is the case here. Yep, doing what you did in e4m1 will NOT work here. The reason is that the central teleporter is in the middle of a bed of lava, and you only have a couple or so rad suits to deal with this.

So, what we need to do is plan our route and saves. Specifically, do the following:

First, clear the enemies in the rocky maze, the ones visible inside the castle, and the two specters in the lava moat. On the left by a tree, is a secret with some bonus cells. I'd definitely get them.

First Save

From here, drop into the lava on the left, quickly move into the nearest alcove, and kill everything in the area, but don't collect the rad suit yet. Instead, peak around as much as you can, killing enemies on various surrounding platforms. Also, there's a hidden shotgun zombie on the area between the lava moat, so spot and kill it, or it'll ambush you shortly.

Second Save

Grab the rad suit move up ahead without jumping off, toss some rockets at the yellow key area, it'll help you shortly. then drop into the lava pit, killing the cacodemons quickly. Go into the central teleporter from the direction you came (this is important because each side sends you to a different location), then quickly run up the steps to get the blue key, now finish off the enemies in the yellow key area, and approach the central teleporter from the side left of where you came(you should be able to do all of this before the rad suit wears off). Then go near the blue key switch, but don't activate it.

Third save

Kill the Baron of Hell without getting too close, exploiting the non-lowered columns for cover. Then when he's dead, get close to them and watch for a Baron of Hell and Lackeys from the side opposite the blue switch. Then hit the blue switch, and collect the yellow key.

Fourth Save

Jump into the lava pool and quickly grab the next rad suit, approach the central teleporter from the side left of where you just came from. This should take you to an area with a walkway leading to an open area with yellow and red key blocks. There's a false wall hiding enemies on the opposite side, throw some rockets into it. Then go across the walkway, and clear out the enemies across the cage, then agro the caco demons across the yellow and red key blocks and kill them.

Fifth save

Jump into the lava pool past the yellow and red key blocks and quickly get a rad suit, there's a yellow key door, enter it and hit the switch. The teleporters here take you back to the previous room. You'll notice the yellow key blocks are down, jump into the teleporter opposite of it and kill the cacodemons and Baron of Hell, then get the red key.

Sixth Save

Jump back into the lava pit by the red key blocks, get another rad suit, and open the red key door and hit the switch. Now teleport back and collect the goodies that the red key blocks kept you from. The teleporter will take you by the cyberdemon.

Seventh save

Hopefully, you have some rad suit time left, go back to the blue key area, but go to the right alcove, nearby which is a tunnel leading to an area with the Invincibility sphere, and quickly get back to the central teleporter, entering it from the side facing the cyberdemon. Whip out the BFG 9000 and kill it quickly, to make it die faster, take advantage of your invincibility and get close with blasting it. Once it dies, collect the cells, collect the rockets, and exit.

Yeah, it's a lot, I know, but you absolutely MUST have a plan or you will die, and possibly have a save where you can no longer win the game. The good news is that the combat itself isn't too bad, at least by episode 4 standards, and you've certainly seen worse by now. It's the limited rad suits which get you.

e4m7

Not much needs to be said here, it's not that hard or long, harder than e4m4, and longer, but that's not saying much. I do recommend getting the blue and yellow keys for the goodies, only bad part is the imps surrounding you after you get the soul sphere, but you can handle it by now.

Either way, you should be able to beat it.

e4m8

Eh, it's intense, but since it's the last stage you can use your weapons more liberally than usual, more than compensating for this. Don't use the BFG too much before the end, but definitely expend all of your rockets and bullets, may as well. The yellow key area is the worst part, but still not that bad.

Edited by TheCrazyHand

DOOM 2

Okay, doom 2 is way easier than Thy Flesh Consumed, but it's also trickier as there are many more traps. If you save frequently though, it won't be a problem. Still, general tips:

Monster infighting

It seems more exploitable in DOOM 2 than anywhere else(Doom, Final Doom, Doom 64). It almost seems that they want you to use it as a strategy here. In particular, you want to get any revenants killed by other monsters if possible. DO NOT try it with Arch Viles and Pain Elementals though, just don't.

With Mancubi and Arachnotrons on the other hand, you absolutely want to. Chain Gun Zombies are an interesting case, they're effective, but their hit scan attacks makes exploiting them like this dangerous.

Worth noting, is that level 18 can be easily beaten without firing a single shot if you use this strat and get the invincibility sphere after the yellow key.

Combat Shotgun

Yeah, it's almost required you learn to use it if you wanna win, almost. You can take out anything up to a Baron of Hell with it, though with Arch Viles I don't recommend it due to their low pain chance, and Pain Elementals are better off stun locked with the Chain Gun. Still, an overall good, if sometimes difficult weapon. Just be careful using it too much on levels with low shotgun zombie counts.

other than that, you should be able to use available information to beat DOOM 2, but there may be some trouble spots. Namely:

-Level 7, at the start you are bombarded with Mancubi. Kill the wondering ones and you can easily pick off the rest. But then you're surrounded by Arachnotrons, and there is NO MONSTER INFIGHTING on the level. I recommend grabbing the partial invisibility icon when you kill off the mancubi, waiting for a few moments, then getting out the rocket launcher and tossing around rockets while running around the outer perimeter that the arachnotrons came from. If done right, only a few should be lagging behind there, and if you quickly pick them off, you can finish off the rest as they start to follow you in. The Megasphere, and when you collect it, is up to you. I like to save it for last, but it's understandable if you don't. Also, there's 2 megaspheres in level 6, collect one right at the end of that level and it'll help, a lot.

-Level 13, not particularly hard, but you may wonder just where the hell (no pun intended) you have to go, even with a guide it can be confusing, so here's a youtube video which makes it easier:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLP51lTLYb0]Doom II level 13, Downtown: Keys (example 1) - YouTube[/ame]

-Level 16, the main problem is the massive horde you face after getting the blue key. The fact that there's an Arch Vile REALLY doesn't help. You can divide it up though by running into the nearby alcove with the invincibility sphere first, then killing the Arch Vile while you're at it. Whatever you do, definitely exploit the Mancubi. There's also the imp horde at the start, by now, you have the weapons to deal with them, but you may want to avoid getting flanked by the revenants on the nearby stairs.

-Level 23, there's a spot with 5 Simultaneous Pain Elementals. Honestly, since you get plenty of cell ammo on this level, I recommend running past this area, killing whatever gets in your way with a BFG and quickly getting the Megasphere in the next area. Other than that, the level isn't too bad.

-Level 27, After getting the blue key, I notice a horde of Revenants roaming about the main rooms. My strat was to grab an invincibility sphere I had held off on getting, run past, and hit the blue key switch. The revenants followed and ran smack into the Hell Knight hoard and Baron of Hell that the switch released. You can get most, if not all of the Revenants killed this way.

-Level 29, but only if you don't realize that you get stocked up at the start of level 30, so as long as you use your best weapons fairly liberally, it shouldn't be too hard.

And like Doom 1, the secret levels are not required, but you should do them anyway. They're not hard levels, and have a ton of bonuses. Level 32 has a megasphere, tons of cell ammo, and some rockets. Level 31 has a secret area with some bonuses too. If the cyberdemon is intimidating, the center of the right wall can be opened for an invincibility sphere.

No rest for the living

This can be done on any setting, but be warned that even then it'll feature intense combat and, well, somewhat poor design. Specifically, the developers of this thought it would be a good idea to challenge the player by having them under equipped the whole time. You won't see a BFG 9000 until level 6(out of 8), and you'll need to jump through hoops to get it even then. There may or may not be a backpack, but I didn't find it. Also, some dumbass thought the jungle song from DOOM 2 (levels 8, 14, and 22 from the main game) makes for a fitting boss song (and it fucking doesn't).

You should be able to beat it if you've done the rest of the DOOM and DOOM 2 trophies though. The one thing to truly be aware of is the secret exit, which is in level 4. It's not necessary, but if you want to do it anyway, here's a video guide showing how to access it:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrvxcJFQwvM]Doom II No Rest For The Living: Secret exit - YouTube[/ame]

Note that at the end he seems to be strafe running, there's a reason for that. The good news is that if the door closes you can go back, reactivate the elevator and try it again.

100% Kills+Secrets+Items

Just do level 1, Entryway. The secrets are all easy to find and the only items are 8 health bonuses and an armor bonus. The hardest secret by far is the Rocket Launcher room by the health bonuses, to get it, jump from the lift in the big room with the exit using the run button onto the light fixture and it'll open up. The other secrets you may miss are the Chainsaw behind the starting point, and the small room with the stimp pack in the large room with the light fixtures. It's on the end, opposite of the lift.

Edited by TheCrazyHand

just so you know, to get the doom and doom 2 "all levels" trophy you do not need to complete the secret levels.

doom 2 "no rest for the living" does NOT have to be completed on uv, there are no trophies for that. you just have to finish all the levels on any difficulty you want.

as far as doom "thy flesh consumed" on uv.... well it's tough as hell. the first 2 levels were the hardest for me. after that it became slightly easier but it's by far the toughest doom ep... by far.

other tips... for "one nightmare level" i just ran through the first doom level. it took a few times but i got it.

for 100% i did doom 2's first level. 5 secrets and get everything.

Edited by El Borak 77

Episode 4 was, for thoroughness, I just covered the rest.

Besides, I'm not busy riding a high horse.

Lol, well the same method should've worked for all episodes. Save, re load, save, re load. The most helpful thing in my opinion is listing all secrets that way the player doesn't run out of ammo.

That was a lot of details you put in there, but was the game really this difficult that this was necessary. o.o

Episode 4 was, for thoroughness, I just covered the rest.

Besides, I'm not busy riding a high horse.

If it helps one person, it's necessary. Some people may find it difficult even if you didn't. Instead of questioning the validity of this thread, why not just show a little appreciation for someone going out of their way to post some helpful information instead of panning it?

If it helps one person, it's necessary. Some people may find it difficult even if you didn't. Instead of questioning the validity of this thread, why not just show a little appreciation for someone going out of their way to post some helpful information instead of panning it?

This, exactly this.

This thread is totally necessary, while I didn't use it, I just got the last level of Doom II done on UV and some spots were a BASTARD!

I almost rage quit on the last level!

It's a hard game really, as already pointed out, no health regen, tight amounts of ammo, limited health pickups, more monsters than you can shake a stick at etc etc. For those of us who played it all day when we were kids, no worries, but for this new generation who were raised on COD, this game should provide them with some frustating moments

Lol, well I'm expressing my opinion. I found it amusing you guys keep constantly attacking me, and then one of you even threaten to report me xD I don't need to show appreciation. I gave my own personal suggestion, I've already gotten all trophies in doom 1 and 2 in less than 10 hours so I'm good. But if it helps out other people, good for you.

Theres no need in all that info LoLLL DooM is simple you run & gun if you fail you reload from start of level. i agree with dark soldier tho y all the hate LoL -_- this only took me about 5 hours to do doom 1 & 2 and on doom 2 am #1 on like 25 levels & did most levels under a minute what people need is a guide for secret locations and just watch the speedruns on youtube if your stuck on levels or just wants to get it done fast.

• 2 months later...