What do you think so far?

ToasterBunny

brightness and contrast have been cranked and everything looks washed out even at the lowest brightness setting. there's no option to use the flashlight as it was in the original game if you preferred it that way. the flashlight no longer casts a shadow and also just illuminates everything on your screen all at once.

really disappointed by those things, but i'm still enjoying it a lot. there's so much great content included. if you can live with all that it's still an incredible game and a great value. i say do eeeeet.

I bought the game and for me doom 3 looks great, there is no flashlight as a weapon but looks is attached to his body I think that will be a little helpful because in original version you need to swap flashlight and your weapon in some dark areas, the sprint button it seems that isn't responsive as it should be or maybe is just me, sadly doom 3 don't have co-op I just want it just for fun, doom and doom 2 had this option and is really fun try to beat a cyberdemon with only your pistol with your partner. My opinion here is these is a great games collection but you can wait until christmas for this.

I'm digging into Doom 1 right now, and only have 1 issue with it, and that aside, it's a super conversion that looks very good on a big HD TV, so my PSX copy can finally get it's retirement.

But my issue is with the map, it's kinda unusable. At any given time ca 20% of all uncovered lines on the map will not be visible, and if you move around on the map all lines just blink and flash rapidly, giving me a headache to try and manouver using map screen.

But heck, this is Bethesda we're talking about, I'm sure everything worked fine, so their boss went down and told them to screw up something like the map function. Can't have a glitch free Bethesda game out there, would ruin their rep

But Doom 1 & 2 conversions are true and great, and if you have a keyboard / mouse setup for the PS3 it's exactly like playing the PC version with a bit better graphics.

Can't say bout Doom 3, only played it once, haven't tried this version, but gonna start it up later to see what they've gone with flashlight wise

absolutely. they're all better on pc but if you're just getting started you won't even notice all the stuff that bothered me.

how are they better on PC? So many people say that, but then they try to play it with a mouse on console and never touch the PC version again except for WAD maps

I got a dozen versions of the Doom games, and the only thing the PC has going for it is the WAD maps, in all other aspects there are many versions that are much much better, as long as you have the proper gadgets, ie mouse / keyboard setting. Mouse & Move Sub-controller is even better than mouse keyboard in many games, will try to see if it works for these tonight

on pc you can get them 1080p/ widescreen using doomsday and the difference to these versions is night and day. there are more multiplayer options, the ability to look up and down, use wads (like you said) to play fucking DOOM 64!!! the ps3 versions are piss poor, even the xbla releases looked better. id obviously didn't take time and care to optimise them in any way.

it seems to have been treated as a budget release... i would have paid the extra twenty dollars for them to do this right but like i said, it still rocks.

Edited by panzerthrice

Currently playing Doom 3 and really enjoying it. I think it looks great and like the flashlight transition that they made (even though I didn't hate the way it was before). I haven't had any issues with washout though, so it might be a tv thing. My TV is calibrated, so where it does appear that they brightened it up over previous versions, I think it looks amazing considering it is a last gen game. Funny how things adapt over time and improve though. I keep trying to aim with L1 lol. All-in-all I'd say its a must play for those who haven't experienced it before, and a good buy for those who have and love the franchise.

on pc you can get them 1080p/ widescreen using doomsday and the difference to these versions is night and day. there are more multiplayer options, the ability to look up and down, use wads (like you said) to play fucking DOOM 64!!! the ps3 versions are piss poor, even the xbla releases looked better. id obviously didn't take time and care to optimise them in any way.

it seems to have been treated as a budget release... i would have paid the extra twenty dollars for them to do this right but like i said, it still rocks.

id didn't make these releases

So far, I've played one and a half episodes of Doom 1 and the first four levels of Doom 3.

Of Doom 1, it's good. Same game I remember. As someone else pointed out, the map is messed up, but it doesn't kill the game. I do wish some of the trophies were either co-op oriented or could be acquired in co-op.

Of Doom 3, it's also good. Again, same game I remember, except the flashlight isn't hand held. What I did noticed was that the weapons no longer give off a muzzle flash when fired. That's how the flashlight worked in the original version. It was essentially a gun with the muzzle flash set to be on all the time. Looks like making the flashlight independent of the weapons has removed muzzle flash entirely.

I'm a tad disappointed in two places: 1) the graphics look great, but some obvious areas should have been fixed, namely the pointy heads on the numerous bald characters. Stands out like a sore thumb; and 2) the lack of co-op, which was featured in the Xbox version so why not bring it into this version, especially when online play is much easier now? The latter is the more disappointing. They did include the PC online modes, but seriously, who's playing Doom 3 deathmatch?

Ultimately, if id Software was setting out to make the definitive Doom collection, they came up short. Fun games, definitely, worth it for anyone who wants to play solid copies of Doom, Doom 2 and Doom 3 on their PS3 (especially since we never got downloadable version of Doom or Doom 2 like the 360 did), but id could have done so much more instead of focusing on things like the VR goggles that nobody own.

The way they fixed the flashlight in Doom 3 made me happy :D I hated how in the original version, you could barely see anything in many places and enemies would get cheap shots on you from behind while you were fiddling around with your gun and flashlight. It took out the scariness from the game and just made it frustrating :boom: :wall:

Besides that, the lack of co op for Doom 3 is a bummer but at least they have it for Doom 1 and Doom 2. Can't wait to relive the good old days with my friend :drunk:

So far, I've played one and a half episodes of Doom 1 and the first four levels of Doom 3.

Of Doom 1, it's good. Same game I remember. As someone else pointed out, the map is messed up, but it doesn't kill the game. I do wish some of the trophies were either co-op oriented or could be acquired in co-op.

Of Doom 3, it's also good. Again, same game I remember, except the flashlight isn't hand held. What I did noticed was that the weapons no longer give off a muzzle flash when fired. That's how the flashlight worked in the original version. It was essentially a gun with the muzzle flash set to be on all the time. Looks like making the flashlight independent of the weapons has removed muzzle flash entirely.

I'm a tad disappointed in two places: 1) the graphics look great, but some obvious areas should have been fixed, namely the pointy heads on the numerous bald characters. Stands out like a sore thumb; and 2) the lack of co-op, which was featured in the Xbox version so why not bring it into this version, especially when online play is much easier now? The latter is the more disappointing. They did include the PC online modes, but seriously, who's playing Doom 3 deathmatch?

Ultimately, if id Software was setting out to make the definitive Doom collection, they came up short. Fun games, definitely, worth it for anyone who wants to play solid copies of Doom, Doom 2 and Doom 3 on their PS3 (especially since we never got downloadable version of Doom or Doom 2 like the 360 did), but id could have done so much more instead of focusing on things like the VR goggles that nobody own.

id didn't make these games guys. They didn't make DOOM 3 on the xbox, Wolfenstein, Quake 4 and Return To Castle Wolfestein. These are their GAMES, but from the reports I've watched from John Carmack. They had to lend out their IP's such as Quake & Wolfenstein to stay afloat. This release on DOOM 3 was never ported over by id software.

For an example...

DOOM 3 - Nerve Software

Quake 4 - Raven Software

Quake Wars - Splash Damage

Wolfenstein - Raven Software

Return to Castle Wolfenstein - Westlake Interactive (I believe Splash Damage)

The only games id made in this era of DOOM 3, RAGE & DOOM 3 ROE. Now, they have 2 teams and they don't have to stop and worry about managing their company. This company is hard at work on Rage 2 & DOOM 4. They just had other developers make this game for them. look at Wolfenstein 3D on PS3... Nerve Software made that game.

id didn't make these games guys. They didn't make DOOM 3 on the xbox, Wolfenstein, Quake 4 and Return To Castle Wolfestein. These are their GAMES, but from the reports I've watched from John Carmack. They had to lend out their IP's such as Quake & Wolfenstein to stay afloat. This release on DOOM 3 was never ported over by id software.

Well, that explains it.

However, while I understand not adding things like The Master Levels, Maximum Doom or Final Doom, of which the levels weren't created by id Software, if they going to go in and fix stuff like the flashlight and then add 3D and support for the VR headset nobody owns, why not add in the much wanted co-op mode?

I'd have rather had co-op than VR goggle support. Hell, I'd have rather had co-op than the flashlight fix.

Also, a couple other issues: the controls are odd. Holding down L3 to sprint is a terrible idea. Has anyone at id Software played a console FPS before? And the pausing for a minute to autosave is pretty funny. Between the flashlight fix that removes muzzle flash and the lengthy autosave, I'm beginning to see the limitations of the Tech5 engine. At the very least, give an option to turn off autosave and I'll save my game myself.

Still, I like Doom 3 and ROE even better, so as much as I complain, it's still a good game, still fun, and Doom and Doom 2 finally on PS3 make it all the more worthwhile.

Well, that explains it.

However, while I understand not adding things like The Master Levels, Maximum Doom or Final Doom, of which the levels weren't created by id Software, if they going to go in and fix stuff like the flashlight and then add 3D and support for the VR headset nobody owns, why not add in the much wanted co-op mode?

I'd have rather had co-op than VR goggle support. Hell, I'd have rather had co-op than the flashlight fix.

Also, a couple other issues: the controls are odd. Holding down L3 to sprint is a terrible idea. Has anyone at id Software played a console FPS before? And the pausing for a minute to autosave is pretty funny. Between the flashlight fix that removes muzzle flash and the lengthy autosave, I'm beginning to see the limitations of the Tech5 engine. At the very least, give an option to turn off autosave and I'll save my game myself.

Still, I like Doom 3 and ROE even better, so as much as I complain, it's still a good game, still fun, and Doom and Doom 2 finally on PS3 make it all the more worthwhile.

Yeah, this is a PC port. I feel they were in a hurry on this release. I believe this E3 they're going to be dropping aton of DOOM 4 information.

I'm going to wait for price drop before getting it, too many good games out this fall, and this one is just "ok" IMO. They could have made it great, but some of the little things (no coop in d3?) can make it major. It's a great deal getting all those games in a bundle, no doubt, but for my time right now it's just not available. I also doubt it'll take long for a price drop.

I am going to trade Dishonored for this one or 007 Legends, I don't know yet, I am going to think about it tomorrow when I am at the store. I have enjoyed Doom 3 long ago on my old PC and it scared me a little, and now I want to get the same uneasy feeling whenever walking down those hallways and checking on those damn rooms.

EDIT:

Broke down and bought it -- all of the games are still solid (haven't tried Doom 2 yet), but the presentation is abysmal. A few notes...

- All: Having to exit to XMB to switch between the three games is unacceptable.

- All: Saving/loading takes forever, even for Doom 1.

- Doom 1: The game often locks up when accessing the menus.

- Doom 1: As noted elsewhere, the in-game map is bugged. I've never found the map particularly useful anyhow, so I've barely noticed.

- Doom 2: Purportedly, the Wolfenstein levels were scrubbed, but I haven't made an effort to access them, nor do I know if it's even possible in the console versions yet.

- Doom 3: The flashlight 'fix' isn't that big a deal to me, but sacrificing dynamic shadows and muzzle flashes for it is disappointing, to say the least.

- Doom 3: No subtitles? So I either have to sacrifice knowing what's happening, or have my neighbors think that someone is having a baby in my apartment?

These games, particularly Doom 1, are milestones in the history of the medium, and I expected more from a 20th anniversary edition, especially if the intent is to hype me up for Doom 4. That id completely half-assed the package is disappointing and puzzling. Here's to hoping that a patch at least addresses the lock-ups that occur in the menus. Nonetheless, I can't help but hope for the re-release of the first two or three Quake games (never played Quake III -- was that multiplayer only?).

Edited by jqtaxpayer

- All: Having to exit to XMB to switch between the three games is unacceptable.

You can back out from Doom 3 to the main menu and switch between games. However, you cannot back out from Doom or Doom 2. I really don't see why it's possible in Doom 3 but they didn't carry it over to the other two. Seems sloppy to me.

- Doom 1: The game often locks up when accessing the menus.

I think this has something to do with it saving the profile, but it happens quite a bit. Tends to be worse when accessing the menu right at the beginning of the level.

Nonetheless, I can't help but hope for the re-release of the first two or three Quake games (never played Quake III -- was that multiplayer only?).

Quake 3, known as Quake III Arena, is multiplayer only. The single player, if you want to call it that, is playing the multiplayer against bots. Personally, I never liked it and I believe it was quickly thrown together to showcase the id Tech 3 engine which was used in several high calibre video games.

Quake 3, known as Quake III Arena, is multiplayer only. The single player, if you want to call it that, is playing the multiplayer against bots. Personally, I never liked it and I believe it was quickly thrown together to showcase the id Tech 3 engine which was used in several high calibre video games.

Ah, I see... I'd only played the first until I picked up an old copy of Quake 4 for Xbox 360, which included a copy of Quake II. Played about twenty minutes of Quake 4 and wasn't feeling it, but Quake II was pretty sweet.

Doom 3 is also better than I remember... I'm almost thinking about picking up Wolfenstein (PS3) and/or Rage soon.

Doom 3 is also better than I remember... I'm almost thinking about picking up Wolfenstein (PS3) and/or Rage soon.

for an open world game rage is criminally short and not worth even 20 bucks, it's like half the length of doom 3 and half the length of that is achieved by driving around from A to B over and over

doom 3 has like 20 levels, which all can take 15-20 minutes...rage has 6 or 7 levels of the same length, then it simply ends

go with wolfenstein (pretty good,imo) or better yet singularity (amazing,imo), both are by raven soft

They probably will, but they have to fix the install issue first. See the 360 version has the install option, but it fucks up your ability to play DOOM and DOOM 2, which means installing would equate to no Platinum Trophy.

Honestly, Bethesda isn't very good at non-buggy stuff, Id Software should dump them and patch the game themselves.