Rate the trophy difficulty  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Rate the trophy difficulty

• 1 - Very Easy
    • 10 - Very Hard

http://playstationtrophies.org/images/news/diff_rating_na.png

Collected Trophy Difficulty Rating: 0.00

Voting Guidelines

1. Do not vote unless you have played the game.
  2. Do not vote until you have dedicated a substantial amount of time towards the game.
  3. Do not vote based solely on the descriptions from the trophy list.
  4. A time consuming game does not necessarily mean a difficult game so vote accordingly.
    Examples;
    • Warhawk is time consuming and difficult.
    • Resistance 2 is time consuming, but not difficult.

[*]Vote with honesty and integrity.

I gave it a 3 if use of back up saves is okay. I completed Adventure mode 2-3 as my personal favorite, but generally unused Wendy. It just takes good amounts of prep and knowing each chapters' gimmicks/resources.

If only the use of a save before or after a chapter I'd bump that up to a 4 or 5.

If no back-ups at all I'd give it an 8-10.

Like Hoju said, abusing backup saves really makes things easier. Still, Adventure Mode is sure to provide some frustration, especially if you've tweaked the settings in Sandbox Mode for the easy trophies. The eternal winter and night levels will be the worst for most people.

Not quite ready to vote myself, but right now 3/10 sounds pretty fair.

I give this game an 8 without back ups and a 6 with back ups. For me this is harder than the killzone plat and the knack plat (yes I got both) which have an average of 7 in difficulty each. So I dont think this game should have any less than 6.

This game is very unforgiving because there are no guides since everything is randomly generated for everyone including the order of the worlds and you are instantly put in an open world with no tutorial or no idea of what to do, where to go or what the items do. Basically if you die you start over (unless you cheat). It also has a mysterious character that has a 1% chance of spawning and ontop of that there is random error messages that can ruin your whole playthrough and a bug that messes up your adventure mode leaving you to play an extra world which makes that trophy even more gruelling. This is a very demanding and exhausting indie game. So if you think just because it has no platinum you will breeze through the 100%, think again. Proceed with caution!

I gave it an 8. Damn this game is hard. Adventure mode was a complete gruel to go through. It's so aggravating reaching the darkness chapter then dying -_-

All the survival trophies are kinda easy once you learn the ins and outs of the game. The accomploshrine ones are way to easy to get to be golds, i'm not too sure why the adventure mode and wes trophies arent gold.

Speaking of wes, I have uncovered about 15 adventure mode maps and he is still yet to be found. Even after you find him you still gotta kill all the enemies there too :o This game really deserves a high rating for the unforgivingness of adventure mode and finding wes.

I have played and completed a bunch of difficult games in the past, but this has by far been one of the most annoying experiences I've ever had. The game was a little difficult at first, but once I got past the learning curve I've been playing like a pro.

I have now gone through AM countless times and have still yet to find Wes. It is no longer about skill and surviving, it is about sheer luck. I really thought Knack was bad with it's numerous playthroughs and diamond farming but this is downright ridiculous in comparison.

8/10 .. 5/10 if not for the stupid, stupid randomness.

I have played and completed a bunch of difficult games in the past, but this has by far been one of the most annoying experiences I've ever had. The game was a little difficult at first, but once I got past the learning curve I've been playing like a pro.

I have now gone through AM countless times and have still yet to find Wes. It is no longer about skill and surviving, it is about sheer luck. I really thought Knack was bad with it's numerous playthroughs and diamond farming but this is downright ridiculous in comparison.

8/10 .. 5/10 if not for the stupid, stupid randomness.

Luck of a draw and actual difficulty are two entirely different things. Overall the trophy difficulty should only come down to how difficult you found unlocking Maxwell.

Luck of a draw and actual difficulty are two entirely different things. Overall the trophy difficulty should only come down to how difficult you found unlocking Maxwell.

I'm going to disagree here. I think it really adds to the difficulty when a trophy has a 1 percent chance to spawn the required character IN ADDITION to the fact that finding him is hard (large maps needing to be explored), then killing the mobs around him.

No way is this game a 3. Kiddie games usually range 1-3. This is not as easy as kiddie games.

Luck of a draw and actual difficulty are two entirely different things.

That is correct.

Overall the trophy difficulty should only come down to how difficult you found unlocking Maxwell.

If this thread was called "The Adventure Mode (Maxwell) trophy difficulty thread" you would have a point, but it isn't.

These difficulty threads are almost completely subjective with a few added guidelines and nothing more. What the rating means is relative to who you ask. Seeing as how this is a TROPHY HUNTING website, and these ratings usually end up within a TROPHY GUIDE, my ratings reflect the difficulty of the task of acquiring 100% of the trophies. So what it all comes down to is three things.

The skill required to complete the game (skill/game difficulty), the time required to complete said game, and lastly, convenience (chapter select, trophy hunting accessibility, luck based etc.)

Having said that, in hindsight I think I would probably adjust my rating to a 7 down from an 8 because I am hearing that the Wes spawn rate may be bugged. We'll see.

I'm going to disagree here. I think it really adds to the difficulty when a trophy has a 1 percent chance to spawn the required character IN ADDITION to the fact that finding him is hard (large maps needing to be explored), then killing the mobs around him.

No way is this game a 3. Kiddie games usually range 1-3. This is not as easy as kiddie games.

I don't understand this argument. All you need to do to uncover the map is walk across it. You need to stay warm and eat, you don't even need to fight any enemies- until you find Wes. Playing through one hundred maps to find Wes isn't any harder than playing three maps and finding him, it's just more time consuming.

The skill required to complete the game (skill/game difficulty), the time required to complete said game, and lastly, convenience (chapter select, trophy hunting accessibility, luck based etc.)

• A time consuming game does not necessarily mean a difficult game so vote accordingly.

Examples;

• Warhawk is time consuming and difficult.
  • Resistance 2 is time consuming, but not difficult.

Edited by Keyser Soze

I don't understand this argument. All you need to do to uncover the map is walk across it. You need to stay warm and eat, you don't even need to fight any enemies- until you find Wes. Playing through one hundred maps to find Wes isn't any harder than playing three maps and finding him, it's just more time consuming.

I realize this comment was not directed at me, but I cannot quote your quotes, lol, so just for the sake of a response. I don't understand your point.

1. A time consuming game does not necessarily mean a difficult game so vote accordingly.

A time consuming game is not always, inevitably, necessarily, surely more difficult just because it is time consuming. However, this is something that changes on a case to case basis. We are measuring the difficulty of achieving 100% of the trophies (in my opinion) and when luck based trophies are involved, time consumption is most definitely a factor.

I'm a little surprised at all the high ratings this game is being given.. I admit when I first starting playing I felt like it was impossible to beat adventure mode but once I got the hang of how things actually worked it was really easy.

I know video game "skill" is different for everyone but the game allows you to abuse cloud saving and the Wes trophy is dependent on luck, not skill....

I'm a little surprised at all the high ratings this game is being given.. I admit when I first starting playing I felt like it was impossible to beat adventure mode but once I got the hang of how things actually worked it was really easy.

I know video game "skill" is different for everyone but the game allows you to abuse cloud saving and the Wes trophy is dependent on luck, not skill....

:shrugs: I'm with you on that, but we seem to be in the minority. I guess for some time spent looking for a luck based spawn equals difficulty. For me the game gets easier with every world completed. I've got to the point where I don't even have to fight anymore. In my last ten worlds I didn't have a single kill.

I don't know what you mean by Kiddie, so until you define it I'm going to assume you mean games aimed at 4-8 yr olds. There are a lot of games on the site with 3-4 difficulty ratings. Some in my opinion deserve to be higher, but since they were voted accordingly to be 3s I must keep the whole site consistent by giving other games I believed to be equally difficult the same rating. Some examples: Hyperdimension Neptunia Series, Sleeping dogs, Silent Hill 3. Borderlands received a 4.

My guess on why "randomness" in a game should not be counted in determining difficulty is because it wouldn't be consistent (or statistically would require a lot more data).

Person A found Wes on his first run, while Person B found Wes on his [some big number][st/rd/th] run.

Does that mean person A can give a lower rating than person B? Is this meaningful information?

I want to say no, because in either case the 1% chance (or possibly 100% if you are keeping up with other threads) is still there. It itself doesn't vary, so if the game was rated based on "randomness" it should be agreed how difficult 1% is, not user experience.

I don't know what you mean by Kiddie, so until you define it I'm going to assume you mean games aimed at 4-8 yr olds. There are a lot of games on the site with 3-4 difficulty ratings. Some in my opinion deserve to be higher, but since they were voted accordingly to be 3s I must keep the whole site consistent by giving other games I believed to be equally difficult the same rating. Some examples: Hyperdimension Neptunia Series, Sleeping dogs, Silent Hill 3. Borderlands received a 4.

My guess on why "randomness" in a game should not be counted in determining difficulty is because it wouldn't be consistent (or statistically would require a lot more data).

Person A found Wes on his first run, while Person B found Wes on his [some big number][st/rd/th] run.

Does that mean person A can give a lower rating than person B? Is this meaningful information?

I want to say no, because in either case the 1% chance (or possibly 100% if you are keeping up with other threads) is still there. It itself doesn't vary, so if the game was rated based on "randomness" it should be agreed how difficult 1% is, not user experience.

Even though it would seem to contradict my position in this thread, I just want to say that I agree wholeheartedly with you on this.

But the problem is that there is no clearly defined structure to these difficulty threads. There are some loose (obvious?) guidelines set forth, but other than that, it's really nothing more than a subjective poll thread.

What is a difficult game? What is difficulty? What is skill? How do you clearly define gamer skills? How do you accurately translate that into digits on a numerical scale? Is it truly possible? I believe it is in theory, but we certainly don't have the data we need for a quantitative analysis, so the answers are all relative.

So I say, let people rate games however they want to rate them under whatever guidelines are set. And we'll all just take these ratings with a grain of salt until we have a foolproof system. This is the way it is, but it's all we have and I appreciate it for what is.

Thanks to all those who put in the time to create these threads and use the ratings in a meaningful way!

Edited by Axeshun

Finally unlocked Wes and ready to vote. I'm going to stand by my 3/10 from earlier in the thread.

It's going to take most people a few hours to get a hold on the mechanics of the game. When you first start out you're sure to have a bunch of quick, cheap deaths and the game is going to seem incredibly difficult. Once you have a handle on things you'll be amazed at how easy getting through the game can be.

It's definitely worth spending time with the Don't Starve game Wiki. I had it open next to me for almost the entire time I played and will make your life much easier. The other piece of advice I'll give is not to adjust any settings when starting sand box mode. It will make things easier at first but when you jump into adventure Mode you'll be completely unprepared.

Being able to backup saves to the cloud or USB takes away almost all of the difficulty in the game. You can save at any time and then search an area, fight a mob, do whatever you want and if you die or just don't like how things played out you can simply reload and try again until you get it right. That said, there are sure to be some frustrating moments. I once had a land bridge to cross guarded by between 15 and 20 hounds and once I finally crossed it unscathed I ran straight into a walrus camp.

Unlocking the first six characters and the Accomploshrine trophies are time consuming, but in the end extremely easy. The difficulty really only comes from getting through Adventure Mode. Again there will be some frustrating parts, but reloading saves instead of starting over makes life pretty easy.

We'll see if Klei does something about the Wes spawns, but as it stands it's just a luck based trophy. Finding him on your map- or just getting a World 3 where he can spawn- isn't any more difficult than any other part of the game, it's just a roll of the dice.

I finally found Wes on Chapter 3 after deleting my game data. I think that is the key. If true, that would make the difficulty go down for those who voted based on luck.

Finally unlocked Wes and ready to vote. I'm going to stand by my 3/10 from earlier in the thread.

It's going to take most people a few hours to get a hold on the mechanics of the game. When you first start out you're sure to have a bunch of quick, cheap deaths and the game is going to seem incredibly difficult. Once you have a handle on things you'll be amazed at how easy getting through the game can be.

It's definitely worth spending time with the Don't Starve game Wiki. I had it open next to me for almost the entire time I played and will make your life much easier. The other piece of advice I'll give is not to adjust any settings when starting sand box mode. It will make things easier at first but when you jump into adventure Mode you'll be completely unprepared.

Being able to backup saves to the cloud or USB takes away almost all of the difficulty in the game. You can save at any time and then search an area, fight a mob, do whatever you want and if you die or just don't like how things played out you can simply reload and try again until you get it right. That said, there are sure to be some frustrating moments. I once had a land bridge to cross guarded by between 15 and 20 hounds and once I finally crossed it unscathed I ran straight into a walrus camp.

Unlocking the first six characters and the Accomploshrine trophies are time consuming, but in the end extremely easy. The difficulty really only comes from getting through Adventure Mode. Again there will be some frustrating parts, but reloading saves instead of starting over makes life pretty easy.

We'll see if Klei does something about the Wes spawns, but as it stands it's just a luck based trophy. Finding him on your map- or just getting a World 3 where he can spawn- isn't any more difficult than any other part of the game, it's just a roll of the dice.

I second keeping the link open. I had multiple ones: Crafting, Freezing, Sanity, and opened new ones so I don't have to waste in game time figuring out the supplies I needed to prototype something.

Another thing is if you are in a snow level try to find the Koalefant soon and when near other enemies (besides Mactusk). You will get a lot of meat and the main ingredient for the puffy vest. That combined with maybe a beefalo hat and Wilson's beard you can probably walk for 3/4 of the day WITHOUT a heat stone in winter.

Lastly it may actually be easier to build the accomploshrine in Adventure mode as you will certainly have to face Clockwork Monsters (for sure if you choose WX-78) and you've probably already gathered supplies for a science and alchemy machine at some point in your run (Always The Game is Afoot or A Cold Reception for me).

Voted 5.

The only difficult part of this game is unlocking Maxwell. Period.

Wes is easy to unlock, even in his glitched state, now that we know how to do it. The 1% number from the wiki is complete bollocks, as per the dev (remember that the Wiki is user-generated information, and not the "word of god").

The Accomploshrine is an absolute joke. I got the Accomploshrine in Adventure Mode simply using the gears that drop off of enemies you have to get by anyway. Yes they can be avoided, but they are easy anyway.

Unlocking the rest of the characters can be afk'ed. I sat at my computer and just let my character die on day 3 over and over again to unlock all the characters.

Getting through Adventure Mode is the only difficult trophy, and even that can be done with extreme ease due to cloud save abuse.

The only reason I rated the game so high (with the cloud saves it gets a 3) is that I am just not very good at the game in general. I'm far too impatient with the game, and get my ass killed over and over.

I gave it an 8 but really an 6 out of frustration with Wes. But finally got his useless butt. I was able to find him using the 1st save slot method. But then got stuck with two worlds on the 3rd world. Luckily had a different adventure mode on my third save slot and found him during the 1st world cold reception.

I feel the exact same way in hindsight. I gave it an 8 at first, but I think it's more deserving of a 6 or 7.

Personally, I don't find the game all that difficult anymore. I have made it to Day 98 in Sandbox and I have beaten AM nine times. I have more or less mastered the strategic aspect of the game, and after that it all just comes down to how good the generated world is (luck based). Having said that, I am not ignorant to the struggle others are having and I have seen some (what I consider to be) great gamers really have a hard time surviving more than two weeks at a time, with Adventure Mode being a complete nightmare.