Story Discussion Thread *Spoilers*

ShadowAFC

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/members/fiftyquid-albums-image-storage-picture12706-attention-sign-orig.png WARNING! http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/members/fiftyquid-albums-image-storage-picture12706-attention-sign-orig.png

SPOILER TAGS ARE NOT USED IN THIS THREAD!

You have entered a spoiler tag free zone about the game DmC: Devil May Cry. This thread has been created to discuss anything DmC: Devil May Cry related. You are permitted to discuss key plot points, boss battles and any part of the story openly without the use of SPOILER TAGS. Please note, this is not a "How do I..." thread. Any posts like this will be deleted.

In summary, this is a SPOILER TAG free zone. You do not have to use SPOILER TAGS within this thread. This thread is immune. Posting major spoilers without tags outside of this thread may result in a three day ban.

"my dick is bigger"

did they really need to add that?

They had to bro it up for all the new-comers. While I don't mind the changed Dante, I do mind the direction they took him and Vergil.

Lilith's liberal use of the word bitch was gratuitous; the baby abomination fight was a huge what the fuck for me.

I have to wonder what story bits were cut from this game. It just seemed like a whole lot of empty going on. There's no antagonistic qualities leading up to a lot of the boss fights outside of Lilith. Bob Barbas for example. Visually interesting boss fight that is rather dull from a combat and story point of view.

But...why am I killing him? Because he has a Demon Prison that I'm not really given any motivation to care about? Because he said Dante was a terrorist? Saying he's a manipulator isn't really saying much because what's there is paper thin. I just don't feel anything against him. He's just sorta there.

And from a tonal point of view, the cursing goes against that tone really hard.

Edited by KingBroly

I have to wonder what story bits were cut from this game. It just seemed like a whole lot of empty going on. There's no antagonistic qualities leading up to a lot of the boss fights outside of Lilith. Bob Barbas for example. Visually interesting boss fight that is rather dull from a combat and story point of view.

But...why am I killing him? Because he has a Demon Prison that I'm not really given any motivation to care about? Because he said Dante was a terrorist? Saying he's a manipulator isn't really saying much because what's there is paper thin. I just don't feel anything against him. He's just sorta there.

And from a tonal point of view, the cursing goes against that tone really hard.

Bob Barbas was sort of demon propaganda I thought, that's why they wanted to kill him. He also ran the prison I think. It was the same reason for succubus, as it was providing that mind control ingredient in verility.

Bob Barbas was sort of demon propaganda I thought, that's why they wanted to kill him. He also ran the prison I think. It was the same reason for succubus, as it was providing that mind control ingredient in verility.

Well I can get the Virility part, and wanting to get rid of that. But I don't understand the prison part. There's nothing really done with it. It just seems thrown for no good reason.

"my dick is bigger"

did they really need to add that?

The only funny line in all of the script.

I actually found the whole social satire stupid. The Twitter at the end with #DEMONS had me groan.

DMC3 had a simple plot, but great and memorable characters with lots of detail.

DmC was cliché.

I actually found the whole social satire stupid. The Twitter at the end with #DEMONS had me groan.

The first DMC had no plot at all, the 2nd is suppose to but I for the life of me can't tell you the main villains name even, 3 was just over the top asskicking with a very loose plot, and 4 had a pretty solid storyline.

This DMC had what I felt to be the strongest plot of any of the games. I cared about Kat, I felt betrayed by Vergil, and I liked that this Dante wasn't all flair and no substance.

Comparing DMC to DMC3 is essentially like comparing Batman Forever to The Dark Knight. they take two different directions and I personally prefer the gritty personal narrative of DMC

Also I loved the Twitter bit at the end.

I thought the story was alright. I have never played the old series but I prefer DMC's Dante over the original in terms of aesthetics, anyway.

I think the title serves as a reboot much like the new Tomb Raider.

By that I mean it IS the same Dante, we are just seeing how it is he became the Dante from the old series.

Evident by him now having white hair at the end.

I must say, though, I did prefer his black hair.

I think if the above is true then it puts all the "Hat3rz" in their place, what with their petitions etc; They have glanced at the game, decided they hated it and not played it all the way through.

Vergil being the bad guy was a pretty obvious twist, I think.

I assume he will now be the main antagonist in future games and the demons will now wander the street and Limbo will be non-existent.

All in all, I enjoyed it.

Vergil being the bad guy was a pretty obvious twist, I think.

For people familiar to the series yes.

But here Vergil is very weird.

On one hand, he's very benevolent, friendly, cooperative and soft-spoken. And alturist and well-intentioned extremist. And his motives are "to rule honorably and wisely". Hell, the whole anarchy-fightthepower-rebel schtick aside, he's right.

Somebody will inevitably rule humans, and Dante should've agreed. Cause I bet you if there is a DmC2: Devil May Cry 2, then power will once again be taken by some evil bastard and Vergil will be like "I told you so"

On the other hand... Vergil lacks any honor. So in the end, I loved Classic Vergil and respected his honorable, yet ambitious persona. But the new Vergil is... the shoot babies type.

• 2 weeks later...

Currently playing this game. It's not bad, some ideas actually good, like city Limbo itself, air gameplay, but on the other hand combo system become much easier, man, it's so easy, u can do combos with one or too buttons. Dante itself not so bad, but sometimes when u hear the way he talk...I mean, ok, we love when we can joke around with bosses, but why we always hear f**k you, piece of s**t, motherf***er? What's the reason Ninja Theory put so much into this? I think they can do better then that. And design of bosses...well, hunter not bad, but others...they just pieces of cake, can beat so easy. About story. Well, when i first saw trophy list, it had some spoilers about story, so already can guees what will happen. Don't get me wrong, story good, but i'm not sure that sequel will be better, or do we really need sequel? It's better to continue old story of DMC.

• 3 weeks later...
One question needs to be answered still:

What are the nightmares?

No shit, we were left hanging dammit. Maybe we'll see in DmC2 if it gets made.(crosses fingers)

Otherwise I loved Dante's "attitude". The extreme cussing didn't bother me at all.. it actually reminds me of "Me"..lol.

The ending had me good, I actually felt betrayed. But then I was also sympathetic with Vergil as his intentions were "good hearted".

• 1 month later...

I apologize in advance for the length of this.

The whole damn game irritated me in the fact that it has virtually no real tie in with the originals which I kind of fell in love with. Don't get me wrong, DmC was better than the second DMC which should never have been created in my mind. Although as far as somewhat disturbing looking bosses, the final boss and the one that pushes its way outta a building both were kind of disturbing.

When it comes to bosses in this reboot, there are some things that are fun, some things that are dull, and too flat out WHAT THE F**K :eek: moments for me. Succubus for example. I got the demo and immediately loved it for the change to dante's attitude. change his look and it doesn't phase me. But kicking up that smartass personality of his a bit was perfect. So couple that with the opening cutscene to the succubus boss fight (the actual fight, not where Kat tells him to jump) and I loved it. Of course, the disgusting slug thing that is the succubus is not only ironic but just flat out OMFG material. Even the dialogue is grotesque and vulgar. I mean come on. "I'm going to pull off your head, piss down your neck, and sh*t all over your worthless carcass" is a bit much. Then there's Lilith and the abomination that is Mundus' baby (on a side note, the way they pronounce Mundus [moon-dus] as it looks [mun-dus] just irritates me).

This boss fight had me pissing my pants with wtf moments. Its appearance. The connection between the two (granted Lilith is an ugly b*tch from the start). How SHE draws inside of IT. If Capcom had anything to do with the bosses of this game they definitely didn't hold back on the disturbing appearance of a demon here. The fight with Mundus himself was also a letdown. I was expecting more of a challenge. Hell, fighting Phantom (DMC 1) is harder than him. I guess they made up for it with the final boss fight, which takes me over to the story of the whole thing.

I will admit, making it a revenge story hidden underneath the freeing of humanity wasn't a bad idea. I actually liked the idea that they were trying to kill mundus to avenge their parents as well as ending his reign over the human world. Not to mention the half angel half demon thing. The fact that Sparda doesn't look like a bad ass anymore kinda killed me a little. Also, I was able to give a damn about Kat which isn't something i'm used to since in all the others, the female characters kicked ass by themselves (not counting DMC 4 which is a rescue story for Nero). Hated Lilith. something about her just irritated me. and every time Mundus was brought up I had to laugh. For example, he says at one point, "You don't f**k with a god." Afterwards he raises hell but yeah. Speaking of which, Mundus was somewhat humanized in this one (he actually showed grief over the death of his child and sounded like a hurt father, not like the devil).

The relationship between Dante and Vergil in DmC was nice as well. I felt it gave a decent backstory as to who they were to eachother before DMC 3. After all, the opening scene of DMC 1 gives the feel that Dante and Vergil didn't always hate each other. DmC shows us that. Not to mention the small back and forth when they are trying to get to Mundus and lead him away from the Hell Gate (also, "I have a bigger dick" is the funniest line in the whole game, namely cause Vergil has always been set up as a character of honor, a warrior if you will and him saying something like that isn't very expected). Of course, after everything you've been through, that twist at the end was expected by me (although the looks on Kat and Dante's faces :eek: were priceless :D). It still got a "wait what" reaction from me. It was a lot like Dead Space 2's cutscene before the final "boss" fight.

All in all, the game, although a disappointment to the originals, wasn't too bad. I mean yeah, almost the entire game is pissing off Mundus (which is entertaining) and knocking on the devil's door til he answered but still it was good enough to keep me playing till the end. Could've been so much better but it wasn't the complete cluster f**k that the 2nd DMC was. It's too bad there weren't that many jokes, some of the ones that were there weren't better, and that the ability to taunt was completely removed from the gameplay.

DmC: Devil May Cry gets a 3 out of 5.

• 2 weeks later...

I really enjoyed the story on this one. It sure wasn't perfect but I liked how the game was driven by the story. even the scort mission or the one you have to protect the car was cool.. a nice change of pace. I liked the platforming elements, and hell.. I LOVED the combat system.. once you get a hang of it it gets so fast... its cool.

and about shooting the baby... c'mon, people.. it was a freaking demon baby!! I mean.. it's ok to shoot people in the face in every call of duty ever, but shooting a demon baby is too much? plus, storywise it made perfect sense, at least for me...

I just have one doubt.. is this game a reboot or it's still in the same universe as the others? I mean, by the end of the game he gets his white hair, fights vergill and whatever... apart from the nephilin, half angel stuff, the rest fits in the old games storyline, doesnt it? apart from mundus being dead now as well....

• 1 year later...

Didn't like the story or the new looks. Well can't really say i didnt like the story the story just didnt mean anything to me like the original 3 games story did. the characters are weak the story is weak. the only good thing is actually some of the new dante's lines. I actually enjoyed them he made me chukle alot of times but apart from that the story and the characters are bad. I personally dont care what the nightmares are cause i dont really care about kat.

Well i simply just prefered the story in the original 3 not to mention the characters

• 9 months later...

didn't really get a sense of any story. there were scenes but had no idea why. the story to me is "there is a bad guy uber-demon(?), and he runs fox news, and then the brothers fight over who gets to rule the world." the end.

i was constantly wondering why things were happening. why do lampposts and such warp when dante nears? why an amusement park to start? why all the crumbling? where the fuck are they? why spiders? why are words appearing randomly on things? what are those blood bags?

i have the dmc trilogy, but haven't played it, so maybe that would help, but still. you shouldn't rely on previous games to have your story make sense...

there were a couple of good jokes (the hair and the elevator), but that's about it really...

• 4 months later...

Well, I did enjoy this.

It's true that the game is mostly action-based, but I don't think the storyline is so conspicuous by its absence. Bear in mind that this is supposed to show the former events preceding what happens in the other Devil May Cry games. Thus, there is actually not too much to show: how Dante and Vergil met each other, their fight against Mundus, Vergil's sudden 'downfall' (in which the DLC goes deeper, indeed)... But not too much more.

Taking that into account, the whole game might be considered as a story-filling of the previous ones, but I guess that would be a bit unfair. This DmC is clearly shorter (beating the game just once), and that's because it's different and somehow independent from the others. However, it isn't totally alien to the classic Devil May Cry storyline either, and that's something I particularly appreciate.

Before playing it, I used to think of DmC as a stain in the Devil May Cry games, but then realized it's really not. It fulfills its double purpose: being different to the others but, concurrently, not being totally alien to them. What is more, combat style (the biggest attractive of the saga, in my opinion, no matter how good the storyline may be) is still impeccable, in the end. :D