Why the high reviews & praise??

watsittou

O.k. I bought this game after reading good review from ign.

After playing it a bit... is it boring as hell.

Graphics are so bad for a game made in 2012.

The setting is so so

Gameplay is sub par.

High expectations but really disappointed with it

Don't know why everyone went crazy for this game.

Because you're one of the very few that hates it?

Really need to just create a thread for it? So much obnoxiousness.

How am i being obnoxious? Just stating my opinion... clearly there are other people who didn't like it that much.

Besides, every one here has a right to state their opinion.

Cheers.

I've been playing gta5 non stop since September and wanted to try a game that had great reviews but had no online stuff as I'm scarred with all the nonsense going on with gta at present.

Remembered this one when it came out but never got round to buying it.

Personally I'm very impressed with it so far.

Playing on low chaos so stealth all the way which is providing me with more of a challenge than I thought on normal!

Can see how it will literally be a different game on second play through when I come out with guns a blazing

One of those games where you could read a walk through yet have no relevance to your game as there are so many ways of doing things and the story plays out depending on how you play it.

As I say only just played the first two acts but really enjoying it so far and can see why the high critical fame. So different to the same games that come out year after year and are just the same

This needs a sequel ;)

Only two major problems imho

- Silent protagonist, therefore boring as hell as always

- Graphically, art style & models are good but the lighting is fake as hell

Otherwise it is always cool to play a shadow-magic wielding assassin

I liked the setting very much, if a bit underdeveloped

Also plays on the Thief nostalgia which is neat

Only two major problems imho

- Silent protagonist, therefore boring as hell as always

- Graphically, art style & models are good but the lighting is fake as hell

Otherwise it is always cool to play a shadow-magic wielding assassin

I liked the setting very much, if a bit underdeveloped

Also plays on the Thief nostalgia which is neat

No reason for him to speak, if he did it would have only been cutscenes so it didnt matter

No reason, sure, other than he's the main freaking character and people talk to him all the time. Don't need to look far to see it done right - just take the DLC & see what they did with Daud. It's no contest which character is more memorable / interesting. I'll take Garrett, Adam Jensen, hell even Kratos, over a mute like Link or Gordon Freeman any day. I get the "mute" trick in so-called "rpg" games where you literally build your hero ( they're not going to dub the same lines 25 times ), but when you have a fixed character, a halfway decent story, & everyone else is dubbed, there is no excuse.

Edited by WZ_PSX

O.k. I bought this game after reading good review from ign.

After playing it a bit... is it boring as hell.

Graphics are so bad for a game made in 2012.

The setting is so so

Gameplay is sub par.

High expectations but really disappointed with it

Don't know why everyone went crazy for this game.

I find it interesting that you read the review from IGN and ask why the game got good reviews and praise, since that same review pretty much explains what makes this game so unique and fun. Sure the story is meh, the protagonist isn't voiced by Nolan North or Troy Baker, the graphics are a little soft on detail, and character models all have Popeye arms, but the level and art design, gameplay mechanics, and level player freedom are pretty awesome (to summarize said IGN review).

No reason, sure, other than he's the main freaking character and people talk to him all the time. Don't need to look far to see it done right - just take the DLC & see what they did with Daud. It's no contest which character is more memorable / interesting. I'll take Garrett, Adam Jensen, hell even Kratos, over a mute like Link or Gordon Freeman any day. I get the "mute" trick in so-called "rpg" games where you literally build your hero ( they're not going to dub the same lines 25 times ), but when you have a fixed character, a halfway decent story, & everyone else is dubbed, there is no excuse.

For some games a silent protagonist works, but for Dishonored I agree that there was no excuse for it. It makes sense for him to be silent during gameplay, but not the cutscenes. He's too personally involved for him to be a mute character with no personality. He's not some random person who was suddenly thrust into some big conflict that didn't concern him; the whole game started with his relationship with two female characters. It seemed too fake when other characters were talking to him and he just stared back. That said I still do like Dishonored. I just think a real character would have been more interesting.

I have to agree with Watsittou, I had the same thing had high expectations bought the game and in the beginning i already felt like: this is it? For me everything about Dishonored is shit and i discussed this game on other gamesites and the majority disliked Dishonored even my friends hated it.

Who gives a shit what your friends think

I have to agree with Watsittou, I had the same thing had high expectations bought the game and in the beginning i already felt like: this is it? For me everything about Dishonored is shit and i discussed this game on other gamesites and the majority disliked Dishonored even my friends hated it.

On the Amazon [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Dishonored-Greatest-Hits-Playstation-3/dp/B005C2D1YI/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1388782286&sr=1-1&keywords=dishonored]product page[/ame] for Dishonored, out of 321 customer ratings, fewer than 25 people rated it a 1 or a 2 (average rating is 4.3). I guess the gaming websites you mention, where the majority hated Dishonored, are mainly frequented by those 23 people and only those people. 1 in 5 people not liking it sounds about right for the gaming websites I visit most.

EDIT: Regarding the mute protagonist approach, here's what the developer had to say:

It’s been mentioned in the past that Corvo was left intentionally blank as a character. “That was a deliberate choice,” reiterated Raphey. “If we portrayed Corvo angry and seeking revenge, it might offend the nonlethal player who is seeking a stable outcome for the City of Dunwall, and vice versa”. He wasn’t always intended to be a mute avatar, though. “We added some text input options for Corvo around Alpha but never really went further. To this day, we wonder what the other version would have felt like in the game”.
Source

I actually didn't really notice as much as I do in other games that he was silent (similar to the Bioshock experience). It made me feel as though I was Corvo, and I didn't want to dignify what most people were saying with a response. Just being cool. :cool:

Edited by Satnamji

• 1 month later...

People these days don't like games where you have to hide from corner to corner and take out your target with stealth and skill.

People these days are all about "shoot every-fuking-thing that moves" and never take cover!

I personally think this game is a breath of fresh air.

Sure the story is nothing new and the texture are a little low on details, but the atmosphere, locations and setting are awesome.

The gameplay si very fun and engaging too.

• 2 months later...

Just started playing it last night and so far I'm enjoying it. But then, I really like stealth games where you get the option of sneaking around vs the usual "run and gun" stuff.

As for those who don't like it, your complaints sound very similar to the reasons people didn't like the recent Thief reboot. Odds are, stealth games aren't for you.

Just started playing it last night and so far I'm enjoying it. But then, I really like stealth games where you get the option of sneaking around vs the usual "run and gun" stuff.

As for those who don't like it, your complaints sound very similar to the reasons people didn't like the recent Thief reboot. Odds are, stealth games aren't for you.

Yeah I just platted this game and unfortunately I didn't enjoy it that much. I guess you're right stealth games aren't for me. It also probably had to do with the fact that the trophies for this game are very stressful.

• 1 month later...
Yeah I just platted this game and unfortunately I didn't enjoy it that much. I guess you're right stealth games aren't for me. It also probably had to do with the fact that the trophies for this game are very stressful.

This is my second most stressful platinum. I only enjoyed the game once I decided to ignore Mostly Flesh and Steel and just play my first run normally. I instantly went from hating it to loving every single moment. I did 4 runs and mostly with different routes. And now reading about the Trials.. No thank you. :whiteflag:

To each their own. I loved the game and I would play a sequel again any day. Sure the lighting was fake, and the graphics weren't as good as they could be, but that doesn't instantly label a game "bad" for me. I would play Dishonored over any Call of Duty or Halo game and many other RPGs.

This is my second most stressful platinum. I only enjoyed the game once I decided to ignore Mostly Flesh and Steel and just play my first run normally. I instantly went from hating it to loving every single moment. I did 4 runs and mostly with different routes. And now reading about the Trials.. No thank you. :whiteflag:

Contrary to you, it was actually my easiest platinum... :whistle:

To each their own. I loved the game and I would play a sequel again any day. Sure the lighting was fake, and the graphics weren't as good as they could be, but that doesn't instantly label a game "bad" for me. I would play Dishonored over any Call of Duty or Halo game and many other RPGs.

Contrary to you, it was actually my easiest platinum... :whistle:

It's an easy plat but stressful due to the stupid saving mechanics and lack of chapter select and NG+. My first is One Piece Pirate Warriors which was an easy plat too but so demanding and luck based. I almost cry everytime I remember the farming days *jumps off a cliff*

And yeah, I hope they make a sequel :applause: