This game similiar to

lotc

The story is more of a comedic one, with the obliged seriousness for main plot, but yes. As someone who prefers mostly-lighthearted stories, it's pretty good.

Gameplay-wise it follows the basics of FFT, only adds in quite a bit more to it. After playing through the Disgaea series a few times, FFT seems very basic in comparison.

• 6 months later...
The story is more of a comedic one, with the obliged seriousness for main plot, but yes. As someone who prefers mostly-lighthearted stories, it's pretty good.

Yeah, I would have to say the story almost plays out like those movie spoofs, where some characters are obviously stereotyped as one thing or another. Not that it is a bad thing, but still a decent story.

Gameplay-wise it follows the basics of FFT, only adds in quite a bit more to it. After playing through the Disgaea series a few times, FFT seems very basic in comparison.

I disagree here. I really like the FFT style of turns/initiative over that of Disgaea's. I liked having the fear of getting a high level spell getting screwed because the mage died while casting. Not that the your turn, my turn is a bad thing, but there are some things I would rather have from FFT.

Now, in terms of replay value, Disgaea will win out hands down.

• 3 months later...
I loved the story in FFT and absolutly hated the story in this. I ended up just skipping it to get back to the part of this game I liked.. the gameplay.

I'd agree with this here. Like every other niche JRPG I've played, the story is uninteresting, the characters are intolerable, the voice acting is terrible, and Prinnies, despite having become a sort of cult icon, are simply very annoying. However unlike every other niche JRPG I've played, the gameplay here is excellent and it's a hell of a lot of fun to play. I'd still recommend this, even if you do end up just mashing on start to skip the story all the way through.

Seriously though, why am I always playing as obnoxious schoolchildren in JRPGs?

Edited by McGarnigle

I'd agree with this here. Like every other niche JRPG I've played, the story is uninteresting, the characters are intolerable, the voice acting is terrible, and Prinnies, despite having become a sort of cult icon, are simply very annoying. However unlike every other niche JRPG I've played, the gameplay here is excellent and it's a hell of a lot of fun to play. I'd still recommend this, even if you do end up just mashing on start to skip the story all the way through.

Seriously though, why am I always playing as obnoxious schoolchildren in JRPGs?

Playing niche JRPGs are mostly for people who like a lot of Anime or at least enjoy Anime-style settings. But not every JRPG is like that. Look at Demons Souls, Dragon's Dogma, Nier Gestalt, White Knight Chronicles and other examples are JRPGs that lack the Anime-style settings.

And even if they are school-children, most of them in JRPGs are 18 years old or at least pretty close to it. And they're not obnoxious. Just normal highschool aged students going into not so normal situations(okay maybe Disgaea would be an exception since they're demons but with a funny story to it like most other JRPGs with just each JRPG has their own setting).

Edited by Shuffle

Like I say I really like this game, and despite what I said about there being annoying characters, there are others that are quite good. It's a huge cut above the likes of FF XIII or Last Rebellion, and one of the best SRPGs I've played. That said, I don't consider the likes of Demon's Souls and Dragon's Dogma are 'true' JRPGs. Yes they are RPGs and yes they were developed in Japan, but I think the term JRPG now refers to an actual genre of games, namely these kind of anime or cartoon style RPGs. Obviously it's just semantics but that's the way I have it set in my head.

As an aside, I like the way you're always polite and respectful in your arguments. While a lot of these games you enjoy may drive me mad, I still appreciate your passion for them.

Edited by McGarnigle

Like I say I really like this game, and despite what I said about there being annoying characters, there are others that are quite good. It's a huge cut above the likes of FF XIII or Last Rebellion, and one of the best SRPGs I've played. That said, I don't consider the likes of Demon's Souls and Dragon's Dogma are 'true' JRPGs. Yes they are RPGs and yes they were developed in Japan, but I think the term JRPG now refers to an actual genre of games, namely these kind of anime or cartoon style RPGs. Obviously it's just semantics but that's the way I have it set in my head.

As an aside, I like the way you're always polite and respectful in your arguments. While a lot of these games you enjoy may drive me mad, I still appreciate your passion for them.

But this is basically where the term "niche" comes into place. They're not for everyone. Though I suppose even the most popular games don't appeal to everyone either, but just have a bigger audience even if it does have some negative reception towards fans of the series in-general.

But calling games such as Dragon's Dogma, Demon's Souls, etc. is better than calling these Shooter games with RPG elements to them an RPG. The way I see it, the Japanese developers of those not so Anime-style RPGs were "influenced" by the Western RPG style.

When creating these Anime-style games no matter what genre it is, the company is marketing the game towards that niche crowd. Sure there will likely still be games that are not good, but it's basically a whole different world of gaming than like most games made in America. Like I only play a few games made in America since my interest lies in Japan.