New Old Schooler Guide

MariDave

INTRODUCTION

As suggested by one of the guide team member, I decided to create a new thread about how to earn the Old Schooler trophy in this game, and help other fellow gamers, especially those 100% achiever . This trophy is one of the hardest among all PS3 games, it is achievable but requires skills and luck at the same time. Myself, as a owner of this trophy, I understand the frustration and madness during the process. If you practice and practice, it will come eventually, however, it will never come in just one sitting or a couple hours. Be prepare to fight at least a few days non-stop.

Unfortunately, there is no guarantee method for this trophy. The enemies are moving randomly base on your position, they might move in a similar pattern. What makes it really difficult is, when the map becomes open, they will come across each other and transform. Always moving and don't lead the monster to come across with each other.

OBJECTIVE

To earn this trophy, the best way is GET TO LEVEL 8 WITHOUT LOSING ONE LIFE

LEVEL 1-6

In the other thread, Old Schooler (work in progress) (Credited to dFuse), you should able to complete the first 6 levels without dying after some practices. I highly encourage you to watch level 5 & 6 YouTube video about the timing to use the money bag.

images.jpg

Level 1: Move towards the first enemy and shoot him, go back to the first bag and use it, wait and shoot the next, move up and use the second bag, move back and shoot.

Level 2: Move towards the first enemy and shoot him, move back up and reload and shoot the next, dig your way down in the left part of the map turning around to shoot when you can, use the last bag for the last enemy.

Level 3: Move up and shoot the first enemy, dig up and use the middle bag and if you have time push out the right bag so it falls down and kills an enemy there. then move quickly to the left and dig your way down turning around and shoot when you can, use one of the bags to the left if you need to and move over to the right side for the last enemies.

Level 4: Move towards the first enemy and shoot him, use the first bag for the next, dig up and shoot the next, top middle bag for the next one, move to the left side and dig yourself down and use the bag in the middle left.

Level 5: First level where i need to improvise as i go, but shoot the first enemy, and then use the first bag for the next one, move right and wait and shoot. move up and bag the next enemy then push the last bag to the left and kill one enemy there.

Level 6: Shoot the first enemy and use the bottom first bag for the 2nd enemy, then quickly move up towards the top right bag without using it, and shoot the next enemy. wait and bag the next enemy. then if you can use the last of the right bags and get lucky with the rest

Level 7: Will try the shoot and move back tactics on this one since it has alot of paths.

Also found videos of level 1-4:

YouTube - Chipwelt's Channel

Level 5:

Level 6:

LEVEL 7

With the trophy guide and the above picture in the other thread, you should able to get to level 7 without dying after some practices. I am going to give you some advice to start off level 7 by my memory of eight months ago. Sorry about the picture because I can't find the large screenshot, so I enlarge the small thumbnail picture.

Untitled-1.jpg

1. Move to position A, face up and shot the first monster.

2. Move to position B, face down and shot the second one.

3. Move to position C, wait and push the money bag to the left and drop it down. if you are lucky, you can kill two at the same time if your timing is right.

4. Move to position D, and shot another one.

5. Move to position E, and drop another money bag to the right and kill monster down to the middle.

6. Might wait at position D shot one more again.

7. After that, things will become random and unpredictable. Keep moving and alternatively use money bag and shot to survive. Stay on the left side, work towards the right. Grab the cherry only if needed.

LEVEL 8

Finally, you pass level 7 without dying. Level 8 will be easy, go for the gems, don't even try killing. With those three lifes in hand, you should have no problem at all and pass level 8 with the freaking hard trophy.

VERDICT

Hope this will help a little bit and make this trophy less frustrating, good luck gamers.

Edited by MariDave

• 2 weeks later...

Very usefull tips, seriously this trophy was a pain for me, i mean i played and earn a lot of hard trophies like Mr. Perfect in Megaman 10, Multiplier hero/Late bomber in Super Stardust or even got the platinum in WipEout HD, but this trophy (Old Schooler) was the mother of the hardest trophy that i got it.

well aside of my opinion i have some tips i would like to share it (by the way my english isn't very good, so my apologize if i have some grammars mistakes):

Well a lot of people think that the enemies are random and doesn't have a common pattern but beleive me: "Yes, it has a pattern!" but only the first 4 levels, the others levels are random (most of the time).

For the first 4 levels i recommend in finish the level in killing all the enemies, you must do this: when the level start, first shoot to enemy in a far away position and calculate that the shoot will hit the enemy, then start to run to the contrary default road (don't create a road is very dangerous because the enemy can move it to that place and mess up this method) and wait the 6 seconds of the reload and shoot to the next enemy and repeat it this method again, now when you are in the end road of the default road start to create a road (i call it "scape road") for that the enemy follow you, turn back and shoot it, continue creating the road, turn back (after the reload) and shoot it again, repeat it until you killing all the enemies but one important advice: in the first 2 levels "Don't pick up the cherry" because if you pick it, it will appear more enemies so don't do it but in the levels 3 and 4 do it! because the enemies are a little more faster and appear more of them in the screen, now when you pick up the cherry please "don't create a road" and kill the enemies in the default/scape created road, are easily to kill them because they never turn back! (they only turn back where there is a intersection), just wait if they going to your position and kill them (but do it fast!, the cherry doesn't have a long effect) after killed all the enemies wait until the appear of the next enemy and shoot it, later run away in the default/scape road wait the reload and shoot it again.

with this tips the levels 1,2,3 and 4 are easy to complete (also you will not lose a life!, maybe you can even win a extra life!).

now in level 5 there is a problem... you can easily finish it by kill all the enemies but here the enemies are random and fast and doesn't have a good pattern to follow (has one but sometimes work)... but at least is more easy clear this level in killing all the enemies than pick up the emeralds

in level 6 now we have a BIG problem, this level doesn't have any pattern, i tried a lot of ways in find one but nope, doesn't have one, the only way to end this level is picking all the emeralds but i warning you that you will lose a life trying this method (so keep your lifes until this level!)

For level 7, well maybe is a coincide but i did the same method that you said MariDave and it works!

Now we are in level 8, the trophy is near so don't get nervous!, the best way in finish this level is picking up all the emeralds so do this:

when the level starts, go to the right side and pick up all the emeralds fast!, later pick up all the emeralds from above of the screen, maybe you will lose a life here (but don't worry maybe you will have 2 extras lifes in this point if you followed this tips), if you die picking up the emeralds from the above screen when you restart, start picking up all the emeralds from the left side (don't go back where you died because there is a big chance that you will die again!), after picked up all the emeralds of the left side collect the rest of them and you will finish the level! and will pass to the next level that i don't know if is random because i was playing level 6 again but this time seeing a message "You won a trophy: Old Schooler".

Well hope if this tips help you people, seriously this trophy was very hard to me... but with practice and effort i do it, and you can do it too!.

• 3 weeks later...

7 doesnt work for me at all

i reached 7 w/ 3 lives and 38k Points.

i tried what is shown on the picture, but.

when i drop first bag down the middle "road" it will kill 1 enemy (#3) + a second (#4)will escape and go back to the right -> it will cross another enemy -> they start their dig towards my digger. any advice?

any idea of how many enemies are @lvl7?

Sometimes it may be timing issues for the money bag and sometimes it need some luck, too. Just keep trying, you are almost there.

No idea how many enemies are there because I didn't even bother to count. When I played, I was just sitting there and keep trying and trying, rest, eat, and then try again.

Sometimes it may be timing issues for the money bag and sometimes it need some luck, too. Just keep trying, you are almost there.

No idea how many enemies are there because I didn't even bother to count. When I played, I was just sitting there and keep trying and trying, rest, eat, and then try again.

i played lvl7 like a billion times by now, every 2nd time i can manage to reach lvl 7, but no way for me to finish this one.

they allways go back and as soon as 2 enemies cross, they start to dig. I'm so sick of lvl 7 tbh

i really tried almost every possible timing i could think of though ...

I guess you may try not to kill #3 and #4 together with the money bag. Kill #3 with the bag, and if #4 go up, shoot it. if not, wait #5 shoot, and when #4 return from the dead end, use money bag to kill #4 and #6. This trophy is hard because there is no exact pattern, sometimes, luck is required and keep running if you are being chase, run towards the money bags, shot first if you are able. There may have a total of 15 monsters. For sure, it is more than 10.

I guess you may try not to kill #3 and #4 together with the money bag. Kill #3 with the bag, and if #4 go up, shoot it. if not, wait #5 shoot, and when #4 return from the dead end, use money bag to kill #4 and #6. This trophy is hard because there is no exact pattern, sometimes, luck is required and keep running if you are being chase, run towards the money bags, shot first if you are able. There may have a total of 15 monsters. For sure, it is more than 10.

i cant kill 4, neither with bag nor by shooting it.

i cant kill 3 and 4 at once. and when killing 3 4 will automattically move back -> hits #5 -> 4 and 5 start to dig ...

no way to even shot #4

if interested i have a vid i could upload tho

i cant kill 4, neither with bag nor by shooting it.

i cant kill 3 and 4 at once. and when killing 3 4 will automattically move back -> hits #5 -> 4 and 5 start to dig ...

no way to even shot #4

if interested i have a vid i could upload tho

Sure, upload the video and hopefully, I can suggest something. At the meantime, maybe send messages on PSN to some recent achievers and request some recommendations.

Sure, upload the video and hopefully, I can suggest something. At the meantime, maybe send messages on PSN to some recent achievers and request some recommendations.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AVOgHjU_1M]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/ame]

here we go, you can see that enemy #4 is moving back when i paused the game (was because i thought about how to handle it obv, but didnt work xD

basically im just interested in enemy #3 and/ or 4, dunno about any further ones though

Edited by LoAlexandria

here we go, you can see that enemy #4 is moving back when i paused the game (was because i thought about how to handle it obv, but didnt work xD

basically im just interested in enemy #3 and/ or 4, dunno about any further ones though

Set you video to public or unlisted, it is set private now, can't load it.

done. hope u can view the vid now

OK, nice and good quality video. Maybe you can make a video guide for other gamers. I wish I can record like you.

May be try drop the first money bag a tiny bit later. The bag you dropped scare #4 off and make it turn around. Always drop the bag when the monster come as close, so they can't turn around and escape.

OK, nice and good quality video. Maybe you can make a video guide for other gamers. I wish I can record like you.

May be try drop the first money bag a tiny bit later. The bag you dropped scare #4 off and make it turn around. Always drop the bag when the monster come as close, so they can't turn around and escape.

tried allready, still able to escape - its close but no was i can drop it any later than i did it once, but ill give it another shot

Well im doing guide(s) for Cubixx and Rocksmith that way atm. :)

maybe ill come up w/ some other games too

tried allready, still able to escape - its close but no was i can drop it any later than i did it once, but ill give it another shot

Well im doing guide(s) for Cubixx and Rocksmith that way atm. :)

maybe ill come up w/ some other games too

2.png

Don't push it out until the monster #3 almost get to the red circle.

Or, just use the bag for #3 before #4 get to the middle, then shot down #4.

If neither works, I don't know I have the solution for you. I remembered I have the same situation in the video before but not every time.

Edited by MariDave

2.png

Don't push it out until the monster #3 almost get to the red circle.

Or, just use the bag for #3 before #4 get to the middle, then shot down #4.

If neither works, I don't know I have the solution for you. I remembered I have the same situation in the video before but not every time.

whatever you said, i allready tried b4, nothing really helped :(

gave it a shot today, first run -> lvl 7, obv failed -.-

wont give up on it :)

• 1 month later...

The way I do level 7 (which isnt 100% fool proof) is do exactly as you did LoAlexandria except I let the 3rd monster pass and come after me. I push the bag on monster 4 and then move left until I can turn and shoot. I've never died because of this method so I think it is a valid tip. I still have to work out a method after the first four monsters. Hopefully that will help you out though.

I've gotten to one gem left on level 8 and got cornered.... So close.

Just got Digger to 100% and I must say it feels pretty good. More tips for number 7:

Like I said in a previous post, dont drop the bag on the third monster. wait until he passes the bag and drop it on the fourth one. Run to the left across the path then turn and shoot the third monster. Immediately get the first bag on the left and drop it down the tunnel. Sometimes you can get lucky and take out up to 4 monsters with this bag. Then I suggest starting at the left grabbing the gems and shooting monsters as they come down your path. I've never beaten level 7 by killing all the monsters and on the one that I got the trophy on I lost 3 lives on this level alone.

The only other advice I can give is practice. Learn how to trick the monsters by moving towards one side of a long straight away and get them to go where you want them. Also dont give up. I've been at this trophy for about 4 weeks playing a bit everyday. Like many have said before, a lot of this trophy is luck but there is some skill involved. A run of the mill player probably will never get lucky enough to get this trophy. You have to be pretty good.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

First of all: Thanks @Silverwolf for one great advice on just killing #4 using first bag instead of #3! This really helped and i finally got 100%!

I was recording my runs and final run is just rendering - will be up in a few hours

i really despise trophies like this, where there is more luck involved than actual skill. i won't give up though, i will get this trophy eventually!

If ur skilled enough it won't need any luck. i got quite lucky in level 7 killing 2 monsters which weren't planned to be killed that way, but whatever works xD. But i dont think i wouldve messed it up othervise though

Here you go

Level 1-8 in one video

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6EqK8JqWgc]Digger HD - Vintage Mode (Old Schooler Trophy) - YouTube[/ame]

Edited by LoAlexandria

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...