Is this really gonna be that disappointing?

Availability

I never played these games before, and i played the first one a few weeks ago, and i thought it was great. Im currently playing DMC 2, and it isnt nearly as good as DMC 1 in my opinion. It isnt terrible but it feels sloppy. The combat is easier but its mostly spamming the shooting button. Anyway i recommend playing it, but dont expect it to be as good as the first one. Ive heard DMC 3 is the best of the series, im hoping its true. :D

DMC 1 and 3 are shining examples of what you could do with the hardware, taking a great concept, great characters, and immensely entertaining combat and putting it all on display. DMC 2 is the poor clone of those concepts. I don't know what they were thinking, but DMC 2 just hurts. The characters are lame -Dante doesn't behave like himself, Lucia is just stupid, and as far as Arius and Matier go... well. I THINK they might be characters and not just cardboard cutouts, but the game doesn't encourage that opinion.

As noted above, the combat is sloppy; most of the time you can get away with just mashing square to shoot/throw daggers at everything and you'll win. This is true even on the higher difficulties. Mind you, that's when you actually HAVE to fight, which you almost never do. The boss fights are 95% "stand here and shoot it until it dies in 10-15 minutes" and the enemies make no bloody sense plus suffer from immense amounts of recycling. There's literally only five "standard" enemies. You'll have seen all of them by level 4. They just get new colors, slightly different names, and hit harder. The bossess and mini-bosses are lame, uninspired, and not related to anything that's going on - random giant fish battle? Um... okay. How about a tank or helicopter covered with glowing eyes? Sure, why not - and they lack the banter from the other three games in the series.

The weapons are dull - and if you can find an actual difference besides some minor stat tweaks between all of Dante or Lucia's swords, then you're a wiser man than I shall ever be - and repetitive; there never seems to be any reason to play with the different toys. There is never the "oooh, a new toy, let's go see what it does" moment that is present in all the other games.

The menu system is insane - if you finish a level and decide you want to stop, you have to load up the next level, wait for the stupid "Guidepost of the Hunter" quote to appear, start the level, THEN select quit - and the mission select mode only appears after you've beaten the game, and then only when you first load your save. Missed something? Want to skip around a bit while you grind Red Orbs? Then enjoy watching a lot of load screens as you finish a level, save, start the new level, quit, reload said save, select the mission you want, rinse repeat. And since it's a "two disc" game, and the developers of this wonderful collection neglected to just alter the menus (or at least give us a button to go from an individual game menu back to the "which one did you want to play" menu) if you need to switch to the other "disc" - which happens frequently, since it's short but it forces you to leapfrog between Dante and Lucia to unlock everything, multiple times - you have to bring up the XMB, quit, wait for that to load, restart the game, wait, select the other disc from the games menu, then go.

All in all though, I think the thing that gets to me the most is the audio... or rather, the lack thereof. DMC 1, 3 and 4 all have crazy soundtracks, and distinctive "battle music" that suits what's going on quite well. DMC2 spends almost the entire game in musical silence except for the occasional moody chord and obligatory pipe organ before a boss appears. The sound effects are uninspired and annoying - the odd "gasping" noise that Dante's swords make in particular drives me insane - and most of the voice acting makes Resident Evil on the PS1 sound like Kenneth Brannaugh doing Iago.

So, to answer the main question... probably. DMC2 is pretty bad, and has almost nothing to recommend it. It's not even really connected to the other games story wise, so there's almost no reason to bother playing it at all, unless you want the complete platinum collection. Just my 2 cents, though.

• 2 months later...

Devil May Cry 1 & 3 being such great games and at such high levels, yes Devil May Cry 2 was sadly a disappointment. On its own, its not that bad of a game but thankfully I never bought this one otherwise I understand why people would be annoyed paying full money for a game which:

- Takes no time to finish

- No real challenge, maybe towards the end I finally had some sort of challenge

- Guns way too overpowered

- Plot is confusing and is a bad copy really of the first games

- Characters dull, nothing like DMC3 or DMC1

Still, DMC 2 had some great ideas and helped make DMC3 essentially, just a shame it feels like the game could have had a little more work and it wouldn't be so average.

Edited by Hammers2012
typos

• 1 month later...

It didn't seem so bad the first time I played it (rented) years ago, but now...it really is a terrible game. After replaying DMC1, the stiff controls still bother me, but it's loads better than this.

Most of the backdrops and enemy designs are just bland and boring. Many of the areas are too large and empty. Too many bosses rely on you to spam your guns to take them out and some of the later enemies are just frustrating (I'm looking at you, flying goat demon).

I remember when the trailer for this game first came out. My brother and I went nuts! So naturally we jumped on this game when it came out. Our disappointment was off the charts. When the HD collection came out, my brother coerced me into clicking DMC2 and we watched the demo loop. We went nuts like "YEAH! OMG! OH YEAH, SHOOT 2 DEMONS AT ONCE!" I stopped and said "Isn't this the EXACT same thing we said 9 years ago?" He replied "Yeah but the difference between now and then is we know what's on the other side of the title screen." I tortured myself through the first level, only to hear him say "cut this crap off and play DMC1."

So 9 years later, it's still bad.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

This game was as easy compared to the first as DMC3 was hard (classic 3, not the spec ed). It tried to focus on ranged combat, but sword still work better IMHO... once you get close enough to use them. *mad face*

Dante's personality lost a lot of his humor, and for some reason there's no comments made on either side when you meet Phantom which was the biggest detractor from the game in my mind.

To sum it up, start on higher than normal difficulty and assume Dante became very world weary over time, and the game is actually half decent... but still the worst of the 4.

• 6 months later...

There's a reason why many people pretends that there is just 3 DMC games.

DMC 1

DMC 3

DMC 4

Even Capcom once said that people should ignore DMC 2.

What I have to say isn't enough, I could go on a huge Angry Video Game rant on how bad this game is compared to the other games. It's pretty much the Castlevania 2 of the DMC series.