Combat system

Niels

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure you can't really compare it to anything. I'll try to explain the fighting as best I can:

If your using a sword and shield, you will see an enemy, lock on (R3), the you will either block(L1) and then attack(R1), or you will just attack, you can also parry(L2), but this requires some good timing.

If you're playing a Mage, you will keep your distance and pres R1 to do your magic. Those were the two classes i played so I'm not familiar with the others.

The way the game works is, you teleport to 5 (iirc), different worlds, and you fight through the level. There is exploration but it's not a huge open world. You can play co op or do pvp, but this is something you won't have to do, and it can be a little confusing at first.

It's a pretty complex game, but it's really fun. It's pretty action oriented, and takes a good amount of thought to play at first

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure you can't really compare it to anything.
That's a statement that cannot be corrected. That's absolute fact.

The combat system is very simple to explain, but it's refined enough so that it allows for player experience and skill to factor into your performance much more than items and stats, alone. Stats affect items. Items affect combat. But combat as a whole is in the player's hands.

Any item, weapon, or spell can be manually aimed, but this is a highly-experienced, professional tactic, so it's not recommended. Still, it's important to mention that it CAN be done, because that proves that you don't HAVE to lock-on. For the most part, combat is handled through locking-on to your target (and maintaining which targets you wish locked-on, when facing multiple enemies), timing your attacks, blocks, item usages, spell casts, dodges, etc so that you hurt them, and you avoid them hurting you. No enemy in the game is beyond worrying about. Even the weakest enemies in the game can screw you if you ignore them. Line of Sight and Range Detection is a big part of how the AI responds to your presence. Your character emits noise when it moves, so that's taken into account, as well.

Essentially, the combat is very responsive, creative, and intuitive. As stated above, you can't compare it to anything else.

That's a statement that cannot be corrected. That's absolute fact.

The combat system is very simple to explain, but it's refined enough so that it allows for player experience and skill to factor into your performance much more than items and stats, alone. Stats affect items. Items affect combat. But combat as a whole is in the player's hands.

Any item, weapon, or spell can be manually aimed, but this is a highly-experienced, professional tactic, so it's not recommended. Still, it's important to mention that it CAN be done, because that proves that you don't HAVE to lock-on. For the most part, combat is handled through locking-on to your target (and maintaining which targets you wish locked-on, when facing multiple enemies), timing your attacks, blocks, item usages, spell casts, dodges, etc so that you hurt them, and you avoid them hurting you. No enemy in the game is beyond worrying about. Even the weakest enemies in the game can screw you if you ignore them. Line of Sight and Range Detection is a big part of how the AI responds to your presence. Your character emits noise when it moves, so that's taken into account, as well.

Essentially, the combat is very responsive, creative, and intuitive. As stated above, you can't compare it to anything else.

Nice to see you back. Play nice yeah :)

TS, it's an action rpg where there is no pause or turn based combat. So careful not to switch weapons or items coz ur gonna get hit unlike dragon age where combat is paused when you pull out the wheel. Thought I mention this since no one said it.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure you can't really compare it to anything.

Anything is comparable, you just need to decide what you look for.

Reminds me of writing compare methods. :p

Out of the three the thread opener starts out with, which one would you say has the most alike features? I would say Skyrim! Why? Simply because you got free movement and you have somewhat control over what your sword hits in the sense that you don't just pick to hit an enemy, but you actually have to aim at them. Skyrim has these finishing moves (hate them), Demon's Souls does not. I've already mentioned that you can play against other people, so that differs a bit. Skyrim is a lot less precise and there's not the same stamina system. Neither do Skyrim have that many different attack movements for various weapons.

As we can see, the games are comparable, because I just compared them.

Edited by MMDE

• 1 month later...

In all honesty I have to say the combat system is most comparable to a game that you did not even list, and that game is Monster Hunter (One of my all time favorites, just wish they would release one for the ps3), in fact they are nearly identical which would explain why I enjoyed this game so much because all of the Monster Hunters combined id say ive put over 1500 hours of gameplay into.

I agree that:

1) with only starter options: Skyrim is near DS, but hell far if other options available.

2) with the guy above: really is like Monster Hunter is more than one aspect. Much closer than Skyrim.

3) both games above pale in battle system comparison to DS, as all who ever played knows, lol.

So it's as inefficient choose another option not given by the starter as it's choose the options starter gave, Hum...

To make things worse, i enlist another theory comparison probably inefficient too if some1 never played the games:

- it's the aiming of the old ps1 third person shooters (Tomb Raider and alike).

- togheter with non-mashing stamina limiter of recent generation games (elder scroll - oblivion and skyrim - battle of the haste or Fight Night).

- adding the heavy mistake punishment of 8 or 16 bit plataform games (megaman, Ghouls and ghosts and hell lots alike).

Well, sorry for the divagations, also agree with the guy of berserker anime avatar. Stats affect a lot combat. Probably my post helped nothing, lol.

Ok, I will elaborate more on my prior post since I pretty much just said it is like Monster Hunter but yet i stated no reasons as to why.

1. To start the games story lines are crap/non-existent, you are just kind of thrown out there and expected to know what to do right away (Tutorials are pathetic to say the least)

2. Most the best weapons in the games are crafted from various rare materials obtained from boss battles. (two difference senses of rare, monster hunter drop rates are low and demons souls you only get 1 per playthough and have to choice wisely on what you spend it)

3. You have to upgrade stats in most cases to progress though the games, for monster hunter this would be your gear and craftable supplies since it isn't an rpg.

4. Bosses are brutally pulverizing to get hit by even just once (If stats arent up to par you can get killed in a single blow), but with this being said nearly always have a specific warning for which attack they are going to use letting you know how to avoid it.

5. Both games share many different play styles great swords, great hammers, sword and shield, lance and shield, bow, and specific to DS magic but some consumables in monster hunter could be considered mild magical enhancements.

6. Attacking to much limits your chances of evading since stamina is used to attack and dodge/roll/run.

7. Bosses have massive health bars and some can literally take 45 minutes or more to kill.

8. Different armor sets have greater advantages VS specific mobs/bosses.

9. When you first pick them up you feel they are to hard and might want to quit. (I quit playing both of these games within a week of playing the first time. Then I picked them back up and got hooked to them.)

10. They are both fantastic games with a very unique feel to them and a combat system that is unparalleled by anything else of this generation. Yes they have their differences in combat systems but the feel of both of these games is very similar, and I would highly recommend that you try both.

Edited by donman1001