Demon's Souls Tendency FAQ

Understanding the concepts of Character and World Tendency is vital to playing Demon's Souls and, particularly, to obtaining all of its trophies. I've compiled this FAQ in hopes of keeping all of the information relevant to these concepts in one place, and diminishing the game's steep learning curve for those new to the game. Constructive criticism would be appreciated, acted upon and, of course, credited.

Post 1: FAQ

Post 2: Unique Black World Tendency Events

Post 3: Unique White World Tendency Events

Post 4: Tendency-Dependent Item List

Character Tendency FAQ

Q: What is Character Tendency?

A: Character Tendency is analogous to the various ‘character alignment’ systems seen in games such as Fallout 3, Infamous and most of Bioware’s games (KOTOR, Jade Empire, Mass Effect, etc.). It operates completely independently from World Tendency, and carries over to subsequent playthroughs.

Q: How does Character Tendency affect gameplay?

A:

White Character Tendency:

• Talk to the Monumental with Pure White Character Tendency (PWCT) to receive the Friend’s Ring
  • Increases Attack power while in Soul Form.

Neutral Character Tendency:

• Maximum HP in Soul Form reduced to 95% (stacks with World Tendency)

Black Character Tendency:

• With Pure Black Character Tendency (PBCT) and after rescuing and killing Yurt, who is found in a cage surrounded by Augites of Guidance in Tower of Latria (3-2) and drops the Gloom Armor Set when killed, Mephistopheles appears on 2nd floor of The Nexus. Mephistopheles tasks you with the assassinations of several NPCs -- a quest line that ultimately results in the acquisition of several valuable items, including the rare Foe's Ring. Note that it is best to tackle this quest line as late in the game as is practical, as several of the assassination targets are vital NPCs, whose demise will make your journey a great deal more difficult.
  • Maximum HP in Soul Form reduced to 90% (stacks with World Tendency)

Q: How do I affect Character Tendency?

A:

Towards Pure White:

• Defeat invading Black Phantoms
  • Defeat certain named NPC Black Phantoms (Miralda, Scirvir, Rydell, Satsuki, Selen) (PBWT only)

Towards Pure Black:

• Successfully kill a host as an invading Black Phantom
  • Successfully kill the other player when summoned by the Old Monk (3-3)
  • Kill harmless NPCs while in Soul Form (between 4 and 5 will take you from PWCT to PBCT)

Note that killed NPCs will be absent for the remainder of your playthrough. Killing Dregling (1-1, 1-2, 1-3), Filthy Man (2-1, 2-2), Once Royal Mistress (3-1), Graverobber Blige (4-1, 4-2), Filthy Woman (5-1, 5-2), Blue Phantom NPC (Nexus) and, after getting what you need from them, Acolyte of God (Nexus), Worshipper of God (Nexus) or Freke’s Apprentice (Nexus) will have little effect on your gameplay, whereas killing Saint Urbain, Sage Freke or Yuria could have more drastic consequences.

Q: How do I tell what my Character Tendency is?

A: Select the World Tendency menu option and note the statue in the center of the screen. While glowing white, your Character Tendency is White; while darkened, your Character Tendency is Black. Unfortunately, there is no surefire way of telling whether or not your Character Tendency is Pure White or Pure Black, other than talking to the Monumental to see if she’ll give you the Friend’s Ring or checking the 2nd floor of The Nexus to see if Mephistopheles has appeared, respectively.

World Tendency FAQ

Q: What is World Tendency?

A: Like your character, each of the game’s Worlds has a Tendency. They operate completely independently from Character Tendency, and carry over to subsequent playthroughs.

Q: How does World Tendency affect gameplay?

A:

Black World Tendency:

• Enemies have more HP, deal more damage and drop more souls when killed
  • Enemies drop more upgrade stones and fewer healing items
  • Black Phantom versions of enemies appear in some areas
  • Named NPC Black Phantoms and Primeval Demons appear in some areas
  • Unique World Tendency events

White World Tendency:

• Enemies have less HP, deal less damage, drop less souls when killed
  • Enemies drop more healing items and fewer upgrade stones
  • Unique World Tendency events

Q: How do I affect World Tendency?

A:

Towards Black:

• Die while in Body Form
  • Kill the Body Form of Miralda, Scirvir, Rydell, Satsuki or Selen – even if they attack you first
  • Kill Old King Doran (killing him by Poison Cloud or Death Cloud does not affect WT)

Towards White:

• Kill a boss
  • Kill named NPC Black Phantoms
  • Defeat Primeval Demons

To Pure Black:

• While in body form, commit suicide in the World you want to alter the Tendency of
  • Use a Stone of Ephemeral Eyes to regain Body Form
  • Repeat 7 times to get from Pure White to Pure Black World Tendency

From Pure Black To Pure White (requires having at least one boss alive):

• Find and kill the named NPC Black Phantom of the world:
    • Boletarian Palace, (1-1): Miralda
    • Stonefang Tunnel (2-2): Scircir
    • Tower of Latria (3-1): Rydell
    • Shrine of Storms (4-1): Satsuki
    • Valley of Defilement (5-2): Selen

[*] Without returning to The Nexus, kill the Primeval Demon (videos courtesy of YouTube user byakokoko):

• Boletarian Palace (1-3)
      [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrvpx6w4jfc]YouTube - Demon's Souls Primeval Demon location - Boletarian Palace[/ame]
    • Stonefang Tunnel (2-1)
      [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf_NcpLajS8]YouTube - Demon's Souls Primeval Demon location - Stonefang Tunnel[/ame]
    • Tower of Latria (3-2)
      [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZJd1qv1Xeo]YouTube - Demon's Souls Primeval Demon location - Tower of Latria[/ame]
    • Shrine of Storms (4-2)
      [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBoZTAA1DNw]YouTube - Demon's Souls Primeval Demon location - Shrine of Storms[/ame]
    • Valley of Defilement (5-2)
      [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9B0eWVSD994]YouTube - Demon's Souls Primeval Demon location - Valley of Defilement[/ame]

[*] Finally, killing a boss in that same World will place you at Pure White World Tendency

From Software World Tendency Events: From Software has organized several themed World Tendency Events, which have temporarily shifted the World Tendency for those playing the game online. For example, World Tendencies have shifted to Pure Black for Halloween 2009, Pure White for Winter Solstice 2009, and both for the week of Valentine's Day 2010.

Q: How do I avoid affecting World Tendency?

A: Dying in Soul Form has no effect on World Tendency, so whenever you regain Body Form, return to The Nexus and commit suicide. Dying in The Nexus has no Tendency-related repercussions, just don't forget to collect the souls from your bloodstain afterward.

Q: How do I tell what my World Tendency is?

A: Much like Character Tendency, there is no way to definitively tell what your World Tendency is, but in the World Tendency menu option, the shade of the archstones will indicate whether you're leaning towards Black or White. Some events only occur during the Pure World Tendencies and seeing whether or not those are taking place are the only surefire way to tell whether or not you're at Pure Black or Pure White.

Edited by jqtaxpayer

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unique Black World Tendency Events

Boletarian Palace (1-1):

• The gate to the left of the archstone unlocks, granting access to Crystal Geckos and a building housing Black Phantom Miralda, who drops the Guillotine Axe when killed, and the Brushwood Armor Set.
  • Two unnamed Black Phantoms appear near the Red-Eyed Knight.

Boletarian Palace (1-2):

• Two unnamed Black Phantoms appear shortly before the Tower Knight archstone.

Boletarian Palace (1-3):

• Two unnamed Black Phantom Fat Officials appear after the encounter with the Red-Eyed Knight.
  • Primeval Demon appears (see video in first post).

Stonefang Tunnel (2-1):

• A total of four unnamed Black Phantoms appear throughout the level.

Stonefang Tunnel (2-2):

• Black Phantom Scirvir appears, who drops the Talisman of Beasts when killed.
  • A total of three Black Phantom Bear Bugs appear throughout the level.

Tower of Latria (3-1):

• Black Phantom Rydell appears outside of his cell, who drops the Phosphorescent Pole when killed.
  • A total of three unnamed Black Phantoms appear throughout the level.

Tower of Latria (3-2):

• A total of three Black Phantom Celebrity Vermin ("Face Bugs") appear throughout the level.

Shrine of Storms (4-1):

• Black Phantom Satsuki appears, drops Hiltless when killed.
  • A total of three Black Phantom Silver Skeletons and two Black Phantom Golden Skeletons appear throughout the level.

Shrine of Storms (4-2):

• Two Black Phantom Golden Skeletons and one Black Phantom Dual-Katana Skeleton appear after the second Reaper encounter.

Valley of Defilement (5-1):

• Black Phantom Goblins appear throughout the level.

Valley of Defilement (5-2):

• Black Phantom Selen Vinland appears, who drops Blind when killed.
  • A total of three Black Phantom Giant Goblins appear throughout the level.

Edited by jqtaxpayer

Unique White World Tendency Events

Boletarian Palace (1-1):

• The gate to the left of the archstone unlocks, granting access to Crystal Geckos and a building housing NPC Miralda, Brushwood Armor Set and a Colorless Demon Soul. Note that killing Miralda in Body Form will push your World Tendency towards Black.
  • Red and Blue Dragons disappear

Stonefang Tunnel (2-2):

• Show Scirvir the Dragon Bone Smasher to receive a Pure Greystone

Stonefang Tunnel (2-3):

• The debris blocking the left-side path to the Dragon Bone Smasher is cleared

Tower of Latria (3-1):

• Rescue NPC Rydell with the Cell Key found in 3-2 for a Dull Rat’s Ring.
  • Debris blocking 2F path to Three-Cornered Hat and Venerable Sage’s Armor Set is cleared.
  • 2F area containing Parrying Dagger, Rogue’s Armor Set and 2 Chunks of Mercury Stone is accessible.

Tower of Latria (3-2):

• A bridge to the Cell Key used to rescue Rydell appears on top of the tower where you release the first brazier chain.

Shrine of Storms (4-1):

• NPC Satsuki appears near the archstone looking for Magic Sword ‘Makoto’. Having the sword while encountering him will result in him attacking you; killing him pushes your World Tendency towards Black. Note that avoiding this encounter has no effect on trophy progress.

Shrine of Storms (4-2):

• Magic Sword ‘Makoto’ accessible in the pit that Patches kicks you into.

Valley of Defilement (5-1):

• A ladder leading to the Istarelle appears before the first Giant Goblin.

Valley of Defilement (5-2):

• NPC Selen Vinland appears after the first fog gate, providing a side quest that results in the Ring of Devout Prayer.

Valley of Defilement (5-3):

• Black Phantom Garl Vinland appears after killing Maiden Astraea; when killed, he drops the Bramd and Crest of Vinland (given to NPC Selen Vinland in 5-2 with PWWT in exchange for the Ring of Devout Prayer).

Edited by jqtaxpayer

Tendency-Dependent Item List

This list is not exhaustive; it focuses entirely on items related to the acquisition of the "Soldier's Trophy" and "Rogue's Trophy" trophies that require the manipulation of Character or World Tendency.

Pure White Character Tendency:

• Friend's Ring (Nexus, The Monumental)

Pure Black Character Tendency:

• Foe's Ring (Nexus, Mephistopheles Side Quest Reward)
  • Talisman of Beasts (Nexus, Mephistopheles Side Quest Reward)

Pure Black OR Pure White World Tendency:

• Large Brushwood Shield (1-1) +

+ Biorr also drops a 'Large Brushwood Shield' when killed (1-X).

Pure Black World Tendency

• Guillotine Axe (1-1)
  • Talisman of Beasts (2-2)
  • Phosphorescent Pole (3-1)
  • Hiltless (4-1)
  • Blind (5-2)

Pure White World Tendency:

• Dragon Bone Smasher (2-3)
  • Dull Rat's Ring (3-1)
  • Magic Sword 'Makoto' (4-2)
  • Istarelle (5-1)
  • Ring of Devout Prayer (5-2) ++
  • Bramd (5-3)

++ Saint Urbain also drops this ring when killed. Additionally, Sparkly the Crow (4-1) will exchange one for a 'Large Sword of Moonlight'.

It's also worth noting that killing a Primeval Demon, which are found exclusively in Pure Black World Tendency, is one of the requirements for obtaining the Recovery Miracle, which is required for the "Saint's Trophy" trophy. See the videos in the first post for locations of the Primeval Demons.

Edited by jqtaxpayer

Thanks for the heads up jqtaxpayer. I think I messed up though because I died in 1-2 in Body form. So now that I'm in Soul form I can just continue as I was right?

Sure -- basically, so long as you've got one boss left, haven't killed the World's unique NPC Black Phantom and haven't killed the World's Primeval Demon, there's no problem.

For Boletarian Palace, for instance:

• Kill at least Phalanx (1-1) and Tower Knight (1-2).
  • Get Pure Black World Tendency by dying several times in Body Form.
  • While in Soul Form, kill Black Phantom Miralda.
    • Take the Guillotine Axe she drops.
    • Take at least the Large Brushwood Shield from the building from which Miralda emerged.

[*] Without returning to The Nexus, kill the Primeval Demon in 1-3. It's not a problem if you die as you'll be in Soul Form.

[*] Return to The Nexus if necessary.

[*] While in Soul Form, kill a boss (Penetrator or, if you killed Penetrator as well, False King).

Following those steps, you'll be at Pure White World Tendency.

Keep in mind that the game requires more than one playthrough, so if you screw it up on your first, you'll have more chances to make it right.

Sure -- basically, so long as you've got one boss left, haven't killed the World's unique NPC Black Phantom and haven't killed the World's Primeval Demon, there's no problem.

For Boletarian Palace, for instance:

• Kill at least Phalanx (1-1) and Tower Knight (1-2).
  • Get Pure Black World Tendency by dying several times in Body Form.
  • While in Soul Form, kill Black Phantom Miralda.
    • Take the Guillotine Axe she drops.
    • Take at least the Large Brushwood Shield from the building from which Miralda emerged.

[*] Without returning to The Nexus, kill the Primeval Demon in 1-3. It's not a problem if you die as you'll be in Soul Form.

[*] Return to The Nexus if necessary.

[*] While in Soul Form, kill a boss (Penetrator or, if you killed Penetrator as well, False King).

Following those steps, you'll be at Pure White World Tendency.

Keep in mind that the game requires more than one playthrough, so if you screw it up on your first, you'll have more chances to make it right.

Ok I finally understand something for this game :D lol. Question though, in order to kill myself in body form I have to get my body right? How can I keep going into body form so I can kill myself over & over? I know you can get your body back by Killing Bosses & using that rare (is it rare?) item. So is there another way.

Also I was reading the wiki and it said while playing online, it could effect the WT? Should I play offline?

Ok I finally understand something for this game :D lol. Question though, in order to kill myself in body form I have to get my body right? How can I keep going into body form so I can kill myself over & over? I know you can get your body back by Killing Bosses & using that rare (is it rare?) item. So is there another way.

Also I was reading the wiki and it said while playing online, it could effect the WT? Should I play offline?

Helping another player defeat a boss as a Blue Phantom will also allow you to regain Body Form. Stones of Ephemeral Eyes aren't exactly rare, though they're far from common. Throughout the course of the game you'll end up with plenty. I recommend getting used to the game's mechanics before delving into Pure Black World Tendency, however, as the game does get quite a bit harder.

Apparently some individuals have had some issues with World Tendency resetting while playing online. That being said, I played online the whole time and still ended up with the platinum trophy. Per the Wiki's suggestion, I never quit my game while in The Nexus, but if you're still having problems with World Tendency resetting, it's something you may want to consider.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Now I'm having trouble. I need the Bramd where he (Garl Vinland) only drops it as a Black Phantom in PBWT. Now I already killed the Primeval Demon but on my 7+ playthrough I had to stay revived but died a couple of times. I ended up with Neutral World tendency and need to kill Garl Vinland and get that exclusive weapon. My question is it says he has to be dead. If you kill him and go back to the Nexus and get PWWT and go back will it still work? Or do you have to kill normal Garl vinland with PWWT? And if you have to kill Vinland with PWWT can you tell me that "Winter Solice 2009" is that for Christmas or New Years?

• 2 months later...

I've killed all the demons will I have to wait for my next playthrough to be able to change the world tendancy to white?

Another question, is there any other way of changing ct from black to white without killing bp or invaders, maybe in another playthrough?

Edited by JPClyde

• 2 weeks later...

If you kill the physical form of one of the NPCs that becomes a named black phantom (Miralda, Scirvir, Rydell, Satsuki or Selen) will the black phantom form still appear in pure black world conditions? I guess my question applies to the inverse of that as well (if you kill the bp will the npc be there when pbwc turns to pwwc). I am starting a female character soon and I am interested in Miralda's armor, but would also like to be able to accomplish pure black and pure white in one playthrough.

Note that killed NPCs will be absent for the remainder of your playthrough. Killing Dregling (1-1, 1-2, 1-3), Filthy Man (2-1, 2-2), Once Royal Mistress (3-1), Graverobber Blige (4-1, 4-2), Filthy Woman (5-1, 5-2), Blue Phantom NPC (Nexus) and, after getting what you need from them, Acolyte of God (Nexus), Worshipper of God (Nexus) or Freke’s Apprentice (Nexus) will have little effect on your gameplay, whereas killing Saint Urbain, Sage Freke or Yuria could have more drastic consequences.

Can I kill Disciple of God too before I save Saint Urbain . He is useless once i bought all the miracles from him

I read that e will disappeared after I rescue Saint Urbain.Disciple of God - Demon's Souls English Wiki

Just to be sure: I've beaten the world 4 and got PW WT for it. But I died (stupidly, I forget to suicide in Nexus...) in body form while farming in the last level, so PW WT has gone away. If I turn WT to PB (by diying in body form several times) to get the BP and all stuff associated to PBWT, I won't be able to return to PW as long as I killed all the boss right ? BP give +3 to WT (and according to wiki there is only one PB in this world, the Satsuki's one), Primeval demon +3 too, so I'm missing a point to reach PW (+4) or is there something I miss for this world ?

Edited by Ludalovitch

• 2 weeks later...

You can tell what your character tendency is with the northern regalia

Check if your leaning towards white or black in the start menu, then check the bonus of the northern regalia

The bonuses are 27, 54, 81?,108?,135

I know for sure that 27 is 1 away from neutral, and 135 is pure black/white tendency. The other two are what i think the bonuses were.

Edited by Drak36

Just to be sure: I've beaten the world 4 and got PW WT for it. But I died (stupidly, I forget to suicide in Nexus...) in body form while farming in the last level, so PW WT has gone away. If I turn WT to PB (by diying in body form several times) to get the BP and all stuff associated to PBWT, I won't be able to return to PW as long as I killed all the boss right ? BP give +3 to WT (and according to wiki there is only one PB in this world, the Satsuki's one), Primeval demon +3 too, so I'm missing a point to reach PW (+4) or is there something I miss for this world ?

Yah killing both the primeval demon and named black phantom for a world without leaving puts you 1 point away from PWWT. Satsuki can deal some serious damage so watch out.

Great Thread.

I bought the game a few days ago and I'm really enjoying it.

But I also have two questions regarding the WT (as I would like to complete them in my first playthrough).

1.) The same question as 'dralith' (because I can't see the reply to that): Will the NPCs appear in PWWT after I killed them in BP form in PBWT?

2.) After getting PBWT do I have to kill the BP and the Primeval Demon in one run? Because if I return to the Nexus the WT will change and the BP/PD won't be there anymore, am I right? And what of the last remaining (Arch-)Demon? Can I return to the Nexus before attempting to kill it?

Thx in advance.

Great Thread.

I bought the game a few days ago and I'm really enjoying it.

But I also have two questions regarding the WT (as I would like to complete them in my first playthrough).

1.) The same question as 'dralith' (because I can't see the reply to that): Will the NPCs appear in PWWT after I killed them in BP form in PBWT?

2.) After getting PBWT do I have to kill the BP and the Primeval Demon in one run? Because if I return to the Nexus the WT will change and the BP/PD won't be there anymore, am I right? And what of the last remaining (Arch-)Demon? Can I return to the Nexus before attempting to kill it?

Thx in advance.

1.) I have confirmed that the NPC does appear in PWWT even if you kill their BP in PBWT.

2.) Yes, you have to kill the BP and the Primeval Demon both without returning to the Nexus. If you don't then the one you did not kill will not be there when you return and you won't be able to push the world to PWWT because the bosses alone won't be enough (plus you will miss out on either the BP drop or the Colorless Demon's Soul from the Primeval)

Hi a couple questions. It is a lot to take in at first but once you get through a lot of the game it begins to make sense. But here arises the problem:

I have beat all bosses but the blue dragon and whoever is left in 1-4 (i have managed to not be spoilt as of yet). So is it impossible to bring PBWT to PWWT by just eliminating the BP and the Primevil demon. Do you need to beat one of the main arch demons too?

Baring that being impossible is it worth trying or should i just wait till playthrough 3 (when things start to level out difficulty wise)