I hate Chunks of Cloudstone so much.

jsapper

Ok, I know that you don't know me, probably don't care, and really like it when new members avoid making there first post as new threads... let alone whiny ones, but I am honestly irritated.

I have been playing through the game with help from the Demon's Souls wiki on Wikidot.com and the information on your website. It hasn't been that bad. The game is enjoyable and rewarding once you get past the part where anything and everything will kill you.

The game has chugged along for me through four playthroughs, and if I weren't an idiot, which sadly I am. I am a huge idiot. I would have the chunks of cloudstone necessary to make a +5 Dark shield of some variety or another, but I didn't loot the body in 4-3 that has two of them on him in each of my playthroughs. There are all of three chunks in my bank and I have spent the last four hours farming 4-3 with LSoS and PBWT only to get 99 shards and no chunks in return.

Is it impatient of me to just want to throw the controller at the wall and give up on this trophy? Sure, I'd be one away from going platinum; with only +5 Fatal Weapon holding me back, but honestly how much do I like this game (farming mantas being 1/20 of my overall playtime now), and is it really necessary...

Ok. We both know that I am not kidding anyone here. It's absolutely necessary. I'm a dork and I have to platinum this game. The real trouble is that regardless of the frustration that farming causing, I know that if I actually traded for them I'd feel dirty. Not that playing the same area for four hours in a row with no reward doesn't also make me feel a bit dirty, but trading... man, I just can't do it.

So does anyone have any tips or tricks to get these darn things to drop or should I just get extremely drunk, put on some music, and slog through it?

UPDATE: I got them to drop and the marrowstone too. The items didn't drop until I turned the game off and played it offline. I don't know if that effects drop rates, but it did magic for me. I just platinum'd and now I just have to hope that I like FFXIII.

Edited by jsapper
small update

For anyone else who has this problem, if you keep 99 shards of cloudstone in your inventory (not with Thomas but actually on you), then the chunks in 4-3 will drop much more frequently. I was getting three per run through after I found this out.

i will try this sometime and see what this does..Hopefully lt helps

• 8 months later...

This whole thread as been helpful for getting the last 3 chunks of cloudstone that I needed. Having PDWT and then the 99 shards of cloudstone on me really boosted the percentage of getting the chunks after killing Stormruler.

Right after I read through the thread I went back to the game and voila! a chunk. Went in again, and another came. The 3rd one required a bit more repeats of the Stormruler area before I got it however.

:applause:Big shout to pacman919 and the others for confirming it. It's awesome!!:applause:

For anyone else who has this problem, if you keep 99 shards of cloudstone in your inventory (not with Thomas but actually on you), then the chunks in 4-3 will drop much more frequently. I was getting three per run through after I found this out.
this barely made a difference when I did it. I think it's just one of those smelly-jock-socks-in-your-locker-to-help-you-win-the-big-game mind tricks that's supposed to boost your luck.

it didn't take as long as the pure blade stone for me, but the at least with the pure blade stone I was gaining massive exp. be prepared to grind for this one.

I just platinum'd and now I just have to hope that I like FFXIII.
Congrats with the plat.I felt very proud platting this game, it's my favorite this gen.

good luck with FFXIII. I hated that game.

Edited by Kzone3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hate to give this a good bumping but.. Thanks for starting this. You shouldn't ever get flamed for starting a thread on something (aslong as its relevant and not already been made) because questions get asked and answered and it really helps people out. I got the chunk after a few goes using this method, so it saved me hours trying. Surely if we share our problems and mistakes everybody wins. Slightly hippy view but there we go. Thanks.

I'm wondering if there's some kind of prerequisite to increase the rate for these insanely crazy drops.

I just got Pure Bladestone after an hours grind, the only change I made from previous attempts was I killed the sales npc at 4.2 and didn't kill the reaper, not sure if this had any effect on the pure dropping, or total dumb luck as it was a case of my last attempt (due to boredom and running out of arrows killing the reaper).

I still need 2 other pure's and chunks but least I know these things do drop given time.

Is it a crazy theory to think that something went wrong with the translation from the original to English ? some of the puzzles have been so random like wearing the fat officers hat. Maybe the sales npc for that bladestone area was meant to say something like "its lucky I'm alive with that reaper hanging around, who knows what rare occurrences would happen if that changed."

Chunk of Cloudstone was the most annoying to farm, but now you just need one of it, which is a treasure in 4-4 and the rest you can just duplicate to get. If you don't duplicate, you must do 3 and a half playthroughs, and if you pick up every Chunk of Cloudstone by then, you will have the trophy within a reasonable distance.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
BTW, I'd be more than happy to help anyone in this thread with cloudstones.

stokesvilleking

NA version

SL 140

Same to mine. Even got at least three Pure Cloudstones, but not the Chunk of Cloudstones. Anytime you wish t drop the blue sign, drop it at the Old Hero Archstone.

• 1 month later...

The chunks of cloudstone are far worse that the pure bladestone for me. If trying to farm it on one playthrough.

EDIT: However, if you are going to legitimately platinum this game you will be able to get 8 chunks via the dead body near the cliffs over the course of 3.5 playthroughs (loot 4 times) and since it pays to have PBWT when farming the crystal lizards for the Pure Darkmoonstone, you are likely to get at least one from the storm beasts.

Edited by Furious Gargoyle

• 1 month later...