Character Builds

Phorus

Character Builds

I have searched around the forums and nobody has created a thread for how to create your character. As an rpg demons souls can be played in a number of ways and there is no right or wrong way to play it.

Here is a guide on character builds i am an experienced player

Assassin Build Soul Level 250

Origin - Royal

Gender - Personal preference (I choose Female as i can level up quicker)

Soul Level - 1

Starting Stats and Equipment

Vitality - 8

Willpower - 12

Endurance - 8

Strength - 9

Dexterity - 12

Magic - 13

Faith - 12

Luck -7

Equipment

Silver Coronet/Wizard armour, Silver Catalyst, Buckler Shield, Rapier, Fragrant Ring

Final stats and equipment

Vitality - 99

Willpower - 25

Endurance - 40

Strength - 22

Dexterity -99

Magic -20

Faith -18

Luck -7

Spells

Poison cloud

Acid cloud

Hide

Miracle

One time revival

Rings

Graverobber Ring

Thief's Ring

Armour

Normal hood

Binded Cross

Binded Gauntlet

Binded Boots

Weapons

LH1 - Dark Silver Shield +5

LH2 - Silver Catalyst

RH1 - Viscous Compound longbow +5/white arrows

RH2 - Tearing Uchigatana +5

Backup weapon - Scraping Spear

This build is very strong i will explain the strengths of the build. With the Graverobber and Thief's ring equipped stacked with the spell hide any invading black phantoms will not be able to see you therefore you can make your invader paranoid as you could be anywhere.

Your main arsenal is the Viscous compound longbow +5 and the Tearing Uchigatana +5. The Uchigatana adds damage based upon your dexterity. The Viscous is very deadly allowing you to inflict severe damage without detection.

This build can be a pain in the ass for players who wear armour, most invaders will not carry any items which can heal them from poison use this to your advantage remember if an enemy is poisoned all items which replenish health now only refill half. So if you get 50 health back from a crescent moon grass and you are then poisoned if you heal again you only get 25 health back.

Acid cloud can be devastating to anybody wearing armour as this will erode the durability of your invaders armour and equipment combined with attacks from the scraping spear and you will break there armour and equipment very quickly leaving them vulnerable to your attacks.

The armour used here is both light and strong using this armour you will not incur any stamina regeneration penalty therefore your stamina will refill at the same rate people who wear heavy armour will face a penalty.

You can duel wield with this build in particular but you will need to change the Dark Silver Shield for either another Tearing Uchigatana +5 or a Sharp Uchigatana +5. It isn't necessary to duel wield but playing this way will be more challenging to the player as you have no shield.

Edited by Phorus

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Magician Build Soul Level 250

Origin - Royal

Gender - Personal Preference (I choose Female)

Soul Level - 1

Final Stats and Equipment

Vitality - 70

Willpower - 70

Endurance - 40

Strength - 18

Dexterity - 18

Magic - 79

Faith - 18

Luck - 18

Equipment

Silver Coronet/Monk's Headwrap (Personal preference Silver Coronet)

Binded Cross

Binded gauntlet

Binded Boots

Magic

Firestorm

Soul Light

Total Protection

Miracle

One time revival

LH1 - Crescent/Moon uchigantana +5

LH2 - Kris Knife +5

RH1 - Dark Silver Shield +5

RH2 - Talisman of Beasts

Rings

Ring Of Magical Sharpness

Cling Ring

This build is equally as powerful as the previous build. With Kris knife +5 combined with the Ring of Magical Sharpness and the magic adjustment provided by the Talisman your spells will be dealing massive damage to anyone.

Many players prefer One tme revival over Total protection as you can't use them both if you cast one time revival you will be unable to cast the protection until you have been killed and revived. However if an invader uses anti-magic field most will see you as an easy target but with the Crescent or Moon uchigatana maxed out with the total protection you will be a force to be reckoned with.

Edited by Phorus

Melee Build Soul level 250

Origin - Templar Knight

Gender - Personal preference (I choose Female)

Starting Soul Level - 4

Vitality - 11

Willpower - 8

Endurance - 13

Strength - 14

Dexterity - 12

Magic - 6

Faith - 13

Luck - 7

Halberd

Heater Shield

Talisman of God

Mirdan Helmet

Mirdan scale armour

Mirdan gauntlet

Mirdan leggings

Final Stats and Equipment

Vitality -99

Willpower - 40

Endurance - 40

Strength - 34

Dexterity - 18

Magic - 22

Faith - 18

Luck - 99

Equipment

LH1 - Blueblood Sword

LH2 - Talisman of beasts

RH1 - Purple Flame Shield +10

RH2 - Empty

Armour

Dark Silver Armour/Binded Armour

Magic

Light/Cursed weapon

Total protection

Soul light

Miracle

One time revival

This build is as powerful as any in terms of the damage you will be able to do through the Blueblood and enchanting the sword with cursed or light weapon will dramatically enhance its power. The luck stat greatly improves the sword's base damage therefore at 99 you can really dish it out.

As a melee character you will be in close combat with your enemies therefore total protection is vital to your survival especially in future playthroughs and in pvp. Soul light is a great asset for piercing through multiple enemies.

Dark silver or Binded armour will ensure that your survivability is prolonged. I would strongly advise players who wish to follow these builds make it your aim to have 99 new moon grass as this will heal you fully and if your a magic user old spice is best however for this build fresh spice is adaquate.

The purple flame shield when fully upgraded is one of the best shields in the game and offers excellent protection against physical and fire attacks.

Edited by Phorus

Tanker/Melee Soul level 250

Origin - Templar Knight

Gender - Personal preference (I choose female)

Starting Soul level - 4

Final Statistics and Equipment

Vitality - 99

Willpower - 40

Endurance - 80

Strength - 40

Dexterity - 18

Magic - 20

Faith - 18

Luck - 18

Equipment

Brushwood helm

Brushwood armour

Brushwood gauntlet

Brushwood boots

LH1 - Meat Cleaver

LH2 - Silver Catalyst

RH1 - Tower Shield

RH2 - Talisman of God

Magic

Light/Cursed weapon

Total Protection

Miracle

One time revival

Rings

Ring of Great Strength

Cling Ring

This build can deal insane damage as the meat cleaver is one of the most powerful weapons in the game. Enchanted with either Light or Cursed Weapon and you will be dealing damage into the 1000 mark depending on your character tendency.

This build is difficult to beat with the heavy armour you are using you have great protection against attacks although the armour is heavy the ring of great strength will allow you to roll with even the tower shield equipped a shield which weigh's 30.0.

With the Total protection on and your already impressive stats given from your armour you will be a formidable opponent. If anybody needs advice on a character they are making and want my opinion either pm me or reply on this thread.

Edited by Phorus

Ninja Build Soul level 250

Origin - Wanderer

Gender - Personal preference (I choose female)

Starting Soul Level - 6

Vitality - 10

Willpower - 10

Endurance - 11

Strength - 11

Dexterity - 15

Magic - 9

Faith - 7

Luck - 13

Equipment

Falchion

Dagger

Wooden Shield

Leather armour

Leather gloves

Hard leather boots

Final Statistics and Equipment

Vitality - 80

Willpower - 30

Endurance - 40

Strength - 18

Dexterity -99

Magic - 30

Faith -20

Luck - 13

LH1 - Magic Sword Makato

LH2 - Insanity Catalyst

RH1 - Dark Silver Shield +5

RH2 - Morion Blade

Reserve weapon - Sharp uchigatana +5

Armour

Assassin hood/Normal hood

Binded cross

Binded gauntlet

Binded boots

Rings

Clever Rats Ring

Dull Rats Ring

Magic

Light/Cursed Weapon

Total Protection

Miracle

One time revival

This character design is more suited to experienced players as you will only have 50% of your maximum health in soul form however the sharp uchigatana +5 can be buffed with Light or Cursed weapon to improve damage coupled with the stat bonus from your dexterity you will be dealing serious damage to anyone within striking distance and then if you are in "Hyper mode" with morion blade and the clever rats ring adding to the damage you can expect damage over 1000 per hit dpending on the playthrough and your tendencies.

The insanity catalyst may half your maximum mana but as a ninja mana is not the highest priority as you will only need 100 mana so you can cast one time revival as this is the most expensive spell on the list.

Although most of these builds are using the Dark Silver Shield +5 this shield is great for pvp and its practicality is extremely useful as this shield can perform riposite moves if you have good timing a riposite is even more powerful then a backstab.

Plus the shield has 100% resistances to both physical and magical damage and i believe 70% resistance to fire making this a great all rounder.

Edited by Phorus

• 2 weeks later...

Faith/Dex Build Soul level 175

Origin - Templar Knight

Gender - Personal preference (I choose Female)

Stating soul level - 4

Final Statistics and equipment

Vitality 30

Willpower 30

Endurance 40

Strength 30

Dexterity 51

Magic 18

Faith 50

Luck 8

LH1 - Adjudicator Shield +5

LH2 - Viscous Compound longbow +5 (White Arrows)

RH1 - Blessed Great Sword +5

RH2 - Talisman of God

Reserve Weapon - Blessed Mirdan Hammer +5

Magic

Total Protection

Miracles

One time revival/Rage of God

Cure

Slow Recovery

Rings

Regenerator's Ring

Cling Ring

Armour

Helm - Brushwood

Body - Brushwood

Arm - Brushwood

Boots - Brushwood

This build is very strong but before i state the strengths i would like to thank the contributor Windforce this is similar to his Templar build. This build is all about high defensive power and health regeneration which is stacked with the Adjudicator shield +5, Blessed Great Sword +5 and the Regenerator's Ring.

Stacked together you will be healing around 10 health points per second however if you stack slow recovery you will get even more this can conserve healing items.

Most players believe the highest base damage from any weapon is the North Regalia with 540 with pure white or pure black tendency. However the Blessed Great Sword +5 is 548 and scales with faith stat this figure is from just 50 faith with 99 faith you will have a base damage around 600.

Then if you have less than 30% life with the clever rats ring on you will have a base damage of around 900.

Edited by Phorus

Just wanted to say that before checking this thread, I was plugging along, at SL 130, not using my Colorless Demon's Souls and barely leveling my equipment.

After reading your input on the Magician build and finally using those souls, saw my damage reach ungodly levels with the Kris Knife +5. Didn't know it added so much damage to my spells at level 5, was just using a Kris Knife for added magic.

Thanks again :applause:

Your welcome remember if you want to improve the damage even further if you have a lot of willpower an Insanity Catalyst has a higher magic adjustment meaning your magic will be even more pumped up the only drawback is that your mana will be halfed as soon as the Insanity Catalyst is equipped.

If anyone has questions on how to make a certain build work please post below and i will guide you to the best of my knowledge.

Phorus,

Thanks for taking the time to add all of these builds here. I bought the game for my PS3 2 weeks ago, and I still haven't played it yet. I'm so nervous that I won't build my character correctly, and then I'll get destroyed by the opponents.

I don't get to play PS3 much, but this game looks real fun, and I'm definitely going to use one of your builds as my foundation. Would you have a good suggestion as a good starting character for me? I tend to like melee guys just because you don't have to know much about the game system to be successful. Anyways, let me know what you think?

It's ALL about your playstyle, Pearsbaby. If you find that you prefer a certain type of character, well BEFORE you start the game, just pick the closest class that resembles it. You'll try to utilize it, in each situation, to your best ability, and the more you play, the better you'll learn to focus on those aspects.

For example, I was rather fond on being a Mage in most RPGs. In Fable, I built myself with strong Will abilities, and engaged my enemies with a few casts of some AOE spells. In KOTOR I focused on my Force usage, and despite being Light Side oriented, I found it much easier to go into battle by opening up with Force Lightning. In Force Unleashed, I started out by increasing my Force Affinity, first. More Force Regen, more Force spamming.

The list goes on, but in essence, I would GENERALLY pick a "Mage" direction, in most RPGs, and play accordingly. Ironically, I chose a Wanderer in Demon's Souls, and stayed melee for the entirety of the game... But it just goes to show you that if you play to the situation, nothing's impossible.

But Phorus, I gotta ask you... The Hell is with your left-handed weapon wielding suggestion? I have found that to be NOTHING but useless. With certain weapons you're only allotted 1 attack (Eastern curved sword, for example, have this cool looking swing animation for L2, but it doesn't DO anything!!!) I tried out the precise equipment that you listed for your assassin, and didn't notice any difference in attack speeds. And not being able to block AT ALL, I just can't understand why you'd want to hold your shield in your right hand. Yes, several shields give you status affects... but you'd be better off 2 handing a weapon with the shield on your back.

Is there something I missed about your suggestion? Because from what I found, it was pointless to attempt... Nice Builds guide, otherwise.

I think you are referring to the faster attack with your weapon in your offhand or left. Yes i probably should have explained it better as this is typically for dual wielding i.e using a sword in both hands.

I will change the information accordingly as most players would prefer a weapon and a shield. Thanks for pointing that out.

As for the person who ask me what class you should take i would experiment with different classes to begin with try to get a feel for the character. If you like to play melee choose a templar knight or a knight these are both great classes for melee.

Whichever class you decide if you have any questions about your equipment like for instance if you don't want to waste your souls levelling up the wrong stats and you don't want to upgrade your standard equipment incase there is something better. Then PM me or write your questions here.

I will give you an example if i start as a royal class i begin the game with a standard rapier (curved sword) to be honest this is very weak so here is the path i take. After i have completed the tutorial level and defeated phalanx i invest my souls so i can wield a Crescent Falcion +1 which is found in 4-1 near the black skeleton.

Then as a royal i typically turn this character in to a mage so i pick up the uchigatana from 4-1 near vanguard and i upgrade the sword with splinters of sharpstone until i have an uchigatana +6. Once i turn this into a Moon uchigatana +1 this now becomes my primary weapon. Naturally this weapon's attack power rises based on your magic stat so i pump this up while farming for souls to buy more moonlight splinters etc..

Once i have the sword to +5 with moonlight if i have high magic power lets say 70 my sword will have a base damage of 416. This is very high but not the highest but i am a mage so my spells will be very powerful. With Kris Knife +5, Ring of magical sharpness and my magic i can be a powerful mage.

Edited by Phorus

Thanks for the guides, Phorus!

I've got a soul level 28 soldier right now, and my end-game goal is the tanker/melee build you posted. I've cleared 1-1, 1-2, and 2-1 so far. I'm currently using all the soldier's starting equipment (except I have the purple flame shield +3). How would you recommend for me to spend my stat points? I'm trying to get 26 str. and 16 faith as soon as possible so that I can use meat cleaver, but after that I'm a little lost. Thanks in advance!

Hello can you post your exact stats so i can see how you are progressing.

I would probably go on 4-1 and get the adjudicator's soul so you can upgrade a club to meat cleaver then i would go to 2-2 to get the club weapon and defeat flamelurker so you can give the red hot demons soul to blacksmith ed in 2-1. Doing this will allow you to forge weapons with the souls of the bosses.

The tower shield itself is very heavy so i would recommend you continue to upgrade the purple flame shield to +10 for the trophy and wait until you have enough endurance to roll comfortably with it equipped.

As for your armour gloom or dark silver is great until you can wear the brushwood armour as these 2 offer great protection. Once you have meat cleaver and descent armour i strongly recommend you get total protection this will take 2 magic slots and 50 mana to cast it.

Personally this is one of the top 4 spells in the entire game. To cast the spell you will need a catalyst i prefer the silver as you will get an extra 20% mana when you equip it.

Edited by Phorus

Here are my current stats:

Soul level- 26

Vitality - 20

Intelligence - 9

Endurance - 15

Strength - 23

Dexterity - 11

Magic - 8

Faith - 10

Luck - 10

I'm going to get strength up to 26, and then work on getting faith up to 16 so that I can equip meat cleaver (I need to clear 4-1 and 2-2 to do this as well). I'm also working on finding materials to upgrade my purple flame shield.

Where should I go from here? I know you mention getting total protection, but you said you need 2 magic slots to cast it. How do you unlock magic slots? Also, how should I allocate my stat points once I can wear meat cleaver? Thanks a ton!

Ok to learn a magic spell you need to have 10 magic or higher and a catalyst you can find a silver catalyst at the top of the first tower on 3-1. Also for your purple flame shield you can buy splinters from the vendor in 2-1 at the start he called Filthy man he will sell splinters for 500 souls each or you can go to the vendor in 2-2 who will sell splinters and large splinters but the large splinters will cost you 1500 souls each.

To unlock extra magic slots you will need to improve your intelligence to 14 to have 2 slots. The total protection spell can be learned by saving sage freke in 3-1 which requires a key to open it and the tower knights soul (Iron demon's soul).

As for your stats i would pump vitality and endurance as these are vital for the build especially as you need health to survive longer and the total protection will reduce the damage dealt to you for the duration of the spell and endurance will allow you to equip heavier armour and still have the freedom to roll.

anything else you think of epidemic just ask man

:applause: You've been a huge help, Phorus!

I've cleared 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 2-2, and 4-1 so far. I crafted the meat cleaver, and my purple flame shield is upgraded to +7. I've been farming souls in 4-2, and I was curious to hear what to do next. I've got 100k unspent souls, and my current stats are:

Vitality - 20

Willpower - 9

Endurance - 16

Strength - 26

Dexterity - 12

Magic - 8

Faith - 16

Luck - 10

I noticed in the guide for the tanker/melee build you suggest picking up one time revival as your miracle. I was wondering what you thought about evacuate. You've got a lot more experience in this game than me, so I'd like to hear the reasoning behind picking up one time revival over evacuate. I'm also wondering (please forgive me for this, I'm a complete newbie to this game :)), but why does this build bring magic, faith, dex, and luck up to 18?

Also, how useful is total protection and cursed/light weapon? When do you cast these spells? The duration of the spells is relatively short, my character has low willpower, and he has no mana regeneration so I'll basically have to use a fresh spice/old spice every time I want to cast a buff?

From here, should I put points into vitality and endurance, or should I get intelligence up to 14 and magic up to 10 so that I can learn/use total protection? Once again, you've been a HUGE help, Phorus. Thank you! :applause:

Edited by Epidemic

Ok where shall i begin Evacuate is one of the best miracles in the game however this miracle is best used for farming as it transports you back to the nexus as long as you have enough mana left. If you transport you will not lose any souls in the process.

By all means learn evacuate as this will help for farming souls but when you are completing levels evacuate isn't as effective as one time revival as this spell can bring you back to life with half of your life if you die.

But be careful as you can't cast one time revival and total protection together. Ah ok the reason behind bringing your magic, dexterity and luck to 18 is so you can use the talisman of beasts this is a unique item which will allow you to cast both magic and miracles to use it effectively you will need 18 strength, dexterity, faith and luck.

Total protection is a fantastic spell for melee builds as all damage you will take is severely reduced for the duration of the spell . You should use this before bosses and any parts in level you find more difficult.

As for your mana yes you will have to pick up some fresh or old spice but you don't have to buy any you can always farm them. Fresh spice will refill your mana by 50 old spice will refill 100.

Light weapon/cursed weapon will add tremendous damage to your weapon so you can deal more damage to your your enemies. Yes do that man get your magic up to 10 and intelligence to 14 so you can learn the protection.

The most important stats for the build you wish to have is endurance, vitality. Strength and intelligence are also important to. Any more questions please post.

Edited by Phorus

Phorus and others,

So I started playing last night. I built 2 characters and did the tutorial level with both. One character is based on your "melee" build and the other I tried the "Assassin" build. I found that the Melee build was simple for me....hide behind the shield and kill everything in one or two blows. The "Assassin build was much more difficult. She was so nimble that I found that while controlling her, she kept turning away from the opponent. I did learn to "target" the opponent, but I still felt it difficult to keep her facing the direction of danger, in order to use her shield.

Do you have any advice here? Should she be dodging rather than using a shield?

Also, all this stuff you know about the game. What stats you need for what equipment, etc. Is all of that written anywhere, or have you memorized it all? I'd just like a good explanation of the "player's handbook" if there is one. Thanks man.

Demon's Souls English Wiki: Demon's Souls (video game)

This site is a great resource for Demon's Souls. As for the aiming / facing danger... The targeting system is a little finicky, at times. What seems like a higher priority target, to you, might not be selected, because something ELSE is "closer". This happens in the same spots, over and over, for the most part. But other than these relatively isolated incidents, the targeting system is simply the way to go. With enough practice, you'll eventually get the feel for the targeting system down, and learn how to cycle through enemies, while blocking, and thus changing your character's orientation, for maximum safety. The R3 thumbstick controls this cycling feature, so just give if a few flicks, when you're facing a crowd, to see how it works!

Yes everything i write is based on memory and experience however i do sometimes refer to the site snapGW mentioned to make sure i am correct as i have the asian version and i don't have a strategy guide which players with the US version have.

Yes the assassin should have a shield as well dark silver +5 unless you are duel wielding for instance equip your weapon in the right hand and attack then remove it and equip it in the left hand slot. Tell me what is faster attack i believe its the left.

Duel wielding with the correct equipment and stats can be very powerful but you need to have a great deal of ability as you have no shield.

Edited by Phorus

SnapGW and Phorus,

I think I'm psyching myself out here, but I feel like I don't know what I'm supposed to do. I've hit the first Archstone and I'm now in a world. Should I just go through and just start killing things. I'm not quite sure what I'm supposed to do, being that I'm in soul form.

Also, I've been reading about other players invading my world and trying to kill me, and I should be doing the same to get my body back. I just feel like I have a grasp on the concept of the game. But I'm really lacking knowledge on the most basic thing, which is basic concept.

I died in the tutorial which sent me to the nexus, is my goal to get back to my body somewhere, or to now co-op with someone else to help them acheive a boss kill so I can get my body back, or maybe try to go in as a black phantom (although I don't have that stone yet) to kill another player.

I think I need to just play and die a bunch to start to figure it out, but I hate playing a game like that. Any chance you guys could clear anything up for me?

Ok your goal is to clear the enemies and reach the boss and kill him if you kill him in soul form you will get your body back. The only difference between soul form and human form is that as a soul you don't make as much noise and you have less health but you do more damage as a soul.

You can only be invaded if you are in human form and signed in online. I wouldn't recommend invading as you will probably have limited success. As for co-op play once you have beated the first area of world 1 entitled Boletarian palace and you have talked to both the monumental and the maiden in black she will give you a blue eye stone this is what you must use if you wish to play in co-op. This can only be used in soul form.

As for the tutorial you are meant to die but the demon vanguard that killed you can be defeated you are rewarded with a few items and splinters or shards for your efforts.

As something of a "compliment" to Phorus's explanation, allow me to elaborate...

Judging from the reactions that players are having over the Tutorial, for some reason, people seem to think they've screwed up when Vanguard kills them. Maybe it was the cinematic approach the game shifted to, once Vanguard pancaked my ass, but I figured my death was intended. The fact is, while it IS possible to kill Vanguard in the Tutorial, your only reward is another area, which leads to your imminent death.

Because of his nature, the Blue Phantom in the Nexus (and the ONLY Blue Phantom NPC in the game) seems like he's "highlighted", and as such, he's typically the first stop for players once they arrive. When talking to him, he directs you to trying your luck with the Archstones. Basically, the game is telling you, "Now just go at it, and good luck!"

As for invasions, there are limitations to PVP. While you need to beat the first Boss (1-1, not Tutorial) to acquire the Blue Eyes Stone, and thus attempt Coop, the Black Eyes Stone, used for invading other worlds, is tougher to acquire. This item is only dropped by generic NPC BPs, and they appear once in each world: 1-4, 2-2, 3-1, 4-2, 5-2. The Black Eyes Stone is meant to be acquired later in the game, so being invaded immediately following getting revived after you kill Phalanx at the end of 1-1 are slim to none.

Don't worry about whether or not you're "alive" in the game, because that affects little. The biggest difference is the lower HP of Soul Form. BUT, depending on World Tendency, Soul Tendency, and gear, you receive different bonuses/penalties for Soul Form. There IS a correlation between World and Character (Soul) Tendency, and you're Soul Form's bonuses and penalties, but these correlations are poorly documented, so unfortunately I don't have any comprehensive lists for you. In short, you'll find out for yourself whether you prefer to play in Body or Soul Form.

Your "goal", plain and simple, is for you to decide. You can take any of the paths you mentioned, yourself. Anyone else has the same opportunity open to them. The most important thing to remember is there's a level threshold for players to interact with each other. Below Soul Level 100, you must be within 10 levels of each other. Above 100, it's raised to 25. You'll never be Soul Level 20 and get invaded by a 100, and you can't be summoned as a Blue Phantom by someone who's on NG+++++ if you're barely starting out. Whether you choose to play it solo, or coop, or competitive, the game will accommodate you.

SnapGW have you ever defeated vanguard in the tutorial before as you are rewarded with the following: 4 Full moon grass, 3 Renowned Soldiers Souls (worth 800 souls each when consumed), 3 Splinters of Hardstone, 3 Splinters of Sharpstone and the grey demons soul for defeating vanguard. Don't believe me here is a vid:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mcoG0CSQno&feature=related]YouTube - Demon's Souls - Tutorial Demon Fight[/ame]

Why i put this in because you state that your only reward for defeating vanguard is a new area which is incorrect.

Edited by Phorus