Clarification on Pure Bladestone drop please...

C3RAMburger

Hello Souls fans,

With my limited time to play I've been trying to Platinum this lovely game little by little, without duping, gifting, etc. I've read the wiki here and there along the way, but acquiring a PBS has become troublesome as many probably know.

So, a little background:

I'm playing offline of course, in PBWT, hair above neutral CT, level 179 with 30 Luck.

I'm at the end of NG+ run cleaning up item farming, etc. before the Old One and have racked up over 7 million souls between the BP skelly and the hidden passage normal one. Lost count on attempts but figure it's gotta be close to or over the 200 that should've yielded one Pure by now.

Have my run for the latter down to a minute or so with a Sharp +4 Claw equipped and casting Ignite a couple times, then Evacuating.

Does that "reset" the drop chance vs suiciding because you go back to Nexus? I want to use all those souls to level in NG++ so don't want to take chances losing them by accident or something.

I've read dozens of threads on "theories" behind this drop, and that high Luck/LSoS can actually prolong the process because they don't affect drop quality. Probably one of the game's biggest snafu's regarding design, since it defeats the purpose of leveling don't you think?! Too bad a patch never was made to tweak this.

I'm hoping that once I get 99 Chunks, I can carry all those along with 99 Shards to coax the game into yielding a Pure quicker, which worked for Cloudstone Chunks from Storm Beasts in 4-4.

In short, is this a drop that will happen eventually if you keep plugging away, or is it more cryptic and unpredictable?

Thanks for any helpful info!

Hello Souls fans,

With my limited time to play I've been trying to Platinum this lovely game little by little, without duping, gifting, etc. I've read the wiki here and there along the way, but acquiring a PBS has become troublesome as many probably know.

So, a little background:

I'm playing offline of course, in PBWT, hair above neutral CT, level 179 with 30 Luck.

I'm at the end of NG+ run cleaning up item farming, etc. before the Old One and have racked up over 7 million souls between the BP skelly and the hidden passage normal one. Lost count on attempts but figure it's gotta be close to or over the 200 that should've yielded one Pure by now.

Have my run for the latter down to a minute or so with a Sharp +4 Claw equipped and casting Ignite a couple times, then Evacuating.

Does that "reset" the drop chance vs suiciding because you go back to Nexus? I want to use all those souls to level in NG++ so don't want to take chances losing them by accident or something.

I've read dozens of threads on "theories" behind this drop, and that high Luck/LSoS can actually prolong the process because they don't affect drop quality. Probably one of the game's biggest snafu's regarding design, since it defeats the purpose of leveling don't you think?! Too bad a patch never was made to tweak this.

I'm hoping that once I get 99 Chunks, I can carry all those along with 99 Shards to coax the game into yielding a Pure quicker, which worked for Cloudstone Chunks from Storm Beasts in 4-4.

In short, is this a drop that will happen eventually if you keep plugging away, or is it more cryptic and unpredictable?

Thanks for any helpful info!

It's been since I played the game but it took me a week of playing around 3 hours a day for it to drop. So yes just keep plugging away as it will drop eventually. It sucks doing the same thing over and over but good luck! :)

I got mine pretty quickly (4-8 hours maybe). I did it in conjonction with Reaper farming, so i ended up OP as hell. Anyway, i think i used the items you mentioned, but in the end, it's all about luck. It will drop eventually. I've got more trouble with other stones as a matter of fact. Ended up dupe glitching (not ashamed one bit).

Also, i actually jumped off the cliff (90% sure about that) to make things faster. I died on my run and lost my souls for good a few times, but usually "banked" them when it reached a certain point.

Good luck to you. : /

Edited by The Governor

Thanks that's good to know. What were your levels approximately if you can remember?

I believe I was at around level 100 when I did it. It was a long time so I'm not completely sure though :/ Also like the person above me says, I jumped off the cliff after I killed the guy to make things go faster. Hope this helps and good luck on it! Hopefully you get it to drop sooner than later :)

I got it!!

http://i.imgur.com/NrIUFOy.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/dI7NyZy.jpg

Was audibly giddy when I saw it pop up on the screen; probably even more-so than getting the Demonslayer trophy on Elite in KZ2. As you can see by my Soul count and Chunk count, I've been at it a while. The best part about this was, after I got 99 Chunks, I loaded up on all of them along with Shards, and got the Pure on my second attempt thereafter. The first was either a Shard or Chunk, as it said I cannot carry anymore of this item.

Not sure if there's anything to it, but maxing previous grade items worked on both 4-4 Storm Beasts to get Cloudstone Chunks, and here in 4-2 to get the Pure Bladestone.

I used Ignite on the normal Black Skeleton in the hidden passage, and Evacuated to help ensure holding onto my souls.

What a relief.

Out of curiosity, did you get it just after reaching 99/99 with shards and chunks ?

Yup, second try after acquiring and carrying all 99/99 with me to the fight. In my experiences it seems to influence a higher drop more-so than not doing it. I didn't have them on me all the time though. I just loaded up from the Nexus once I got them all and the second trip to the hidden passage ended up getting the Pure.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have platinumed this game three times and it only ever took 2 hours all three times. The target is the Black Phantom Dual Katana Skelton NOT the other one in the secret passageway at the start. The drop rate is much higher.

First get PBWT. Make sure you have the soulsucker spell

Equip the LSOS and your talisman of beasts in the other remove all clothing but keep your bow & 400 heavy arrows. Thief's ring is also a must.

Start from the Old monk archstone and head back over the slug pits and through the exit. Snipe the Grim reaper at the top of the stairs.. Next run up and slow down until you see the Black Phantom dual katana skeleton facing away from you. You want to walk up behind him and soulsuck. You should be able to get close enough see about 3cm behind its right foot and your right knee. Then use Soulsuck. It will kill it in one hit if undetected. Loot the body then evacuate back to the nexus. It takes about 30 seconds for one run.

While farming this, up your luck each time when you exit back to the nexus. Each time my luck was about 40 I got it. I kept 99 shards on me as well. Chunks I only ever got around 18-20.

Edited by Furious Gargoyle

• 2 weeks later...
I have platinumed this game three times and it only ever took 2 hours all three times. The target is the Black Phantom Dual Katana Skelton NOT the other one in the secret passageway at the start. The drop rate is much higher.

First get PBWT. Make sure you have the soulsucker spell

Equip the LSOS and your talisman of beasts in the other remove all clothing but keep your bow & 400 heavy arrows. Thief's ring is also a must.

Start from the Old monk archstone and head back over the slug pits and through the exit. Snipe the Grim reaper at the top of the stairs.. Next run up and slow down until you see the Black Phantom dual katana skeleton facing away from you. You want to walk up behind him and soulsuck. You should be able to get close enough see about 3cm behind its right foot and your right knee. Then use Soulsuck. It will kill it in one hit if undetected. Loot the body then evacuate back to the nexus. It takes about 30 seconds for one run.

While farming this, up your luck each time when you exit back to the nexus. Each time my luck was about 40 I got it. I kept 99 shards on me as well. Chunks I only ever got around 18-20.

I'm going to have to disagree with Mr. Black Phantom skelly. He is the worst one to farm from my experience and is the most difficult to kill and easily fuck up on even trying to kill him and would only get trolled with soul remains. I've also platinumed the game three times as well. Got the stone to drop around an hour for the US and JP versions, within 15 minutes on the EU. You don't even need to up the luck, that shit just increases the chances of all drops and with that, the BP version's drop rate of the stone is even lower than the normal to begin with, it'll be worse with that.

My setup is similar to yours. Achieve PBWT, and depending on your build, you want to use something that is going to hit hard. In my cases, I used a Northern Regalia, Sharp War Scythe +4 (Dex build) with Cursed Weapon, or Dragon Bone Smasher +5 with Cursed Weapon (Str build), DBS from my experience brutally kills him as long as you know how to use the weapon (get a backstab or you may end up needing two hits). War Scythe stun locks.

Spawn at the Adjudicator Archstone (4-2), head down, you don't have to kill anything, all you need to do is head to the secret passage. So run by the ghosts, they won't follow. When you get to the secret passage, the fucker is going to see you and 9/10 times it's gonna lunge at you and you will see it coming because it's startup is pretty damn slow so dodge to the side and then backstab. Done. From here, you have two options, warp back to the Nexus (Nexial Binding, or Small Archstones) or just roll off the cliff and you'll spawn back at the 4-2 archstone (rather do this option). I believe this is the best way to do it because it's easy to fuck up the stealth kill on the Black Phantom version and when you do fuck up, it ain't gonna lunge at you because you're so damn close, hell it's gonna one shot you immediately from experience.

Edited by Druoxrodest

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I want to try that 99 shard and 99 chunk trick in my inventory, it seemed to help me start getting more chunk drops when I got to 99 shards, I swear before that I think I only got 2 chunks in PBWT. Now the chunks are dropping pretty regularly, I think I'm at like 40 now so I still got a ways to go. Damn you pure bladestone!!!

• 6 months later...