Rate the trophy difficulty...  

1,008 members have voted

1. 1. Rate the trophy difficulty...

• 1 - Very Easy
    • 10 - Very Hard

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/images/news/diff_plat_8.png

Collected Trophy Difficulty Rating: 8.03

Voting Guidelines

1. Do not vote unless you have played the game.
  2. Do not vote until you have dedicated a substantial amount of time towards the game.
  3. Do not vote based solely on the descriptions from the trophy list.
  4. A time consuming game does not necessarily mean a difficult game so vote accordingly.
    Examples;
    • Warhawk is time consuming and difficult.
    • Resistance 2 is time consuming, but not difficult.

[*]Vote with honesty and integrity.

Edited by Xander45

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Solid 8 for me you won't find many games harder than this. Yes it gets easier once you have completed the game but even though you are leveling up so do the enemies even in later playthrough's you can still be killed very quickly.

If you are playing in co-op than the game is a 7 as its always easier if you have help. Even though i am a pro on this game it would be lower than an 8 but it depends on the player and how you level your character.

Edited by Phorus

yes the pure bladestone was a huge problem for me, other than that i'd give it a 7, takes 4 and a half play throughs or something but each play through can be beaten in 15 or 20 hours after the first so its not that bad. Probably spent about 3 hours on the pure bladestone alone. In terms of skill it takes? Maybe a 5, i dont think i ever once farmed for levels and had little problem getting the plat, only time i farmed was for shards and chunks etc.

Note: I have only played(beaten) the Asian version.

I gave it an 8, it was the first plat I did get. I almost have Dead Space and I would say Dead Space is much easier and takes alot less time to beat. Demon Souls took me 120-130 hrs to beat. Demon Souls is probably my most favorite game i have played on the PS3 so far.

The thing about this game is, if your having trouble with a level or boss all you have to do is grind for a bit to get a few levels then try the boss/level over and it should be easier. So I think rating this game harder than a 8 is a little over reacting.

I would think a 10 difficulty would be Warhawk, Bad Company, Wipeout or Socom:Confrontation.

EDIT: the hardest level for me was 5-2 with pure black world tendency. Hardest boss was probably the 3-2 one.

Edited by Chexander

im almost done wiht my first playthrough... over 40 hours cause been doing all of the tendencies.. i wont vote till i finish the game, but atm its about a 7 for me.. if ur carefull enough its not that hard, for me at the beggining the difficult thing was 2 understand all the stuff but once u get all of that is not that hard. Still a very time consuming plat, but the game is so good u dont even feel the 100+ hours.

Edited by Excstazy

KK i finished my first playthough and im 1/2 thru my seccond and now that i understand what each trophy means, ill give it a 6.. the game isn't really THAT hard.. it's a lot of info for someone whose just starting but once u understand all of that its pretty easy.. you just have to be carefull and can't Leroy most of the game.

Also most of the bosses if not all, are really easy to kill with arrows or some kind of "tactic", 4 example i had a little trouble with the old king, but saw a video in youtube where u can just back stab him to death with no danger of dying..

Spider boss has a blind spot where u can just shoot arrows till hes dead.. and so on... so if ur having trouble with any boss theres allways a way arround it.

imo its not a hard plat, but its a very time consuming one, since u need 4 playthoughs, or 3 with a trick.

EDIT: Sorry for double post, didn't realize no one posted after i did a couple days ago.

Edited by Excstazy

If it wasn't for that fact that ALL BOSSES are cheesable I would probably have rated it higher. Although I am not going to rate it atm, I will wait until I get the platinum but I plan to rate it an 8.

IMO a great platinum, I want to see more similar RPGs/Trophies.

GO ATLUS! I LOVE YOU!

Let's see a Shin Megami Tensei on the PS3! ;):D

Well, so far, the bosses haven't been giving me trouble after flamelurker. I was pretty underleveled fighting him - and I thought that he was an indicator of the difficulty level. (Hell, I haven't even been using the cling ring or the theif's ring) But i'd have to say this feels 8-ish.

The game has a steep learning curve, and is great fun! but after that curve, the game becomes an exercise in exploration than in challenge. This is, of course, only true depending on how the remaining bosses fair. So I wont vote yet.

Gave it a 6. The game isn't hard, it's just time consuming. I have found that half the reason why people are dying so easilly in this game is a simple misunderstanding of mechanics and/or just trying to power through the entire game. If there's any NPC issue aside from people trying to move from one boss to the next without much grinding, it's mostly game mechanics and trying to learn them. Getting used to the sometimes-awkward targetting system, learning to deal with the camera's flaws, and learning that NPC's generally have exceptions to rules that you do not. Most prominently, they can target you from WAY further off than you can target them - see 4-2, and they can swing at you through walls/pillars, you cannot - see Flamelurker. Learn how to deal with errors like this, and the game becomes easy to defeat. Defeat the game, and it's all a grind from there.

I wonder how many people vote multiple times or vote on games that they either just started or never played.

There are a total of 50 votes and there hasn't been near that many people in the Demon's Souls forums even close to a platinum.... :(:p

A good question indeed. However, that's a question of individual validity. People whom post up their opinions based on how the trophy list Looks tend to be incorrect and thus - something I just roll right over in comments.

However, earning the platinum doesn't necessarily depict the difficulty or qualification in making a comment about it. I'd say it'd be a fair assessment that anyone whom has completed at least a single run-through of Demon's Souls can properly ascertain whether or not the trophy itself is actually difficult or just plain tedious.

Example, fighting the bosses was difficult the first time around. We all died to some of them at least a dozen times. I know for sure that Flamelurker gave me the most trouble. Some folks say he's easy, others say he's too hard. Everyone to their own conclusions on that one, I say.

Nevertheless, after having completed the game, we basically earn every trophy in the game save for those that are not difficult, but tedious. Repeated playthroughs focus more on the players expertise at understanding the gameplay mechanics and their patience. That's typically the case with most RPG's as Demon's Souls lacks Trophies that make the game harder than it already is.

To clarify, Demon's Souls is hard - the trophies are not. Thus, obtaining Platinum in the game isn't increasing the difficulty of Demon's Souls, it's only increasing the time required to obtain it. A great deal of the trophies are boss kills - which will only become easier after you've beat them once already as the second time will not change any tactics for approach or instill any requirements for the fight upon you. The demon killing trophies are merely what is required to complete the game, and the optional bosses don't really do anything frighteningly difficult.

Then you have the weapon maximization trophies. These are time sinks, not an increase in difficulty. For example, killing a crystal gecko requires you to find and kill them. A fairly easy task once one figures it out, and one that doesn't truly add difficulty. The geckos are not difficult, just require you to hunt them.

Finally, there's the golds. Obtaining all weapons/rings/spells. Spells are only time consuming, requiring multiple playthroughs. Rings and Weapons require a player to access them under restricted conditions. While this does affect in-game difficulty temporarily (Pure Black), the same general gameplay guidelines that the player originally learned will allow them to get through it all the same.

In conclusion, i'd say your argument definitely applies and I agree with it. But i'd say only for those who comment without playing the game or defeating it at least once. One can attempt a guess at the difficulty after an hour of playing, or by just looking at the list, but a guess is a guess and doesn't become an educated until the individual has played the game for a while. Were it up to me, i'd probably not even put up platinum difficulty polls on brand new games 'til at least one week after release.

Edited by Dennen
Added Signature =)

Some good valid points there.

I agree completely with your statement that Demon's Souls is a hard game but it's trophies are not any harder than it is. Many games force you to play the hardest difficulty or complete outrageous tasks this one just makes you play more than you might normally (Which can be a bad thing, although here I would think it is not).

Although I still think it is the 2nd hardest platinum I have gotten, only 2nd to Call of Duty: World at War which I found pretty crazy.

If I personally had say over the Platinum Difficulty Ratings, I would make it so only Platinum Club members could vote on it. I agree that if you beat the game you could probably vote on it fairly well but that would further complicate things, and some games this wold not work. Obviously this idea would take considerable time and effort to accomplish and it would oppress the people with less platinums and discourage them so I understand why it would be overlooked as well.

got plat last night. 130 hours, NG+++, SL 215

8/10 ng+ was hard, rest was easy at such a high lvl with blueblood sword.

best gear to use imo are

blueblood sword

purple shield +10

old kings armor

my stats

vit 50

int 30

str 45

dex 35

maj 30

fth 20

luk 45

worked well for me i was able to solo all bosses.

hardest part was bladstone trophy which i gave up after going from lvl 160 to 212. got it from Jay_Slim. also i would agree hardes boss was probably 3-2. 1-4 was also kinda hard on NG+.

FINALLY...platted tonight...finished at level 187 with 100+ hours... i did trade for pure moon/darkstone but got the blade and marrow stones myself...kinda glad i got the blade one seeing as it leveled me almost 60 levels... a few things that set me back was not doing the blacksmith glitch to save myself half a playthrough... the halloween event which made the game harder...and also one thing I would recommend is waiting till your done with everything before getting the Foes ring... making your character tendency pure black(like the halloween event) really makes the game much more difficult...and getting your tendency to pure white really does make things that much more easy (at least in my experience)

thanks to all those on this board that helped me out... and to LordMaceX for taking the time to wright an easy to follow guide...good luck to those still working on their plat as well

The game itself is much harder than most others, especially the first time through it. Although the enemies get stronger on subsequent play throughs, they always spawn in the same place so you'll be expecting them and know their tactics. I gave it a 7 for this reason. On the other hand it is incredibly time consuming to achieve platinum without trading for the weapons or the rarer stones. Expect to spend well beyond 150 hours on 4 plays through the game and manipulating world and character tendencies to unlock the tendency events. This time will vary depending on how quickly you're able to farm the rare stones. I'm at 150+ hours and still looking for a couple of stones.

I voted a 9. The time consuming aspect is reason enough. I'm only missing the pure bladestone for the platinum but I know where it drops and have ground enough runs on it to feel I can comment on the overall platinum of the game.

I would have voted a 6 or a 7 if I played as a primarily magic using character though. I started fresh on one and am on playthrough 2 and it's signifigently easier with pure magic use.

@ below

I have a 5 year old son. A game he can platinum would deserve a 1. This is not that game. Grinding out items and time consumption will increase a difficulty rating just as trial and error can in a twitch game. To each their own on views though, glad you thought it deserves a 1, but of the platinum earned games I've played this gen, this was the hardest.

-caddad

Edited by CadDad