Username
Password

Go Back   PlaystationTrophies.org > > > >

Old 04-05-2012, 07:33 PM   #1
Niels

Awards Showcase Community Gaming Event Bronze
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Default Combat system

Im just curious about the combat system, is it like final fantasy and dragon age 1 or more like dragon age 2 and Skyrim style

Thanks in advance

Platinum # 35 and trophy # 4000 - Mass Effect 3 plat
Niels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:48 AM   #2
MMDE
Banned

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   I Beat the Staff Too!!!!   Gold Trophy Guide Submitter   Silver Road Map Submitter   Maximum Clubs Top 5
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)

It's more like Elders Scroll (Skyrim), just a lot better.
Third person only though, not first person.
Some of the tightest battlesystem you will find around.

Also you can play against or with other users, even invade them or get invaded! xD

Last edited by MMDE; 04-06-2012 at 09:57 AM.
MMDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:38 PM   #3
doomgun

Awards Showcase Persona 4: Arena Tournament Champion   1,000 Posts   PS3T's 5th Birthday Game Night Series   Maximum Clubs Top 5
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)

Never played Skyrim but the Stamina system in this game is highly similar to Monster Hunter.

doomgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:15 PM   #4
Alex666alo

it looks like Skyrim
Alex666alo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:49 AM   #5
Anomanderuselnu

Awards Showcase Community Gaming Event Silver   PS3T's 5th Birthday Game Night Series   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)

None of the above. Watch some gameplay videos on youtube if you really want to know.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:59 AM   #6
electroNICK

Awards Showcase Community Gaming Event Bronze
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure you can't really compare it to anything. I'll try to explain the fighting as best I can:
If your using a sword and shield, you will see an enemy, lock on (R3), the you will either block(L1) and then attack(R1), or you will just attack, you can also parry(L2), but this requires some good timing.
If you're playing a Mage, you will keep your distance and pres R1 to do your magic. Those were the two classes i played so I'm not familiar with the others.
The way the game works is, you teleport to 5 (iirc), different worlds, and you fight through the level. There is exploration but it's not a huge open world. You can play co op or do pvp, but this is something you won't have to do, and it can be a little confusing at first.
It's a pretty complex game, but it's really fun. It's pretty action oriented, and takes a good amount of thought to play at first

Thanks to RED_REBEL44 for the sig
electroNICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:59 PM   #7
SnapGW

Quote:
Originally Posted by electroNICK View Post
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure you can't really compare it to anything.
That's a statement that cannot be corrected. That's absolute fact.

The combat system is very simple to explain, but it's refined enough so that it allows for player experience and skill to factor into your performance much more than items and stats, alone. Stats affect items. Items affect combat. But combat as a whole is in the player's hands.

Any item, weapon, or spell can be manually aimed, but this is a highly-experienced, professional tactic, so it's not recommended. Still, it's important to mention that it CAN be done, because that proves that you don't HAVE to lock-on. For the most part, combat is handled through locking-on to your target (and maintaining which targets you wish locked-on, when facing multiple enemies), timing your attacks, blocks, item usages, spell casts, dodges, etc so that you hurt them, and you avoid them hurting you. No enemy in the game is beyond worrying about. Even the weakest enemies in the game can screw you if you ignore them. Line of Sight and Range Detection is a big part of how the AI responds to your presence. Your character emits noise when it moves, so that's taken into account, as well.

Essentially, the combat is very responsive, creative, and intuitive. As stated above, you can't compare it to anything else.

If you're a REAL gamer you: seek a challenge, leave no game unfinished,
earn trophies yourself, and neither own nor plan to own Hannah Montana!
SnapGW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:52 PM   #8
terryfu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapGW View Post
That's a statement that cannot be corrected. That's absolute fact.

The combat system is very simple to explain, but it's refined enough so that it allows for player experience and skill to factor into your performance much more than items and stats, alone. Stats affect items. Items affect combat. But combat as a whole is in the player's hands.

Any item, weapon, or spell can be manually aimed, but this is a highly-experienced, professional tactic, so it's not recommended. Still, it's important to mention that it CAN be done, because that proves that you don't HAVE to lock-on. For the most part, combat is handled through locking-on to your target (and maintaining which targets you wish locked-on, when facing multiple enemies), timing your attacks, blocks, item usages, spell casts, dodges, etc so that you hurt them, and you avoid them hurting you. No enemy in the game is beyond worrying about. Even the weakest enemies in the game can screw you if you ignore them. Line of Sight and Range Detection is a big part of how the AI responds to your presence. Your character emits noise when it moves, so that's taken into account, as well.

Essentially, the combat is very responsive, creative, and intuitive. As stated above, you can't compare it to anything else.
Nice to see you back. Play nice yeah

TS, it's an action rpg where there is no pause or turn based combat. So careful not to switch weapons or items coz ur gonna get hit unlike dragon age where combat is paused when you pull out the wheel. Thought I mention this since no one said it.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:36 PM   #9
MMDE
Banned

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   I Beat the Staff Too!!!!   Gold Trophy Guide Submitter   Silver Road Map Submitter   Maximum Clubs Top 5
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by electroNICK View Post
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure you can't really compare it to anything.
Anything is comparable, you just need to decide what you look for.
Reminds me of writing compare methods.

Out of the three the thread opener starts out with, which one would you say has the most alike features? I would say Skyrim! Why? Simply because you got free movement and you have somewhat control over what your sword hits in the sense that you don't just pick to hit an enemy, but you actually have to aim at them. Skyrim has these finishing moves (hate them), Demon's Souls does not. I've already mentioned that you can play against other people, so that differs a bit. Skyrim is a lot less precise and there's not the same stamina system. Neither do Skyrim have that many different attack movements for various weapons.

As we can see, the games are comparable, because I just compared them.

Last edited by MMDE; 06-02-2012 at 02:43 PM.
MMDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 03:16 PM   #10
donman1001

In all honesty I have to say the combat system is most comparable to a game that you did not even list, and that game is Monster Hunter (One of my all time favorites, just wish they would release one for the ps3), in fact they are nearly identical which would explain why I enjoyed this game so much because all of the Monster Hunters combined id say ive put over 1500 hours of gameplay into.