Interesting theory on getting pure stones

Jammy2211

Now, I'm not Demon's Souls expert but have a good grip over most of it for the platinum now. Anyway, I read a lot of people having trouble getting pure bladestone, and in general having to grind to get the pure stones. Anyway, I did my pure bladestone grinding yesterday, and got one after my 3rd kill, and a second on the 14th.

Obviously I thought this a bit strange, could I really have such crazy luck? Well maybe, but then I thought about it, and remember grinding for the grey stone... where those worms things dropped me 6 pure grey stones before I had enough chunks to get the trophey. In general I seem to get a lot of decent drops for the pure ones, but not so many chunks.

Anyway, I've read a few other people with this theory on the internet, but basically I think this is because I had a luck of 9 and no lost sword of searching. From my playthrough / what I've read, it sort of sounds like a high luck stat will give you high drops, but those drops may 'cancel out' the pure drops or something - I certainly didn't get many chunks dropped throughout my game.

This probably isn't a lot of help for most people but worth seeing if anyone else experienced the same.

I could make a new character to see if I can get a Pure Bladestone more easily with 9 luck! o.O I'd say you got crazy luck. Took me almost 200 runs. The stone supposedly have a drop chance of about 0.5%. Just tell me if I misunderstood you, because if you mean people shouldn't put points into luck, then I'd say it has nothing to do with low luck, because people don't put stats into luck of the obvious reason that it does pretty much nothing, and it is still hard to get for pretty much everyone.

Anyways, thanks for reminding me about two things I should put into my guide! :D

Personally, I think luck increase the chance of getting the Pure Bladestone, because one theory is that luck makes it more likely that the BP Black Skeleton drops at all, and if that is the case, then there is the law of large numbers which says more chances increases the likeliness of it happening.

Edited by MMDE

I'm saying with a luck of 9 (Or lower drop rate) you're more likely to get pure stones dropped then shards / chunks. While the pure bladestone sort of is the main reason I say this, it happened quite often while farming other stones like as I said, greystone and I got 2 pure shardstones from a drop without even trying too lol.

I think people should keep luck as low as possible - obviously people don't level it very high anyway but typical advice to get pure stones says to get the luck up to the point where drop rate won't go higher. They're also told to use the LSoS to increase luck... I've a feeling a higher drop rate makes pure stones less common.

I could have just fluked a few pures but it's sort of felt like this throughout my whole playthrough.

I'm saying with a luck of 9 (Or lower drop rate) you're more likely to get pure stones dropped then shards / chunks. While the pure bladestone sort of is the main reason I say this, it happened quite often while farming other stones like as I said, greystone and I got 2 pure shardstones from a drop without even trying too lol.

I think people should keep luck as low as possible - obviously people don't level it very high anyway but typical advice to get pure stones says to get the luck up to the point where drop rate won't go higher. They're also told to use the LSoS to increase luck... I've a feeling a higher drop rate makes pure stones less common.

I could have just fluked a few pures but it's sort of felt like this throughout my whole playthrough.

Nah, people usually don't put points into luck at all, and they try to start out with a class that has as little luck as possible. This is because at level 120, they will have a better character than if there was put points into luck at level 120, making it better for them when they play against other players online with the level restriction. Even when they just PvE it is just a waste to put points into luck. With other words would the Pure Bladestone not have been an issue for most people, but it is, so having low luck doesn't make it more likely that you get pure than shards. It might make it a little more likely to get it at all, but it doesn't boost it to the extreme degree of which you got them at.

Pure Greystone drops pretty often by the way.

Also, you should look into duplicating those stones instead of grinding more than one of each. I had to grind them myself, and that was very boring, I wish I knew how to duplicate.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/demons-souls/98639-self-duping-now-possible.html

Edited by MMDE

FWIW, my experience in the game would suggest low luck stat is better for finding pure bladestone.

I rolled a Royal, never upgraded luck, and was running around at ~SL 110 with a luck stat of 7. For pure bladestone, I dropped world 4 down to PBWT (I had WCT) and made firestorm runs on the Dual Katana Black Skelly in the hidden passage. After about 2-2.5 hours of that, I finally got a pure bladstone drop.

There's also a hypothesis floating around that holding something "Sharp" (upgraded with bladestone) increases your drops for pure bladestone. I was holding nothing of the sort and I still got it fairly quickly.

I don't want to draw too many conclusions from one data point, but it seems that there's some well established practices for getting pure drops, and low luck and PBWT are chief among them.

Edited by R3coiler

FWIW, my experience in the game would suggest low luck stat is better for finding pure bladestone.

I rolled a Royal, never upgraded luck, and was running around at ~SL 110 with a luck stat of 7. For pure bladestone, I dropped world 4 down to PBWT (I had WCT) and made firestorm runs on the Dual Katana Black Skelly in the hidden passage. After about 2-2.5 hours of that, I finally got a pure bladstone drop.

There's also a hypothesis floating around that holding something "Sharp" (upgraded with bladestone) increases your drops for pure bladestone. I was holding nothing of the sort and I still got it fairly quickly.

I don't want to draw too many conclusions from one data point, but it seems that there's some well established practices for getting pure drops, and low luck and PBWT are chief among them.

Welcome to the forums, and did you sign up just to post this one post? =P

Anyways, if you see how fast the thread opener got this stone, then that's far faster than 2-2.5 hours. The thread opener got it twice in only 13 runs. That's one Pure Bladestone every 10 minute in average... or two in 15-20 minutes! o.O

, I read a lot of people having trouble getting pure bladestone, and in general having to grind to get the pure stones. Anyway, I did my pure bladestone grinding yesterday, and got one after my 3rd kill, and a second on the 14th.

I'd hate to call anybody a liar, but... this really just feels like somebody wanting to taunt everybody working their tails off to farm this one stone. Yes, it is possible to get one on the third try, but why did you continue to farm over ten more times to get a second one? Especially given how widely publicised the duplication trick is?

Troll, we salute you.

I'd hate to call anybody a liar, but... this really just feels like somebody wanting to taunt everybody working their tails off to farm this one stone. Yes, it is possible to get one on the third try, but why did you continue to farm over ten more times to get a second one? Especially given how widely publicised the duplication trick is?

Troll, we salute you.

The fact that he said he had to grind chunks of graystone, which I did as well, and he said he got two pures doing this, I did as well, I kind of believe him.

Troll, we salute you.

I wanted a second one (After getting the first so fast) so I could get someone to trade me a friend's ring, as I ballsed up my Character tendancy and don't fancy killing 10 black phantoms (Albeit I'm doing that now atm as no one from EU can trade with me yet lol).

I could just be very lucky, but I've seen a few people post something along the lines of 'low luck = more pure stones' and figured it might help someone down the road with these bitch of a trophey. Especially as the servers day are numbered I'm sure, and thus trading won't always be an option.

I refuse to duplicate too, I don't 'cheat' trophies, even if it could have involved such an epic amount of grinding lol.

I wanted a second one (After getting the first so fast) so I could get someone to trade me a friend's ring, as I ballsed up my Character tendancy and don't fancy killing 10 black phantoms (Albeit I'm doing that now atm as no one from EU can trade with me yet lol).

I could just be very lucky, but I've seen a few people post something along the lines of 'low luck = more pure stones' and figured it might help someone down the road with these bitch of a trophey. Especially as the servers day are numbered I'm sure, and thus trading won't always be an option.

I refuse to duplicate too, I don't 'cheat' trophies, even if it could have involved such an epic amount of grinding lol.

Here's a mind**** for you. You are against duplicating, but for trading.

Trading:

1. When you trade, you haven't really obtained the thing yourself.

2. The person you trade with will most likely pull the duplication while trading trick, as few will actually want to give away friend's ring without keeping one themselves.

3. Yes, you have to obtain something someone wants to trade it with you for, but the person might just give it to you to be nice, and that's usually when they duplicate it while trading.

4. You have to bother someone else, and spend their and your time.

Duplication:

1. To be able to duplicate, you need to have obtained at least one of the item.

2. You take advantage of a glitch in the game, a moral issue??

3. You will not need to bother anyone else, not waste their and your time.

4. It's a game, have fun, don't waste your time on brainless, boring, no challenge grinding. You most likely have something you rather want to do, so go spend your time on that instead...

Here's a mind**** for you. You are against duplicating, but for trading.

Trading:

1. When you trade, you haven't really obtained the thing yourself.

2. The person you trade with will most likely pull the duplication while trading trick, as few will actually want to give away friend's ring without keeping one themselves.

3. Yes, you have to obtain something someone wants to trade it with you for, but the person might just give it to you to be nice, and that's usually when they duplicate it while trading.

4. You have to bother someone else, and spend their and your time.

Duplication:

1. To be able to duplicate, you need to have obtained at least one of the item.

2. You take advantage of a glitch in the game, a moral issue??

3. You will not need to bother anyone else, not waste their and your time.

4. It's a game, have fun, don't waste your time on brainless, boring, no challenge grinding. You most likely have something you rather want to do, so go spend your time on that instead...

I don't glitch for trophies... that's just my standpoint. To me the whole point of them is completely meaningless if you abuse game mechanics to achieve it - which trading, isn't doing - as it's an intended part of the game.

Of course I have considered the fact that whoever I trade with might have duplicated the Friend's ring. It's unideal but the main point is I won't know that anyway, so it doesn't effect me. Also throw in the fact that there's a good chance whoever I (hopefully) trade with won't have duped it, and will have simply got the rings trophies, see it as disposable and view my bladestone as worth more. In which case I then 'earned' the friends ring, by getting it in a legitimate trade.

Demon Souls is gonna be one of the most challenging platinums I've earnt and when I look back at it I won't have to think about the fact that I spoiled it with a glitch. That's what matters to me... if people view it other ways then sobeit. I don't judge them or have a stick up my arse about it or anything, just I won't personally glitch for any trophey.

I don't glitch for trophies... that's just my standpoint. To me the whole point of them is completely meaningless if you abuse game mechanics to achieve it - which trading, isn't doing - as it's an intended part of the game.

Of course I have considered the fact that whoever I trade with might have duplicated the Friend's ring. It's unideal but the main point is I won't know that anyway, so it doesn't effect me. Also throw in the fact that there's a good chance whoever I (hopefully) trade with won't have duped it, and will have simply got the rings trophies, see it as disposable and view my bladestone as worth more. In which case I then 'earned' the friends ring, by getting it in a legitimate trade.

Demon Souls is gonna be one of the most challenging platinums I've earnt and when I look back at it I won't have to think about the fact that I spoiled it with a glitch. That's what matters to me... if people view it other ways then sobeit. I don't judge them or have a stick up my arse about it or anything, just I won't personally glitch for any trophey.

I got it without duplication, but I sure wish I had duplicated. It's just a waste of time not duplicating, and duplicating stones you already have got one of doesn't make the game easier, just a lot less boring. I highly recommend using that time on online play instead. I actually strongly recommend and encourage you to create characters for PvP by using duplication to test various builds etc.

You may say you take advantage of a glitch in the game to gain the trophy, and that you don't get the trophy the correct way, but is there really any difference? I mean, have you achieved something if you spend 5 hours of grinding the same enemies? It's damn easy and brainless. What you've achieved is wasting your time on something pointless and boring. You could also have got it from someone else through trading, making it totally pointless to argue you have achieved something. To be honest, you have achieved less if you get the Friend's Ring from trading than if you duplicate, let's say, Chunk of Cloudstone.

Edited by MMDE

Wait... you're above duplication because it's 'cheating', but you can't be bothered to kill your own black phantoms? You don't see that as a contradiction? You don't want to soil your trophies, but you consider a trade (with an item that you apparently really lucked into) to be completely legitimate?

Many trophies have alternate strategies to earn them - occasionally the strategy is an ingame glitch. I just don't see the difference between, say, trading for a rare and somewhat difficult to achieve item (Friend's Ring) and having somebody else complete a challenge for you. The fact is, you're circumventing the true challenge of getting it yourself. Now, I openly admit that I went around the true challenge of Demon's Souls by abusing duplication - still, I don't claim to be taking the gaming high ground.

I did it the long hard way with no duping or trading. Took me 2 hours of (thief ring + soulsucking) to get the pure bladestone on NG+ (With a luck stat upgraded to 39). Wasn't too bad. Went up about 25 soul levels in that time which makes the game alot easier.

Now getting chunks of cloudstone from the flying stingray things and the chunks of greystone from the rock worms took me alot longer.

Interesting theory. I guess I could try it and find out in one or two hours.

One thing, luck does improve drops. I was at 20 and never lacking grasses, other stones, etc. I still don't have a pure bladestone though.

The developers did a disservice to the game by not having an easier way to get a pure. They should have wanted people to actually be able to use +5 sharps. Farming for the pure is awful and kind of makes me hate the game. Maybe I should blame trophies?

Wait... you're above duplication because it's 'cheating', but you can't be bothered to kill your own black phantoms? You don't see that as a contradiction? You don't want to soil your trophies, but you consider a trade (with an item that you apparently really lucked into) to be completely legitimate?

Many trophies have alternate strategies to earn them - occasionally the strategy is an ingame glitch. I just don't see the difference between, say, trading for a rare and somewhat difficult to achieve item (Friend's Ring) and having somebody else complete a challenge for you. The fact is, you're circumventing the true challenge of getting it yourself. Now, I openly admit that I went around the true challenge of Demon's Souls by abusing duplication - still, I don't claim to be taking the gaming high ground.

The difference is one is a legitimate strategy that was put in the game with the intention of it being used, the other is an in game glitch - abusing something that isn't supposed to be there.

Ones legit, one isn't. They're my criteria for how I collect trophies - and as i said I've no problem with how other people do it (I tried not to take the high ground, if you re read my post lol), but they're how I collect trophies. I have 'rules' for my trophies hunting I guess and thats one. Another is i never let my first playthrough be altered by trophies in any significant way, which is how i got into this mess in the first place lol.

The difference is one is a legitimate strategy that was put in the game with the intention of it being used, the other is an in game glitch - abusing something that isn't supposed to be there.

Ones legit, one isn't. They're my criteria for how I collect trophies - and as i said I've no problem with how other people do it (I tried not to take the high ground, if you re read my post lol), but they're how I collect trophies. I have 'rules' for my trophies hunting I guess and thats one. Another is i never let my first playthrough be altered by trophies in any significant way, which is how i got into this mess in the first place lol.

It's still less of an achievement to get a Friend's Ring through trading than duplicating chunks of cloudstone. I understand that you feel like you have some high moral about this, but remember it's just a game, and if you really wanted to to feel like you had accomplished something, you shouldn't even consider getting the Friend's Ring through trading, because it's one of the rings you actually have to do something varied, fun and challenging to get! :) This is were common logic ends and your human moral takes over.

Edited by MMDE

• 2 weeks later...

I, like most others, was having a hellacious time with the Pure Bladestone. I had close to, if not more than, 200 runs with no luck before the damn stone popped on the LAST (I shit you not) run I was doing this past Saturday. I was likely going to retire from farming and finish up the rest of the game and go back who knows when. I laughed my ass off when I saw the word "Pure", thought for sure I'd have to play for like 8 hours straight some day to ever have a chance.