XboxAchievements Got a news tip? tips@ps3t.org
Username
Password

Go Back   PlaystationTrophies.org > > > >

Old 01-16-2012, 03:42 PM   #11
Jammy2211

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMDE View Post
Here's a mind**** for you. You are against duplicating, but for trading.

Trading:
1. When you trade, you haven't really obtained the thing yourself.
2. The person you trade with will most likely pull the duplication while trading trick, as few will actually want to give away friend's ring without keeping one themselves.
3. Yes, you have to obtain something someone wants to trade it with you for, but the person might just give it to you to be nice, and that's usually when they duplicate it while trading.
4. You have to bother someone else, and spend their and your time.

Duplication:
1. To be able to duplicate, you need to have obtained at least one of the item.
2. You take advantage of a glitch in the game, a moral issue??
3. You will not need to bother anyone else, not waste their and your time.
4. It's a game, have fun, don't waste your time on brainless, boring, no challenge grinding. You most likely have something you rather want to do, so go spend your time on that instead...
I don't glitch for trophies... that's just my standpoint. To me the whole point of them is completely meaningless if you abuse game mechanics to achieve it - which trading, isn't doing - as it's an intended part of the game.

Of course I have considered the fact that whoever I trade with might have duplicated the Friend's ring. It's unideal but the main point is I won't know that anyway, so it doesn't effect me. Also throw in the fact that there's a good chance whoever I (hopefully) trade with won't have duped it, and will have simply got the rings trophies, see it as disposable and view my bladestone as worth more. In which case I then 'earned' the friends ring, by getting it in a legitimate trade.

Demon Souls is gonna be one of the most challenging platinums I've earnt and when I look back at it I won't have to think about the fact that I spoiled it with a glitch. That's what matters to me... if people view it other ways then sobeit. I don't judge them or have a stick up my arse about it or anything, just I won't personally glitch for any trophey.
Jammy2211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:12 PM   #12
MMDE
Banned

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   I Beat the Staff Too!!!!   Gold Trophy Guide Submitter   Silver Road Map Submitter   Maximum Clubs Top 5
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy2211 View Post
I don't glitch for trophies... that's just my standpoint. To me the whole point of them is completely meaningless if you abuse game mechanics to achieve it - which trading, isn't doing - as it's an intended part of the game.

Of course I have considered the fact that whoever I trade with might have duplicated the Friend's ring. It's unideal but the main point is I won't know that anyway, so it doesn't effect me. Also throw in the fact that there's a good chance whoever I (hopefully) trade with won't have duped it, and will have simply got the rings trophies, see it as disposable and view my bladestone as worth more. In which case I then 'earned' the friends ring, by getting it in a legitimate trade.

Demon Souls is gonna be one of the most challenging platinums I've earnt and when I look back at it I won't have to think about the fact that I spoiled it with a glitch. That's what matters to me... if people view it other ways then sobeit. I don't judge them or have a stick up my arse about it or anything, just I won't personally glitch for any trophey.
I got it without duplication, but I sure wish I had duplicated. It's just a waste of time not duplicating, and duplicating stones you already have got one of doesn't make the game easier, just a lot less boring. I highly recommend using that time on online play instead. I actually strongly recommend and encourage you to create characters for PvP by using duplication to test various builds etc.

You may say you take advantage of a glitch in the game to gain the trophy, and that you don't get the trophy the correct way, but is there really any difference? I mean, have you achieved something if you spend 5 hours of grinding the same enemies? It's damn easy and brainless. What you've achieved is wasting your time on something pointless and boring. You could also have got it from someone else through trading, making it totally pointless to argue you have achieved something. To be honest, you have achieved less if you get the Friend's Ring from trading than if you duplicate, let's say, Chunk of Cloudstone.

Last edited by MMDE; 01-16-2012 at 08:16 PM.
MMDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:17 PM   #13
MrMinderbinder

Awards Showcase Silver Trophy Guide Submitter   Bronze Road Map Submitter   1,000 Posts   Maximum Clubs Top 5
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)

Quote:
I wanted a second one (After getting the first so fast) so I could get someone to trade me a friend's ring, as I ballsed up my Character tendancy and don't fancy killing 10 black phantoms (Albeit I'm doing that now atm as no one from EU can trade with me yet lol).

I refuse to duplicate too, I don't 'cheat' trophies, even if it could have involved such an epic amount of grinding lol.
Wait... you're above duplication because it's 'cheating', but you can't be bothered to kill your own black phantoms? You don't see that as a contradiction? You don't want to soil your trophies, but you consider a trade (with an item that you apparently really lucked into) to be completely legitimate?

Many trophies have alternate strategies to earn them - occasionally the strategy is an ingame glitch. I just don't see the difference between, say, trading for a rare and somewhat difficult to achieve item (Friend's Ring) and having somebody else complete a challenge for you. The fact is, you're circumventing the true challenge of getting it yourself. Now, I openly admit that I went around the true challenge of Demon's Souls by abusing duplication - still, I don't claim to be taking the gaming high ground.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:59 PM   #14
Angry Gargoyle

Awards Showcase Community Gaming Event Bronze   PS3T's 5th Birthday Game Night Series   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)

I did it the long hard way with no duping or trading. Took me 2 hours of (thief ring + soulsucking) to get the pure bladestone on NG+ (With a luck stat upgraded to 39). Wasn't too bad. Went up about 25 soul levels in that time which makes the game alot easier.

Now getting chunks of cloudstone from the flying stingray things and the chunks of greystone from the rock worms took me alot longer.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:08 PM   #15
gamesound

Interesting theory. I guess I could try it and find out in one or two hours.

One thing, luck does improve drops. I was at 20 and never lacking grasses, other stones, etc. I still don't have a pure bladestone though.

The developers did a disservice to the game by not having an easier way to get a pure. They should have wanted people to actually be able to use +5 sharps. Farming for the pure is awful and kind of makes me hate the game. Maybe I should blame trophies?
gamesound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:17 AM   #16
Angry Gargoyle

Awards Showcase Community Gaming Event Bronze   PS3T's 5th Birthday Game Night Series   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)

The bonus is the amount of souls you get while going for it. The game immediately gets far easier by the time you get the bladestone. You get 100,000 plus by just killing the reaper & the skeleton with the ring of avarice (& if you cast soul thirst - even more)
Old 01-21-2012, 05:25 PM   #17
Jammy2211

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMinderbinder View Post
Wait... you're above duplication because it's 'cheating', but you can't be bothered to kill your own black phantoms? You don't see that as a contradiction? You don't want to soil your trophies, but you consider a trade (with an item that you apparently really lucked into) to be completely legitimate?

Many trophies have alternate strategies to earn them - occasionally the strategy is an ingame glitch. I just don't see the difference between, say, trading for a rare and somewhat difficult to achieve item (Friend's Ring) and having somebody else complete a challenge for you. The fact is, you're circumventing the true challenge of getting it yourself. Now, I openly admit that I went around the true challenge of Demon's Souls by abusing duplication - still, I don't claim to be taking the gaming high ground.
The difference is one is a legitimate strategy that was put in the game with the intention of it being used, the other is an in game glitch - abusing something that isn't supposed to be there.

Ones legit, one isn't. They're my criteria for how I collect trophies - and as i said I've no problem with how other people do it (I tried not to take the high ground, if you re read my post lol), but they're how I collect trophies. I have 'rules' for my trophies hunting I guess and thats one. Another is i never let my first playthrough be altered by trophies in any significant way, which is how i got into this mess in the first place lol.
Jammy2211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:35 PM   #18
MMDE
Banned

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   I Beat the Staff Too!!!!   Gold Trophy Guide Submitter   Silver Road Map Submitter   Maximum Clubs Top 5
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)

Quote:
The difference is one is a legitimate strategy that was put in the game with the intention of it being used, the other is an in game glitch - abusing something that isn't supposed to be there.

Ones legit, one isn't. They're my criteria for how I collect trophies - and as i said I've no problem with how other people do it (I tried not to take the high ground, if you re read my post lol), but they're how I collect trophies. I have 'rules' for my trophies hunting I guess and thats one. Another is i never let my first playthrough be altered by trophies in any significant way, which is how i got into this mess in the first place lol.
It's still less of an achievement to get a Friend's Ring through trading than duplicating chunks of cloudstone. I understand that you feel like you have some high moral about this, but remember it's just a game, and if you really wanted to to feel like you had accomplished something, you shouldn't even consider getting the Friend's Ring through trading, because it's one of the rings you actually have to do something varied, fun and challenging to get! This is were common logic ends and your human moral takes over.

Last edited by MMDE; 01-21-2012 at 06:35 PM.
MMDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:36 AM   #19
molupo

i have a question:

do you really need a pure stone to fully upgrade a weapon and obtain the trophy, or you can obtain the trophy upgrading a weapon with chunks and shards?
molupo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:24 AM   #20
Joooooink

Awards Showcase THL Season 6 - Olsen's Secret List   THL Season 5 - Cross-site Competition Champions   Bronzer Than Nothing   THL Season 4 - Big Ol' Pile of Platinums   1,000 Posts   Maximum Clubs Top 5
Total Awards: 6 (more» ...)

I agree, I've had much more trouble getting enough bladestone chunks then the pure ones.