Midgard Serpent

The Hints for this fight are useless: "Use the weapon the Midgard Serpent drops to defeat his minions (paraphrased)." Yeah. Anyone else try it? THE WEAPONS DON'T WORK. One of the worst in-game tips ever.

This fight was more difficult for me than AntiSpank until I discovered what weapons actually work. The best combination I found was a use of Invulnerability Orbs, followed by the Black Hole bombs. Use the Invulnerability Orb when Thurton is his giant reptile self, and simply wail away with regular weapons until your Weapon of Justice is ready. Pop a Crit potion, if you feel so inclined, then press triangle and tear him up with your Weapon of Justice. He should go down in one complete Weapon of Justice attack if you've been able to stay under your orb and knock off 1/3-1/2 of his health - this is on Insane difficulty.

Once he "dies" and explodes into the little crocodiles, kite them around until the shared recharge on the Invulnerability Orbs/Black Holes is up (always hold R2 for the shield while kiting, if you don't know that already). Let the mini-crocs gather around you, then toss the Black Hole (and immediately start eating a cake, if you need health - this 3-5 second breather is very useful). You don't even need to move once you toss the Black Hole; begin eating instantly. The vortex works like a charm on the little boogers. You will need 3-4 of these bombs, as there are three stages to the fight where he explodes into little crocodiles. Don't start the fight without the Black Holes because NOTHING ELSE I TRIED DAMAGED THE LITTLE CROCODILES.

First wave: 3 crocodiles

Second wave: 5-6 crocodiles

Third wave: 8-9 crocodiles

To quote Alderon of trueachievements.com:

"When fighting the Midgard Serpent, I would attack with any weapon I had and it was a pretty basic fight. Once he dies and split into his mythical minions, you must pick up the weapon that he drops and attack them with that weapon. My quicker solution was to drop a Supermassive Black Hole and it would instantly suck them up and kill them, making it a very quick fight."

Hope this is helpful for anyone else struggling like I was.

Edited by poetic_justice_
  • Thanks 1

"But where do I get the black holes?" someone asked.

Best place I know of to get them is by winning the 20 matches in the Arena. When you get the champion key, the chest is full of them. GUARD THEM! No weapon vendor sells these, so they are rare. They will also drop off some open-world enemies, but not very often.

And no, it does not matter if you use the large or small black holes when fighting the crocodiles. Just drop either type in the middle of the mob (you will take some damage from the critters), and the black hole will suck them all up.

Edited by poetic_justice_

The Hints for this fight are useless: "Use the weapon the Midgard Serpent drops to defeat his minions (paraphrased)." Yeah. Anyone else try it? THE WEAPONS DON'T WORK. Worst. In-game. Tip. Ever.

Actually, the dropped weapon worked for me. Instead of manually needing to equip the weapon though, it was automatically equipped to the :cross: button. Hitting once on the :cross: button destroyed each minion. After all the minions were destroyed, the :cross: button reverted back to the original weapon assigned to it.

Actually, the dropped weapon worked for me. Instead of manually needing to equip the weapon though, it was automatically equipped to the :cross: button. Hitting once on the :cross: button destroyed each minion. After all the minions were destroyed, the :cross: button reverted back to the original weapon assigned to it.

Same thing here; pretty sure the game wants you to use those weapons, then they become useless and replaced by the "normal" set-up as to not interfere with fighting the Serpent himself.

Maybe there was a glitch? Cause on my first playthrough, those little suckers were invincible. Nothing I did caused any damage. Nature, Undead, Fire, and Ice weapons/arrows did nothing. The Umlaut/Emily Dickinson/Emperor Protiat (or whatever the names are) weapons were also ineffective. Very strange, but I''m glad others haven't had that issue.

I found that tip by Alderon regarding the use of Black Holes the only attack that was successful in my first playthrough, and for my second on Insane, I didn't even bother with any other weapons on the mini-crocs. I just kited them and used the Black Hole once it finished its cooldown.

• 2 months later...
"But where do I get the black holes?" someone asked.

Best place I know of to get them is by winning the 20 matches in the Arena. When you get the champion key, the chest is full of them. GUARD THEM! No weapon vendor sells these, so they are rare. They will also drop off some open-world enemies, but not very often.

And no, it does not matter if you use the large or small black holes when fighting the crocodiles. Just drop either type in the middle of the mob (you will take some damage from the critters), and the black hole will suck them all up.

weapon vendor in beginning of barnacle lake

• 4 years later...
  • 7 years later...

The Blackhole Orbs can be bought in Valhalla.  Just teleport to the Pro Shop Outhouse which takes us to the shops nearby - food, weapon and potions.  I believe the Supermassive Blackhole Orbs cost $14,000 each and the regular Blackhole Orbs are only for $11,000

Once we bought 5 of each (max limit for the regular and supermassive orbs) the vendor will no longer offer them anymore. On my Insane playthrough I got them as early as Barnacle Lake.

EDIT: 09.12.2023

There is indeed a slight spike in difficulty when playing on Insane.  The Blackhole Orbs (not even the Supermassive ones) combined with Orb of Total Invulnerability does the trick.  Though the dropped 'limited edition' weapons also one-shots the serpent minions.

Edited by Naps
... and now for the main event Anti-Spank.