Dead Space 2008 - Present: Still looks and feels amazing to play

BrakoV5

Just started the game after first playing it all those years back on 360..

Seeing how most devs were supposed to have problems with building games for the PS3, it seems Visceral did a flipping good job with Dead Space all those years back.

Good to see even after all the crap I've subjected myself to watch on the net, that Dead Space can still make me nervous or scare the socks off me.

Back when I had it on 360 I purchased the weapon and armour packs. This time I'm doing it properly as this is one game that you get complete when first purchased. None of this selling you the game in bits and bobs which eventually can cost you around £70 + in some cases.

So do you gents still play this beauty?

Just recently played through it for the first time in years and I was quite surprised with the gameplay and graphics. I could've sworn I had gone back before and was a Taddd set back by some changes and the gameplay, but it was amazing, AGAIN just a few weeks ago when I played it. Only weird thing is the statis, but overall the game is en fuego.

I don't think I ever replayed it, because it doesn't really have an incentive to do so like Term mentioned, but now that I think about it, this game was goddamn excellent when it debuted and still is. Really is stunning in every aspect. And I'm sure I'd still shit myself if I played it again even though I remember a lot of it.

I don't think I ever replayed it, because it doesn't really have an incentive to do so like Term mentioned, but now that I think about it, this game was goddamn excellent when it debuted and still is. Really is stunning in every aspect. And I'm sure I'd still shit myself if I played it again even though I remember a lot of it.

Luckily with creating a fresh ps4 account I have that trophy incentive to go back. I completely understand your reasoning though. It's a great game, but that added push is sometimes all it takes. :)

I did intend to do it completely legit, but then I forgot about all those upgrades :eek:

Used a nice little credit glitch on chapter 4 which helped me with around 250k.

I just wish they would have allowed the gamer to play through impossible mode from the beginning. With the higher difficulty from the start, this truly would have made the game even more tense.

Dead Space 2 seemed to go the more action adventure instead of horror game. But as mentioned it still worked because the action was done very well. Not heard many people talk about Dead Space 3 though.

As much as Don't Get Cocky Kid' can be frustrating, its one of those rare occasions where you feel like you've earned the trophy. Not a bad little mini-game too.

Yeah thats what it took me last night.

The thing I like about it though is that its always a random pattern, so its skill that will get you through, not having the ability to read the AI pattern and do it that way.

Just fought the Leviathan and forgot to blast one of its boulders back at it for a trophy :( No doubt be able to get it on one of the many playthroughs needed :D

For some reason I had it in my head that I needed to kill it by throwing the fire extinguishers at it. Hate it when I play along to my own randomly thought trophy list lol:D

I laugh hahahaha. But really I want to smash the PS3 up lol.

Hit my stress point with the game on 'Crackshot'. Had to switch the console off before thousands were killed.

One thing I truly hate about the PS3. The tiny joypad made to suit only childrens hands lol. Way too compact and clumsy for me on certain game modes. Mainly racing and cursor movements.

Will have another crack at it tomorrow.

Edited by Reys
Please edit posts instead of double posting.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm playing through the Dead Space trilogy right now, so I've only recently played the first game and I have to say it was amazing. I loved the ambient music and sense of loneliness as you work your way through the abandoned Ishimura. I've been researching the lore a lot as well, reading about the Marker, Unitology and the contagion. It's a great series. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Dead Space is pretty much my favourite game. I played it on PC first then, when I got my PS3 in Feb 2013, it was the first game I bought and also my first plat. I normally trade games upon completion as I don't really have time to replay them and I prefer to keep the trophy count steadily rising but this is one disc I will always keep. Recently had the urge to play it again and thinking of doing a Plasma Cutter only Impossible run just for shits and giggles. Fantastic game!

Playing through one-two-three on 360... Then going back to one on the PS3 was a bit of a shock...

1: controls are a lot more stale in one, can't reload while running OR walking, have to aim.

2: stomping is very slow compared to two.

3: waaaaaay more horror-orinted, Alien-esque even, where as two is more action with a few jumpscares... And three is just action.

Actually, the Alien movies is a nice nod.

First is horror, second is action, third is crap. Fourth will be just weird?

Going off topic for a second, the Extended edits of both Alien 2, 3+4 are far better than the Theatrical releases though nothing can fully save no4.

Back on topic:

The controls are definitely not as refined in no1 but in a way that only adds to the tension, albeit not in the way you'd really like. I love Dead Space 1 but I didn't get on with 2+3 which is why I sold 2 after getting to 100% and only played the demo for 3.

Edited by Terminator
Fixed typo.

The controls are definitely not as refined in no1 but in a way that only adds to the tension, albeit not in the way you'd really like. I love Dead Space 1 but I didn't get on with 2+3 which is why I sold 2 after getting to 100% and only played the demo for 3.

It kind of makes sense from one point of view... In the first game Isaac isn't a warrior, he has no prior combat experience at all. So he has to take his time with his aim and reloading is an awkward ordeal... And he's only just realized he can use his magboots to make his stomps 10 times more destructive, but his musclememory isn't in it yet.

In the second game, he's more experienced, he's learned from his mistakes and successes. (Caveat: he's been in stasis for a couple of years, so i don't know when he did this learning)

Anyway, he's more at home with the handling of guns... And the stomping, oh god the stomping is so fluid! And the game throws more psychological scares at you... It's not the necromorphs that are supposed to scare you, it's human nature and hubris.

In the Third game he's just a badass, but... There are no more scares. Just bodies to grudgungly wade through on your way to the next checkpoint.

Edited by eleriel
Spellings.

In the Third game he's just a badass, but... There are no more scares. Just bodies to grudgungly wade through on your way to the next checkpoint.

The third game was not too bad, but I felt they could have done better. The attachment he had with Nicole in the first two games is what made the games very dark.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm just finishing off my first ever playthrough which I started way back in 2009 when a friend lent me his copy (which I'm still playing). It's a great game, it really is.

One thing I recommend (and not everyone can do this), turn up the sound as much as you can allow ! There are some awesome ambient sounds in the game which really add to the atmosphere. Highly recommended !!!!

• 7 months later...