Worst checkpoint system EVER! A Travesty in game design

I cannot believe how terrible the designers made the checkpoint system. To get started you have to watch all the cut scenes and slow boring in game scenes after you die. The designers didn't have the common sense to put the checkpoint after the slow boring narratives, etc.

The worst is if you quit your game mid-chapter you have to start all over again and collect anything you had before. I basically got STUCK on the chapter 6 boss because it was near impossible to beat without certain weapons. I died on my first try. After that I started with half life and all of the health packs were gone from the vents for some reason. So I quit.. there was nothing I could do to win this fight. Now I have to start the entire chapter over and collect everything, watch all the boring scenes all over again. What was Visceral thinking? Anyone else find this annoying in their play through(s)?

Edited by statikcat

I totally agrree with you. Thanks to DS2 limited edition I never payed for this. ANd I learned a good lesson, I will never pay for this kinda game, never ever. Railway Shooter genre died 10 years ago. They were cool to play 15 year ago only in Arcade saloons, but I dont want to waste my money and time on this freakfests anymore.:chair:

If Extraction looks nasty to you guys, in terms of game design, think about the DS2 (especially hardcore mode) where you have to watch the opening scene...

In my opinion, i really enjoyed this game, all trophies were quite straight forward and to be honest, i kinda liked the unique (rail shooter) challenge where you either grab it/shoot it or...miss it...

Most of the people i played the 2 player mode with loved it so i suppose it's all about what each player is looking for in a game.

ps cheers for the correction dude

Edited by SevenAM

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

statikcat is right, at least about one thing: is a game done for one unique walkthrough?! For me the answer is NO. I like to play and replay my games. But I don't want to see 10 times the same cut-scene. I don't want to listen 10 times to the same dialogue (especially when the story is not so good).

DS EXTRACTION is a fun game, but those cut-scenes, those terrible dialogues are just A TORTURE

I can say the same thing about DEAD SPACE 2. We should be able to pass all the cut-scenes, at least after our first walkthrough

• 2 weeks later...
I cannot believe how terrible the designers made the checkpoint system. To get started you have to watch all the cut scenes and slow boring in game scenes after you die. The designers didn't have the common sense to put the checkpoint after the slow boring narratives, etc.

The worst is if you quit your game mid-chapter you have to start all over again and collect anything you had before. I basically got STUCK on the chapter 6 boss because it was near impossible to beat without certain weapons. I died on my first try. After that I started with half life and all of the health packs were gone from the vents for some reason. So I quit.. there was nothing I could do to win this fight. Now I have to start the entire chapter over and collect everything, watch all the boring scenes all over again. What was Visceral thinking? Anyone else find this annoying in their play through(s)?

I agree with this :applause:

One other thing that pissed me off is that i couldnt skip the end credits:think:

• 2 weeks later...

Yep... I'm stuck at the chapter 6 boss atm. I have: Line Gun(slow and absolutely useless in this situation), Force Gun(the same applies) and Flame Thrower which i think can't even reach the tentacles during the first part of the battle. So basically Rivet Gun is all i can damage the fucker with. I get one shot('cause reload speed is epic) and if i miss i get hit. No health pickups, halved life bar, camera's going nuts but MUST.NOT.GIVE IN.

• 1 month later...

I agree that its stupid how the cutscenes cant be skipped but I dont think its as worse as having to see that opening scene again in hard core, I think i memorised what the exchange after all those deaths >.>"

Unskippable end credits also sucked!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I disagree. If you suck at the game then you're not a good player. Very good game, and the difficulty is just right. The cutscenes are unskippable because they help with giving the player a better narrative. Hence, why it is an on-rails shooter.

If you don't like cut scenes or on-rail shooters then go back to COD.:cool:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

What makes me sick with games like this, they shouldn't have wasted the time and money and should have spent it on making the 2 or 3rd dead space even better, but now there will be no more dead space because of bad gambling.

Chapter 6 boss, is bollocks, you respawn at the feet of the boss with only half your life with no chance of gaining any life to top up. There are four of you and only one has a gun and he can't hit the side of the ship while inside it, I would in real life make all of them carry more than one gun or die, many time when hacking and he says we'll cover you I've almost died because of his shitty defensive skills.

How hard would it have been to add a save option? The amount of times I have had to stay awake until the early hours because I have to finish a chapter before it saves, like chapter 6 boss with wrong weapons and chapter 7 because I have hardly any life and starts without your best weapons.

And the fact this game has no save option, you have to play the whole level again if you have to leave the game for some reason part of the way through.

I think one reason I get really pissed off with games that are done badly is I don't have money growing on trees, so what money I do have I would like to spend it on a game I want to enjoy, not end up ripping my hair out because of shitty game production.

Edited by JPClyde

• 1 month later...

It's pretty obvious why the devs made the save system the way they did. They wanted the collectibles to be part of the challenge, but they just may have outdone themselves in that regard. There isn't any "checkpoint restart" option, because it would totally nerf that aspect if you could just replay the section of a level at will just to grab that log/weapon/upgrade.

I do agree that having to replay an entire chapter for one missed pickup can be frustrating but I can appreciate why the decision was made to go that way. However, they did get the balance wrong when most people think that the collectibles are more challenging than fighting off the Necromorphs.

Edited by Zealot

• 3 weeks later...

I honestly didn't have a problem with the checkpoint system because I only ever died once during the Chapter 6 boss on Impossible. If you collect most of the weapons and upgrades during a Normal or Hard, even Impossible is an absolute cakewalk. By using the Force Gun then grabbing a Pulse Rifle or Flamethrower as a backup, you absolutely breeze through this game.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...

I do agree that having to replay an entire chapter for one missed pickup can be frustrating but I can appreciate why the decision was made to go that way. However, they did get the balance wrong when most people think that the collectibles are more challenging than fighting off the Necromorphs.

It is a stupid design decision to make collecting junk the hardest part of the game. You have to know exactly where the items are before hand to get many of them because you have little time to react otherwise. The game is tedious, not difficult.. which is always bad and never commendable.

I agree, really dislike when you cant skip cutscenes. The first time I can understand that you cant skip but after that we should be able to skip.

Not being able to skip cutscenes is one of my biggest hatreds in gaming.. when you combine this with the fact that missing a single collectible forces you to replay the entire level it just makes the game so much worse.

I agree that the chapter 6 boss is just straight up cheap due to the way the game handles the checkpoint too. Health pickups don't respawn if you die, it respawns you at half hp, it does not save the fact that you picked up the weapon upgrade (but saves the fact you picked up the health), it doesn't recognize when you hit the tentacles weak points half of the time, sometimes he won't enter the fan vent after you stasis the fan, if you double tap the stasis grab on the barrel by accident it will drop it out of your vision and you will be grabbed in phase 2.. etc. It's just completely garbage that the game's checkpoints remember that you picked up things when it negatively affects you and don't remember things that would beneficially affect you just to screw you over.

I decided to come back to finish this game after giving it a shot years ago, but it still sucks just as much ass now as it did back then for me. Partially my fault for playing it though, because I hate rail shooters outside of the arcade with a light gun. There really isn't any reason for the genre to exist anymore as the technology and software of today makes it much easier to provide a proper FPS experience compared to 20+ years ago.

EDIT: I had a glitch in Chapter 3 where an enemy spawned at the start that wasn't supposed to be there and the game moved on to the next area despite it being alive. Sometime later in the level the camera faced where this enemy from an earlier checkpoint was and would not advance any further effectively creating a game breaking glitch. The only way to fix it was to restart the entire level. Bad checkpoint system + progression breaking glitches.. brilliant game.

Edited by Elegy