Dead Space 2 - Hardcore Mode Guide & Encyclopedia

yewjhin

I've decided to move the Hardcore section of the trophy guide out into a separate thread as it is stretching the 1st page too long.

This thread will contain links to all known strategies, exploits, applicable DLC info, enemy guide, chapter breakdown etc etc... and will be updated periodically by me.

Last Updated: July 7, 2012

If you like my Guides, do put me as your referrer when you sign up for the Forums! Much appreciated!

Click Here to Signup

Table of Contents

1.0. Preparing for Hardcore

- 1.1: Survival basics

- 1.2: Weapons & Upgrade

- 1.3: Deadspace Ignition Bonus and DLC Weapons & Armor Packs:

2.0. Known Exploits

- 2.1: Unlimited Money (Requires DLC Weapons)

- 2.2: Semi-Unlimited Money/Items in Chapter 7

- 2.3: Unlimited Power Nodes in Chapter 14

3.0. Necromorph Analysis (Enemy Guide)

4.0. Chapter Breakdown

5.0. Hardcore Video Walkthrough (By Landscape97 and Wolfwood)

Edited by yewjhin

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1.0. Preparing for Hardcore

1.1 - Survival Basics:

1. RIG HP Upgrade
- If you're low on health, instead of using up your medkits, upgrade your RIG HP at the workbench to restore your health.

2. Weapon CAP Upgrade
- If a weapon is low on ammo, upgrade its ammo capacity and you'll receive full ammo for it.

3. Respec
- Dead Space 2 now comes with the Respec feature starting from Chapter 7, allowing you to remove previously committed Power Nodes from an item and reapply them somewhere else for 5000 credits. In combination with #1 above, if you are desperately low on health and have no medpacks, its cheaper to remove them,
leave the bench
then reapply the health upgrades on your RIG to restore you back to full health, as opposed to buying Large Med Packs that cost 10,000 credits.

4. Stasis packs
- Keep a small supply for emergency, but otherwise they can be sold for valuable credits (3 for 3750) due to the fact that you can restore Stasis simply by hanging around a safe place and waiting. At the most basic level, it takes
3.5 minutes
to regenerate ONE segment of the Stasis meter.

5. Kinesis-Impale
- Learn to use this and Stasis accurately. It takes 2 objects to fully impale and kill any man-size enemy which is much better than spending 6 Plasma Cutter ammo (worth 2500+ credits), but do not compromise your safety for ammo conservation.

6. Buy only what you need, don't be a shopaholic
- If you don't need a weapon/item, save your credits and don't buy it. Examples are: Flamethrower, Pulse Rifle, Seeker Rifle.. Knowing what you need and don't need is good practice in gauging your skills and knowledge of the game.

7. Take only what you need
- Lacking inventory space? Leave the schematics for weapons you don't need alone. Again examples are: Flamethrower, Pulse Rifle, Seeker Rifle.

8. Be a Miser
- Feeling unconfident? Got time to burn? Consider backtracking for any items you left behind or to the previous store to dump whatever extras you have in the inventory, then pickup stuff you left behind earlier due to lack of inventory space. They can sold later for credits and used to buy Power Nodes. However, if you die later on, this can be quite a chore and frustrating task, it's your call.

9. Set up your battleground, plan ahead
- You know the necros are gonna spawn after you hit that switch, what do you do? Pickup any items you can use to impale and put them in a place where you can easily grab and throw, then grab and throw again with minimal movement of the camera. Use boxes to set up temporary barriers. Boxes can be stack to provide cover or as temporary obstacles that slow enemies down.

10. Are they dead?
- Some enemies tend to fake-deaths and lie on the floor waiting for you to approach. If the body
can't
be Kinesis-Grabbed, then its still alive.

1.2 - Weapons & Upgrades:

The section only focuses on the weapons that have proven to be essentials with a large majority of players. All other weapons not listed here are to be purchased only if you feel absolutely comfortable with them.

Effective ammo and item management will allow you to sell extras for credits and use them to purchase crucial Power Nodes.

Plasma Cutter

Weapon Cost:
Nil

Primary Fire:
Vertical 3-point laser

Secondary Fire:
Switches gun barrel to horizontal position (doesn't fire)

Ammo Cost:
1200 credits for 6 pc (Stacks up to 25 per inventory slot.

Usefulness:
Extremely important, all round usefulness and crucial for final fight.

Line Gun

Weapon Cost:

Primary Fire:
Horizontal laser beam, width can be upgraded

Secondary Fire:
Single laser grenade on the floor that explodes in 3-4 seconds

Ammo Cost:
2000 credits for 2 pc (Stacks up to 6 per inventory slot)

Comments:
Limited to early chapters only, high ammo cost combined with limited stacking is extremely disadvantageous. 3-4 seconds is simply too long on later chapters where the Dark Elites are much faster and tend to rush more often.

Force Gun

Weapon Cost:

Primary Fire:
Emits a large burst of gravitational energy, knocking back any enemies within short range

Secondary Fire:
Charges up and shoots a single

piercing energy beam, blowing through anything in its path

Ammo Cost:
900 for 3 pc

Comments:
Your pump-action shotgun with huge damaging potential when used in close proximities and a very safe weapon that forces enemies back, combined with low ammo cost and decent ammo stacking in inventory.

Contact Beam

Weapon Cost:

Primary Fire:
Charges up and then releases high damage energy blast

Secondary Fire:
Issac drives the gun into the ground, knocking all enemies within range off their feet + stasis effect when upgraded

Ammo Cost:
2000 credits for 1 pc (Stacks up to 6 per slot)

Comments:
Extremely useful as panic button when surrounded, or to buy yourself time to dismember/stomp enemies, especially when upgraded with the Special Stasis effect.

Detonator

Weapon Cost:

Primary Fire:
Fires proximity sensing mine that attaches to flat surface, will detonate if any object interferes with sensing line or if the attached surface moves.

Secondary Fire:
Deactivates mines, allowing for retrieval

Ammo Cost:
1200 credits for 3 pc (Stacks up to 10 per slot)

Comments:
Highly useful in most situations when combined with player's knowledge of incoming threats, deadly when attached to floor and senses upwards, recommended for covering spawn and blind spots.

Javelin Gun

Weapon Cost:
11,000 credits

Primary Fire:
Fires single piercing projectile that impales enemies.

Secondary Fire:
Electrifies previous javelin projectile forming a brief electrical field around it electrifying/stunning nearby targets. Upgrading the Special effect makes the Javelin subsequently self-destruct with a mini-explosion dealing more damage. While the field is active you can't fire any shots.

Ammo Cost:
400 credits for 2 pc (Stacks up to 10 per slot)

Comments:
Slow fire-rate and need for precise accuracy are balanced by the strong stopping power and crowd-control ability of the secondary fire. Relatively unused among the community but gaining popularity by virtue of Landscape97's video walkthroughs. (See video section)

Recommended Upgrade Path:

1. Plasma Cutter: Starting from the initial DMG slot, go straight for the SPC slot to add fire damage. Then go for the remaining DMG slots

2. RIG Health: Upgrade health as soon as possible, minimum once every 2 chapters

3. Contact Beam: Go for the ALT path up to SPC slot for stasis effect on ALT attack

4. RIG Stasis: Plays an important roles starting from Chapters 9-13, consider upgrading Duration and Numbers of Shots at least twice each.

5. Detonator: Only upgrade DMG if you think you have spare Nodes taking into account of the essential upgrades above.

1.3 - Deadspace Ignition Bonus and DLC Weapons & Armor Suit Packs:

Deadspace Ignition Bonus

Having a Deadspace Ignition 100% save from the same region (i.e Ignition from US PSN and DS2 US copy) unlocks Conduit Rooms throughout the game that contains medpacks, ammo and items. They are separate from the Power Node rooms.

1. Hacker Suit - Found in Chapter 3 Conduit Room. +15% Armor + 15 Inventory Slots

2. Hacker contact beam - Found in chapter 9 Conduit Room. Reload Speed -0.1 sec, ALT DMG +5%

DLC MARTIAL LAW PACK: (USD $5)

EarthGov Bundle

EarthGov Security Suit (Detonator/Seeker Rifle/Pulse Rifle DMG +5%)

EarthGov Pulse Rifle (ALT-DMG +5%, REL -10%)

EarthGov Seeker Rifle (Primary DMG +5%, SPD +5%)

EarthGov Detonator (Primary DMG +10%, SPD +5%)

Bloody Bundle

Bloody Vintage Suit (DMG +5% for Flamethrower, Javelin Gun, Force Gun)

Bloody Flamethrower (Primary DMG +5%, Reload -10%)

Bloody Javelin Gun (ALT-DMG +10%, Reload -5%)

Bloody Force Gun (ALT-DMG +5%, SPD +5%)

DLC SUPER NOVA PACK: (USD $5) **Recommended**

Forged Bundle

Forged Engineering Suit (+15% Healing)

Forged Plasma Cutter (Primary DMG +10%, Reload -5%)

Forged Line Gun (ALT-DMG +10%, SPD +5%)

Forged Ripper (Primary Fire Duration +1 sec, ALT-DMG +10%)

Heavy-Duty Bundle

Heavy-Duty Vintage Suit (Line Gun/Detonator/Contact Beam DMG +5%)

Heavy-Duty Line Gun (Primary DMG +5%, Reload -10%)

Heavy-Duty Contact Beam (Primary Charge Time -0.1 seconds, Primary DMG +5%)

Heavy-Duty Detonator (Primary DMG +5%, Reload -10%)

Agility Bundle

Agility Advanced Suit (Stasis Duration +10% )

Agility Rivet Gun (Reload -5%, SPD +5%)

Agility Plasma Cutter (Reload -5%, SPD +5%)

Agility Pulse Rifle (Reload -5%, SPD +5%)

DLC OCCUPATIONAL HAZARD PACK: (USD $5)

Hazard Bundle

Hazard Suit (Stasis Duration +5%)

Hazard Line Gun (ALT-DMG +5%, Reload -5%)

Triage Bundle

Triage Suit (+10% Healing)

Triage Javelin Gun (Primary DMG +10%, Reload -5%)

Shockpoint Bundle

Shockpoint Suit (Stasis Recharge SPD +5%)

Shockpoint Ripper (Primary Duration +1 sec, Reload -5%)

Edited by yewjhin

2.0. Known Exploits

2.1 - Unlimited Nodes: (Usable in Hardcore mode)

Original Link: http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/dead-space-2/165706-unlimited-node-glitch.html

Important read first before you do this glitch:

1) Firstly make sure you pick up 99 not more than that.

2) Don't and remember Don't pick up the nodes to quick, example when u pick up a node a message will say "power node acquired" once u see the message disappear pick up the next one.

3) once you've entered the crawl space to the next room, leave the room and save, come back to the bench and shop to do your upgrades.

Follow the steps above, if you dont the game starts to bug/glitch out making it unplayable.

this works for Hardcore.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWll1ERd0SY]Dead Space 2 Chapter 1 Infinite PowerNode/Money Glitch Quicker Way to do it - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I0ksWTjgrI]Dead Space 2 Chapter 1 Infinite Power Nodes/Money - No Save/Load Glitch - YouTube[/ame]

2.2 - Unlimited Money:(Requires Weapons & Suits DLC)

Original Link: http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/dead-space-2/91773-unlimited-money-glitch-beginning-game.html

You need one of the two DLC packs that give you a Detonator for this to work. Once you get to the first store, get your free Detonator (or two if you have both packs) and shoot out and deactivate all the mines, then sell the empty gun or guns and rebuy them back and repeat.

Depending on if you have only one or both guns you can get 3 or 6 mines every time. Each mine sells for 200 credits so do the math. if you fill your inventory up with these u can get about 30k (15 slots from DLC times 2000 credits per stack of 10 mines). the first time you get to a bench, if you go tothe next room in chapter 2 you can open the power node door and get the skematic for the power node, and then go back and grind money to max out your stuff.

It took me about 30 minutes to get 30k credits so if you wanted to max your stuff it would take a while, but im sure it would make Hardcore a lot easier

2.3 - Semi-Unlimited Money/Items in Chapter 7:

Original Link: http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/dead-space-2/90950-glitch-found-yewjhin-more-explore.html

Note: Limited use for Hardcore Mode, but useful for other difficulties

In chapter 7, right before the part where you align solar arrays out in the vacuum of space, there is a room unlocked by using a node next to a save station. I don't remember what's inside initially because I picked up everything and saved. BUT I have been able to make semiconductors and other supplies respawn by reloading my save.

Now, what to do:

1) Save outside the room in question

2) Pick up the stuff you want

3) Save again

4) Continue until you are outside in space

5) Quit and reload your save

6) The stuff is back WOHO! :dance:

Now there's some problems here.

First:

I can't seem to get any nodes, perhaps because 1) There were none there to begin with or 2) You can only replicate stuff that's already there (I have cloned a semiconductor by leaving it and doing this and found two stacked on each other) or 3) I'm unlucky and it's kinda random

Second: This place is not near any store. Otherwise you could make some serious bucks by selling the semiconductors.

I'm gonna try with similar rooms later on that are near a store. But this could be something to take note of if you want it easier and just want one Zealot playthrough.

Gotta thank yewjhin for inspiring me to try stuff like this out! :applause:

Now, are anyone else out there able to replicate this or did i just get some random save glitch?

[Edit] Have gotten mixed results by just picking stuff up or moving them and reloading directly without all the out in space part. This seems very much like the money glitch in DS1.

[Edit 2] You can duplicate stuff by moving them to the floor and save/reload. Credits galore if you have the time to do it.

2.4 - Unlimited Power Nodes in Chapter 14:

Original Link: http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/dead-space-2/90639-unlimited-power-nodes-glitch-exploit.html

The Save Station in the is located on Chapter 14 after the anti-gravity section. Shortly after sticking your eye with needle, you'll be chased by the necromorph that doesn't die. You'll eventually reach the anti-gravity section. After you pass the anti gravity section, you go through two doors and on your right will be a door requiring a power node for access. This is room that replenishing the items. You'll find the Save Station two more doors if you head left from that T intersection.

1. Unlock the door with a power node. Title above door "6: Secure Storage, Power Node Access Only"

2. Advance through two more doors to reach a Store, Bench, and Save Station.

3. Save at Save Station after the anti-gravity section on Chapter 14.

4. Reload the save point by quitting to main menu

5. Back track to the anti-gravity area (most of time you can go directly to the room). Once you get back to the anti-gravity area, go back through the last two doors and go into the room on your right. This is the room that required a power node to open. Inside this room is where I find either 2 power nodes, 1 ruby semiconductor, and/or 3k credit.

6. Go back to Save Station and save the game.

7. Repeat steps 4-6

NOTE: if you start finding only credits in the room, try going all the way back to the switch in the antigravity area, then go to the room. Doing this has reset the 2 power nodes for me.

Video by PowerPyx

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KodJ4iQncHs]YouTube - Dead Space 2 - Infinite Power Nodes & Semiconductors Glitch[/ame]

Edited by yewjhin

3.0 Necromorph Analysis: (Some images courtesy of G4TV)

Slasher/Spitter/Enhanced Slasher

http://i.imgur.com/0dvr6Hc.png

- Feature: Has two extra arm-blades behind shoulders. A variant the "Spitter" can shoot long range projectiles

- Movement: Fast (Very fast for Dark Slasher)

- Weakpoint: Dismember both arms to confirm-kill. Dismembering legs will make it crawl

- Most Effective weapons: Plasma Cutter, Line Gun against regular Slasher. Contact Beam, Line Gun (Secondary) against Dark Slasher.

- Strategy: Just dismember them

Puker/Enhanced Puker

http://i.imgur.com/OfN5NTi.jpg

- Feature: Spits long rage projectile that slow you down (no damage), Short-range vomit that deals very high damage (almost instant-kill for Dark Spitter).

- Movement: Normal (Very fast for Dark Spitter)

- Weakpoint: Dismember both arms to confirm-kill. Dismembering legs will make it crawl

- Most Effective weapons: Plasma Cutter, Line Gun against regular Spitter. Stasis+Contact Beam, Line Gun (Secondary) against Dark Spitter.

- Strategy: Get rid A.S.A.P as the long-range projectile's slow effect is very annoying and can disrupt your rhythm especially when faced with other necromorphs. The Puker's short-range vomit is also highly dangerous and must be avoided at all costs.

Leaper/Enhanced Leaper

http://images.wikia.com/deadspace/images/5/5e/Leaper_DS1.jpg

- Feature: Has long hook-tail instead of legs

- Movement: Leaps very long distances and slashes you at the same time and quickly stabs you with tail upon landing, very dangerous

- Weakpoint: Dismember both arms and/or tail to confirm-kill.

- Most Effective weapons: Plasma Cutter

- Strategy: Stasis + Impale/Plasma Cutter from far, Stasis + Stomp if nearby

Exploder

http://i.imgur.com/r5z5n0p.jpg

- Feature: Has exploding sac on one arm, will attempt kamikaze by hitting you with the sac

- Movement: Average speed

- Weakpoint: Shoot the sac from afar or you might die from the resulting explosion on Zealot difficulty

- Most Effective weapons: Any, as long as you target the sac from safe position. Force Gun will dismember/kill it at a short range without detonating the sac.

The Pack

http://i.imgur.com/B1edUdc.jpg

- Feature: Looks like kid-size Slasher

- Movement: Very fast

- Weakpoint: Shoot any limb for one-hit-kill

- Most Effective weapons: Plasma Cutter, Ripper, Flamethrower

Lurker/Enhanced Lurker

http://i.imgur.com/XDxFgdo.jpg

- Feature: Infant size, extends three tentacles that shoot projectiles

- Movement: Can climb up walls and ceilings, tends to stay at long distance

- Weakpoint: Dismember 2 tentacles for confirm-kill

- Most Effective weapons: Kinetic-Impale (one-hit), Plasma Cutter, Line Gun

Crawler

http://i.imgur.com/8EcTgDD.jpg

- Feature: Infant size, has exploding sac on the back

- Movement: Slow, crawls on the ground

- Weakpoint: Dismember the head or shoot the sac

- Most Effective weapons: Plasma Cutter and Force Gun for dismemberment (and "The Nanny" trophy), or any other weapon when targetting the sac.

Stalker

http://i.imgur.com/BNI3hU5.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/FYCvIQg.jpg

- Feature: Giant ostrich

- Movement: Runs and hides from cover-to-cover, may attempt to flank player if given space. Will extend head outwards to "peek" at players, giving away their location and possible attacking path

- Weakpoint: None

- Most Effective weapons: Plasma Cutter, Detonator, Seeker Rifle

- Strategy: Camp in a safe corner, lay Detonator Mines on all possible attacking paths, use Stasis if they get too close then sidestep it and kill it.

Pregnant

http://i.imgur.com/zsJc0a2.jpg

- Location: Prominently found in Chapter 6, and rarely in later chapters.

- Feature: Big round belly with thin arms, explodes and releases Parasites if not killed properly

- Movement: Average speed but will run upon spotting player

- Weakpoint: Dismember both arms

- Most Effective weapons: Plasma Cutter

- Strategy: Do NOT aim at the belly. Stasis if you need to aim and break off the arms as precise as possible

Guardian

http://i.imgur.com/Ah3l4FU.jpg

- Feature: Instant-kills player with tentacles when within range if not taken down; Spits out infant Lurkers with a single tentacle which cannot not move,

- Movement: None

- Weakpoint: Sever all tentacles extending from belly that is attached to four corners of the wall

- Most Effective Weapons: Line Gun (Secondary), Detonator, Contact Beam

- Strategy: Take down from afar A.S.A.P to prevent ammo wastage on spawned Infants.

Brute

http://i.imgur.com/j5axTZp.jpg

- Location: Very briefly in Chapter 2; Chapter 7, Chapter 10, Chapter 13

- Feature: Huge arms, dismembering one limb will permanently disable movement and it will resort to spitting mines

- Movement: Faster than average, can charge the player at relatively fast speeds for alot of damage

- Weakpoint: 2 areas between shoulders and body

- Most Effective Weapons: Plasma cutter, Contact Beam, Line Gun (secondary)

- Strategy: Stasis + Plasma Cutter/Line Gun, Contact Beam from afar

Tripod

http://i.imgur.com/Qd5MHRq.png

- Feature: Two long and thin arms, tentacle-blade extends from mouth in the middle and slashes player when in range

- Movement: Moves using both limbs, can continue moving even if one limb is severed

- Weakpoint: 2 areas in middle of both arms

- Most Effective Weapons: Plasma Cutter

- Strategy: Stasis + Plasma Cutter/Line Gun, keep your distance at all times by running in circles

Hunter/Ubermorph

http://i.imgur.com/CqtRL0F.png

- Feature: Very strong and has ability to regenerate limbs, Immortal

- Movement: Faster than regular Slasher

- Most Effective Weapons: Plasma cutter

- Strategy: Cut off all limbs, stasis it then run off or do whatever you have to do

Infector

http://i.imgur.com/zHa1cxi.jpg

- Feature: Can transform dead human corpses into Necromorphs - Slashers

- Movement: Fast

- Weakpoint: Wings

- Most Effective Weapons: Plasma Cutter, Force Gun

- Strategy: Aim to kill immediately a.s.a.p or be prepared to waste alot of ammo dealing with new enemies.

Cyst

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100507165225/deadspace/images/thumb/5/52/Cyst.jpg/185px-Cyst.jpg

- Feature: Round, fires highly damaging explosive forwards upon detecting approaching object

- Most Effective Weapons: Any

- Strategy: Throw anything at it to make it spit out the explosive, and quickly grab it and throw it back at the cyst, or let it drop if the cyst is on the ground in spitting upwards and there's gravity.

Nest

http://i.imgur.com/av7uNzI.jpg

- Feature: Looks like Giant Cyst; Upon closer inspection, reveals tentacle that shoots homing projectiles

- Weakpoint: 3 Glowing sacs on the inner tentacle

- Most Effective Weapons: Plasma Cutter, Detonator, Force Gun

- Strategy: Use :l2: to boost yourself out of the way of incoming projectiles. Stasis the tentacle, shoot all 3 sacs with the Cutter or 1 mine with the Detonator. If you can get in close, the Force Gun can instant-kill 80% of the time.

Edited by yewjhin

4.0 Chapter Breakdown

Recommended Save Points:

Suggestion 1 (For not-so-good players)

- Chapter 3: Plaza before the "Random Spawn" group (see Necromorph threat breakdown)

- Chapter 8: After escaping from Transport Hub

- Chapter 12: After completing the drill section

Suggestion 2 (For average players)

- Chapter 6: Plaza where the "Random Spawn" was, except now there's 2 Pregnants and 2 Scorpions (4 more spawn if you're too slow to get to the exit)

- Chapter 10: Before entering the Ishimura

- Chapter 13: Before the eye surgery

Suggestion 3 (For highly confident players)

- Chapter 8: After escaping Transport Hub

- Chapter 11: After escaping Ishimura

- Chapter 14: Before the final fight

Note: I will only highlight the frequently missed items in the following chapters. You are expected to have gone through the game at least once and be fairly familiar with Schematic locations and the standard locations of crates/ammo/items.

List of Power Nodes, Schematics and Semiconductors by Chapter: http://wikigameguides.com/Dead_Space_2/wiki/Power_Node_Schematic_and_Semiconductor_Locations-4850

Chapter 1

If you can't survive past this chapter, I really can't help you. That said, remember to pick up all 5 Power Nodes available in this chapter. I would say these 5 are absolutely crucial for your survival and ensuring you save as much ammo as possible by upgrading tthe Plasma Cutter.

For the Tripod battle, try not to run too far. The tripod can leap a fairly long distance and if you're too far/fast he'll do a double leap and land right on top of you, taking away 50% of your health.

Power Node & Schematic Locations:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkqLIT7ie3M]YouTube - Dead Space 2 Power Nodes and Schematics Locations Part 1 HD[/ame]

Chapter 2

The room where a Slasher pretends to be dead on the floor, there's 3 Exploders that spawn after you kill him and a Scorpion. Take position at the corner facing the exit door and a hatch to the right it. First one Exploder will come from the entrance you entered the room, then another 2, then the last one comes out from this hatch. Quickly kill that last one.

If you move around, it is very likely the last exploder may spawn out from somewhere totally unexpected and end your journey right here.

At the tram station, you observe an Infector transforming a corpse in the train. Wait until the doors open, immediately stasis both of them and kill it as fast as you can. Another slasher will also come up behind you when the first two are dead.

Inside the train, break the vertical poles to be used as ammo for Kinesis-Impale (credits 8BitArtist). Set 6-7 of them up near the hack panel in anticipation of 2 Slashers and 1 Puker so you don't have to move around to grab them.

For the upside down battle, your Plasma Cutter should have been decently upgraded, take them down as fast as you can and watch out for the 2 Exploders

Chapter 3

Near the beginning of the chapter where you're attacked by The Pack, stand near end of the horizontal elevator closest to the save point, that way they all come to you via the elevator and line up infront of you. Purchase the Line Gun at the store here. There are hidden Credits behind the toys in the shop windows.

At the mall area in Chapter 3, if you look at the lower level, you'll find a Semiconductor and some credits/ammo as well. Break the glass "railing" and kinesis them to you. You'll find similar items in the lower level when you first meet Ellie in Chapter 6 at the same area. Credits OldSnoova

The hardest battle of this chapter is in the plaza with a replica marker (red lit area with candles). There's save point before this, I made my first save here because the next enemy group here is too random. I've experienced the following composition:

1 Infector + 2 Pukers + 1 Slasher + 1 Exploder

2 Infector + 1 Puker + 2 Exploders

1 Infector + 1 Puker + 3 Exploders (this is hell)

Your best chance of survival is to quickly launch the Line Gun's ALT attack at the corpse the infector is working on, and hide behind the Replica Marker up the steps on your left. Launch more of the Line Gun's ALT grenade at the lower steps leading to the exit if you see Pukers from that direction. Observe carefully for Exploders, stasis them if you must and take them out as priority #1.

Chapter 4

Not particularly hard at any point, in the round study room, while you're on the upper floor, quickly run towards the infector and kill it before it's done. Go downstairs and to your right there's another infector, launch the Line Gun Grenade then quickly face forwards to spot another infector and more enemies coming in through a hatch.

For the Stalker battle, back up all the way to the broken double doors, pickup the poles on the ground and use them at any of the stupid birds that charge you. Kill one of them, rip off their claws and use them as Impale ammo against the remaining living counterparts.

Chapter 5

The 3rd cold room as a Puker jumping out of a cylinder on the side, and in the 4th room you'll be attacked by 1 Slasher, 1 Puker, another 2 Slashers, followed by another Puker and a pretend-dead Slasher on the floor.

In the gravity control room, take care not be killed by the fan blades, as well as the opening hatch at the top which you can stasis. For the battle with the Tripod and The Pack, the Cutter should serve you well in ALT fire mode. Upstairs, you'll be faced with a couple of Slashers, Pukers and Exploders. You can skip some of them if you're quick to get to the next room, where's there's a leg-less Stalker waiting inside.

You will be ambushed by a Slasher in the elevator on your way to the top to meet Daina. After the cutscene its the boss battle with the Tormentor, and the chapter ends.

Chapter 6

The start of this chapter should not pose too much problems, until you get to the Plaza where a Pregnant appears near the exit, another Pregnant behind you, and then 2 Leapers. After you eliminate all 4, immediately head for the exit to the hallway filled with Cysts, or another 4 Leapers will appear in the Plaza.

Pass the hallway, you'll encounter Stalkers, then back to the area where you first fought The Pack in Chapter 3. There's a Power Node on your right under a broken door. Beware of the Cyst ontop of the entrance to the Nursery/Elementary School.

The Nursery shouldn't pose too much of a problem except for the stage area. Make good use of the Crawlers' exploding deaths to take out nearby enemies.

Finally you get to the Transport Hub and fight a Brute, where Stasis is your best friend.

Edited by yewjhin

Chapter 7

As mentioned in the trophy guide, the Detonator is the weapon of choice for the elevator fight. Carry at least 2-3 Medpacks with you. If you have DLC weapons, obviously the Force Gun and Contact Beam are good alternatives.

At the top, beware of Cysts, especially the one ontop of the entrance again. When you reach the mainframe, plant Detonator Mines on left and right where the Power Cores will appear, as a Slasher and a Dark Slasher will appear after you fix the fuses in both circuit rooms. Do remember to grab Peng as well, as there's stuff in that room worth at least 30,000 credits.

When the Power Cores appear for you to smash, again plant Detonator Mines on the left and right pathways then proceed to smash the cores.

The rest of the chapter should not be a problem, just take precaution during the Free-Fall section after aligning the Solar Arrays.

Past that, gear up for the big fight back at the Transport Hub, bring enough Med Packs and Ammo.

Chapter 8

When you start to walk on some metal catwalks, turn around the look slightly to the left at the top of the door you came out of, there's a Semiconductor wedged up there. Credits OldSnoova.

Be very careful in the room with a Power Node room where you'll be attacked by a Slasher and 2 Dark Slashers. Hiding in the Node room won't work as they'll come in from above you. A Pregnant awaits in the next room and another Slasher will drop down behind you.

Again beware once you enter the Processing Plant. 3-4 enemies infront, 1 behind. The following Zero-G area shouldn't be too hard. Very short chapter.

Chapter 9

Outside, be very careful as there's going to be 3 Leapers and a Slasher, then go up elevator and watch for the slasher from the vent, followed by bunch of Crawlers. Into the control room, 1 Puker followed by 2 Lurkers.

Next you meet the Divider for the first time. Force Gun works very good on him, and go down an elevator into a Decompression window room.

Moving forward is a Guardian, get rid of him with the Fire cylinder. As you go up the elevator beside it, be prepared to take out a slasher, an exploder and a pregnant very quickly or risk dying. Completing and activating the elevator console will spawn two Dark Slashers so make sure you're prepared. What I do is plant mines on both entrances, and a second line of mines just behind for safety.

When you step off the elevator, you enter another big area filled with Stalkers. Plan your attacks and keep your eyes peeled. Past that is a Guardian and then a room filled with Cysts so watch your step.

Thereafter is the Tripod hive where you have to blow up the NCL3 tanks with Fire Cylinders. As mentioned in the Trophy Guide, when the Tripod confronts you, do NOT kill it but instead just dismember one of its limbs to slow it down, and focus on the tank instead.

Chapter 10

Back on the Ishimura, at the flight lounge, on your left is a double door blocked by crates, a Power Node lies that way and leads to a dead end. You'll first encounter two Brutes one after the other followed by 2-3 Slashers in the long dark hallway and there won't be any further encounters until after the Decontamination room, where left leads to another Power Node and dead end, and go right to progress the story.

No enemies in the Gravity Tether control room, but you're going to be ambushed by The Pack and Dark Slashers/Pukers once you step into the Decontamination Room again. It's a tight room so prepare accordingly. What I do is use the Cutter against The Pack, Contact Beam's ALT Stasis effect when the Dark necros appear and quickly switch to the Force Gun/Plasma Cutter to take out the Puker first as the room is small and it will tend to use the highly damaging vomit instead of projectile.

In the blue room, where you first fought the Regenerator back in DS1 for those who played it, two pairs of Dark Slashers and Exploders will spawn, then after hacking the panel followed by a Dark Slasher, Dark Puker and a Slasher or Exploder.

In the faulty generator room, once you go down the elevator enemies will spawn, especially two Leapers that will appear from the vent just infront of the elevator on the lower level. What you can do is plant Detonator mines surrounding the elevator/vent, or go back up to the platform you moved using Kinesis, they won't attack you there but instead crawl back to their hiding places. Remember there's a Stasis station upstairs.

After you deactivate the Generator, a couple more Dark Slashers and Leapers might spawn so don't rush forward.

In the Zero-G area with the Lurkers, there's a Power Node after the first pile of debris near the ceiling, and then you can rush forward ignoring the enemies and go for the exit. Eventually you'll get to the Bridge, first a Leaper spawns to your right, followed by 2 Stalkers. They won't follow you if you retreat back to where you came from, so use this to your advantage to lure, attack and retreat.

A couple of Dark Pukers will spawn as well. Activate the Gravity Controls in the control room below and this ends the chapter.

Chapter 11

The opening fight down the slope against the Stalkers is best fought if you rush to exit and camp there instead. Crawlers will follow suit after the first 2 Stalkers are dead. There's poles near the door on the right side. Beware of Cysts in the next area.

In the big open area, I find the Contact Beam's primary fire to be very useful, as well as keeping Detonator mines behind me just incase. When you slot in the power module, crawlers and lurkers will begin to spawn. There's a couple of Stasis cylinders on the right to make short work of all enemies, and Fire Cylinders on the upper level which you can move around.

Past the fight with the Giant Cyst, you come to the most difficult part, the elevator fight. The Contact Beam and Force Gun are crucial here, bring lots of medpacks just in case. Don't forget the QTE events with Nicole and Stross!

I found a Diamond Semiconductor (worth 25,000 credits) while running through Chapter 11's mines. After the big, two-level fight and just before you confront Stross (who's holding the "special" screwdriver) behind a wire fence in a cut-scene, turn around and look to your upper right in the ceiling along the corridor... Diamond Semiconductor, baby! You can also grab it after the cutscene as well.

There's also TONS of stuff up there on the upper parts of the fence in that area: an item box, some credits and some ammo, but I can't kinesis anything toward me.

Chapter 12

When taking the horizontal mine lift to get a piece for the drill, 2 Dark Slashers will spawn, and a Dark Puker appears when you're on your way back. There's lot of items lying around the area, especially a Diamond Semiconductor and a Power Node.

After slotting in the Power Module and hacking the panel on the drill, The Pack will spawn while you wait for the drill to turn around and Ellie lowers the elevator. It shouldn't be hard to protect yourself during this period as you should be ready to run onto the elevator as soon as possible and will only have to face 3-4 of The Pack.

While on the drill, stay around the area infront of Ellie and most Lurkers should miss you. Beware of enemies that attempt to board the drill, especially the Pukers. Carry a safe supply of medpacks.

Chapter 13

Hey man I didn't see this anywhere in the guide or thread but there are a few occasions where Issac can damage the environment for items.

For example in the Government Sector as Issac is making his way through that area you can melee punch several orange machines for health/ammo and at least one ATM for a sweet 10,000 cr. drop

Edited by yewjhin

5.0. Hardcore Video Walkthroughs

By Landscape97:

YouTube - Landscape97's Channel

[spoiler=landscape]

Chapters 1-4

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcUdmMuce4M]YouTube - Dead Space 2 Hard Core Walkthrough Chapter1.2.3.4[/ame]

Chapters 5-7

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_KW5HOd4b8]YouTube - Dead Space 2 Hard Core Walkthrough Chapter5.6.7[/ame]

Chapters 8-10

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baUVo4eU7Zo]YouTube - Dead Space 2 Hard Core Walkthrough Chapter8.9.10[/ame]

Chapters 11-13

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o_JhCb64Uo]YouTube - Dead Space 2 Hard Core Walkthrough Chapter10.11.12.13[/ame]

Chapters 13-15

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-VrdtEXA_w]YouTube - Dead Space 2 Hard Core Walkthrough Chapter13.14.15[/ame]

Alternative Videos by Chapter Playlist by Wolfwood824

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Edited by yewjhin

4. Stasis packs - Largely unneeded, due to the fact that you can restore Stasis simply by hanging around a safe place and waiting, this is not necessarily required in Zealot but will come in handy for Hardcore, so best to get used to it. At the most basic level, it takes 3.5 minutes to regenerate ONE segment of the Stasis meter.

I found this to be false, stasis saved my life in certain choke points early on when I choose not to upgrade it. It runs empty after 2 shots so refilling it comes in handy when in a tight spot. Very usefull against the tripod nest battle.

Edited by BF-Phoenix86

I found this to be false, stasis saved my life in certain choke points early on when I choose not to upgrade it. It runs empty after 2 shots so refilling it comes in handy when in a tight spot. Very usefull against the tripod nest battle.

As mentioned, they are largely unneeded except for big fights such as the enemy swarm in the Transport Hub near end of Chpater 7, the big open area in Chapter 8 where you need to plug a Power Core to open a door etc etc...

I got to Ch.10 without packs or upgrading the Stasis. 3 of these sell for a decent 3,750 credits, 1/3 of the cost of a Power Node.

Planning battles and using Stasis efficiently saves on the packs, and in turn allows me to buy Power Nodes that make my weapons, rig health and rig stasis even more efficient.

nice guide it'll help a lot.

I don't know if it's been said before but you could add that if you kinesis pull every corpse in a room to you and stomp them, then the infectors have nothing to infect and will make those spots a lot easier.

If you know the areas where they spawn then it works great.;)

Great idea with a Hard Core guide yewjhin :) This will help us all out a lot as we're attempting Hard Core mode. Knowing where to strategically position yourself at different key points is a valuable survival technique. Also great with a video walkthrough for those tricky places, so thanks hckjimmypop and everyone else who contributes with tips and tricks for this awesome game.

Here's a guy who put up an entire HARDCORE walkthrough...

YouTube - Landscape97's Channel

nice one i just watched a litte of it and saw that he used javelin gun and that it's pretty effective. so i went from my chapter 9 save and actually switched from plasma cutter to javelin gun (took nodes out of plasma and put into javelin) and omg the javelin gun is way better than the plasma cutter. you need about 13 nodes to fill all alt points and the special one from the javelin gun and you pretty much kill everything with one shot + alt (electrify) and when you have the special of the javelin gun it even explodes. sure you shouldn't be standing next to it but if there are enemies next to it they are pretty much done as well. went from chapter 9 to the end (so yeah just got plat hehe) without dying using upgraded javelin gun in most situations, upgraded contract beam in some and unupgraded plasma cutter for those little guys that die from one shot or those spitting things on the wall/ceiling/ground.

using alternate attack after firing a spear uses one more spear (logical? not really but oh well) so 2 spears for 1+ kill and 2 spears cost 400 so pretty much nothing. even with full dmg in plasma cutter you'd still need 2-4 shots depending on enemy type to kill so you'd have to spend 3 times as much money per kill.

so i can just recommend switching from plasma cutter as "main" weapon to javelin gun when you have enough nodes (including the ones in the plasma cutter at chapter 7+) to get the special of the javelin gun.

Edited by UnholyInfinity

2.0. Known Exploits

2.1 - Unlimited Money:(Requires Weapons & Suits DLC)

Original Link: http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/dead-space-2/91773-unlimited-money-glitch-beginning-game.html

2.2 - Semi-Unlimited Money/Items in Chapter 7:

Original Link: http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/dead-space-2/90950-glitch-found-yewjhin-more-explore.html

2.3 - Unlimited Power Nodes in Chapter 14:

Original Link: http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/dead-space-2/90639-unlimited-power-nodes-glitch-exploit.html

Video by PowerPyx

Hi @ all,

i have a little extension on the Money Glitch.

Example: If you shout out the ammo and sell the detonator. you only have 3 rounds..

you can upgrade it to 4 rounds with one power node..

but if you sell it .. you lose the power node (and get only half the worth of it)

right? No .. you can keep it.. and it doesn`t matter if its 1 node or fully upgraded..

I tell you how

I bought the Supernova Pack, and there are 2 Line Gun`s.

And i Upgraded one of them, 4x .. 4 nodes..

and i accidently sold the one i upgraded.. (i shoud get the half price from the 4 nodes = 20 000 credits) but i didn`t get the money.

so why? .. if you have 2 same weapons from the DLC`s you can upgrade one of them and the other weapon is

upgraded too.

You can shoot out the ammo, sell the weapon and rebuy them for 0 credits. And the ammo is full.

(you still have the other weapon in the safe or inventar*). (*don`t know the english word lol :think: )

and you can refill the ammo on both weapons but never sell them both at once ..

you have to have always at least one of the upgraded weapons in your safe or inventar so the power nodes

can not be sold with the weapon. ..

that means you can upgread full capacity with the detonator (don`t know how many shots there are)

6 i think .. with 2 detonator each 6 shots.. (or more)

but not only the detonator, the line gun or the contact beam as well. (upgrad & sell them) .. that way you don`t have to reload and can save the ammo for your next play through .. (or on hardcore .. you will surely need ammo) ..

yo .. thats what i noticed :applause: .. i hope it will help some of you.

sorry for my english .. :p

Liebe Grüße aus Wien, Luka

nice one i just watched a litte of it and saw that he used javelin gun and that it's pretty effective. so i went from my chapter 9 save and actually switched from plasma cutter to javelin gun (took nodes out of plasma and put into javelin) and omg the javelin gun is way better than the plasma cutter. you need about 13 nodes to fill all alt points and the special one from the javelin gun and you pretty much kill everything with one shot + alt (electrify) and when you have the special of the javelin gun it even explodes. sure you shouldn't be standing next to it but if there are enemies next to it they are pretty much done as well. went from chapter 9 to the end (so yeah just got plat hehe) without dying using upgraded javelin gun in most situations, upgraded contract beam in some and unupgraded plasma cutter for those little guys that die from one shot or those spitting things on the wall/ceiling/ground.

using alternate attack after firing a spear uses one more spear (logical? not really but oh well) so 2 spears for 1+ kill and 2 spears cost 400 so pretty much nothing. even with full dmg in plasma cutter you'd still need 2-4 shots depending on enemy type to kill so you'd have to spend 3 times as much money per kill.

so i can just recommend switching from plasma cutter as "main" weapon to javelin gun when you have enough nodes (including the ones in the plasma cutter at chapter 7+) to get the special of the javelin gun.

hey mate seeing as how you had extensive use of the javelin gun can you tell me whether force gun + javelin gun will serve me well? i.e i use plasma cutter + javelin gun for the early stages and once i get the force gun schematic in 7 should i ditch the plasma cutter and use force gun?

is the javelin gun effective on the places where you are in a corner? like say the chapter 8 elevator ride, the chapter 11 ride and the drill? and also how do you take out the tripods on chapter 9 without the plasma cutter?

hey mate seeing as how you had extensive use of the javelin gun can you tell me whether force gun + javelin gun will serve me well? i.e i use plasma cutter + javelin gun for the early stages and once i get the force gun schematic in 7 should i ditch the plasma cutter and use force gun?

is the javelin gun effective on the places where you are in a corner? like say the chapter 8 elevator ride, the chapter 11 ride and the drill? and also how do you take out the tripods on chapter 9 without the plasma cutter?

well i guess you could use force gun + javelin gun the same way i used statis + javelin gun. keeping enemies away, shoot, alternate activate, dead. but since you can use statis for that and i never ran out of stasis packs i wouldn't use it for that. and no i don't think the javelin gun would be that effective in those places since you can't stand near the enemy if you have the special that explodes the spears. i used the contact beams alternate with special on those places, which also i think is the easiest way to do them.

i haven't played with the force gun much so if you can use it effectively in those places where i prefered the contact beam i guess the combination will work.

as for the tripods on ch. 9 (also saw that in the same video):

you only need to cut one arm off of the first one, making him crawl. the second one will never spawn if the first one doesn't die and you can outrun him easily. i'm not sure how much ammo you'd need with an unupgraded plasma cutter to cut one arm off since i switched to javelin gun at the first station after that fight, but i guess it's doable? then you only need to run in a big circle and just stop quickly tk the explosive to the right of that thing you need to blow up, throw and run another circle. repeart till it explodes and run to the elevator.

Edited by UnholyInfinity

well i guess you could use force gun + javelin gun the same way i used statis + javelin gun. keeping enemies away, shoot, alternate activate, dead. but since you can use statis for that and i never ran out of stasis packs i wouldn't use it for that. and no i don't think the javelin gun would be that effective in those places since you can't stand near the enemy if you have the special that explodes the spears. i used the contact beams alternate with special on those places, which also i think is the easiest way to do them.

i haven't played with the force gun much so if you can use it effectively in those places where i prefered the contact beam i guess the combination will work.

as for the tripods on ch. 9 (also saw that in the same video):

you only need to cut one arm off of the first one, making him crawl. the second one will never spawn if the first one doesn't die and you can outrun him easily. i'm not sure how much ammo you'd need with an unupgraded plasma cutter to cut one arm off since i switched to javelin gun at the first station after that fight, but i guess it's doable? then you only need to run in a big circle and just stop quickly tk the explosive to the right of that thing you need to blow up, throw and run another circle. repeart till it explodes and run to the elevator.

okay so what are the recommended weapons i should use for my hardcore? i am definitely planning on keeping the plasma cutter for the brute fights and i am 90% sure right now that i will use the javelin gun right off chapter 3, contact beam is a bit ... useless in my opinion the secondary fire takes too much ammo and the ammo for it is SHIT expensive =| ... this is where the force gun shines out for me, the force gun is really useful for the drill ride and the elevator ride too since both these events don't have dark necro's i think it's easier no?

and what should i do for the elevator ride on chapter 7 that part is DEFINITELY the biggest pain in the ass

okay so what are the recommended weapons i should use for my hardcore? i am definitely planning on keeping the plasma cutter for the brute fights and i am 90% sure right now that i will use the javelin gun right off chapter 3, contact beam is a bit ... useless in my opinion the secondary fire takes too much ammo and the ammo for it is SHIT expensive =| ... this is where the force gun shines out for me, the force gun is really useful for the drill ride and the elevator ride too since both these events don't have dark necro's i think it's easier no?

and what should i do for the elevator ride on chapter 7 that part is DEFINITELY the biggest pain in the ass

i'm sure many weapon combos work for hc. but i don't know how effective javelin gun will be until it's alt/spc path is maxed out since i maxed it out the moment i decided to use it. if you think force gun works in those situation then you won't need contact beam i guess though i didn't need to buy ammo for it once i even sold some since 1 shot is worth 1k so it might be useful to take the contact beam just for ammo to sell. and secondary fire takes too much ammo? doesn't it just take one shot like primary?

the chapter 7 elevator ride might be a problem. don't think javelin gun will be useful there since it's too slow. i didn't switch there yet so i used upgraded plasma cutter. full dmg upgrade still took 2 shots at a weak point to kill them. not sure if unupgraded plasma will need more?

Here's what helped me beat Hardcore with no problems:

-Carry 3 weapons. You'll get more ammo for the guns you actually use instead of having a 4th one "just to be safe". You'll be safer with more ammo for guns you will upgrade and use. As for which 3 weapons, I recommend the Forged Plasma Cutter, Bloody Force Gun and Heavy Duty Contact Beam/Hacker Contact Beam when you get the schematic. The regular non DLC ones would work fine. If you don't have the DLC, then buy the Supernova Pack at least.

- Remember exactly what will spawn and where. If you don't do this, you'll be overwhelmed really fast and spray ammo everywhere hitting nothing.

- Save at chapters 3, 8 and 13. Chapter 3 right before the room with the random spawn of guys where the gate closes on you, Chapter 8 right after the Transport Hub and Chapter 13 right after the drill part.

- Upgrade the PC and RIG health before anything else. Since you'll be using the PC more than anything else and you don't wanna die in 2 hits then do 4 chapters over again, it's something you should do ASAP. The Force Gun does it's job of throwing guys away without upgrading so keep it for last. Fully upgrade the Contact Beam's alt fire, it'll save you in so many situations. It's also perfect for Stalkers.

- Take a break after each save if you feel too much anxiety and stress. I did it all in one sitting which isn't practicing what I preach but then again, I didn't feel anxious or nervous.

Hope this helped at all.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, Stasis is your friend. Fully upgrade it and use it generously.

Edited by MegaMonkeyChunk