Hardcore mode was pretty fun and easy, actually.

Chairman Meow

The key is to plan out when you're going to save. For me, the trickiest part was the big fight at the end of Chapter 7, so I made my first save right there. I died two or three times, but I didn't have to replay anything so it was all good.

After that I was cruising. No deaths, only a few minor scares/screw ups, and if I ever did have to panic I had my alt fire Contact Beam to bail me out. Plus, I had so much money that I always had an overabundance of ammo and health packs on me.

Pretty easy, to be honest, though definitely a lot of fun. It's an intense experience because there's actually something at stake if you die. So for anyone who's hesitant to try Hardcore mode after reading the horror stories, don't worry it's very doable as long as you're careful and plan ahead. :)

I have just started hardcore and made my first save at chapter 5 just before the tripod and the pack.

I have taken my time and have not died once so far its not actually as hard as what I thought it would be.

I still only have the plasma cutter which is about half way upgraded, would anyone recommend buying another gun or not bother?

I have just started hardcore and made my first save at chapter 5 just before the tripod and the pack.

I have taken my time and have not died once so far its not actually as hard as what I thought it would be.

I still only have the plasma cutter which is about half way upgraded, would anyone recommend buying another gun or not bother?

I personally think that the PC is piss poor, but that's just my opinion. Some people think it is very good but I have noticed that on Hardcore you need 3 shots to kill an enemy and only if you aim at the limbs, which, with the semi fire mode of the PC and the speed of the enemies is not easy at all. Plus you only get 3 shots with each pickup. Such a waste. But that's my opinion.

The Ripper on the other hand is AMAZING. Just fire a blade and I gurantee you that you will rarely get hit. You see, even if someone is charging you, the blade stops them in front of you. Plus, you have time to carefully cut their limbs, unlike the Plasma Cutter.

Othen than that, the contact beam is the most useful for the life saving alt-fire. Force Gun is good if you upgrade it. Don't bother with any other weapon, ex Javelin Gun, Seeker rifle and the like. You get very little ammo per pickup and they rarely kill in one shot to make up for it.

To the OP now, I do agree that it isn't as difficult as everyone thinks. Just take it slow and always have more than 3 Health Packs on you. Other than that, if you get raped by falling debris in the final sequence (like I did) or generally get an instant death, well, that's just unlucky.

• 3 weeks later...

Some people will same the P.C is awesome but I reckon its because there using the DLC version which gives out 10% extra damage should the angle but up/down. I'd probably upgrade my rig a little bit of stasis as that would help and contact beam fully to stasis special ability.

My friend completed it with the Pulse Rifle and Contact beam

I've always used the Pulse Rifle for the final battle and found it to be ridiculously easy, even on Zealot Mode. I had the contact beam, but never even used it; just stasised the little bastards and Pulse the marker like there's no tomorrow. Does this strategy work for Hardcore, or should I re-think this?

That's the thing though. It's your strategy, not ours. Give it a go, see how it works for you.

Personally, I used line gun and plasma cutter. Mine Nicole, blast heart

I also have deemed the pulse rifle of little use. Too few ammo pickups, too high of ammo use

I used PC, Pulse Rifle, and Contact Beam for my run. Until the the last couple chapters(anything before eye poke) I used PC for most situations, the Pulse for pack and babies as they are one hit kills, and Contact for ammo drops to sell. Upgraded rig, stasis, PC, but left pulse and contact alone until the eye poke. Respec PC and sold pulse to power up Contact beam. Anything left over from went back into PC for fine tuning. Used secondary contact for freeze and run unless I needed to hack up the uber morph.

That was my run and it worked like a charm. Use what you are comfortable with and go for it.

I'm just curious is it possible to have another person play your hardcore run for you? For example I let someone play on my account and ask them to play dead space 2 on hardcore. Will you still have the trophy after swapping back accounts or no? PS. I really suck at Dead Space 2 and especially hardcore. I've reached to chapter 11 and used all my saves but I've tried so many times yet I keep dying. The farthest I've gotten is to chapter 15 with the room with the puker, and slasher climbing out of that hole and has a bunch of containers blocking the way.

I'm just curious is it possible to have another person play your hardcore run for you? For example I let someone play on my account and ask them to play dead space 2 on hardcore. Will you still have the trophy after swapping back accounts or no? PS. I really suck at Dead Space 2 and especially hardcore. I've reached to chapter 11 and used all my saves but I've tried so many times yet I keep dying. The farthest I've gotten is to chapter 15 with the room with the puker, and slasher climbing out of that hole and has a bunch of containers blocking the way.

Yes this is possible so long as they sync the trophy information up. The problem being, is that they would have to go through the campaign twice. One for unlock, one for play

Well I already have a hardcore save at chapter 11. All I need is the "Hard to The Core" trophy and I get platinum. Will my dead space 2 data not get on to the other persons system after swapping accounts. If any can help beat Hardcore for me because I suck at hardcore and am trying to platinum this game feel free to private message me.

Well I already have a hardcore save at chapter 11. All I need is the "Hard to The Core" trophy and I get platinum. Will my dead space 2 data not get on to the other persons system after swapping accounts. If any can help beat Hardcore for me because I suck at hardcore and am trying to platinum this game feel free to private message me.

Account Swapping is not allowed on the site.

And... if you made it that far, why not go further?

The save information is saved to YOUR PS3, not your account

And as stated before, account swapping is not allowed

Dude, seriously, what is the point. How could you feel good about something YOU didn't do?????? If you didn't complete it then how can you feel proud and show off your accomplishment. If you can't do it yourself, you shouldn't bother and forget the trophy and (P).

Before someone brings up boosting, that is a multiplayer thing and you need others to accomplish those anyways. So getting together to help others get those, at least they and you are doing YOUR part to get them. A single player trophy should always be done by yourself. All my single player I did by myself and I can say "I did that". Hard to the Core being one of them.

Instead of continuing to get frustrated with this ill-placed Save on Chapter 11, just restart the game and use the Saves on more appropiate places.

Restarting isn't that big of a deal, if you restart and use your 3 Saves properly, you're gonna waste less time than if you persisted on the Chapter 11 Save of the current playthrough.

It's better to die on Chapter 6 and watch and intro five times, than to have your 3rd Save placed on Chapter 10, for example, and having to do a perfect-flawless run across 50 tries.

And do it yourself, otherwise you won't have the right to say "I DID IT!" and won't have the immense satisfaction when the trophy pops up, which is the main reason most people get trophies in the first place.

EDIT: If you got that far even with your 3rd Save being on Chapter 11, then you can easily complete the game with the 3rd Save on Chapter 13 at least, I'm sure!

Edited by Knightmare29

WOW then this makes me look a dumb a** then. Well do any of you guys have any hardcore tips, what weapons to go with if I start hardcore again, what to level up and how much through out my hardcore run and anything else useful. Well once again sorry for being stupid as s***.

WOW then this makes me look a dumb a** then. Well do any of you guys have any hardcore tips, what weapons to go with if I start hardcore again, what to level up and how much through out my hardcore run and anything else useful. Well once again sorry for being stupid as s***.

I'll direct you to the following thread

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/dead-space-2/92413-dead-space-2-hardcore-mode-guide-encyclopedia.html

Everyone tends to approach it differently depending on their taste and what weapons they like. I can only tell you how I did my run. You may find it useful or completely pointless.

Saves.

1. I planted my first save on Chapter 5 before the tormentor fight. It took me 2 hours to get there and I didn't want to die in a instant kill sequence. It was a good spot for me.

2. Orginially I planned to save on chapter 9 before the tripod nest but I got nerves before the Zero-g bit on Chapter 8 so saved there. This wasn't too bad.

3. I saved before the drill ride on Chapter 12. I actually went up to Ellie and listened to her talk about using the drill then went back and saved so I wouldn't have to listen to it over and over if I died. From here it would only take an hour tops to beat the game so I was happy with that.

Weapons and upgrading.

First I set about upgrading Stasis. I used my first 5 nodes from Chapter 1 on just stasis energy. Get Stasis upgraded guick, it is a life saver, then do Rig and weapons simultaneous.

For my weapons I used the Plasma cutter as my primary weapon until I got the Ripper. I then concentrated on powering that up as my primary. It is a brillant weapon to use. Stasis enemies and then tear them to shreds. I kept the PC as secondary as it is a great long range weapon.

When the Contact Beam became available I bought that but didn't use it straight away. I kept it in my inventory to get ammo pick ups for it. Around chapter 10 or 11 I then powered up the CB to get the special on the Alt fire. Use it on the lift ride on chapter 11. It makes that fight very easy.

At my last save I respeced my Plasma Cutter and got rid of it and used the nodes to fully upgrade HP and do as much of the Contact Beam as possible. From here it was just my Ripper and CB. From here on it was pretty straight forward. Use the CB on the drill ride, run in circles to avoid the Lurker fire and Alt fire when necros climb on board. For Chapter 13 I stuck to the Ripper as much as possible. It took the Dark Brute down in two blades.

After the Eye poke machine I had around 50 rounds of CB ammo, more than enough to take me to the end. I just ran it through chp 14 and 15 using the alt fire to stop anything in it's tracks. It also works brilliantly for the final battle.

Good Luck with your attempt.

I disagree, it isn't easy at all. Far from it. But I guess it's because I played hard core as my second play through. Of course hard core is easy if you already have played the game 100 times before. Or maybe I'm really bad on playing this.

I was planning to save at chapter 7, but after dieing so many times I end up saving in beginning of chapter 5. Not to worry, I can save at chapter 10 next. After that I died several times more and even more on the free fall section in chapter 7. So I saved before the free fall in chapter 7. Next I was planning to save in beginning of chapter 13. After some more deaths I saved on beginning of chapter 11. So far it was frustrating and I have saved on bad locations (5, 7, 11). I had problems with the rotating lasers room on my first try so I knew I was doomed. But at this moment I've learned a lot and learned how to use my weapons more effectively. So from chapter 11 I reached chapter 15 without dieing. Then of course I died on the very last rock in the flying section in chapter 15.

Even when you watch a guide on youtube, this will be really hard. Unless you already learned how to play each chapter. If I play it from the beginning I would probably make through the whole game without dieing so much. But calling this easy is completely wrong. The game is fun though, so I agree on that.

(And why is this thread created again? Even from same poster? http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/dead-space-2/97881-hardcore-really-wasnt-difficult.html)

Edited by Lostbinary

• 3 weeks later...

I'm doing my first playthrough on PS3 though i did get all but hardcore achievements while owning a 360. It's a matter of reflex and some multitasking. Walking in various directions while looking in others and aiming, using stasis, walking backwards and picking some off etc etc.

My biggest problem were the 'morphs that spit freezing acid on isaac. He slows down so much that he becomes way an easy target.

My biggest problem were the 'morphs that spit freezing acid on isaac. He slows down so much that he becomes way an easy target.

I was really worried about the pukers too but the kinesis/catch acid/throw back for insta-kill is a cracking way of dealing with them which saves ammo too :D

You just need a couple of hours/day to play this game. Like 4/5 hours and you can get to Chapter 7, save, take a break, and the continue to chapter 10 (before Decontamination Room fight), save again, take another break, and the go to Chapter 13 (before circular laser room), save the last time, and go to get your Hard to the Core trophy.