Dead Nation Vita - Info and Tips Thread

M-Easy

The Vita version of Dead Nation is very similar to its PS3 counterpart but it does have some specific differences that affects how a few trophies will unlock. These changes don't warrant a full guide so I'll outline the changes.

• The first major change is there are fewer enemies than on the PS3 or PS4 versions of the game, this isn't confirmed but I assume its because the Vita cant handle as much because of its smaller spec sheet. While this does make the game easier especially on Morbid; it also makes the end game grind much worse, I'll explain while discussing Genocidiary.

• Co-op works the same as the other versions and yes there is online co-op, not Ad-hoc only. I can't be sure if it was our connections but while playing co-op with my partner the game suffered from lag spikes a couple times a level. Its wasn't anything too bad but if you we're playing on Grim or Morbid I can see this causing a few deaths. But again I was like 2000 miles away from my partner so that could have been the problem.

• No cross saves. You must do everything again for the plat/100%.

Now I'll outline some trophy differences:

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/592/05.jpg Genocidiary (G)

Kill 53,596 Zombies

This is the worst. As I mentioned before there are less zombies to kill. After 4 playthroughs (one in co-op) I was only at ~23,000 kills :shock:. This is nearly half of how much you should have after 4 PS3 or PS4 playthroughs. And after I finished all of the RoD DLC I was around 26k kills so this left a tooooon of grinding to finish off the plat.

If like me your first thought will be to hop online and help some friends/randoms while you rack up your kill count. But I choose against this because I wasn't sure if kills in co-op are separate or shared. So I replayed Highway to Hell more times than I can remember to grind out my final kills needed. Every round I got between 1,100 and 1,300 kills as opposed to the 2,000+ you get on the PS3/PS4. Each run took between 14-18 minutes depending on if I was trying to beat my high score that game. With this grind you'll be playing meta games with yourself to stay sane.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/592/05.jpg Morbid Curiosity (G)

Complete Campaign Mode On 'Morbid'

The good thing about fewer zombies is Morbid was ridiculously easy. I would estimate that there are 25%-33% fewer zombies during the game's hectic sections. This makes a huge difference on sections like the end of the Graveyard, the big fights at the Docks, and all sections on the Highway. So if you had trouble with the Morbid difficulty before, you shouldn't now :).

Now for the DLC:

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/592/37.jpgNever Give Up (G)

Survive to Round 10

I don't believe the fewer zombies makes this any easier because if you are going to die in this mode that death is coming from a Cutter or Jumper and there is no shortfall of these enemies. But the Good news is the (M)easy method of reaching round 10 still applies here. I got this trophy on my first attempt using it ;).

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntnrWNc1JdY]PS4 Dead Nation: AE Fastest/easiest way to get Never Give Up - YouTube[/ame]

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/592/38.jpgKeep It Up (S)

Complete a Round with a Kills-per-minute ratio of 100 or more

AND

http://www.ps3trophies.org/images/trophies/592/39.jpgCombo Master (S)

Get the Apocalypse Combo Kill Bonus (150 Kills)

Because of the fewer zombies these trophies are impossible to get the old way. Simply put there will not be enough zombies on screen to amass these numbers of kills at any one time so I had to think outside of the box to figure out how I would unlock these. After some trial and error I found this method to be more than adequate:

Play Arcade mode on Braindead. This gives you checkpoints and unlimited retries.

I used the SMG so I put some money into it at the beginning but I'm sure the AR will work fine as well if you want to use that. After you get the money upgrade your turrets and gun first then the mines last.

Round 1: Grab turrets

Round 2: Grab money

Round 3: Grab mines

Round 4: Grab health kit

Round 5: Go the score route an grab these two trophies, here's how:

Go the score/armor route and hit the checkpoint. Now go the score route and take the up/left route towards the final area. This way you will pass 3-4 Mouths who will spawn dozens of weak zombies. Kill as many of these weak zombies as you can as fast as you can on your way to the final area.

BUT do not go into the final area yet and trigger the checkpoint unless you have a KPM of around 75-90.

If you don't have the high KPM then die on purpose or quit the game so you can retry from the checkpoint.

If you do then go into the final area drop your turrets & mines and quickly clear out the arena. If done fast enough you should get the apocalypse bonus on the way to finishing the round with 100+ KPM.

Note: If you were not able to get Combo Master using the above method then do all the same things but go the armor route during round 5. Drop a turret near the end of the fire gauntlet to kill the firemen zombies behind you and rush to kill all the weak zombies that spawn in front of you as you move up. Now make that quick left to where the Egogate emblem is, this will spawn around another 50 or so weak zombies, quickly kill them and move up and clear out the final group of zombies. If done fast enough you should have around a 170 kill combo bonus.

So that's it. Hopefully this will help you out. This has been another installment of KiNG's corner, where I figure things out on my quest to "1st" and share my findings to make your try less painful. Questions, comments, or more tips are welcome.

Edited by M-Easy

Nice tips man. :thumbsup: Not looking forward to grinding those kills out if the number of zombies is basically cut in half. :facepalm: Glad that the RoD method stills works pretty much the same though.

Do have a question for you though since I haven't started yet. Does the game run well in single player? Meaning no lag spikes or anything that makes the game harder?

Nice tips man. :thumbsup: Not looking forward to grinding those kills out if the number of zombies is basically cut in half. :facepalm: Glad that the RoD method stills works pretty much the same though.

Do have a question for you though since I haven't started yet. Does the game run well in single player? Meaning no lag spikes or anything that makes the game harder?

Yeah it runs fine. But it did crash on me once during a mission. Nothing like the PS4 port that crashed after nearly every mission. So kudos to the porting team for fixing that.

Thanks for the tips on Keep It Up and Combo Master. Tested old method few times, the best KPM was 92+ only and 132 combo kills, quite frustrated. Lucky, M-Easy provided very useful tips here, able to get both trophies with first tried. I used armor route for Combo Master trophy and died purposely after hit 150+ combo kills. The game loaded back right before the armor and score doors, selected score route and used method described above, easily hit KPM 110+. THANK YOU VERY MUCH. :applause:

• 4 weeks later...

I did

Blade cannon

Money

Turrets

Money

Gadget road but not buying anything.

Score road

Maxed turrets, blade cannon, flares and rifle.

Placed a turret at 3 screamer running by them. In final area i threw flares, turret and started blade cannoning everything.

Ended with 170 combo and 112 kpm

Edited by morfar

Can someone explain this?:

I was at 22k kills after 4th playthrough. I then played highway to hell 4 times with 1100 kills each time. Solo, braindead.

Today i checked my stats again and it still says 22k kills....... Does replaying a single chapter not count?

It should count, as this is how I've grinded kills on both the PS3 and PS4 versions. Might have glitched on you unless the game somehow decided not to save after you finished the rounds.

Is it better to play solo for grim and morbid, or can you better have a friend with you? I know on ps3 in co-op it was alot harder.

Most likely the same. I breezed through grim getting all the loot when I did it, and I was able to run through 9/10 levels on Morbid yesterday in just over an hour. I haven't gotten around to doing co op yet so I don't know what performance is like on the Vita.

Thanks for the tips, M. Good to hear Morbid will be easier. I had no problems on PS3/4, but with the inferior controls on the Vita, and the small screen, I could see it being an issue with the full amount of zombies on screen.

I've had problems with the reduced visuals more than anything. It's hard to see what's going on, and I died on two runs through RoD because I couldn't see where I was getting hit from. Otherwise it's really easy, especially after finishing the game twice already. :p

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I was struggling with the Combo Master Trophy on the vita, then I found this video, and after about 5 attempts I got it.

Sometimes you will get runs, where a cutter or jumper gets in your way of getting 150 combo, just gotta let yourself die, and try again.

I was struggling with the Combo Master Trophy on the vita, then I found this video, and after about 5 attempts I got it.

Sometimes you will get runs, where a cutter or jumper gets in your way of getting 150 combo, just gotta let yourself die, and try again.

Cheers, just got the trophy using this method although it took me a few attempts.

• 2 years later...

Thanks for the tips, although I think the Vita port is straight up garbage for an already bad game.

During my playthrough I have had the following:

Enemies that I thought were dead magically reappearing

Directional aiming go in every direction but what I'm aiming. Practically feel like I'm going to damage the Vita's right thumbstick trying to target enemies

Gun just quits firing even though I'm pressing the right shoulder button, feels like bad input lag

Even though there are fewer enemies, Morbid is badly balanced with the above.

I almost think the people who did the Vita port barely knew what they were doing. I Platinum'ed the PS3 version and while it's a bad game, it at least is functional. The Vita port is

• 2 months later...