Tips for Highway to Hell

TheLazyBoy

I am currently trying to beat this level on Grim (Co-op) and can't seem to do it. I gotten to the very last checkpoint but can't seem to clear the hugh mob of zombies. I have tried to plant 40 mines at the beginning since my brother can wait in the store whilst I plant. We have roughly 180k between us.

Any tips?

It's harder in co-op and I did it solo on morbid and It took about an hour just that last bit

I had full upgrade rifle/shotty and almost the blade cannon and all equipment upgraded.

I first started by walking forward and attracting the zombies placing a flare then use the blade cannon u can take out like 20 zombies with one blade it only takes about 3 to take the first wave out, then go right to the corner next to a shipping container a shit load will come at you so place mines were they come then walk down the right side this will attract loads more and some of those fat zombies so now run to the left corner next to a supply crate. You can place another mine and just use the charged rifle shots make sure you take out those screamer things that call in more zombies. I usually have all grenades/molotovs/dynamite and shotty ammo ready for the next bit with the 3 blade zombies. I go towards the fire truck when a cutter comes out and toss a grenade to distract the other zombies then spam the shotty at it I do the same with the other 2 cutters. Then go to the back were there is a gate place a mine in front and then a few waves come at you there not to hard. When the gate opens use the blade cannon it takes out most then run to the back killing the rest some pop out of the ambulances then pick up the supplies use the riffle to take out the rest of the fireman zombies.

The the last gate opens and shed loads of zombies come at you I used the blade cannon again and used flares to distract them I used the shotty when i ran out. I took me ages and this was the method that worked best for me you just have to figure out pattern of the zombies and there spawn points

If you start want to beat the grim version of Highway to Hell you can better start the level over on mission mode instead of campaign.

This will give you an awesome arsenal and lots of money. When you beat the level you will not unlock the Grim trophy, however you will unlock the morbide campaign path.

IMO the best way to beat the Highway to Hell map (and the other levels aswell) is to fully pimp your (in order of importance) Rifle, Bladegun, Shotgun, all the gadgets, Grenade Launcher, Firethrower (only really needed for last level). DO not spend your money on SMG and/or Shockrifles.

Use the bladegun to swoop away large crowds of zombies as in the forelast checkpoint of Highway.

Up to Morbid Highway to Hell now :( SO hard. Any other tips?

On my Solo Morbid playthrough I really struggled in the last part of the Graveyard so I was not looking forward to the last part of Highway to Hell :eek:

However, I breezed through on my first attempt. I found that the single most useful weapon, by a long way, was the flamethrower. Not for killing the zombies, because it won't in one shot, but for dramatically slowing them down and thereby buying you time to act.

There is a YouTube video (I think it was linked in this forum in one of the posts but I can't find it atm) with a guy doing this section on Undead difficulty - he too used the flamethrower to great effect - might be worth a quick search to see if you can find it to glean some tips.

Edit : Found it : [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqfxO45jVdc]YouTube - ‪Dead Nation Final Level (Undead Mode)‬‏[/ame]

I appreciate that playing on Co-op will have increased the difficulty but hopefully the above may still prove useful.

Edited by poker_player
Added YouTube link

Playing coop you can trigger the last sequence by only having one person go through the gate and then falling back after they spawn. It makes the segment alot easier if you can funnel all the guys in through the gate. Use the launcher on the cutters to take them out quick. Also the fully upgraded shocker is probably the best weapon in the last level two levels despite what some people say, but it only really works on the military guys. It has more ammo than the blade cannon and if you kill everyone throughout the campaign you should have more than enough money to fully upgrade it and everything else if you skip the smg and flamethrower which are both pretty useless on grim and morbid (flamethrower is arguable but if you have the shocker you don't need the flamethrower).

Edited by Half_Sober

If you start want to beat the grim version of Highway to Hell you can better start the level over on mission mode instead of campaign.

This will give you an awesome arsenal and lots of money. When you beat the level you will not unlock the Grim trophy, however you will unlock the morbide campaign path.

IMO the best way to beat the Highway to Hell map (and the other levels aswell) is to fully pimp your (in order of importance) Rifle, Bladegun, Shotgun, all the gadgets, Grenade Launcher, Firethrower (only really needed for last level). DO not spend your money on SMG and/or Shockrifles.

Use the bladegun to swoop away large crowds of zombies as in the forelast checkpoint of Highway.

Thanks for mentioning that you can unlock morbid by just beating mission 10, I've been dying to get to that level but don't want to wait for my buddy to finish it co-op on grim. We tried for 3 hours last night and kept coming up short in the last checkpoint!

As said before, the fully upgraded shocker is best against the army zombies. If there are a lot of zombies grouped together and you're low on ammo (like, at the end, say) just give a short burst from the flamethrower to slow them down and take them out with the rifle. Also, flare+blade cannon are very useful.

OH and if you're doing co op, instead of wasting ammo on the 3 cutters, here's what you do: After the first area (right before the cutters), one of you stay behind while the other goes into the second area. When the cutters appear, lure them into the first area. When they're far enough back, rush back into the second area. The gates will close and trap the cutters, allowing you to take them out with the rifle (takes longer, but you don't waste ammo)

Don't worry, you can do it :) my partner died in the second area and I had to finish the fight by myself on morbid.. with the extra difficulty from co-op..

Edited by RabidJellyfish

• 4 weeks later...
... I found that the single most useful weapon, by a long way, was the flamethrower. Not for killing the zombies, because it won't in one shot, but for dramatically slowing them down and thereby buying you time to act. ...

Well, I've just finished a solo campaign on Undead and I have to say that I found it tougher to use the flamethrower on this level than I did on Morbid. Whenever I tried the approach that the guy in the video used I'd usually make it through to the cutter section but with virtually no health - not good when you're legging it from Edward Scissorhands and there are those sneaky little so-and-so's after you as well (look harmless but often end up swamping you).

In the end I got through with a combination of Flare/Blade Cannon to cut the hoardes down to size and then the Shocker. You guys were right, its fantastic when fully upgraded. I found it best if you can resist the urge to hold the trigger button and laugh as the zombies all fry because that's a real ammo burner. Instead, wait until they are nearly within touching distance and then just tap the trigger (you will, of course, have to tap it repeatedly when there are a gang of zombies all coming at you at one).

Well this Is my preferred method starting from last check point. (co-op). Equip a flare and blade cannon fully equipped by now. Just run as fast as you can into first arena stop just before them and throw a flare - then blade cannon the lot. Run about a bit with blade cannon and flare killing fatties etc. Next target the mouths as they come out and jumpers using your shot gun. Few grenades if needed here and there. (don't worry plenty boxes to re equip). Once gates are open second area place 2/3 mines in the entrance poss both sides. Send you willing bait in I.e co op partner as a human flare. Once you hear the cutters coming move back into open first area with grenade launcher equipped fire at will. I am assuming that your partner is also helping somehow. Once done send the bait in again bombies/cutters and kill them how u see fit.

Once they are cleared enter and start from the left use up rest cannon flares killing the groups. Re equip use whatever you have left. Once second area completed just as you get the swarm army men if you have grenades left just keep walking firing grenade just clears a path as you walk. When in last section time it right and drop the dynamite just before u hit chopper turn around and I timed right boom the final spawn all killed.

This was a morbid playthrough :-)

• 2 months later...
Just beat it on my 5th try on Morbid. Sooo bloody hard. The only reason I did well was because the screamers glitched and came out after I entered the second section lol Cheers, Brrnout
I am pretty sure that was not a glitch. My observation is that one or two screamers came out very late (ie after the gates had opened) on my morbid run (which took two attempts at the last checkpoint), which means that they may be triggered depending upon where you go in that area. eg I kept well away from the right hand side (where the ambulance is) until everything else was cleared up, using the top left hand corner up near the fence as my 'safe' area.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I just finished my morbid run a moment ago. Suprisingly I had no problems whatsoever in both Graveyard and Highway to Hell. And on grim I think I had to replay last checkpoint of HtH about 20 times whereas now it took me one try to pass it. I did have every weapon upgraded to the max (except for smg which I didn't purchase at all). Don't know if such improvement was due to morbid being easier than grim or something but I learned how to use grenades and mines properly and it helped a great deal. Also started to use shotgun more frequently (didn't use it on my grim run at all lol). You've gotta love this game. Wish there was a sequel to it.

If I were to rank most annoying enemies, 1st prize would go to the fodder that get killed with one sniper shot. Their sometimes unpredictable movement was annoying as hell. As for weapons my most used one would be the sniper (shocker in later levels with all the green helmet guys), smg useless, shotgun good for jumpers/mouths/slicers or those fast and tall guys, launcher only used vs slicers, flame thrower very rarely mostly on fodder to slow them down, shocker a lot in later levels vs green helmet (always shot it for a very brief second just to release it and shoot again, that way you save ammo and kill lots of guys anyway), blade cannon very rarely in last chapter only (but it is a strong weapon vs hordes of enemies), grenade and mines a lot, molotov and flare never, dynamite sometimes but rarely - mostly when I'm too chaotic to think so I throw everything xD

Edited by shichibukai

• 8 months later...

I just finished the morbid campaign, and did not upgrade the flamethrower at all. A single Molotov set the whole group on fire in the first area.

The flamethrower is optional, but the shocker is a necessity.

I had to tease out the military types in the third section 4 or 5 at a time because I was out of almost everything since all of the ammo boxes on the left in the second section gave only SMG ammo, which I did not own.