XboxAchievements Got a news tip? tips@ps3t.org
Username
Password

Go Back   PlaystationTrophies.org > > > >

Old 06-21-2011, 04:20 PM   #1
Raymondng

Default Weapons Upgrade Help

Weapons Upgrade Help

Last edited by Raymondng; 05-21-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Raymondng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:21 PM   #2
ben4185

rifle, mines, flares, grenades, shotgun, molotov, launcher, dynamite, blades, shocker, flamethrower, smg in grim and above. normal and braindead upgrade smg cos it will kill the zombies quite easily.
ben4185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:13 PM   #3
Vuule

Awards Showcase Word of Mouth - Platinum   THL Season 6 - Olsen's Secret List   First PS4 Game Nights   THL Season 5 - Cross-site Competition Champions   10,000 Posts   Gold  Road Map Submitter   PS3T's 5th Birthday Game Night Series   Jack of All Trades   Gold Submission   Guide Supplement Bronze   I Beat the Staff Too!!!!   Member of the Month Winner
Total Awards: 15 (more» ...)

Just keep upgrading your equipment and your rifle. Whenever possible, buy the shotgun/blade cannon/launcher/shotgun/flame thrower and keep upgrading those.

Don't buy the SMG if you're on Grim/Morbid difficulty, it's useless. Same as shocker. Well, for me it was anyway.

Check out my YouTube for Trophy Guides and More!
My Trophies Sig&Ava by RED_REBEL44

THL Season 7

Old 06-21-2011, 10:59 PM   #4
findaway

Yeah, upgrading the rifle and items (flares, grenades, mines) should be your main priority. You can do without the molotov, I rarely used them.

I'd skip the SMG unless you're playing on braindead/normal, as the above poster mentioned. Waste of money on higher difficulties.

Next up, Shotgun. Essential purchase in my opinion, deals with any of the tougher or unique zombies effectively. Flamethrower is great for crowd control, not much else. It slows down a horde of zombies charging at you, buying you some time, you'll still have to kill most of them.

I think you can't go wrong with any of the powerful weapons (blade cannon, rocket launcher, shocker). Just don't be some kind of jack of all trades, but master of none. I'd rather have one of these FULLY upgraded, than all 3 with few to no upgrades.

Shocker is a good example of this. I finished my morbid run last night, and I'd say this weapon can still hold its ground quite well, specially against those army zombies. However, it felt really underpowered without all the upgrades.

Also, I'd buy dynamite as soon as it becomes available. It comes pretty handy in some parts of the game.
findaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:44 PM   #5
Ayu

I generally upgraded the Rifle first concentrating on power and fire rate first then the clip and max inventory.

After that is completed the items are next with the flares, grenades, mines, dynamite and molotovs. Depending on the difficulty the molotovs arent as effective on the harder settings.

Once it becomes available go for the Shotgun, concentrating on upgrading the power and fire rate then the clip and max inventory. After that get the Launcher and upgrade that fully then go for the Blade Cutter and max that out.

After that you should be good be pretty safe to the end, and purchase anything you want, although I went for the Shocker over the flame thrower or SMG.
Ayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:12 PM   #6
Satnamji

Awards Showcase Maximum Clubs Top 5   2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)

Now that a couple of people have mentioned it, can someone explain why SMG is useless on Grim/Morbid? I just finished my Normal playthrough, and that was my go-to weapon and I always upgraded it first. Do the SMG bullets --even at max power--just not stop any zombies at higher diffs?

Blank friend requests will be deleted.
Satnamji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:08 PM   #7
TheNukes

Awards Showcase Bronzer Than Nothing   PS3T's 5th Birthday Game Night Series   I Beat the Staff Too!!!!   2,500 Posts   THL Season 1 - Close But No Cigar   Call of Duty 4 Birthday   Community Gaming Event Silver   Bronze Submission   Helping Hand   Maximum Clubs Top 5   Rockets Must Have Died
Total Awards: 11 (more» ...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satnamji View Post
Now that a couple of people have mentioned it, can someone explain why SMG is useless on Grim/Morbid? I just finished my Normal playthrough, and that was my go-to weapon and I always upgraded it first. Do the SMG bullets --even at max power--just not stop any zombies at higher diffs?
right, its just a weak weapon and unless your good at firing short bursts you will waste all your ammo pretty quick, you will also need the credits to put towards a better gun or upgrade for the final battle of level 10 (speaking Morbid here), stick with the fully upgraded shotgun, i used only shotty and maxed flares/grenades to get to level 10 on Morbid, thing is a beast for any mode hands down

Last edited by TheNukes; 06-22-2011 at 05:09 PM.
TheNukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:22 PM   #8
TurboSquirrel

On higher skill levels the zombies move more quickly, meaning that you'll need to take them down faster to avoid being hit. The SMG is fine for taking out individual zombies, but it just doesn't cut it for dealing with crowds. For that you'll need a weapon capable of piercing the front line of zombies and damaging lots of them at once. The Shocker and Ripper are by far the best for this and I'd say that either one of them (fully upgraded) is a must-have tool for getting through Chapter 10 on Grim and above.

The SMG is also (IIRC) the most expensive weapon to fully upgrade, meaning that you'll be sacrificing upgrades on weapons that would be more helpful to you during the toughest parts of the game.
TurboSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:14 AM   #9
Vuule

Awards Showcase Word of Mouth - Platinum   THL Season 6 - Olsen's Secret List   First PS4 Game Nights   THL Season 5 - Cross-site Competition Champions   10,000 Posts   Gold  Road Map Submitter   PS3T's 5th Birthday Game Night Series   Jack of All Trades   Gold Submission   Guide Supplement Bronze   I Beat the Staff Too!!!!   Member of the Month Winner
Total Awards: 15 (more» ...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboSquirrel View Post
On higher skill levels the zombies move more quickly, meaning that you'll need to take them down faster to avoid being hit. The SMG is fine for taking out individual zombies, but it just doesn't cut it for dealing with crowds. For that you'll need a weapon capable of piercing the front line of zombies and damaging lots of them at once. The Shocker and Ripper are by far the best for this and I'd say that either one of them (fully upgraded) is a must-have tool for getting through Chapter 10 on Grim and above.

The SMG is also (IIRC) the most expensive weapon to fully upgrade, meaning that you'll be sacrificing upgrades on weapons that would be more helpful to you during the toughest parts of the game.
Exactly. I rahter spend the points upgrading all the weapons/equipment needed. The SMG is pretty useless against all zombies except those really weak one's, which you can also easily take out with your rifle/shotgun.

All the SMG really does on higher difficulties is slow down the zombies a bit. I rather have them dead the 'instant' they look at me

Check out my YouTube for Trophy Guides and More!
My Trophies Sig&Ava by RED_REBEL44

THL Season 7