Patch not appearing?

PratikH

I just started up this game and was expecting the first thing to happen after launch was downloading the latest patch (1.04+), but nothing happened. The game still shows as version 1.00 in the "Information" section (this is the digital non-GOTY version).

Is the patch failing to download or is it just a cosmetic glitch where the version number doesn't update correctly?

I have had this game for over a year but it's been on my backlog the whole time. Today is the first day I actually launched it from the XMB. Is it possible for the patch to auto-update through PS+ even though I didn't have a save file for it until now?

There's also no "Dead Island" item in the Game Data section... did a patch download and install directly onto the actual game instead of as its own separate file?

As a last resort, I also tried the "Check For Update" option from the XMB when Dead Island is highlighted and I get a "latest version is installed" message.

I just want to know if I'm walking into a nest of glitches or not.

Edited by PratikH

The digital version should be pre-patched but it's also possible that it never got the patch. The best way to find out if you have the patch or not is to try the Thug glitch, if it works then you don't have the patch but if it doesn't then you do have it :):

• Method #2 - Breaking a Thug's Arms Exploit *Patched, impossible on the GOTY Edition*

The only way to do is delete the patch and play the game offline, on the GOTY version it is pre-installed and cannot be deleted. Start the quest "Make yourself at Home", which is found on the way to the gas station on the other side of the hotel. From here you want to climb up and walk along the fence, then jump in the backyard of the house. Go in the house by breaking the door down and you'll see a glitched out thug that just stands there. What you want to do now is break both its arms using a blunt weapon. Once you have done that, you will need to find a pair of knuckle dusters (bought from merchants or found about the island). Once you have a pair, wear them down on normal zombies until they have run out of durability. Now all you need to do is punch the thugs broken arm with the very weak pair of knuckle dusters. It'll do hardly any damage and you'll get 400 xp per punch. When the thug is on low health, reload the last checkpoint to respawn the thug with full health. Here is a video walkthrough for this method, credit to Nvoy123: